HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by RAY GWS, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jan 17, 2011, 02:29 AM
skunkworks
United States, CA, Clovis
Joined Apr 2008
1,536 Posts
photoz01 congrats on the maiden, looks good.
Dark Angel is offline Find More Posts by Dark Angel
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 17, 2011, 02:56 PM
United States, MA, Wilmington
Joined Jul 2004
206 Posts
thanks, it is incredible how easily this thing flies at well under 1/2 throttle.
I just went for my second flight. temps were 19 degrees, and it was kinda windy.

This time I went to the dirt parking lot area, it is just a more comfortable place to fly. I lined up in an area with out any packed snow and punched the throttle, then as the plane was headed to a big pile of snow I thought, gee that was pretty cocky of me to head right for a 10ft high pile of snow on the take off roll, but she lifted off and cleared the snow pile easily.

I didnt really have a plan of things to accomplish on just the second flight,- I was just dieing to fly!!!

I guess I was nervous about the servos holding the elevons on, so I didnt complete a loop, but on 2 occasions I pulled up into the vertical, continued over till inverted and rolled out of it. It rolled pretty fast.
Landing went well also.

I am using servos from Parkzone, I think they are metal geared, they are the only thing my local shop could find the fit the base of the elevons.

Also, I should mention that for my 3700 4s battery I did remove some foam, mainly the divider that is under the cockpit. I also removed foam on bottom of battery bay so the battery cleared the base of the canopy when closed.

When I knew I needed weight in the nose I applied 5 min epoxy to the inside walls of the battery bay.
Also I should mention the place I got my motors, because I am very happy with these 4000kv motors, suitable for 4s. SHHHH, these motors seem VERY similar to a US brand name, but at a different price
http://r2hobbies.com/eng/proddetail....rcps81538_4000.
I have purchased more than 6 of these. Become a member and save 10%. If only I could find 64mm 6 blade edf rotors that are the same as the dynam, sapac and eflite delta v 480 for cheap money I would be even happier!!!!

Kevin
MA
photoz01 is online now Find More Posts by photoz01
Old Jan 21, 2011, 09:21 AM
It wasn't my fault!!
USA, MI, Midland
Joined Oct 2004
793 Posts
I wont be venturing out for a couple of months yet I guess.. brr.. your brave to go out in this weather.. Faom/plastic can get very brittle in this weather.
I have GREAT concerns about the direct link on the elevons.. somehow it just looks like it's asking too much? I ordered the GWS ones as is suggested.

Keep the reports coming in.. great to hear your happy with it.. although I'm only 3s I'm thinking I should be OK..
Headspin is offline Find More Posts by Headspin
Old Jan 21, 2011, 08:54 PM
Unrepentant Carnivore
Brandon, Fl
Joined Mar 2005
2,504 Posts
The GWS park servos are perfect for thsi BUT - I don't think I would try it until the temps are at least in the 50's. Plastic is just too brittle at low temps.

Jim
jamesdr is offline Find More Posts by jamesdr
Old Jan 24, 2011, 10:08 AM
AMA 353531
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined Aug 2003
6,553 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesdr View Post
The GWS park servos are perfect for thsi BUT - I don't think I would try it until the temps are at least in the 50's. Plastic is just too brittle at low temps.
I crashed mine on New Years Day in sub-freezing temps due mostly to poor visibility.

In the wreckage, I found both servos firmly attached to the stabs. The foam around the servo mounts in the fuse let go before the plastic bits that hold the stabs to the servos.
rdeis is offline Find More Posts by rdeis
Old Jan 24, 2011, 10:57 AM
swede
United States, UT, Vineyard
Joined Aug 2005
3,865 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdeis View Post
I crashed mine on New Years Day in sub-freezing temps due mostly to poor visibility.

In the wreckage, I found both servos firmly attached to the stabs. The foam around the servo mounts in the fuse let go before the plastic bits that hold the stabs to the servos.

Are you rebuilding? Are any gears stripped? If you plan on rebuilding, I have a spare set of gears. They were nearly impossible to locate at the time.
denial15 is offline Find More Posts by denial15
Old Jan 24, 2011, 11:32 AM
AMA 353531
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined Aug 2003
6,553 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by denial15 View Post
Are you rebuilding? Are any gears stripped? If you plan on rebuilding, I have a spare set of gears. They were nearly impossible to locate at the time.
Yes, but not for a while. Priorities, Priorities...

I think all my running gear is OK, as are the flight surfaces, I just need to order a new fuse from Caliber.
rdeis is offline Find More Posts by rdeis
Old Jan 24, 2011, 01:18 PM
Unrepentant Carnivore
Brandon, Fl
Joined Mar 2005
2,504 Posts
Epilogue

Ive been following this thread since it was opened in May 2007. Ive owned two GWS F-15s. The first was full house with a flying stab and ailerons. It crashed after a fan failed on takeoff and I tried to come back around. My second was built in Oct 2007 with a flying stab only. That model has been with me for many, many trips to the field both here in California. It has seen its share of crashes mostly due to decrepit batteries punking out at the worse possible time. It was in semi retirement until the newest generation of batteries finally was available at a reasonable price. Ive been flying her fairly regularly since last Sept. Took her to the field again today.

Preflight was perfect. Winds at 7 mph right down the runway. I back taxied to the end so I could get a long run. She doesnt need it, just looks cool thundering down the center line and then lifting the way and doing a fast, left hand climb-out. Rolls, split-Ss, and fast passes was really enjoying myself. And then as has been usual my particular set-up, the power drops to 50% or so and I go to cruise. On the outbound leg, suddenly I lost complete power, followed by control. She rolled hard left and pitched up. I managed to get her back level away form the fence line. I had to push full right and down and it was just wicked seeing her porpoise all over everywhere. I thought I had her settled into a semi flat glide and she rolled back over, stalled, and nose pinched the ground at about a 30 degree angle. From a distance, you could see it was not pretty. We did the collective walk and retrieved the remains. From a dozen feet out, you could smell the electronics. I figured I blew an ESC but I had a UBEC so the loss of control was puzzling.

Back at the table, the fried ESC was confirmed. I pulled the ESC lead and tested the flight surfaces. Only the left elevon was working. Both were plugged in. Traded the plugs and now the right one worked and the left was dead. Then I felt something on the Rx. F-15 drivers know that for a big bird, thee isnt a lot of room for the electronics. I had the ESCs n the center fuse, well cooled, with the Rx and UBEC kind of squished on top. Ive had this configuration since day one for over probably over 150 flights. The Rx cover was slightly melted right where it was near the toasted ESC.

Ive always suspected one of the other ESC was shutting down (hence the 50% power drop). But it would reset by the time I landed and taxied back.

So what I think happened was the ESC thermaled off. Shortly after, the other gave up the ghost and fried. Since the other ESC was off, I had no thrust. Then the ESC killed the Rx as I was turning to home, locking the elevon in up and left. The result was a condition that I didnt have the altitude, airspeed, or skills to recover from.

So want to do. A replacement fuse is $35. Add in the cost of a couple of 30A ESC and Im pushing $75 and I still have to build. So Ive decided to retire AF91 303 and part out the components. I could attempt a nose job but I still would have to figure out a way to replace the ESCs. So bottom line, Im pulling off her v-stab and mounting it in my man cave as testament to a job well done. Yeah I got my moneys worth out of this kit.

Jim
Old Jan 24, 2011, 01:31 PM
swede
Joined Aug 2005
3,865 Posts
Quote:
Ive been following this thread since it was opened in May 2007. Ive owned two GWS F-15s. The first was full house with a flying stab and ailerons. It crashed after a fan failed on takeoff and I tried to come back around. My second was built in Oct 2007 with a flying stab only. That model has been with me for many, many trips to the field both here in California. It has seen its share of crashes mostly due to decrepit batteries punking out at the worse possible time. It was in semi retirement until the newest generation of batteries finally was available at a reasonable price. Ive been flying her fairly regularly since last Sept. Took her to the field again today.

Preflight was perfect. Winds at 7 mph right down the runway. I back taxied to the end so I could get a long run. She doesnt need it, just looks cool thundering down the center line and then lifting the way and doing a fast, left hand climb-out. Rolls, split-Ss, and fast passes was really enjoying myself. And then as has been usual my particular set-up, the power drops to 50% or so and I go to cruise. On the outbound leg, suddenly I lost complete power, followed by control. She rolled hard left and pitched up. I managed to get her back level away form the fence line. I had to push full right and down and it was just wicked seeing her porpoise all over everywhere. I thought I had her settled into a semi flat glide and she rolled back over, stalled, and nose pinched the ground at about a 30 degree angle. From a distance, you could see it was not pretty. We did the collective walk and retrieved the remains. From a dozen feet out, you could smell the electronics. I figured I blew an ESC but I had a UBEC so the loss of control was puzzling.

Back at the table, the fried ESC was confirmed. I pulled the ESC lead and tested the flight surfaces. Only the left elevon was working. Both were plugged in. Traded the plugs and now the right one worked and the left was dead. Then I felt something on the Rx. F-15 drivers know that for a big bird, thee isnt a lot of room for the electronics. I had the ESCs n the center fuse, well cooled, with the Rx and UBEC kind of squished on top. Ive had this configuration since day one for over probably over 150 flights. The Rx cover was slightly melted right where it was near the toasted ESC.

Ive always suspected one of the other ESC was shutting down (hence the 50% power drop). But it would reset by the time I landed and taxied back.

So what I think happened was the ESC thermaled off. Shortly after, the other gave up the ghost and fried. Since the other ESC was off, I had no thrust. Then the ESC killed the Rx as I was turning to home, locking the elevon in up and left. The result was a condition that I didnt have the altitude, airspeed, or skills to recover from.

So want to do. A replacement fuse is $35. Add in the cost of a couple of 30A ESC and Im pushing $75 and I still have to build. So Ive decided to retire AF91 303 and part out the components. I could attempt a nose job but I still would have to figure out a way to replace the ESCs. So bottom line, Im pulling off her v-stab and mounting it in my man cave as testament to a job well done. Yeah I got my moneys worth out of this kit.

Jim
DANG! That's too bad. I still say rebuild.

I'm thinking I should probably get a spare fuse just in case.
Old Jan 24, 2011, 02:08 PM
Unrepentant Carnivore
Brandon, Fl
Joined Mar 2005
2,504 Posts
You know - I've really enjoyed this model. But there are so many new ones out there. Maybe I'll come back but for now - she's retired.

Jim
Old Jan 24, 2011, 05:48 PM
swede
Joined Aug 2005
3,865 Posts
That's totally repairable.
Old Jan 25, 2011, 05:50 AM
Unrepentant Carnivore
Brandon, Fl
Joined Mar 2005
2,504 Posts
I agree - the foam portions are fixable. It's the electronics I'm balking at. I made this model so the fans are actually readily accessible, but had not put the same thought into the ESCs. I may put her on the side, putz and play with it (e-retracts?) to see if the inspiration light bulb turns on.

Jim
Old Feb 18, 2011, 03:48 PM
United States, MA, Wilmington
Joined Jul 2004
206 Posts
landing gear etc

Ok I ripped out the nose gear during a muddy landing.
the problem is the arm that connects to the steering servo broke off. does anyone have an extra one or know of a park I case use to replace the arm that connects the push rid to the gear itself?

Kevin
photoz01 is online now Find More Posts by photoz01
Old Feb 19, 2011, 02:39 PM
It wasn't my fault!!
USA, MI, Midland
Joined Oct 2004
793 Posts
Quote:
I’ve been following this thread since it was opened in May 2007. I’ve owned two GWS F-15s. The first was full house with a flying stab and ailerons. It crashed after a fan failed on takeoff and I tried to come back around. My second was built in Oct 2007 with a flying stab only..........

...............Yeah – I got my moneys worth out of this kit.

Jim
I'm sorry to hear that man!

Go on... fix her up.. you know you want to.. A couple of cheap chinese esc's will do it..
Headspin is offline Find More Posts by Headspin
Old Feb 19, 2011, 10:52 PM
Solidworks
Stanfield,NC
Joined Apr 2007
207 Posts
Well you wouldnt say chineses!
speedracer24 is offline Find More Posts by speedracer24