HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by RAY GWS, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jul 15, 2007, 11:33 PM
Houng-wen Lin
Shijr, Taiwan. DungGwan, China. City of Industry, California.
Joined Sep 2001
19,443 Posts
Thanks to Captain Carlton!

I and GWS staffs appreciate your comments!
GWS4CEO is offline Find More Posts by GWS4CEO
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 15, 2007, 11:51 PM
Fairfield, CA
Joined Apr 2002
1,513 Posts
Sure thing. You have earned the comments with this plane. You folks better ramp up your manufacturing...everyone is going to want one!!

Jim Restel and I have plans to do a formation flight this week...weather permitting. If it goes well...we'll have many more cool photos to share.

- Richard
Captain Carlton is offline Find More Posts by Captain Carlton
Old Jul 16, 2007, 01:52 AM
Unrepentant Carnivore
Brandon, Fl
Joined Mar 2005
2,492 Posts
Totally agree with Richard. And for what it is worth, getting him into the GWS camp took a bit of coaxing. But he is now converted (at least for the time being).

Most fields have a handful of folks that come out with DF models. Most fly faster that the GWS15. All are more expensive than the GWS15. NONE at my field has as many flights as I have without some serious rekitting. The "WOW" factor is just huge and as Richard said, it is OBTAINABLE by the average Joe pilot with modest means. Is it for everyone - No, but what model is. Bottom line - Out of the park home run.

Jim
jamesdr is offline Find More Posts by jamesdr
Old Jul 16, 2007, 02:46 AM
Hangar queen hoarder
Denver, CO
Joined Jul 2006
3,939 Posts
tailslide5_0 is offline Find More Posts by tailslide5_0
Last edited by tailslide5_0; Sep 22, 2007 at 06:34 PM.
Old Jul 16, 2007, 03:47 AM
Ozzie Express wiggy pilot
YANKALILLA , SOUTH AUSTRALIA.
Joined Nov 2002
5,234 Posts
I think that you are missing the point , GWS make a whole range of planes and the beginners start with a Slow Stick then move on to a Easy Starter , then perhaps a Funny Park , then If they fly well move on to military aircraft , Mustang or two engines ect
I dont think Mr Lin is going to make a Jet that does 200mph , if you want that , you have to go TURBINE , I think their aim is a plane for MOST people
SON OF PALEFACE is offline Find More Posts by SON OF PALEFACE
Old Jul 16, 2007, 04:46 AM
Hangar queen hoarder
Denver, CO
Joined Jul 2006
3,939 Posts
Yes, I know that most, if not, all electric ducted fans will not reach 200 mph, but thanks anyway. I was just saying that IMO the F-15 was a huge step back from their Me-262, and personally, I'm not impressed with their jet progress.

If only they didn't let all their original and only prototypes get stolen from a hobby convention........
Old Jul 16, 2007, 11:40 AM
AMA 353531
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined Aug 2003
6,539 Posts
Seems to me that after you sliced the wing you got a low more of what you were looking for out of the airplane, yes?

In my area, GWS is known for models that are OK and fun out of the box- but more importantly are really great raw material you can use to build very nice models for less work and MUCH less cost than most. A simple modification like your wing slice is exactly the sort of thing that makes GWS models really shine, and most pilots on RCG, at least, know that some modification is likely to be required.

By that criteria it seems like a huge success-- but I'll have to wait until it shows up at my LHS before I can comment with authority.
rdeis is offline Find More Posts by rdeis
Old Jul 16, 2007, 12:47 PM
Sky shepherd
Singapore
Joined Dec 2005
662 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tailslide5_0
Yes, I know that most, if not, all electric ducted fans will not reach 200 mph, but thanks anyway. I was just saying that IMO the F-15 was a huge step back from their Me-262, and personally, I'm not impressed with their jet progress.

If only they didn't let all their original and only prototypes get stolen from a hobby convention........

When did this happen? What models were lost?
UH-1H is offline Find More Posts by UH-1H
Old Jul 16, 2007, 01:03 PM
Hangar queen hoarder
Denver, CO
Joined Jul 2006
3,939 Posts
The story goes something like this- Some years ago, GWS had a whole fleet of jets ready to begin production. They were at a hobby show, showing them off, when most, if not all of them were stolen. The big problem was- those jets were the only copy they had. No plugs, no molds, no nothin. It's taken this long for them to get back on their feet w/ their jets.

I'll agree w/ rdeis. GWS planes usually do need a mod or two.

EDIT: Heres some pics of the protoypes that were stolen.
Last edited by tailslide5_0; Jul 16, 2007 at 01:30 PM.
Old Jul 16, 2007, 02:10 PM
Ozzie Express wiggy pilot
YANKALILLA , SOUTH AUSTRALIA.
Joined Nov 2002
5,234 Posts
It will be interesting to see what Mr Lin has to say about this
SON OF PALEFACE is offline Find More Posts by SON OF PALEFACE
Old Jul 16, 2007, 02:20 PM
Hangar queen hoarder
Denver, CO
Joined Jul 2006
3,939 Posts
There is a thread that talks about this here http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=508509 not too much about the theft though.
Old Jul 16, 2007, 05:55 PM
Hangar queen hoarder
Denver, CO
Joined Jul 2006
3,939 Posts
I'll take credit for being the first to fly the GWS-15, AND also to crash it. I took it out w/ the new servos and exhaust tubes and threw it in the air. It was definately faster w/ the exhaust tubes and the extra amps (went from 42 to 48 A). On the second pass, one elevator flew off, and I was doomed. I tried everthing I could to keep it in the air, but trying to fly w/ only one elevon is about as hopeless as flying it blindfolded. She went straight down almost full speed into a rocky ditch. Totalled. At least all the electronics survived; the fan units didn't though.

Turned out my mod to the servo arm bracket failed me. I should have epoxied the horns on, AND used some screws from the servo horn to the bracket, instead of just epoxy alone. Oh well.
Last edited by tailslide5_0; Jul 16, 2007 at 06:04 PM.
Old Jul 16, 2007, 06:43 PM
slippy slimey
oklahoma
Joined Nov 2004
1,769 Posts
dude that really sucks. sorry for your loss but always a project in the works
booger is offline Find More Posts by booger
Old Jul 16, 2007, 07:13 PM
Extreme CNC Alloy EDF
Australia
Joined Mar 2006
11,356 Posts
When I saw your post on swapping the servos I was gonna say stick some screws through the bracket into the arms, moulded nylons and glue dont mix too well regardless how you prepare them. Sorry to see it die in rocks of all things, our field is so soggy now I rekon mine would bury itself up to the inlets

Well now you have an excuse to build a new airframe with all the little tricky bits and make it perfect
Extreme_RC is offline Find More Posts by Extreme_RC
Old Jul 16, 2007, 07:16 PM
Extreme CNC Alloy EDF
Australia
Joined Mar 2006
11,356 Posts
Oh and did it actually come apart at the glue line tailslide?? The picture looks like it split perfectly! You used GWS glue? I never seen that happen before!
Extreme_RC is offline Find More Posts by Extreme_RC