SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by RAY GWS, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Aug 25, 2007, 10:37 AM
swede
United States, UT, Vineyard
Joined Aug 2005
3,865 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty505000
maidened this morning. She flies great!! First flight TP 3s 2100 15c PL, very smooth very stable. A little slow but that was expected on the 005A motors with 3s. She slows way down and lands like a trainer. Second flight TP 4s 2200 extreme, now were talking. Still very stable but shes got punch. I live in Florida so Im at sea level (well maybe 10 feet or so above) and she seems to do about 50-55mph. I have no way to clock it but compared to other planes I fly I would say about 50-55mph. Third flight back to a TP 3s 2100 and flew a bit too long and one of my ESC sensed LVC and one motor shut down. No problem since she glides so well. I just lowered the throttle to reset it and brought it back up just a bit, turned her around and landed nice and soft. I love this plane! Its a lot of fun to fly and looks awesome in the air. I need to pick up another 4s since I only have one pack. Guess its off the the LHS...

GWS 15
005A 3900 motors
CC PH35 ESC's
Hitec electron 6 rx
Park HPX servos (full flying elevators only)
3s TP 2100 15c PL
4s TP 2200 25c Extreme
Home made BEC-soon to be switching BEC

Cool. That answers my question. I was going to ask if anyone had tried the all flying elevator on a 3S pack. That's what I plan to do, although I'm at 4,500 ft ele. so hopefully it will still work okay.

I haven't decided on a motor yet. Any suggestions? I've never used any GWS motors, so I'm luke warm about trying them. Has anyone tried E-flight's motors in this yet?
denial15 is online now Find More Posts by denial15
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 25, 2007, 10:44 AM
mark
blue mountains
Joined Sep 2006
1,725 Posts
hers my maiden video guys ...enjoy

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showa...mentid=1450413

its a 4s setup from mark at ExtremeRC in australia
taxdodger is offline Find More Posts by taxdodger
Old Aug 25, 2007, 12:44 PM
A-4 nut!!
Vancouver B.C.
Joined Apr 2002
4,654 Posts
Quote:
I was going to ask if anyone had tried the all flying elevator on a 3S pack.
I guess you didn't read my build thread. That's what I'm flying. You can also check out my video. And every F-15 flying is using the GWS motors so far. They work great!
Video: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=709255

Smitty,
Congrats! I know you are going with 4S and thats great - but just wanted to point it out to others that with a 25C (3S) pack your top end will be higher. Mine is running about 70 mph. Yours was slower because you were using a TP prolite pack and the C rating was a little low.

Anyway - Congrats again!
skyhawk is offline Find More Posts by skyhawk
Old Aug 25, 2007, 01:01 PM
Joined Mar 2006
135 Posts
Skyhawk, you are getting 70mph on a 3s pack? My TP 3c 2100 PL will handle up to 31 amps and I am only pulling 25. Is that due to internal resistance? How come it dosnt pull more? guess Im a bit confused
smitty505000 is offline Find More Posts by smitty505000
Old Aug 25, 2007, 02:37 PM
Seeing the Farside.
Seattle WA, USA
Joined Aug 2005
4,285 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tailslide5_0
Because the wing chord and the wing length are oversized. Best of both worlds? Clip the inboard portion of the wing.
Tail, did you post video of your clipped wing Eagle flying?

-Chris
Blaze.45 is offline Find More Posts by Blaze.45
Old Aug 25, 2007, 03:40 PM
swede
Joined Aug 2005
3,865 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyhawk
I guess you didn't read my build thread. That's what I'm flying. You can also check out my video. And every F-15 flying is using the GWS motors so far. They work great!
Video: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=709255

I read it, I just have a bad memory about who has done what. Thanks for chiming in. I'll go back and refresh my memory.
Old Aug 25, 2007, 06:29 PM
A-4 nut!!
Vancouver B.C.
Joined Apr 2002
4,654 Posts
Smitty,
My F-15 was run through the doppler program and came out at around 65mph and I had a 7mph headwind. The 4S planes were running at about 85 mph I believe. (I would have to go back through the build thread to be sure)

Your pack is rated at 31 amps max when the cells are new. Depending on the condition and age of the cells - that could vary a lot. Also that is the max rating. The harder you push them the more watts in it will take to pull that power out.
By comparison my Flitepower packs are rated at 54amps and the motors installed draw about 14 amps each / 28 amps total (27.5 actually) So the cells are not beening worked that hard, they will put out way more power than is required by the system. Yours however are being asked to put out almost max power and your pack will not last very long. I would think the cells come out pretty warm/hot, whereas mine are barely lukewarm - even at 85 degrees F (Outside air temp).

Because of the strain - your pack voltage will also sag more than the newer gen packs - so after a min or two, your pack voltage will be lower than mine. Less voltage = less rpm = less speed.
skyhawk is offline Find More Posts by skyhawk
Old Aug 25, 2007, 06:39 PM
Hangar queen hoarder
Denver, CO
Joined Jul 2006
3,939 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaze.45
Tail, did you post video of your clipped wing Eagle flying?

-Chris
Nope, never did get any video of her before she went in. Pretty fast though, I'd guess she broke a 100 mph.

Oh great, now I want to do another 15.
tailslide5_0 is offline Find More Posts by tailslide5_0
Old Aug 26, 2007, 11:43 AM
Joined Mar 2006
135 Posts
picked up 2 more TP 4s 2200 Ex yesterday and was going to put my wiresless cam on her today but had a bit of a mishap.

My buddy who flys with me all the time and has 30 years experiance gave a bad toss this morning. He let go and gave a push right into the ground. It went in at wot at about 45 degrees. The funny thing is nothing broke!! You cant even notice any damage on the nose unless you look real close you can see a tiny spot on both sides where it flexed a bit. Well I remember reading another post somewhere about a similar incedent and the guy broke the fan blades. So as my buddy was carrying my plane back and talking about how there was no damage, I said take a look at the fans. Yup all 6 blades off one fan were gone. Crap!!! #$%%# GWS for not providing access to the fans!! Of course I glued cardboard in the cheater holes and then glued the covers on. I am going to try and go in with some surgical tools and see what can be done.

My buddy feels extremly bad about it and offered to pay for another one, but I told him it was ok, these things happen and it wasnt like he did it on purpose. No use crying over spilt milk. But I might replace him with a bungee.

I was just a bit disapointed I couldt fly it today. So got my Mig 15 out and had some fun.

This bird is tough! I might just pick up a NPS from Caliber but was wondering what it comes with? Does it just lack landing gear, fans, motors? Or are ther other parts missing...
Old Aug 26, 2007, 01:45 PM
AMA 353531
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined Aug 2003
6,553 Posts
Looks like a full kit without motors or radio gear.
rdeis is offline Find More Posts by rdeis
Old Aug 26, 2007, 01:51 PM
swede
Joined Aug 2005
3,865 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty505000
I might just pick up a NPS from Caliber but was wondering what it comes with? Does it just lack landing gear, fans, motors? Or are ther other parts missing...
It comes un-painted and everything but the electronics and motors. I got mine on Thursday from Caliber, mine had the 3mm fan adapters and servo and motor extensions. It's kind of crummy getting the 3mm adapters, when all the motors have 2mm shafts.
Old Aug 26, 2007, 05:48 PM
Joined Mar 2006
135 Posts
Just placed my order at Caliber for a NPS to replace the sad story above. I was able to remove the cheater covers and cut through the cardboard. Then removed the broken fan but...the shroud was broken where the motor mounts. I put too much silicone around the shroud to be able to cut it out. The foam just broke into many many pieces. I do have undamaged a canopy, wings, elevators, and tails. Lots of spares for the next one. Maybe even try to cut a set of wings down.
Old Aug 26, 2007, 06:11 PM
Captured RAF FW - 190
Worcestershire, UK
Joined Nov 2006
300 Posts
What theres no way of replacing damaged blades ?
300s is offline Find More Posts by 300s
Old Aug 26, 2007, 07:28 PM
Extreme CNC Alloy EDF
Australia
Joined Mar 2006
11,640 Posts
If you fit the cheater covers stock standard and dont try to fill in the small space underneath them then you can remove them easily for sorting out rotor damage.
Extreme_RC is offline Find More Posts by Extreme_RC
Old Aug 26, 2007, 07:36 PM
Unrepentant Carnivore
Brandon, Fl
Joined Mar 2005
2,504 Posts
Smitty

Were you using a heatsink to help support the motor in the fan shroud?

Jim
jamesdr is offline Find More Posts by jamesdr