HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by RAY GWS, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Dec 07, 2007, 04:17 PM
Carberry, MB Canada
Joined Feb 2004
172 Posts
I had noticed that some folks here are not paying close attention to the other posters. I asked some questions that were hastily answered and did not contain the info I sought. It was as if I was an intruder.I did not want to start anything. I saw how you had been made to feel the same by your post at the top of page 87, and wanted to point out that just cause were just joining in now, we are not stupid. And then I was basically told to not post here. (keep mouth shut untill spoken to.)

The Don: start another thread for the EPO version. I think alot of guys would like a specific EPO thread on this model and I would love to follow it as I am awaiting delivery right now!
spitcrazy is offline Find More Posts by spitcrazy
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 07, 2007, 04:26 PM
Joined Jan 2006
1,413 Posts
hmmm interesting topics going on here. I would like to put in my 2cents if thats ok. I use a 4S 2200mAh lipo and it is just balancing with the pack where it is. It weighs 230 grams (dont know what that is in imperial sorry guys)

Don,

What packs are you using exactly? I must have missed it. Surely it cant be the 2200 3S packs? My 4 cell 2200 pack just fits nice and snug.

Regarding Hand Launch v Bungee Launch. I had launch mine... well, i dont do it personally, a mate does. He puts two fingers on the intakes and two where the pusher prop bit goes and throws it straight and it climbs away

I think tailslide ment Noob as in a noob to the GWS f15? Im not exactly sure but wana turn over a new leaf fellers?
SNIPE_53 is offline Find More Posts by SNIPE_53
Old Dec 07, 2007, 04:52 PM
Hangar queen hoarder
Denver, CO
Joined Jul 2006
3,939 Posts
By all means, Don, make this thing as fast as you can.

Besides your balancing problem you may encounter, you may not get what you expect, though, that's all I'm saying. Model F-15's are known for being a little on the slow side, and your GWS fan units may not do what you expect them to do.

And I don't mind anyone asking questions on this forum, just don't take a jab at me and then expect the favor not to be returned.
tailslide5_0 is offline Find More Posts by tailslide5_0
Old Dec 07, 2007, 04:54 PM
Joined Jan 2006
1,413 Posts
Doesn't the Moving tail tear off if this thing goes too fast

I think it has happened to someone
Old Dec 07, 2007, 04:59 PM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
13,109 Posts
I may just have to start my own thread. For those who don't believe I can do what I want to do here are some photos I took. The rough CG with all the parts stacked as shown in the phots came out to 162mm and the manual I have says 160 mm. Looks good to me.

Don
The Don is online now Find More Posts by The Don
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 07, 2007, 05:01 PM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
13,109 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SNIPE_53
Doesn't the Moving tail tear off if this thing goes too fast I think it has happened to someone
I am not going to use the full flying tail as I am afraid of that as well as servo failye. I am going the optional split elevators and ailerons they show in tha manual. My F-16 has full flying stabs and I do not like it very much.

Don
RCG Plus Member
Hangar queen hoarder
Denver, CO
Joined Jul 2006
3,939 Posts
Quote:

I think it has happened to someone
Yeah that happened to me. One of my elevators flew off, but it wasn't cause of the speed, it was because it wasn't attatched securely.
Joined Jan 2006
1,413 Posts
Oh i see,

You are going to calve the hell out of the fuse. Wow she will be a heavy bird wont she.

Best of luck
Old Dec 07, 2007, 05:03 PM
AMA 353531
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined Aug 2003
6,553 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by spitcrazy
Super, thanks for the info. Now I can see what I need to do the job. BTW, hand launch or bungee?
Both of those are hand launched, but they are also smaller models. Sharkjaw Viper and Turbo Vector, weighing a pound or less.

My GWS 262 is an ROG with less than 1:1 thrust, but don't have a good measurement for you or very much stick time with it. It's plenty fast, and a few have had good luck hand launching with similar power, but I wouldn't do it with mine.

The 15 is in the same size class as the 262 at 2lbs or so, but being more lightly loaded and more forgiving it will hand launch with less power. (Though I still plan to ROG only with mine.)

You might look over in the EDF forum-12 for other rule-of-thumb input.
rdeis is offline Find More Posts by rdeis
Last edited by rdeis; Dec 07, 2007 at 05:09 PM.
Old Dec 07, 2007, 05:06 PM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
13,109 Posts
Quote:
Oh i see,
You are going to calve the hell out of the fuse. Wow she will be a heavy bird wont she.
Best of luck
No carving needed to drop the lipos in but some will be needed for getting the ESCs in it seems. Will be about 44 ounces but have 52 oz thrust and 700 watts.

Don
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 07, 2007, 05:06 PM
Carberry, MB Canada
Joined Feb 2004
172 Posts
Thanks RDEIS.
spitcrazy is offline Find More Posts by spitcrazy
Old Dec 07, 2007, 05:08 PM
AMA 353531
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined Aug 2003
6,553 Posts
Quote:
I asked that earlier, and other than tailslide's misassembly (was it you that fabbed your own servo arm?) there were no failures reported.

Someone did report breaking the nose off, though, pulling out of a dive after it had been weakened through other issues.

Few pilots on this thread have appear to overpower their airplanes, so I don't think we know too much about super-speed durability on those parts yes.

An EPO-only thread is a good idea.
rdeis is offline Find More Posts by rdeis
Old Dec 07, 2007, 05:09 PM
Joined Jan 2006
1,413 Posts
Oh ok... were will the RX go? Doesnt look like you have much room under the canopy with the 2 packs there
Old Dec 07, 2007, 05:20 PM
Hangar queen hoarder
Denver, CO
Joined Jul 2006
3,939 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdeis
I asked that earlier, and other than tailslide's misassembly (was it you that fabbed your own servo arm?) there were no failures reported.
Yeah, I found out the hard way that epoxy doesn't stick to GWS plastic for .

My clipped wing 15 did at least 100, but yeah most people haven't gotten theirs to go very fast.
Old Dec 07, 2007, 05:21 PM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
13,109 Posts
Quote:
Oh ok... were will the RX go? Doesnt look like you have much room under the canopy with the 2 packs there
Here is how the two 3S 2200 lipos look in the fuselage. They drop right in. Guys I don't know how well this will work out in the end but the kit is not very expensive and I have all the gear to try it with the power level I think will make it fly better than the videos I have seen. I am not looking for a 120 mph HET F-15 but if I get to about 80mph or so with this and have the thrust to boot, I will be quite happy and that is why I fly airplanes

Don
RCG Plus Member