HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 07, 2007, 09:26 PM
Joined May 2007
9 Posts
Discussion
Problem with my AA

Hello,
I have an aero ace (because all of you talked me into it after reading these forms for a bit) but today it was having problems and wouldnt fly. It is still pretty new, and has normally flew very well, but today it would only turn right into death spirals, despite triming it all the way to the left. And if I gave it full left turn it still did a slow right turn and slowly decended until it landed after I would launch it. When I throttle up and then let go, the left prop seems to spin faster and much longer then the right, so it appears as if the right is binding up, or underpowered. Any ideas for getting it flight worthy, since full left rudder, and full left trim is unflyable. And full left turn on the Tx means there isnt enough power given to the left motor and it just decends. Thanks in advance.
Veldrane is offline Find More Posts by Veldrane
to remove ads between posts
Old May 07, 2007, 10:02 PM
Quit asking ???s, get a Quark!
On a 20ft ladder with a 20ft stick beating an airplane out of a tree. In Spokane, WA.
Joined Oct 2006
713 Posts
sounds like the right motor is fried. give it a glide test. if it glides straight, then its a motor problem. take it back. I have returned 3 AAs due to mototrs failing within the 1st 5 flites. next one you get, try this........ the batt from the factory usually has enough poer in it for a burn in. set the plane on something and weight it down. hold the throttle at the 1st step until the lvc cuts in. its usually about 5 to 8 minutes. gives the motors a nice burn-in. Less problems down the road
wetwolf is offline Find More Posts by wetwolf
Old May 07, 2007, 10:12 PM
Joined May 2007
9 Posts
well, I think you may be correct, i was looking at it, trying to make sure nothing was jammed in it or anything, and promptly the motor completly quit on me. Is this something air hogs like you to return to them, or will my friendly neighborhood walmart be the "proper" location to return it to? Thanks for all the help.

No thanks for getting me addicted to planes, I have a bigger Hobbyzone Firebird ST II, along with an estes sky ranger and now an Aero ace (or 2, along with a havoc heli..... you guys all suck at getting me addicted, i was fine with just the Firebird for the longest time because I couldnt fly it that often due to having to get off my lazy but and drive out to a bigger park, but now I have the bug, I want the other Aero aces, and I want a new plane with more channels for more of a challange flying. I am thinking of going for the Begin Air from parkflyers..... you are all to blame for this I hope you know) Thanks again.
Old May 07, 2007, 10:28 PM
On a 20ft ladder with a 20ft stick beating an airplane out of a tree. In Spokane, WA.
Joined Oct 2006
713 Posts
bwuahh ha ha, welcome to the darkside. my neighbor and i had 2 jaunts to the park down the road yesterday. (4blocks) and a flite in the street at nite. the only reason we ad to get off our butts to go to the park is because he had just got done installing xpv guts into one of those $6 foam boeing style gliders. not nearly enuff room in the street for that thing.

Take it back to wally world and get another one.
Old May 08, 2007, 12:14 AM
Joined May 2007
9 Posts
Thanks again, back to wally world tomorrow i guess..... and I will have to refrain from getting the AA sport (but i really really want one!!!!!!)

And now for the random question of the hour.... what does CG stand for, I think I am getting most of the abbreviations down around here, but thats one that I cant figure out, and didnt find on the abbreviation thread over in the beginner section. Thanks
Old May 08, 2007, 01:11 AM
KC
Registered Loiterer.
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Sep 2006
3,870 Posts
CG = Center of Gravity.

Welcome to the RCG veldrane!

KC
KC is offline Find More Posts by KC
Old May 08, 2007, 01:19 AM
User Extraordinaire
Davao, Philippines
Joined Apr 2007
1,041 Posts
Aside from faulty motors & electronics, also check the thrust angles of the motors when getting a replacement sport(or any AA). The right motor on my sport (viewed from the rear) has a bit more downward angle compared to the left motor. This results with the right wing being pushed upwards causing a left dive. Giving full right trim on the Tx, it flew level & climbs pretty well. I've since added counter weights(pushpins) on the right wing & cut aileron trim tabs, right wing up, left wing down. Now my sport flies straight with the Tx trim knob centered.

I also noticed that the rudder has a left turn angled to it, so i also cut trim tabs. I dunno if the sport was designed that way (to fly in circles), but as much as possible I would want a straight bird. Looking back, I should have re-mounted the motors for a balanced thrust & re-install the rudder. It would make for a lighter model with less drag without the trim tabs, better flight time.

Well there's always a next time.

CG:Center of Gravity

Happy Flying!

Allan
batusaix is offline Find More Posts by batusaix
Old May 08, 2007, 02:06 AM
TheyreComingToTakeMeAway!
USA, ID, Coeur D'Alene
Joined Dec 2003
5,451 Posts
allan, if you want trim tabs, you can cut the foam for a surface like that in larger models, and then reattach it with short lengths of 24-30 gage copper wire. this way, it is movable but will hold the trim settings. almost no weight added and no drag either. this is what the free flight guys do to trim their models.
derk is offline Find More Posts by derk
Old May 08, 2007, 08:05 PM
User Extraordinaire
Davao, Philippines
Joined Apr 2007
1,041 Posts
Thank you for the tip derk.
What I was trying to get at was, a crooked bird whose flight is corrected by trim tabs would always have a bit of drag compared to a straight bird not needing any trim tabs.
Allan
batusaix is offline Find More Posts by batusaix
Old May 08, 2007, 09:12 PM
Joined May 2007
9 Posts
Well, good ol wally world now has my broken AA, but of course both them and target were out of stock of all Aero aces.... so now the hunt to find a new one (Im not addicted, im not, yet somehow I feel I am being sucked into a cult like society)
Old May 08, 2007, 10:13 PM
Joined Oct 2006
713 Posts
don't forget toysrus
Old May 08, 2007, 10:16 PM
Joined Oct 2006
713 Posts
hey derk, do you have a hangar to fly in?? I work in Hayden and would love to find a big indoor space!
Old May 08, 2007, 10:20 PM
Im stupider than you!
Pekin Illinois
Joined Aug 2006
1,722 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veldrane
well, I think you may be correct, i was looking at it, trying to make sure nothing was jammed in it or anything, and promptly the motor completly quit on me. Is this something air hogs like you to return to them, or will my friendly neighborhood walmart be the "proper" location to return it to? Thanks for all the help.

No thanks for getting me addicted to planes, I have a bigger Hobbyzone Firebird ST II, along with an estes sky ranger and now an Aero ace (or 2, along with a havoc heli..... you guys all suck at getting me addicted, i was fine with just the Firebird for the longest time because I couldnt fly it that often due to having to get off my lazy but and drive out to a bigger park, but now I have the bug, I want the other Aero aces, and I want a new plane with more channels for more of a challange flying. I am thinking of going for the Begin Air from parkflyers..... you are all to blame for this I hope you know) Thanks again.
www.lightflite.com Thats what ya want,I can 3d in my front yard,or rip up the sky,very tough versatile plane!
rhondaward is offline Find More Posts by rhondaward
Old May 08, 2007, 10:23 PM
TheyreComingToTakeMeAway!
USA, ID, Coeur D'Alene
Joined Dec 2003
5,451 Posts
i usually fly outside or, if the plane will take it, at work in our warehouse. but its hard to get a plane to fly in there unless it can prop hang. i have thought about just walking into a big store and start flying inside but i think i would get kicked out.
mostly i fly in cda at either the park or the empty lot next to my house.
derk is offline Find More Posts by derk