SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by _Lunchbox_, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old May 09, 2007, 08:53 PM
Hodgehound # 3
Adrian, GA
Joined Mar 2005
4,439 Posts
Build Log
Fashion 50 Electrified!!

All right! Time for another build of the next crash victim

I picked up a fashion 50 ARF (I don't know the manufacturer, but you can get it at Atlanta Hobby here ) at the Perry show a couple of months ago, and after much deliberation (about 5 minutes) I have decided to forgo the standard slimer configuration for the much cleaner electric power.
After getting most of the necessary stuff together, I have started building the plane.
First off, here are a few specs on the plane All from the manufacturer:
Wingspan = 54.7 In.
Length = 54.7 in.
Wing Area = 558 Sq in
approx AUW = 5.9 Lbs

I am going to go with an AXI 4120/14 motor, CC60 ESC, and 2 3s 3700 flightpower EVO wired in series for a 6s configuration. I'm not sure as to the prop size yet.
Finishing it out, I am using 4 Spektrum DS821 servos and a JR r790 RX.

Starting off, I looked over the wing, and the covering job was flawless, I could only find a small seam on the wing that needed to be tacked down, and there were no wrinkles in the covering. The 1st step is to glue the aileron hinges in. The ailerons come with the slots pre cut, so all you have to do is CA them in. They are CA hinges, but I can never get the hinges to go all the way in before the glue sets on the hinges I ended up using 5 min epoxy to hold the hinges in. So far that is only a minor issue.
Next is to cut out the servo bays in the wings. I cut the covering away, and drilled the holes to mount the servo cover in place. You have to cut a hole in the servo cover to allow the servo to mount.

After mounting the servo on the cover, I mounted the assembly to the wing. There is barely enough room for the servo to fit into the wing without distorting the top of the wing. I may end up adding a spacer to raise the servos up a little higher to prevent contact. There are some provided strings to pull the servo wires through the wings, so that task was relatively easy.
The next task is to mount the aileron control horns, and connect the linkages, but I believe after I get the second servo mounted, I'll just go to bed.
More to come soon..
_Lunchbox_ is offline Find More Posts by _Lunchbox_
to remove ads between posts
Old May 15, 2007, 09:57 PM
oh crap! did I do that?
cochran,GA
Joined Oct 2005
268 Posts
make sure that the control horns are in correctly!!!

Hey man wanna build my Katana...Just figured that I would ask considering you didn't WIN IT....LIKE ME!!! I was guessing you would want something to do with it Hope I crash... YEA.. YEA..

Oh and BTW I got some nail polish remover tonight I will let you know tomorrow night how it works as de-bonder

Later J
JTStone is offline Find More Posts by JTStone
Old May 26, 2007, 07:09 PM
Hodgehound # 3
Adrian, GA
Joined Mar 2005
4,439 Posts
I've been doing some work on the fashion 50, I haven't taken many pics though. I've been too busy to keep up on this..
I did take a couple of tonight to compare the size to the 3DHS Katana that my brother won... So, here they are Justin.....
Old Jun 10, 2007, 01:10 PM
Hodgehound # 3
Adrian, GA
Joined Mar 2005
4,439 Posts
I've pretty much finished the build of the plane. I am going to replace the factory provided hardware with new 4-40 rods and clevises. I really wasn't very happy with the supplied hardware.. Here are a few pictures of the plane during assembly.
The plane went together very well actually. The assembly is straight forward, and was easy. Even though mine came without instructions,and I had Cliff at AH send me some, I could have assembled this one without instructions.

I've done a little modifications in how the motor will mount, and also where i'll put the batteries in. I'll try to take pictures of the rest tonight, and also take some power measurements and post them later tonight..
Old Jun 10, 2007, 09:02 PM
oh crap! did I do that?
cochran,GA
Joined Oct 2005
268 Posts
If that thing is as fast as it looks its gonna scream...........

Hey man is that elevator control link on right??
JTStone is offline Find More Posts by JTStone
Old Jun 11, 2007, 06:47 PM
Hodgehound # 3
Adrian, GA
Joined Mar 2005
4,439 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTStone
Hey man is that elevator control link on right??
I dunno.....maybe you could check it for me...
Old Jun 16, 2007, 05:26 PM
Use the 4S Luke
USA, TX, Euless
Joined Aug 2003
9,343 Posts
I finished mine several months ago. I fly it on the motor you have on 4S PQ 4350's and a 15X10 (I think) and it's about 800W. It's really fast if you want it to be. Throws need to be about 1/2 of what you think on low rates. I used the DS821's also. They work well for this aplication. The gear are susceptible to cracking on less than perfect landings. It cracks at the bendnear teh fuse. I used thin CA and finally wrapped the affected area with 10lb spider wire to reinforce it. Seems OK now. I should make some wheel pants for it as they would improve the looks.
feathermerchant is offline Find More Posts by feathermerchant
Old Jun 16, 2007, 11:30 PM
R/C Electro-Gadgeteer
N.E. USA
Joined Oct 2003
813 Posts
Any one know what size spinner this ARF takes (have plane on order but need to purchase spinner).
Thanks in advamce!
Tomapowa is offline Find More Posts by Tomapowa
Old Jun 17, 2007, 09:03 AM
Hodgehound # 3
Adrian, GA
Joined Mar 2005
4,439 Posts
The one I have came with a 2 piece plastic spinner...
Old Jun 17, 2007, 08:35 PM
R/C Electro-Gadgeteer
N.E. USA
Joined Oct 2003
813 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstone
The one I have came with a 2 piece plastic spinner...
Thanks.... you happen to know the diameter ?? (I would like to buy an aluminum one)
Old Jun 18, 2007, 08:38 PM
Hodgehound # 3
Adrian, GA
Joined Mar 2005
4,439 Posts
The backplate diameter is 2.25" with a .25" shaft hole.
Old Jun 18, 2007, 10:02 PM
R/C Electro-Gadgeteer
N.E. USA
Joined Oct 2003
813 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstone
The backplate diameter is 2.25" with a .25" shaft hole.
Thanks jstone!

Amazingly, I received my Fashion 50 today from Willhobby.com (took one week from Ebay/order to arrival). As I thought, it looks a little different than yours (and what was advertised!). The color scheme is much better on yours than mine... I'll try to post some pics in the next few days. There are tons of things I already do not like on this model (instructions are pretty much useless to say the least... then again, I got it for $82 delivered so I guess I can not complain too much ). I just might start a new build thread for this version of the Fashion 50.
Last edited by Tomapowa; Jun 20, 2007 at 11:22 PM.
Old Jun 19, 2007, 08:06 PM
Hodgehound # 3
Adrian, GA
Joined Mar 2005
4,439 Posts
Please post your build log. I'd like to see it. The covering on mine was fantastic. I would have cahnged a few things on mine though. #1 on my list is to get some wheel pants... And yes, the instructions are useless.
I'm curious to see how it flies.. I may get to maiden it in a couple of weeks... hopefully before then I'll get some more pics taken of the finished product.
Old Jun 21, 2007, 01:42 AM
R/C Electro-Gadgeteer
N.E. USA
Joined Oct 2003
813 Posts
[QUOTE=jstone]Please post your build log. I'd like to see it. ... [QUOTE]

Well..
Here we go... HOLD ON TIGHT!
(I think it's going to be a rough ride! )

Build thread for the "Fashion 50" by Willhobby.com
==================================================
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=702599
Old Jul 17, 2007, 09:29 PM
Hodgehound # 3
Adrian, GA
Joined Mar 2005
4,439 Posts
"OK people"

Well, I finally got the fashion 50 99% completed. I have all the linkages connected, the TX programming complete, and everything finished except for mounting wheel pants and adding weight to balance it. Here are the final pictures of the motor mount, ESC mount and of the finished plane minus prop.

I started out using a 12x6 APC prop. that gave me about 1500 watts when the batteries were fresh. After running them a little, it dropped to 1300 watts.
I'm going to try an 11x8 and see what happens. ( it is all I have at the moment)

Here is the setup as it sits:
Motor: AXI 4120-14
ESC: Castle Phoenix 80
Batteries: FP EVO20 (2) 3s 3700 in 6s config.
UBEC BEC
JR R770 rx
Spektrum DS 821 servos

I hope to get some real numbers on the motor when I decide on a prop size. until then.....

Now to get to Hodges to do the maiden