HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 09, 2007, 06:57 PM
Crashin' n learnin'
Hopkinsville, KY
Joined Dec 2006
807 Posts
Discussion
CX2 Positive Power Lead Loose From 4-in-1

About 6 weeks ago I had the positive (red) power lead come loose from the 4-in-1 circuit board. I spent several hours getting the board cleaned, the hole cleared and the lead re-soldered. It was difficult because of the small amount of room to solder and the way these power leads are micro-soldered so close together. It worked but just came loose again.

I am replacing the 4-in-1 right now with a new one because I don't think fixing the old one again will be successful. But, I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem.

klondikes
klondikes is offline Find More Posts by klondikes
to remove ads between posts
Old May 11, 2007, 12:19 AM
CA
Joined May 2007
1,099 Posts
CX2 Positive Power Lead Loose From 4-in-1

Klondikes

The exact problem problem you mentioned happened to me and almost sure will eventually happen to the rest of us but there is a fix and unfortunately I wasn't able to fix it and had the same difficulties as you have. The good news is this is preventable. The solution is to tie-wrap the power leads to the battery tray see attached photo

additional photos, mods, description are posted on my photo sharing site[hope linking is allowed] but its password protected just type: cx2

http://www.pbase.com/pixelphoto/heli
Kamov is offline Find More Posts by Kamov
Old May 11, 2007, 03:05 AM
The Shadows are coming!
Glen Forrest, Western Australia
Joined Dec 2006
1,373 Posts
Good thinking. That's a fearsome set of pics on your website. I see that you weren't game to leave the heli in idle when you set the Tx down on the ground along side it.
Sirion is offline Find More Posts by Sirion
Old May 11, 2007, 08:24 AM
Crashin' n learnin'
Hopkinsville, KY
Joined Dec 2006
807 Posts
I did a similar mod with my new 4-in-1. I figured the problem was the strain on the connection at the 4-in-1 when moving the leads when connecting and disconnecting the LiPo. The fix is to isolate the leads from the 4-in-1 so they do not move at the connection. I also have a LiGlow LiPo alarm kit that I incorporated into my fix. The attached pics show how I have the leads from the 4-in-1 going around the front of the 4-in-1 and the JST connector is fixed to the right side of the 4-in-1. Then I attached a jumper and connected my LiGlow alarm to the JST connector and have plenty, actually too much, extra wire on the jumper that goes to the LiPo.

In use, I put the battery in with the connection forward. I connect the jumper and stuff all the excess wire into the nose of the heli. I am a stickler on having no wires showing outside of the heli during flight. I am really anal about seeing electrical wires hanging from a heli. Probably a psychological malfunction within me but I just refuse to allow electrical wires to show outside the canopy.

Anyway, I believe this mod will keep any connection at the 4-in-1 from coming loose again.

Oh, and the pics on Kamov's site are really nice. That pic of the 4-in-1 circuit board where the power leads connect looks so familure. Not that I spent 4 hours with a solder wick, solder picks, a magnifying glass and a soldering iron cleaning that positive lead connection and re-soldering the positive wire to the board.

Happy flying.

klondikes
klondikes is offline Find More Posts by klondikes