Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old May 08, 2007, 09:14 AM
Joined Dec 2006
20 Posts
Discussion
My first brush with "fly away"

It was a beautiful evening. The wind was dead calm in my seaside town of Edmonds, WA and we were just arriving home from my son's baseball practice at sunset. We grabbed the Hobbyzone Super Cub and one battery since it was bedtime for the boys. I flew around for about 4-5 minutes, then shot a couple of touch and goes, with the second one really mashing into the ground, then climbed to several hundred feet to allow my 9 year old a chance to fly. He did a couple loops, then a spiraling dive which I helped him recover from, then the plane stopped responding and the engine quite.
I fly out of a baseball field across the street from my home, but there are houses all around and a small stand of tall trees to the one corner of the field.
The plane was quite high as it started to glide away from us, then started a slow turn which then developed into a very steep spiraling decent, just missing the trees and auguring into the ground one wing low, cart wheeling to a stop. Of course half the neighbors come out when I fly so I was chastised for that "landing."
I looked over the plane and not a bit of damage other than the front of the wing tips chipped of. Opening the battery compartment, it was completely unplugged! Plugged it back in and got 5 more minutes out of it. What a tough little plane.
Anyways, the battery leads from the plane are so short, I have a tough time getting the battery in and it pushes against the "latch" of the battery plug, so am sure that hard touch and go caused it to disengage. Anyone have any suggestions for putting the battery in?
Crash812 is offline Find More Posts by Crash812
to remove ads between posts
Old May 08, 2007, 11:03 AM
SE london
Joined Mar 2007
76 Posts
velcro strap or a strip on the pack and fuselage. are the connectors stock if so i would upgrade them to deans ultra if ya know how to solder or try powerpoles if you don't know how to solder just buy a crimper and your all set. your will have to solder at somepoint in the hobby so you might as well start now .this is a pic of a deans ultra
deans ultra connector

and this is powerpoles
powerpole connector

this means your connectors would hold togeather better so no loss of power .
itchithekiller is offline Find More Posts by itchithekiller
Old May 08, 2007, 01:01 PM
feel no remorse
underground
Joined Jun 2004
1,184 Posts
Loosing control of the plane while flying is my worst nightmare How did you feel at the time of its crash? while falling down?

Tom
youth must fly is offline Find More Posts by youth must fly
Old May 08, 2007, 01:39 PM
Well, now that you know ...
Grafton, Massachusetts, United States
Joined Sep 2004
5,569 Posts
It finally happened to me a couple of weeks ago with my E-starter. All of a sudden, no motor, no control while about 100' up. Waggling the sticks frantically didn't help. Watched it settle into the top of a tree.

It was terrifying watching my baby float around in a wide circle by itself.

I believe the ESC overheated. It responded fine 5 minutes later (from the top of the tree).
Bigster is online now Find More Posts by Bigster
Old May 08, 2007, 04:09 PM
Retardedly intelligent
beavercreek,ohio
Joined Jan 2007
3,844 Posts
that reminds me of a funny time when my stupid brother didint get a battery door and went flying anyway. so there the PZ cub 200 feet up then we see something fall out the plane it kept stalling about 20 times then landed in the grass toataly unharmed the battery tore slightly
foam and tape is online now Find More Posts by foam and tape
Old May 08, 2007, 05:25 PM
Joined Dec 2006
20 Posts
A little back ground on me. I am a private pilot, but no longer have the extra $$$ since we now live in an expensive area and have three wonderful small children. My head is always in the clouds, so anything aviation gets me going, and being able to fly R/C takes the itch off. I just got this Super Cub three weeks ago, my first R/C plane in over 14 years (flew gas before), and my wife thought it a waste of money to spend my b-day $ on, but I had been looking at these for two years now.
This was only my 5th flight and my first thought was what my wife was going to say about losing it. Then when it started to circle back and dive, I thought "this sucks" and "please please please respond." As it hit the ground and I didn't see any pieces flying off, I was hopeful. Then when I got to it, saw only the wingtip damage, and the cracked cowl around the "air intake", a wave of relief swept over me.
Regardless of the lack of ailerons, this is going to be a fun plane considering the field I get to fly out of.
Crash812 is offline Find More Posts by Crash812
Old May 08, 2007, 06:32 PM
Livermore, CA
Joined Sep 2004
8,575 Posts
On some of my planes, I take a piece of the cheapest, lightest styrofoam and cut it to fit to hold the batt without adding much weight.
When your ready to build a fumnner plane for small areas, try a Boomer.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=586942

I remarried a couple years back and had to sell my Cessna Aerobat. These RC planes are fun as well, but I'm itching to get back behind a real stick soon. Butch
Butch777 is online now Find More Posts by Butch777