HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by RAY GWS, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old May 11, 2007, 11:32 AM
Confused? Who, me?
United Kingdom, England, North York
Joined Jan 2005
4,790 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAY GWS
updated some photos at thread #1

also add the decal info from manual.
Plane looks very good Ray and I'm pleased to see the GWS count on the decal sheet is coming down by comparison with the T-6 and there's other "stuff" which it would have been good to see on the T-6

Is anyone on this forum prepared to confess they have ever put a GWS decal on their warbird?
Roger Lombard is offline Find More Posts by Roger Lombard
to remove ads between posts
Old May 11, 2007, 12:31 PM
mark
blue mountains
Joined Sep 2006
1,725 Posts
only on the field flying box that has all my stuff in it but its out numbered by beer stickers...lol 1 of the reason im up to my 3rd 262.
taxdodger is offline Find More Posts by taxdodger
Old May 11, 2007, 12:32 PM
A-4 nut!!
Vancouver B.C.
Joined Apr 2002
4,644 Posts
Well - I'm officailly dissapointed...........

The decals for the 262 were great. Lots of different markings and most of the little details like flush steps, jack points etc.... Very well researched and presented.

But the T-6 and now the F-15 are very dissapointing. Not much there at all - and they are all US airforce lo-vis and the decal for the mid-air refueling door is way too big. I was hopeing for some Isreali and flight test markings. Guess I gotta make my own.
skyhawk is offline Find More Posts by skyhawk
Last edited by skyhawk; May 11, 2007 at 12:41 PM.
Old May 11, 2007, 02:41 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,180 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Lombard
Is anyone on this forum prepared to confess they have ever put a GWS decal on their warbird?
In a public forum....no.

Actually, the only bird in my hanger displaying a GWS logo sticker is my Stevens SQuiRT 400, seeing as how it's powered by the GWS 400 power kit.

Pat
crxmanpat is offline Find More Posts by crxmanpat
Old May 11, 2007, 03:20 PM
Joined Jul 2004
1,537 Posts
Thank you all,

As to mods, our staffs are working in the manual. I will try to see if I can get a copy and post here for you to see it.

I think a few issues can work on or pay attention to are to decrease the weight and add aux. air inlet for the air duct.

the manual does mention how to add additional air inlets underneath. Of course, there are covers on the top to the air tunnel also.

This is airplane is much bigger and heavier than GWST6.

Ray
RAY GWS is offline Find More Posts by RAY GWS
Old May 11, 2007, 05:37 PM
Fort Collins, Colorado, USA
Joined Dec 2005
7,821 Posts
Interesting.
kahloq is offline Find More Posts by kahloq
Old May 11, 2007, 06:46 PM
Sky shepherd
Singapore
Joined Dec 2005
662 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyhawk
Well - I'm officailly dissapointed...........

The decals for the 262 were great. Lots of different markings and most of the little details like flush steps, jack points etc.... Very well researched and presented.

But the T-6 and now the F-15 are very dissapointing. Not much there at all - and they are all US airforce lo-vis and the decal for the mid-air refueling door is way too big. I was hopeing for some Isreali and flight test markings. Guess I gotta make my own.

dUDE,
I was hoping for an israeli insignia too also a small hope that they might include my country insignia cos besides Japan, we are the only country in asia to operate the eagles.
UH-1H is offline Find More Posts by UH-1H
Old May 11, 2007, 07:12 PM
Hangar queen hoarder
Denver, CO
Joined Jul 2006
3,939 Posts
Quote:
and add aux. air inlet for the air duct
CHEATER HOLES!? Might as well just make it a pusher.
tailslide5_0 is offline Find More Posts by tailslide5_0
Old May 11, 2007, 08:10 PM
EDF rules... :)
Joined Nov 1999
13,563 Posts
Quote:
Thank you all,

As to mods, our staffs are working in the manual. I will try to see if I can get a copy and post here for you to see it.

I think a few issues can work on or pay attention to are to decrease the weight and add aux. air inlet for the air duct.

the manual does mention how to add additional air inlets underneath. Of course, there are covers on the top to the air tunnel also.

This is airplane is much bigger and heavier than GWST6.

Ray
Hi Ray,

With the available inlet area of this airframe you should not have problems feeding the fan. The area that matters on the EDF64 is only 4.5in^2 that would equate to 1.5in width by 3in tall and it could go a little smaller if needed with just a simple rounding of the inlets. Air will compress a little as it enters the inlet so being a little small is not going to kill it. Doing a little math might give a little more results in the EDF arena. So what did the inlet dimensions come out to be on the finished model?

Eric B.
AirX is offline Find More Posts by AirX
Old May 11, 2007, 10:58 PM
Seeing the Farside.
Seattle WA, USA
Joined Aug 2005
4,285 Posts
Man... $150 for a GWS plane. There's a new record.

-Chris
Blaze.45 is offline Find More Posts by Blaze.45
Old May 12, 2007, 08:40 AM
Joined Sep 2006
434 Posts
GWS Sticker on planes

I always stick a small GWS sticker under the wing where the wing attach bolt is connected.

I did the first one on my spitfire because I was so happy with it, and wanted to have some tribute to GWS to celebrate my good fortune with that plane.

Then, I put one on my P-51 (sir crashs-a-lot)

I haven't had a major crash with my P-51 since I put on that GWS sticker.

Coincidence?
JohnAsaPrice is offline Find More Posts by JohnAsaPrice
RCG Plus Member
Old May 12, 2007, 09:09 AM
Sky shepherd
Singapore
Joined Dec 2005
662 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAsaPrice
I always stick a small GWS sticker under the wing where the wing attach bolt is connected.

I did the first one on my spitfire because I was so happy with it, and wanted to have some tribute to GWS to celebrate my good fortune with that plane.

Then, I put one on my P-51 (sir crashs-a-lot)

I haven't had a major crash with my P-51 since I put on that GWS sticker.

Coincidence?
Haven t u heard? THe GWS stickers are electronically treated to give "fly by wire" capabilities when applied on their products.
UH-1H is offline Find More Posts by UH-1H
Old May 12, 2007, 09:59 AM
Taipei, Taiwan
Joined Oct 2005
4,674 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaze.45

-Chris
I'd guess that's GWS-15 NPS plain white version + GWBLM005 inrunner x2 + EMS shipping cost for sending them from Taiwan to USA.

Chen
GWS CHEN is offline Find More Posts by GWS CHEN
Old May 12, 2007, 10:19 AM
Confused? Who, me?
United Kingdom, England, North York
Joined Jan 2005
4,790 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaze.45

-Chris
The counter to that Chris is to say try and get a fully moulded twin EDF with motors included from anywhere else for $150, even without the EMS shipping.

But I agree with your underlying message - 3 of the 5 recent launches from GWS have required that flyers invest in two b/l motors and two esc, and in the case of the two with EDF that means two high current ESC and a battery capable of delivering very high amps as well. While GWS will no doubt reply that both have either brushed or pusher options (and I solved the problem with my 262 by fitting no motors at all ) I do think its important that they realise, as your post suggests, they're (in danger of?) repositioning themselves in the market. With a brushed EDF set-up a lot of less capable flyers are going to be grizzling that they don't fly properly - CCLee shot themselves well in the foot with their 262 that was supposed to fly on two brushed 180 EDF units and even skilled flyers struggled with that. While we GWS "aficionados" (ahem!) like GWS planes for what they are I bet a fair few of us (including me) got into GWS because it offered the cheapest "ARTF" entry point if you didn't want to go depron or balsa-bashing. There is still no-one who can match GWS in that area and I can't help thinking they'd be better off with some reasonably priced low end easy fly stuff like WW I bipes to keep the likes of E-flite out of their market than focus too much on the top end. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=664138

Maybe they should emulate Toyota and dual brand with a Lexus equivalent - they certainly have the designs skills and technology to give any of the players on the patch at all levels a run for their money.
Roger Lombard is offline Find More Posts by Roger Lombard
Old May 12, 2007, 06:36 PM
Fort Collins, Colorado, USA
Joined Dec 2005
7,821 Posts
I disagree with Roger. I do not think GWS is inadvertently or in danger of repositiong themselves in the market place at all, but rather expanding the options available to the end user...this is a good thing....choice is great. Using his car example, Toyota makes a lot of cars and some are very inexpensive while others are higher end cars. The low costs one allow the less well off to get INTO a car to begin with, but if all they sold were cheap cars, their original buyers would have no reason to buy Toyota again when they wanted to move up to something more sporty or more luxerious, etc. I think Roger is missing the idea of that. GWS still offers all the cheap planes we all love(aka Corsair, Spit, Mustang, Me-109, hell even the E-starter). When someone wants to move on to more challenging planes, GWS would like them to still buy GWS products, so they make and offer some more advanced planes...ala..ME-262, F-15, P-38, etc.

His example of E-flite coming into GWS's market place doesnt quite work either. The only plane E-flite makes that could be of potential competition is the new P-38, but, the price is 3 times as much as GWS P-38. So, again, GWS offers the lower cost, but great plane.
I am not knocking Roger at all, I just think some perspective needs to be taken into account.

BTW, hows this for an E-starter? Cheap, looks nice, flies fast on brushless geared motor. Flies decent on brushed motor as well(but this one is brushless)
kahloq is offline Find More Posts by kahloq