SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 11, 2009, 11:56 AM
Joined Feb 2007
3,657 Posts
I am thinking about a 17-18 inch no rudder vert stab only with a 2204 14 and 5gs with a turnigy 6a and a small 4ch rx. Same setup as my tiny Bullseye delta, which Frank you need to try for no dihedral fun ret. I am also considering doing an only rt version of your drenalyn in the same add a small hole in the wing style as more LE adds that floatiness.
tymbrewolf is offline Find More Posts by tymbrewolf
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 11, 2009, 12:36 PM
Austin, TX
Joined Jan 2009
853 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tymbrewolf
......I am also considering doing an only rt version of your drenalyn in the same add a small hole in the wing style as more LE adds that floatiness.

just a thought....you might try an RET version without the hole first as long as the rudder is all above the thrust line...you can cut it out later if needed....my 15"er turns okay on rudder only....I was surprised initially, until I figured out why....in fact, there is so much roll coupling that I really need to modify the rudder for more area below the thrustline (right now its 0...) on my next build of it....if its all above the thrust/CG line, you get roll and pitch coupling...not a problem using it in hovers, or for coordinated turns in flight...but can't really make flat turns with it like a real 3D craft in its current setup...
in fact, that sounds like a good weekend project: redo my rudder on the 15" EPP gorilla

Henry
Atx_Heli is offline Find More Posts by Atx_Heli
Last edited by Atx_Heli; Sep 12, 2009 at 07:56 PM.
Old Sep 11, 2009, 03:49 PM
flyin' fool
Vancouver Island, Canada
Joined Jul 2003
7,372 Posts
I run the rudder down to the bottom of the fuse and taper the shape to get more area at the base. Seems to work, but I still make them too tall and have to nip them off.

That's my weekend project too.........adding a rudder to the 14". It flies great, except I keep wiggling that left stick and nothing happens and besides, it's needed for high alfa n' prop hanging, faux 4 point rolls, snaps, flat spins, etc.....boring without.

Might try a BullsEye when I get my indoor builds all caught up. It's only a few weeks away and I want to be ready, which I'm usually not.
goldguy is offline Find More Posts by goldguy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Flyin' Fool
Old Sep 12, 2009, 10:29 PM
flyin' fool
Vancouver Island, Canada
Joined Jul 2003
7,372 Posts
OK, so I shaved more weight off the 19 incher, got her down to 7.2 oz, for a loading of just a tad less than 3 oz. sft. Wow, me oh my, what a difference, a whole new Drenalyn at almost 2/3 the weight as maidened. This one is so good it can fly inverted in free flight mode at low throttle setting as long as you dare. Does everything else the best of any I have built so far.

Re-powered again, this time a BW 1500KV on 2S 800s turning a 10X4.7 at under 9 amps and balanced at 30%.

I'm getting there.....close to Drenalyn perfection that is. Going to whip out another for backup and try out another idea.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by goldguy; Sep 12, 2009 at 10:37 PM.
Old Sep 18, 2009, 03:25 AM
flyin' fool
Vancouver Island, Canada
Joined Jul 2003
7,372 Posts
big one........"I need to sit down a while, that pilot has me really stressed out".

med one......."I hear ya, he's a nutball".

lil' one.........."I wish I had a rudder just like you guys".
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 18, 2009, 03:30 AM
flyin' fool
Vancouver Island, Canada
Joined Jul 2003
7,372 Posts
presto chango....your wish is my command.........
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 18, 2009, 03:38 AM
flyin' fool
Vancouver Island, Canada
Joined Jul 2003
7,372 Posts
The big one 'Jenny Craiged'...........fluffy fun
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 24, 2009, 07:11 AM
London Ontario Canada
London Ontario Canada
Joined Apr 2004
1,045 Posts
Oh Oh, now that I've found the Drenalyn posts, I think Frank is gonna be in deep do do's with my wife..... She's always said, "Why do you need so many foam flyers?" to which I replied, "If I gotta die young (75) then why not do it with a Drenalyn???". So, dig out the EPP and the 2mm depron, laminate, trace a plan on it and start cuttin.. Indoor or out? That's the question.... Heck, enough foam left to build both... 16" for indoor mit a 10gramer on, and 20" for outdoor mit a BW on...
I saw these little monsters many moons ago, but thought, why do I need this as the Darts/Nutballs,Delta suit my fancy, but, like all else, time changes everything...
So, many thanks for pointin me to the right spot Frank, now get on with it....
Light you say?, two carbon rods? Undercamber made with the shape of the fuse? Hey, am I happy now..... And I have one of those mixers to hook up elevons, so, that will be the first try... As I progress, I'll add the rudder to it, then, after my hip operatin in OCt. and our indoor season under way, hopefully, by January I'll be a chipper and hoppin like I used to and get on with the indoor....
Speakin of which, any of you guys near or in our London, Ontario area, are more than welcome at our Fanshawe indoor season, oh ya, bring yer Drenalyns.... Kevin Perry has been kind enough to start and run this program for me this year as I won't be able to do it myself, so, with that in mind, get buildin, and get ready...
Boy, talk about gettin yer drenalyn going full speed, this did it.....
artlane is offline Find More Posts by artlane
Old Sep 24, 2009, 09:10 AM
flyin' fool
Vancouver Island, Canada
Joined Jul 2003
7,372 Posts
Art:

The Drenalyn is a natural progression to the next level of fun is you like Darts, NutBalls or even Pizza Box Flyers. With the right CG it will prop hang in a torque roll as easy as pie and fly inverted hands off, plus lots of other silly stuff, it's not pitch sensitive and flies as if on rails. It can be flown low n' slow, so makes a great indoor flyer for just poking around or landing on the wall. Yup, this design has been around a while under different names, but all basically use the round LE and undercambered airfoil, which is what makes the Drenalyns such a great flyer.

I'm just finishing up a 17" in FFF for a 19 gram Dualsky, which is what a 16 gram really weighs. Trying a few different things on this one to get it as light as possible.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 24, 2009, 08:05 PM
London Ontario Canada
London Ontario Canada
Joined Apr 2004
1,045 Posts
Boy, you aint kiddin Gold(y) locks....
Hey, best damn medicine I can find while waiting for the hippo op...
thanks Frank, now where the heck did I put my knife????
Old Sep 25, 2009, 11:18 AM
flyin' fool
Vancouver Island, Canada
Joined Jul 2003
7,372 Posts
Hummm? A hippo hip ? If they do that, you'll just want to lay around in the bath tub all day ......................., building foam boats.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 25, 2009, 08:34 PM
London Ontario Canada
London Ontario Canada
Joined Apr 2004
1,045 Posts
Ok, so you didn't understand the eastern guys lingo... It's a "HIP" operation.... Straight now????
And, wait till ya sees the nurse I'm plannin on layin around inthe tub with!
Old Sep 27, 2009, 07:05 AM
London Ontario Canada
London Ontario Canada
Joined Apr 2004
1,045 Posts
Well, unfortunately, for the new Dren, Honey dews got in the way yesterday and I only got to the point of being ready to glue the wing on the fuse... I cut a block, 2X4, 12" long and cut a 5mm grouve in it, then slipped the fuse in this, to keep it straight while glueing the wing, used two more small blocks on both sides of the wing, again, to keep it straight and level, got my hot melt gun out and ready to plug in, then the HD it the fan.... Shucks!
However, today, looks clear, so, glueing I'll do... Start at the nose and work back huh? Sounds feasable, only thing is, it's a bummer to get the hot melt gun in under the wing with only 4" to work in, but, gots an idea.... Short length of brass tubing, shoved into the hole in the tip of the gun, and presto, you gots a LONG tip to work into the small area....
As for the "Hole" cutters, been using these for years.. Balsa and foam cutting and they work great... Old trick but great for the newbies... Have several sizes from 1/8" up to 1/2", all with handles... Easiest thing to cut/drill a hole in foam with, and a neat idea to hide all those wires...
Have cut the fin/rudder off the fuse and no slot in the wing, will glue it on after wing has dried, and I burn my fingers some.... No rudder to start with, can be cut in after first trial flight... Using a "Mixer" I got from Lazer to operate elevator/alerons, similar to my Delta... Find this just as good for control, but if rudder is needed, then it's there to hookup..
I must say, it's starting to look great...
16" Dren, using a 10gr outrunner, again from Lazer, 10amp ESC, and to start, a 2C/730ma lipo.... Since low throttle is only needed to get this in the air, at least the 2C won't give it the squirrly burst at the start....
So, back to the bench. Pictures to follow...
Weight? Aint got no idea, yet....
Old Sep 28, 2009, 04:56 AM
flyin' fool
Vancouver Island, Canada
Joined Jul 2003
7,372 Posts
Lay the wing on a flat surface. Run a bead of hot melt glue from the LE back about 1/3 the way. Attach the forward part of the fuse with a rolling motion. Pick up and using both hands as clamps, hold until the glue cools. Now you've got the LE curve done.

Open up the foam and run another bead back another 1/3 and do the same as before. Now you've got the curve done back to the low point of the airfoil.

Repeat at the rear 1/3 and you'll have the reflexed portion done.

Now, pick up and holding in a good light, run a small bead of glue on both sides of the fuse at the 90 degree wing joint.

If your top of the fuse is true and square, you'll get a perfect fit every time.

The 16 incher for indoor should weigh in the 4 to 5 ounce range. Ditch those big honking lipos and use 2S 350 or 460's. There's no reason not to have tons of them, they're dirt cheap from HK and they are excellent lipos. If you order from them, don't forget the Turnigy Plush 6A ESC....another wonderful product from them.

If yer thinkin' mighty might, ya gotta think lighty LIGHT

Repeat after me..............."if you thinkin' might might, ya gotta think lighty Light"

OK, again, repeat after me...............
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by goldguy; Sep 28, 2009 at 01:05 PM.
Old Sep 28, 2009, 07:33 AM
London Ontario Canada
London Ontario Canada
Joined Apr 2004
1,045 Posts
Glue leading edge and hold, glue leading edge and hold.... Oh, that's not what you wanted repeated, fooy, now I has to strart all over again.
Just checkin the equipment i'm gonna use and so far, with all sittin on the plane, on the scales, it reads 3oz and my lipo is only 33gr, so, looks like around the 4oz finsh weight... then there is the landing gear, hummmmm.
Comin together fairly good and the block I made is very helpful in keeping straight, so's the tubing stuck in the end of the glue gun, altho a couple times it has come out, cause it cooled down and wouldn't let the glue through, but a lighter on the tip opened it up again... Hey, it's workin, not perfect but workin...
With todays weather prediction, and what's happening outdoors right now, I think it just might be finished today.... Hummmmmm, where's my paint??