HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 13, 2008, 03:56 PM
Curiouser and curiouser
Rochester, NY, USA
Joined Oct 2005
2,061 Posts
I think I saw somewhere on these forums that GPW designed it -- it got copied by a French magazine without attribution to GPW and it somehow came back from France.
If I am right, is there a thread somewhere of the original GPW info?

Walt
Kokopeli is offline Find More Posts by Kokopeli
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 13, 2008, 04:51 PM
D'oh.. Dumb Left Thumb
London, UK
Joined Nov 2006
5,398 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpw
DO, Floppy Disk...Model builder Mag ..1991
Modele magazine (French)-aout1993 ...Grrrr!!!
I still havent had chance to see if I have this magazine Gpw thought it was March 1991
dekan is offline Find More Posts by dekan
Old Oct 21, 2008, 09:06 PM
A fool in a field.
United States, IL, Mahomet
Joined Dec 2006
286 Posts
Hi guys,

Here is my Drenalyn. Kind of an ugly duckling , but it is a beauty in the air. I can't believe how nimble it is for its size.

I only had 1 full sheet of 3mm EPP,so I laminated scrap EPP over the top with 3M contact cement. I may have stumbled on something, Laminating the sheets with the curve seems to make a stronger airfoil?
DustyPockets is offline Find More Posts by DustyPockets
Old May 06, 2009, 01:58 PM
flyin' fool
Vancouver Island, Canada
Joined Jul 2003
7,209 Posts
Just thought I'd pop this one back up again. I don't understand why this great flying foamy hasn't caught on here, this thread should be 200 pages by now. I see some showed up at the SEFF, so a few of us know of it's worth.

If you like Pizza Box Flyers, you'll love the Drenalyn. It will out fly a PBF since it's not pitch sensitive at speed, loves inverted and will do all that other silly stuff where rudder is needed.

I'm going to have just keep naggin' you guys til' you give one a go.
goldguy is offline Find More Posts by goldguy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Flyin' Fool
Old May 06, 2009, 03:00 PM
D'oh.. Dumb Left Thumb
London, UK
Joined Nov 2006
5,398 Posts
Its not that easy to get good plan....All the french ones are very confusing and out of date compared to current building styles.
Whats needed IMO is a good simple up to date plan....Most people just can't be bothered with the curved wing as they are unsure how to do it.....
Old May 06, 2009, 03:34 PM
flyin' fool
Vancouver Island, Canada
Joined Jul 2003
7,209 Posts
Your right about the French plans, but the plan at 'flyelectric' is not too bad.

I really don't use plans and just free hand a curved airfoil template in the shape of a nice lazy 'S'. Then I just build a foam box to glue the wing too. The curve in the foam produces a very strong light weight wing and well worth the effort. If building with Depron or PB111, you don't need any spars.

With it's round LE and undercambered airfoil, the Drenalyn is more predictable and a smoother flier than a square flat one, and flies inverted like it's meant too.

I even tried a combination of both with 'My Ding-A-Ling' design, as well as the KF airfoil and none worked well, they still flew like a PBF. So, the airfoil is the key and I can tell you there definitely is a huge difference in flat and not flat.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 06, 2009, 03:35 PM
For us He died, in me He lives
United States, MI, Saint Clair Shores
Joined Dec 2008
5,103 Posts
like it!

This guy looks like a lot of fun & looks rather simple a build. I am thinking as long as I have specs I could build w/o plans. Thats how I did my Snowball.
Don (bz1mcr) or Springer both have a mixer for me for my foray into the crazy world of elevons and I had planned on doing a jet.
I noticed a few pages back that this plane was also labled a poss "trainer"?
I'm gonna be getting used to ailerons on Gene's Blu51cd and was going to do an elevon plane next.
As you already know Dekan, I was narrowing my BW Prop in the Slot Jet decision down to either the F22 or GPW's SS. And now I see this guy. per GPW's advice, I was gonna do the SS per plans as a tractor set up and now I see this guy.
Would you guys think this would make a good elevon trainer? or should I just stick to the orig SS?
Geez, this list just keeps on growing and growing and growing...

Jimmy
Jimmy JFlyer is offline Find More Posts by Jimmy JFlyer
Old May 06, 2009, 05:09 PM
D'oh.. Dumb Left Thumb
London, UK
Joined Nov 2006
5,398 Posts
Jimmy...once you get dialed in with elevons you will love 'em ... Ailerons and elevator combined a neat solution and only 2 servos ...

The SD or a SS are both good elevon trainers...The F22 requires a little more work but not much

If Frank (Goldguy) recommends any plane... experience has taught me that it will be good...
Old May 06, 2009, 05:32 PM
Joined Dec 2008
5,103 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dekan
Jimmy...once you get dialed in with elevons you will love 'em ... Ailerons and elevator combined a neat solution and only 2 servos ...

The SD or a SS are both good elevon trainers...The F22 requires a little more work but not much

If Frank (Goldguy) recommends any plane... experience has taught me that it will be good...
Thx Dekan. I actually just got done reading the thread link posted by earl earlier. The mechanical mixing ailerons.... holy cr*p!!! after just looking at it for a minute it seems like..."why the didn't I think of that!?"
On a smaller foamy concerned with fuse surface area and weight it wouldn't go over well, but a bigger plate style surface with all the room in the world?
I gotta at least test this out, the one with the roll servo on 2 sliding rails & then anchored to a solid mount pitch servo.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...mentid=1701657
does this look like overkill? I am thinking that on the Drenalyn it would work nice just in frt of the vert stab.
Or do I just stop fooling around & just wait for the mixer? I get the thing tomorrow.
It's just the tinkerer & builder in me that can't resist trying this out & this plane looks so easy to build.

Your thoughts?
Jimmy
Old May 06, 2009, 06:47 PM
Curiouser and curiouser
Rochester, NY, USA
Joined Oct 2005
2,061 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldguy
Just thought I'd pop this one back up again. I don't understand why this great flying foamy hasn't caught on here, this thread should be 200 pages by now. I see some showed up at the SEFF, so a few of us know of it's worth.

If you like Pizza Box Flyers, you'll love the Drenalyn. It will out fly a PBF since it's not pitch sensitive at speed, loves inverted and will do all that other silly stuff where rudder is needed.

I'm going to have just keep naggin' you guys til' you give one a go.
Hummm.... do you suppose that there is something to those old tales about people from the bayou country being able to cast spells .... maybe this thread has been HEXED .... LOL

Walt
Kokopeli is offline Find More Posts by Kokopeli
Old May 06, 2009, 07:18 PM
flyin' fool
Vancouver Island, Canada
Joined Jul 2003
7,209 Posts
Maybe this thread is like the French.............it's on strike!
RCG Plus Member
Old May 06, 2009, 07:54 PM
flyin' fool
Vancouver Island, Canada
Joined Jul 2003
7,209 Posts
Jimmy: If you want to see these in action, go to youtube and do a 'Drenalyn' search.

Frank
RCG Plus Member
Old May 07, 2009, 12:45 AM
D'oh.. Dumb Left Thumb
London, UK
Joined Nov 2006
5,398 Posts
Don't do it....a lot of time and effort for something that can be done better electronically for less than 10 bucks...

Walt know what you mean, Gpw may have powerful friends
Old May 07, 2009, 05:07 AM
Joined Dec 2008
5,103 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dekan
Don't do it....a lot of time and effort for something that can be done better electronically for less than 10 bucks...

Walt know what you mean, Gpw may have powerful friends
Marty Graw Man himself is probably more supernatural than we all think!
I didn't say that!

I agree Dekan. I'm just gonna use the mixer.