HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 10, 2007, 04:02 AM
flyin' fool
Vancouver Island, Canada
Joined Jul 2003
7,398 Posts
Discussion
Drenalyn

So, what do your get if you combine the best of a Pizza Box Flyer, a USA UFO and the NutBall........the DRENALYN. It solves the pitch sensitivity problem of the PBF and dramatically improves the roll rate of the UFO. It's a great little performer and if you like in close slow inverted, prop hanging, silly 3D stuff or just poking around, this is the one to build.

No need to sit around depressed at home on those rainy days. Build one of these and turn your living room into a flight zone. Or, build it to suit the weight of the electronics you have for a low wing loading and let the fun begin. I've seen them up to 30" in span and keeping in mind 'bigger is better', think big.

Plans.............. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...5&postcount=99

A search at UTube will bring up some good videos of it in action.

fly SMALL, have a BALL
goldguy is offline Find More Posts by goldguy
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by goldguy; Feb 27, 2014 at 07:34 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 10, 2007, 06:33 AM
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
United States, LA, New Orleans
Joined Jul 2002
24,203 Posts
Gold , just let it die now , or you'll make me get warning points again ... Argh , the French !!!
gpw is offline Find More Posts by gpw
Old May 10, 2007, 08:04 AM
Time for another motto!
Utrecht, The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2006
1,413 Posts
Be the envy of all your friends and collect all 7 warning points
Just like we shouldn't judge the USians by their current president, you should not judge the French by one aviateur who made a faux-pas with copyright and attribution...

Gold, maybe you didn't know, but appearantly GPW had row some years back with some french magazine/guy that published his plan without permission or attribution. I don't know the details about it (neither do I think they are important anymore), but I do know GPW get a bit unhappy from mentions of this plane, and if he is unhappy, he designs less planes. We want to avoid upsetting GPW, so why not lock the thread before it is too late?
JelleB is offline Find More Posts by JelleB
Old May 10, 2007, 08:55 AM
Joined Oct 2005
195 Posts
Look like the mini JAR.
darkmask is offline Find More Posts by darkmask
Old May 10, 2007, 12:44 PM
D'oh.. Dumb Left Thumb
London, UK
Joined Nov 2006
5,398 Posts
Which motor Frank? Which Drenalyn is it.... the one with the airfoil wing or the Mk4 which does not.. as Dark has pointed out looks like a mini jar/VTO
Still fly a 16" R/E gws LPS RXL motor. I wouldn't said it was nimble enough for a small room but that maybe because it's R/E
dekan is offline Find More Posts by dekan
Old May 11, 2007, 03:11 PM
flyin' fool
Vancouver Island, Canada
Joined Jul 2003
7,398 Posts
dekan:

This one has an under cambered airfoil and is powered by a GS-C1820/12. This is my fourth Drenalyn based on the design found on that F****h web site. There's many foamies based on this design, but I think this may be one of the first. Or, maybe lil' Moe. The latest one I've seen is the EPP 'CRASH' from Cemech.

I've flown this version in a two bay garage that was full of obstacles (piles of junk) without problems, so a big living room should work. Although it was mostly in hover/high alfa mode, with the occassional roll and some inverted flight thrown in to up the pumping drenalyn rush. I flew it outside in the wind a few times and that opened up a whole new dimension in flying with a sub 5 ounce flyer, more like wind surfing.

I have another coming off the board righ now to put my un-used 3S 1200s to work. It's a Blu foamy, has a span of 19" for an a wing area of 2.5 sq. ft., powered by a 2207 Rocket and I'm shooting for 10 ounces RTF.

glen: Here in Canada we have two official languages, English and French. So, don't venture here on holidays, those bilingual road signs may give you a heart attack. And, if that will give you cause for concern, all consumer product that require instructions and that includes modeling products, are in both languages. So, you couldn't even visit our hobby shops. All this and we're metric too. Yup, us Canucks are really screwed up.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Flyin' Fool
Old May 11, 2007, 03:33 PM
D'oh.. Dumb Left Thumb
London, UK
Joined Nov 2006
5,398 Posts
Frank. WWW.Robotbirds.com sell the Crash (2 sizes) the little one is amazing, Cr*p inverted but stall turns, harriers and loops fantastic. I have been told useless outdoor in anything other than flat calm. The big one flys great, just lacks the grin factor of little brother
I thought New Orlean had a Fr***H quarter.....?

Still in a fog on GS motors!
BTW the crash wing is cut with the curve in it

Just seen the dart thread.... sorted!
Last edited by dekan; May 11, 2007 at 03:56 PM.
Old May 11, 2007, 04:05 PM
flyin' fool
Vancouver Island, Canada
Joined Jul 2003
7,398 Posts
We're playin' tag here........

Check over at Smart Dart on the GS motor. I'm not sure if they show the smaller one on the factory web site, but you can find the specs at www.absoluterc.com. They're over on the mainland and I think that's were the LHS gets them from.

The Drenalyn with the airfoil flys inverted waaaay better than a flat PBF. John Stennard did a diddy on the Crash in the Aug./06 Q&EFI and that's what got me back to this design. The first few I build were for indoor and they got shared by the other wall bangers, so they didn't last long enough to really appreciate what a great flyer it really is. What's great about the design, it that the curve of the wing is where it gets it's strength, so it can be built very light with little bracing. It has definately replace the PBF in my hanger.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 11, 2007, 05:12 PM
D'oh.. Dumb Left Thumb
London, UK
Joined Nov 2006
5,398 Posts
Thanks Frank.... it's difficult to keep up with you. Can't find 12t model .You're right I reckon I can get something similar from Robotbirds. Whats your Drenalyn made of?
I reckon a Mini Hoot may also work; as it a sort of PBF with tip dihedral. A bigger version of Paul A Cooks Round one also comes to mind,with elevons as per John Stennard mods in Q&EFI
Old May 11, 2007, 05:41 PM
flyin' fool
Vancouver Island, Canada
Joined Jul 2003
7,398 Posts
3 and 6mm Depron......

And......Q&EFI......the only rag I buy.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 11, 2007, 05:44 PM
D'oh.. Dumb Left Thumb
London, UK
Joined Nov 2006
5,398 Posts
I only use EPP now so I think a Drenalyn would be tricky
Old May 15, 2007, 01:58 PM
D'oh.. Dumb Left Thumb
London, UK
Joined Nov 2006
5,398 Posts
Here a Drenalyn clone made by Falcon models for their micro R/c systems. They call it the Stingray
Old May 22, 2007, 03:53 PM
Ontario Canada
Joined Aug 2003
541 Posts
Canadian Saucer

These models with the undercambered 'discish' wing remind me of Ernie Hauslanders "Canadian Saucer" article & plans from a 1956 issue of
'American Modeler' Magazine.
Ernies was made of 1/8" balsa bent to fit the curved fuselage & controlled by galloping ghost elevons.

Interesting!
Bob G
boberos is online now Find More Posts by boberos
Old May 28, 2007, 10:34 AM
D'oh.. Dumb Left Thumb
London, UK
Joined Nov 2006
5,398 Posts
Here an unusual Drenalyn Frank http://spazioinwind.libero.it/estiva...lyn_snoopy.htm

Check out the normal Drenalyn page
Old Sep 14, 2008, 03:47 AM
flyin' fool
Vancouver Island, Canada
Joined Jul 2003
7,398 Posts
Getting ready for the indoor season. Here's my latest, a 16 incher with a 16g, EPP and complete with a 'bent in' airfoil. With a loading of 2.5 onces per sq. ft., you know it's a beauty, a real performer for small, or big, spaces.
RCG Plus Member