HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by _Lunchbox_, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jul 19, 2007, 12:39 PM
marshall , va
Joined Jul 2003
784 Posts
the 4120/18 motor would be a better choice on 6s
it runs nice on 5s with a 15x10

the 4120/14 is limited to 5s and a 12x8e
4s and a 14x10 is good too

it complains after that

gotta use what you got though

Kevin
kmp647 is offline Find More Posts by kmp647
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 20, 2007, 07:06 PM
Plane on the Brain
Joined Apr 2005
841 Posts
Subscribing!!!

I got over fifty flights with an os.46 and supertiger50. This may be my next step. FWIW I only needed an 11/7 , but the rpms are different obviously

this is the only plane at my field that can do point rolls like the 40% 's
coolboarder is offline Find More Posts by coolboarder
Old Jul 20, 2007, 09:55 PM
Hodgehound # 3
Adrian, GA
Joined Mar 2005
4,441 Posts
that's great! I'm anxious to get to the field and get in the air. How does it fly?
_Lunchbox_ is offline Find More Posts by _Lunchbox_
Old Jul 20, 2007, 10:45 PM
Use the 4S Luke
USA, TX, Euless
Joined Aug 2003
9,343 Posts
Fast and straight.
feathermerchant is offline Find More Posts by feathermerchant
Old Jul 26, 2007, 01:52 PM
Joined Jul 2007
3 Posts
I picked up one of these over the winter as a first step into electrics bigger than a foamie. I just got started..there's never enough time....and I was happy to find this e-conversion build log. So, now with the questions

I originally picked up an AXI 4120/14 in Toledo for the project, but was later convinced that I would need a 4130/18 to fly the plane successfully. I have both now, so I'd love to hear what the performance of the smaller motor is - saving weight is always a good thing! Also, where did you end up placing the batteries? Can you post a clear picture of how you fit them in to get a good CG location? I currently have DN Power 2150's, which I will be putting in to a 6s setup. Too hot for the 4120/14?

Thanks for any suggestions.
tpascoe is offline Find More Posts by tpascoe
Old Jul 26, 2007, 09:38 PM
Hodgehound # 3
Adrian, GA
Joined Mar 2005
4,441 Posts
I just took some pics of the battery placement. I'll upload them in a few minutes.
I think the 4120/14 would have more than enough power. The latest plane Hobby-Lobby has (the banner ad at the top of this screen) says the plane's weight is 9.5 lbs and they reccommend a 4120/18 for that.
I know that on 6s with an 1108 apc thin Elec prop, it will do about 1200 watts with the batteries at 80%. Amp draw is around the 60 amp range I think. I may have to recheck my numbers tommorrow.
I also know that when I ran it up last week, it pulled HARD... Harder than my superstick with an OS .46AX on it
I guess We'll see how she flies next weekend... right now I plan on doing the maiden next Saturday..

Also, 6s is kind of pushing this motor a little...But, I never really have been one to follow the rules
not sure if your 2150s can hold the current this motor requires unless you go with a 2s 2p configuration...
You can look up the specs for the FP batteries that I'm using here at Atlanta Hobby's website
If you decide to possibly purchase those, you may want to give Hodges Hobbies a call. They had several there the last time I was there, and were offering a KILLER deal on the larger FP EVO 20 batts. You can get them at 866.924.9505.
Last edited by _Lunchbox_; Jul 26, 2007 at 09:46 PM.
Old Jul 26, 2007, 10:10 PM
Hodgehound # 3
Adrian, GA
Joined Mar 2005
4,441 Posts
Here are some pictures...

There was a lite ply plate between the LG and the firewall covering the fuselage. I was able to remove that plate and the batteries fit in there vertically. I did have to cut away a little of the cowling to be able to fit them there. As you can see in the photos, they do protrude a little out of the bottom of the plane. While I'm not really happy with that configuration, My woodworking skills and tools are lacking, so I couldn't modify it the way I wanted to. As it sits now, I had to add 1 oz weight to the tail to get it to balance. I may end up putting the batteries in a different location in the future, but for right now, I'm going to try and fly it with them in their present location.
Old Jul 26, 2007, 10:32 PM
Use the 4S Luke
USA, TX, Euless
Joined Aug 2003
9,343 Posts
Mine fit under the wing.
Old Jul 27, 2007, 10:28 PM
Hodgehound # 3
Adrian, GA
Joined Mar 2005
4,441 Posts
Can you get the battery in and out without taking the wing off?
Old Jul 27, 2007, 10:50 PM
Use the 4S Luke
USA, TX, Euless
Joined Aug 2003
9,343 Posts
Oh yes. Fits under the belly pan.
Old Aug 05, 2007, 06:29 AM
Hodgehound # 3
Adrian, GA
Joined Mar 2005
4,441 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by feathermerchant
Oh yes. Fits under the belly pan.
I believe I tried that, but my batteries were too big.
Old Aug 05, 2007, 06:30 AM
Hodgehound # 3
Adrian, GA
Joined Mar 2005
4,441 Posts
Well.. wish me luck. I'll be leaving in about 30 minutes for the 2hour ride over to Hodges' hobbies, and will do the maiden this morning. I'll report back with pictures and info this evening.
Old Aug 05, 2007, 07:15 PM
Hodgehound # 3
Adrian, GA
Joined Mar 2005
4,441 Posts
Well,
just got settled enough to get some pictures posted. While I can say that I am pleased with the performance of the plane, I was disappointed with how I came home with it.

I was able to fly it for about 2 minutes, and it flew great!! It was so smooth and went exactly where I pointed it. The roll rate on low rates was a little low, but I was satisfied with it. It was stable and would fly great at about 1/3 throttle. I sped it up a little and did a few straight climbs with a hammerhead at the top.
After about 2-3 minutes of flying, I landed it and checked the battery and motor. The battery was barely warm, and the motor was about 125 deg. (using the finger method) After another quick check , I ran it up again and started to take off. I got up to speed and lifted off. It made it to about 8 feet up, and the motor cut out. I was able to make an unpowered landing, but it was a hard one and it broke the landing gear and cracked the cowling. I made it out to the plane, and got the batteries out, and got it back to the shelter. When I originally looked at it before removing the cowling, I thought the ESC had burned up. I removed the cowling and looked at it again. Hodgehound noticed that the stator was moving when the motor started spinning. This seems to be the problem with the motor, as it is pulling the wires tight when it starts spinning.
I'll have to send the motor back and have it checked out.

I do love how it flies, and I can't wait till I can get it back in the air again and get in a few more flights
Old Aug 05, 2007, 07:55 PM
Use the 4S Luke
USA, TX, Euless
Joined Aug 2003
9,343 Posts
Too bad. I like mine. It's a little heavy but it goes where you point it.
The gear are pretty delicate.
I'm sure HL will replace the motor. AXI's are kown for their stator turning ways.
Wait till 3Dhobbyshop comes out with their large size Aspera.
Old Aug 05, 2007, 08:23 PM
Hodgehound # 3
Adrian, GA
Joined Mar 2005
4,441 Posts
I hope they replace it. I'll probably pull the motor tomorrow..
I've been looking at the 46" aspera. It is an absolutely beautiful plane. I think it will be next on my "gotta get" list behind the micro SSX from millenniumrc.