SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 19, 2009, 07:43 PM
Cypress Texas
Joined Dec 2007
403 Posts
Being Picky

Tty Guy Fawkes Day If you are hung up on spelling.
CaptPJB is offline Find More Posts by CaptPJB
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 20, 2009, 08:31 AM
London Ontario Canada
London Ontario Canada
Joined Apr 2004
1,045 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjbite View Post
Hey! I didn't know that youse guys on the other side of Lake Ontario know about the 4th of July
Oh ya, we know bout that, just like you guys south of Lake Ont., bring skis up in the middle of July!!!!!!!
Tch tch.....
But then, flyin foamies in any weather is great, specially when it's indoors during the white days of winter...
artlane is offline Find More Posts by artlane
Old Nov 20, 2009, 08:32 AM
London Ontario Canada
London Ontario Canada
Joined Apr 2004
1,045 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azarr View Post
Interesting, I didn't know there was a country that didn't have a 4th of July.

Azarr
Ummmmmm, we beat ya, we have the July 1st holiday, CANADA DAY!!
Old Nov 20, 2009, 08:33 AM
London Ontario Canada
London Ontario Canada
Joined Apr 2004
1,045 Posts
And, now on to more foamies......
Old Nov 20, 2009, 11:59 AM
flyin' fool
Vancouver Island, Canada
Joined Jul 2003
7,380 Posts
Did you know that Foamy Day is May 28th. It replaced Balsa Day a few years back.
goldguy is online now Find More Posts by goldguy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Flyin' Fool
Old Nov 21, 2009, 06:17 AM
London Ontario Canada
London Ontario Canada
Joined Apr 2004
1,045 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldguy View Post
Did you know that Foamy Day is May 28th. It replaced Balsa Day a few years back.
Ya, got that marked on my calendar, every year... Special day, only for foamies tho... Anybody else participating and they have to take a written test......... and use a hotmelt glue gun to write the answers, or connect the dots.................................
Old Nov 23, 2009, 04:45 AM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
7,020 Posts
Hey guys check this out for me...Ive been working in sketchup and drawn a 22" span version trying to incorporate mods as sugested in the posts..Ie the 4% curve and larger elevons and more ballanced rudder..

comments please.. pm me or post and I will correct the plans for the best
davereap is offline Find More Posts by davereap
Last edited by davereap; Nov 23, 2009 at 06:12 AM.
Old Nov 23, 2009, 05:39 AM
flyin' fool
Vancouver Island, Canada
Joined Jul 2003
7,380 Posts
Looks good Dave. You may have noticed on the last few I've build, I made the fin smaller, both for looks (a personal thing) and weight. These LAR designs are always difficult to balance with too much added bit n' pieces at the back end.

The last time I flew my bigger blue foam one, it didn't quite do what I wanted. It used to fly like on rails, but for some reason was giving me grief. On inspection I found the motor down thrust no longer existed. The foam had compressed from smacking the ground a few times the last time out. A boiling kettle of water fixed that up and now it back to it's old self.

So, you may have to fine tune the down thrust as it's that important on this design.

I know you'll like this design, it's like a close cousin to the NutBall.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 23, 2009, 10:10 AM
Curiouser and curiouser
Rochester, NY, USA
Joined Oct 2005
2,066 Posts
"A boiling kettle of water..."
Do you just use the steam plume to heat the spot, or do you do something drastic with the hot water?

Dave:
Thanks - I have been wanting an excuse to learn SU.

Walt
Kokopeli is offline Find More Posts by Kokopeli
Old Nov 23, 2009, 04:04 PM
flyin' fool
Vancouver Island, Canada
Joined Jul 2003
7,380 Posts
For dents, dings, gouges and compression on 'most' foams, just pour boiling water over the blemish and it will expand back to normal. How much depends on how nasty it is.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 23, 2009, 04:39 PM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
7,020 Posts
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=920416

I started this thread for sketchup, when I started playing with it..and I post info as and when I find usefull bits.. I mostly do simple plans, but others there are doing some good scale work, and there are some usefull bits of info on the thread..Its a great program for free, and for foamie plans is a quick way of getting a plan with dimensions that you can scale to any size with just a couple of clicks
davereap is offline Find More Posts by davereap
Old Nov 23, 2009, 05:40 PM
Old age is not for sissies
Dayton Intl, Ohio, United States
Joined Jan 2000
8,029 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davereap View Post
Hey guys check this out for me...Ive been working in sketchup and drawn a 22" span version trying to incorporate mods as sugested in the posts..Ie the 4% curve and larger elevons and more ballanced rudder..

comments please.. pm me or post and I will correct the plans for the
best
Check out the ailerons on mine in post 193. I added the tabs just to see because my Osiris has them and rolls great at slow speed. They seem to add a boost and need to be directly in the prop wash.

We have several flying now with this mod and it seems to roll with more authority at lower speeds.

Azarr
Azarr is offline Find More Posts by Azarr
Old Nov 23, 2009, 05:52 PM
Curiouser and curiouser
Rochester, NY, USA
Joined Oct 2005
2,066 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davereap View Post
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=920416

I started this thread for sketchup, when I started playing with it..and I post info as and when I find usefull bits.. I mostly do simple plans, but others there are doing some good scale work, and there are some usefull bits of info on the thread..Its a great program for free, and for foamie plans is a quick way of getting a plan with dimensions that you can scale to any size with just a couple of clicks
Thanks, Dave:
I've been following that thread for a long time and have it on my LIST of projects to attack. I have been interested in SU since I attended SIGGRAPH a few years ago and went to a half day seminar on it - they clicked and gestured through it so fast I didn't really get it all. Then when I discovered that the curves I wanted weren't as easy to do as the stuff demoed, I put it on the back burner. But all of the great examples on your thread have reawakened my interest.

goldguy - thanks I will put the pot on and attack some of those dents.

Walt
Kokopeli is offline Find More Posts by Kokopeli
Old Nov 23, 2009, 07:05 PM
Singapore
Joined Oct 2008
81 Posts
Can the entire airframe, including the wing, be built from 6mm Depron? Looking at a 19" or 20" wingspan here.
23t23dS is offline Find More Posts by 23t23dS
Old Nov 24, 2009, 03:41 AM
flyin' fool
Vancouver Island, Canada
Joined Jul 2003
7,380 Posts
You can use whatever foam you have on hand. Just make sure the bottom fuse is strong enough to hold the airfoil to shape if there's a lot of tension when bent. The great thing about this design is, you need bracing at the TE only, the bent airfoil produces tremendous strength to the foam, even EPP.

A fellow foamy flyer built a 36 incher from 3mm Depron and it was amazing. It held it's shape for about two years until it was finally scrapped.
RCG Plus Member