HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 28, 2009, 12:13 PM
flyin' fool
Vancouver Island, Canada
Joined Jul 2003
6,967 Posts
Looks good Art. That sure is a big glue gun. Is it the 357 Magnum Dirty Harry version?
goldguy is offline Find More Posts by goldguy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Flyin' Fool
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 28, 2009, 06:08 PM
London Ontario Canada
London Ontario Canada
Joined Apr 2004
1,045 Posts
Naw, just mean Arts' glue gun... hey, this one has been in the house eversince I did some upholstering on a chair, why go buy a new one when this one works, and burns fingers in a flash...
Got the wing glued on, following yer steps, little here, press and hold, a little thar, press n hold, and then, the last little bit, all done, lookin good, now glue the fin/rudder on, only it aint cut out, rudder that is...
This hip operation of mine has me running back and forth to the pre admitting clinic.. they keep findin things wrong with me, so, another pill here, another one there, and a shot in the hip tomorrow, to bolster my red blood count, then, wait till the 7th of OCt. for another one, then, wait.................till the 13th... OP day..
In the meantime, finish the dren, test the little b**** in the living room, move the lights and tables first tho...
Hey, this is FUN...... You guys who haven't built one yet, better get at it..... Franks orders...
artlane is offline Find More Posts by artlane
Old Sep 29, 2009, 02:30 PM
flyin' fool
Vancouver Island, Canada
Joined Jul 2003
6,967 Posts
Ya, it's a good one for sure. I thought with Alx Heli pipping in and raving about it, this thread may take off. I've got one PBF and four Drenalyns, so it's four times as good .

As you may have noticed from 'Dan's Drenalyn' on Youtube, you can even play play baseball with it, although I think that was a floor hockey stick he pummeled it with .
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 29, 2009, 03:03 PM
Qualicum Beach B.C. Canada
Joined Jan 2008
85 Posts
Just watched the "Dan's Drenalyn" vid. ROTFL. I thought we were hard on the foamies!!
supraman359 is offline Find More Posts by supraman359
Old Sep 29, 2009, 05:08 PM
flyin' fool
Vancouver Island, Canada
Joined Jul 2003
6,967 Posts
Get back to work you slacker.............

Got the Simple Delta all polished up and a big bag of streamers, comin' for ya.

Tonight you meet your match, although I haven't had a match since Superman died.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 29, 2009, 05:59 PM
Austin, TX
Joined Jan 2009
647 Posts
Latest addition to the Drenalyn fleet....16"WS EPP

Tried a few different things this time.

Wing: 6mm #1.3 EPP with 3mm rod just ahead of elevon line...no front carbon...airfoil seems fine, see below

Fuse:Profile 9mm #1.3EPP with 3mm rod from front to about 2 inch from rear

Airfoil: Straight line from front top of 1" tall fuse baseline to 1.6" max at 4.75" then straight back to end of fuse (1" high)....KISS....was planning on sectioning the wing at the high point and regluing to avoid forward uncurl since I did not use any carbon strip in front, but did not have to...wing airfoil is great...maybe I lucked out on the grain of the EPP, or maybe 16"/6mm is either stiff or flexible enough to avoid the issue? or maybe its the thin fuse contact area on the wing?(its there for sure in other builds I've done,and its easy to reproduce)

9mm EPP nose block...hotglue thruout..welders glue hinges

Equipment: 1300 KV BW, 9gm servos, 10A ESC, 2S450mah bat, 9x4.7 APC

AUW 6oz.....3.5oz/sqft...hoped for 3oz, but still is super slow flyer

Drained two packs in my tight 25X20 clear area of back yard doing slow flight and high alpha....still floats well...will take it out to the field tomorrow for a real maiden flight and report...

was hoping to get close to the durability of my 15" 'gorilla" build, yet with more of the "float" I get with my 20" Depron....I think I am there

love to keep trying different build techniques on these things....total time to build <3 hours...
Atx_Heli is online now Find More Posts by Atx_Heli
Last edited by Atx_Heli; Sep 30, 2009 at 08:03 AM.
Old Sep 29, 2009, 09:53 PM
Joined Feb 2007
3,657 Posts
I keep coming back to this thread... I found a video that I thought was interesting on youtube with a 3d flair and big honkin control surfaces:

drenalyn 3D (1 min 35 sec)
tymbrewolf is offline Find More Posts by tymbrewolf
Old Sep 30, 2009, 07:03 AM
London Ontario Canada
London Ontario Canada
Joined Apr 2004
1,045 Posts
Hey ATX, good info, now let's see a video of it flyin... Texas weather this time of year is always calm, aint it???
As for my new drene, it's almost ready (Didn't I say this yesterday?) well, all glued together, next is mounting equipment on it..
When you look at the actual time I've spent on this, so far, it should be 2 1/2 hours all together... I do it bit here and a bit there, keeps the other half happy...
And Tymb, like that video... Sheesh, in the dining room yet eh? Boy, if I did that it would be game over, living room is bad enough, specially when I hit the flowers I just got wifey for our Anniversary, but after 53 years of marriage, she knows she can expect anything....
Well, back to installin...
Old Sep 30, 2009, 11:30 AM
Curiouser and curiouser
Rochester, NY, USA
Joined Oct 2005
2,061 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by artlane
....of marriage, she knows she can expect anything....
Well, back to installin...
I know how that goes - just bought my wife a birthday present - iPodTouch to replace her very old and failing iPod AND her very old Palm. Since she is a real computer geek I haven't heard much out of her - too busy experimenting with new toy - been getting LOTS of uninterrupted shop time

Walt
Kokopeli is offline Find More Posts by Kokopeli
Old Oct 04, 2009, 09:04 AM
Austin, TX
Joined Jan 2009
647 Posts
Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atx_Heli
...I did not use any carbon strip in front, but did not have to...wing airfoil is great...maybe I lucked out on the grain of the EPP, or maybe 16"/6mm is either stiff or flexible enough to avoid the issue? or maybe its the thin fuse contact area on the wing?(its there for sure in other builds I've done,and its easy to reproduce)......
Got to fly it for a day before I had to leave town until end of next week...but a few observations:

- not having the carbon strip in front works fine in flight....it has an unexpected effect in that during inverted, the wing tips actually bend upward under lift and make a "reverse" undercamber, which actually seems to increase lift considerably inverted....looks funny though

- I chickened out however on leaving it this way since I was worried that it was stressing the wing somehow and also wanted to see what changed when I added a CF strip back in front.....nothing detectable upright, but inverted performance required more elevator trim and it was not as effortless....but the wing under load looked more "normal", no lift induced warping to an undercamber....

next one I build in this size, I will leave it as original without the front strip and get enough time to see if this "floppy" version has any significant drawbacks in flight feel or durability....
Atx_Heli is online now Find More Posts by Atx_Heli
Old Oct 04, 2009, 09:29 AM
flyin' fool
Vancouver Island, Canada
Joined Jul 2003
6,967 Posts
Hummm? A Drenithopter? You may be on to something.

Just finished a FFF 17 incher with the elevon and rudder hinge lines on the same plane. It was simpler to do this way and I saved a few grams at the back end. Not much difference in flight performance.

Not much good fro indoor though, so an EPP version is in the works.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 08, 2009, 06:54 AM
London Ontario Canada
London Ontario Canada
Joined Apr 2004
1,045 Posts
Well, few more minutes of final buildin and attachin, and she is all ready... She, did I say? maybe it's a he, ah heck, hesheit....
Anyway, might get to try it before my hip operation next Tuesday...
Will paint it after I come home from the hospital, that's if all goes well with the test flight...
Old Oct 08, 2009, 10:08 AM
Old age is not for sissies
Dayton Intl, Ohio, United States
Joined Jan 2000
7,521 Posts
Jimmy Buffet meets the Gratefull Dead Drenlyn

As usual I'm always hurrying to get ready for an event. Just finished up my new Nutball (a very heavy but interesting version - I'll post more after the event) So now I'm working on my new Drenlyn. It's the 17" version and power will be from a small MPJet motor. The thrust deflectors are so effective on my F3P Osiris I decided to include them on this build. I'll report back after the first flights tomorrow.

Azarr
Azarr is offline Find More Posts by Azarr
Old Oct 08, 2009, 05:39 PM
flyin' fool
Vancouver Island, Canada
Joined Jul 2003
6,967 Posts
Hey man, are you a child of the 70's?
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 08, 2009, 06:18 PM
Old age is not for sissies
Dayton Intl, Ohio, United States
Joined Jan 2000
7,521 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldguy
Hey man, are you a child of the 70's?
The 60's, but what most people think of the 60's actually happened in the 70's. Unfortunately I missed it all while doing 20 yrs in the USAF.

Azarr
Azarr is offline Find More Posts by Azarr