HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 24, 2009, 05:47 PM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
6,836 Posts
I started the build this afternoon and am just done on the airframe

Its 22" span using 6mm depron.. I put a CF spar in near the back, underneath the wing but now I think it isnt needed. ( I will try it and maybe cut it off later)
The spline is two layers of 6mm..
Motor is a low 850KV version of the cheap red .. the CF2822.. It has a bit more power than a BW..
There is no profile cockpit because thats where I usually attatch the battery, with velcro strips..
I will fit the gear tomorrow
davereap is offline Find More Posts by davereap
Last edited by davereap; Nov 24, 2009 at 05:57 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 24, 2009, 11:15 PM
Alberta, Canada
Joined Jan 2008
189 Posts
Where exactly is it best to put the supports when building out of epp? And is one layer good enough for the fuse?
dean_85 is offline Find More Posts by dean_85
Old Nov 25, 2009, 12:07 AM
Singapore
Joined Oct 2008
81 Posts
I ended up using a 36gm motor instead of a 2204-14 simply because the CG was further back on my plane than i expected. AUW with 800mAh 2s is 200g.
23t23dS is offline Find More Posts by 23t23dS
Old Nov 25, 2009, 07:01 AM
London Ontario Canada
London Ontario Canada
Joined Apr 2004
1,045 Posts
Nice work Dave, boy you sure stay with the British Flag layout, eh??
I hear you guys got water on yer east coast, inland, not in the ocean....
Good to see you writing again...
artlane is offline Find More Posts by artlane
Old Nov 25, 2009, 07:20 AM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
6,836 Posts
Ive now added a removable UC system and weighing all parts my version is Porky
AUW is going to be 14-15oz at 22" span using a 1250 3 cell.. around 4.5-4.7 oz sq ft...but the UC can come off and a smaller battery can be used if I want to get it lighter.. Mind you too light here gets blown away.. so it will be OK

The reason for the colors is simply that I bought a lot of tape so just keep using it up,, also the red white blue colors show up very well, better than yellows and orange etc..

our weather here is settled in wet and windy.. the poor b's who got flooded are getting more..last night we had gale force winds and heavy rain, the ground outside hasnt been dry for a few weeks solid now... weird weather its more like our summers here already

EDIT After testing the motor I have now put on a bigger but heavier power system to get enough thrust... unfortunately this has increased the AUW to 16oz so the wing loading is now 5 oz sqft.. It does however have 24+ oz thrust .. No lightweight floater but not too heavy for good performance.. I hope..
to reduce the wing loading I should have made a much bigger version.. 28" span at 5.2sqft would get the loading down to close to 3.5 oz sqft.. that might have made a better floater
Last edited by davereap; Nov 25, 2009 at 04:56 PM.
Old Nov 25, 2009, 03:18 PM
flyin' fool
Vancouver Island, Canada
Joined Jul 2003
7,238 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_85 View Post
Where exactly is it best to put the supports when building out of epp? And is one layer good enough for the fuse?
Install one about 1" ahead of the hinge line and one back about 3" from the center of the LE to produce the bend in the foam. If you bend a piece of EPP with your hands, you'll see why and where it's needed. If you use one layer for the fuse, install a CF rod or flat along the bottom to stiffen it to hold the bend in the airfoil.
goldguy is offline Find More Posts by goldguy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Flyin' Fool
Old Nov 27, 2009, 08:26 PM
Curiouser and curiouser
Rochester, NY, USA
Joined Oct 2005
2,061 Posts
Where is the thrust line?
I read the whole thread - no thrust line
I am getting ready to do it.
Used Dave's SketchUp drawing - pull up the tape measure tool - change the 11" to 11.5 and everything is now scaled for a 23" span (all dimensions recalculated and displayed) - SketchUp is REALLY nice.
Looked at my FFF sheets and with the waves "spanwise" I will be able to easily fit to the sheet width.
Gonna put a big honkin' BP-21 motor on it. Ounce and a half - eek!
Figgered that with the heavier foam I would need more area and more power.
Now, just gotta find out where to put the thrust line - can't find it in any of the drawings.

Walt
Kokopeli is offline Find More Posts by Kokopeli
Last edited by Kokopeli; Nov 27, 2009 at 08:32 PM.
Old Nov 27, 2009, 09:03 PM
Alberta, Canada
Joined Jan 2008
189 Posts
I think its the standard down 5 and right 3 degrees.
dean_85 is offline Find More Posts by dean_85
Old Nov 27, 2009, 10:39 PM
Curiouser and curiouser
Rochester, NY, USA
Joined Oct 2005
2,061 Posts
Thanks for the angle, I need that too.
Now I need the location the the motor.
In line with the LE of the wing?
Or maybe lower?
Old Nov 28, 2009, 01:14 AM
flyin' fool
Vancouver Island, Canada
Joined Jul 2003
7,238 Posts
I cut a square of ply the size needed to attach the radial mount, then glue that to the front so the top of the square is level with the top of the wing. It's glued to the wing and bottom fuse, with gussets of foam added. And, as dean said, about 5 degrees down and a few to the right.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 04, 2009, 10:05 AM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
6,836 Posts
Ive maidened the model and it goes well, just needs some extra downthrust.. Highly manouverable and no problems, steady hands off, harriers well, loops tight rolls fast.. no vices...
I was also trying to video it using a micro cam on a headband.. unfortunately my setup was off target, and the micro SD card was too small, I only recorded for half the flight, and managed to miss just about all of the action.
I will redo the video now ive got the cam targetting better
d1trial(1).AVI (1 min 17 sec)
Last edited by davereap; Dec 04, 2009 at 10:33 AM.
Old Dec 04, 2009, 10:28 AM
Curiouser and curiouser
Rochester, NY, USA
Joined Oct 2005
2,061 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davereap View Post
Ive maidened the model and it goes well, just needs some extra downthrust..
So I guess I will mount my motor toward the high side - might reduce the amount of down thrust angle needed, eh?

Walt
Old Dec 04, 2009, 10:41 AM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
6,836 Posts
Initial fears that it might be a bit heavy are unfounded, it floats around nice and easy...
wjbite
It wont do any harm to have the motor high, mine is low and needs that extra bit of downthrust for perfect flight..
however theres no real problem and if adjusting the downthrust is difficult as I suspect it will be on my model, then I will fly it as it is.. I prefer to have a model pull up slightly when I apply power..
Certainly the first flight was more than encouraging..
Another good design..thanks goldguy...
Old Dec 04, 2009, 12:47 PM
flyin' fool
Vancouver Island, Canada
Joined Jul 2003
7,238 Posts
A good one for sure and a favorite around here. It's nice to see others discovering it. It is capable of doing some stunts that I've never been able to do with any other design.

Like the up and down flat spin. With a rearward CG......nose up, full down and full left rudder.....inverted flat spin......throttle back, hold the sticks until it gets low and then let up on the rudder, still holding in the elevons, and it will go back up. Feed in the rudder again and it will go back down, let off again and it will go back up.................

And, it loves inverted, low and slow, for inverted touch n' goes off the fin/rudder.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 05, 2009, 09:01 AM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
6,836 Posts
I am chopping the old ply plate motor mount and fitting a tube type.. I will have plenty of downthrust but still be able to adjust more with the different fitting
On the old fitting I had made it impossible to get at the bolts that were holding the motor back plate/mount
Last edited by davereap; Dec 06, 2009 at 04:43 AM.