SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by RAY GWS, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jan 04, 2011, 12:49 AM
AMA 353531
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined Aug 2003
6,554 Posts
Very nice, Headspin! I'd planned to use those colors on mine. If I'd done that before Saturday perhaps I wouldn't have lost orientation in the hazy white winter sky...

But I see that Caliber's got fuse parts cheap.
rdeis is offline Find More Posts by rdeis
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 04, 2011, 12:50 AM
AMA 353531
Joined Aug 2003
6,554 Posts
Anyone done functional rudders? If I have to build a new fuse anyway, I want to look in to that..
Old Jan 04, 2011, 08:07 AM
It wasn't my fault!!
USA, MI, Midland
Joined Oct 2004
793 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdeis View Post
Very nice, Headspin! I'd planned to use those colors on mine. If I'd done that before Saturday perhaps I wouldn't have lost orientation in the hazy white winter sky...

But I see that Caliber's got fuse parts cheap.
Thanks, and that is exactly the reason I chose it.. must be half a gallon of white acrylic covering up the grey lol

Sorry you had a bad time with your plane.. I suspect these are not forgiving to bad landings. Even bumping into stuff in the house has left nasty indents. I think will add glass tape and epoxy to the leading edge and intakes.

Thanks for the heads up on spares.. I hope i don't need them too soon
Headspin is offline Find More Posts by Headspin
Old Jan 04, 2011, 09:55 AM
AMA 353531
Joined Aug 2003
6,554 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Headspin View Post
Sorry you had a bad time with your plane.. I suspect these are not forgiving to bad landings.
Stuff happens.. It rolled in a funny way from an air pocket or something and I wasn't able to reorient and pull out of the resulting split-S before I ran out of altitude and went in very hard. Nose heavy, no rudder, natural results! heh.

The worst part is always the walk of shame, especially in front of a group of fuel pilots that consider themselves more serious than my little EDFs. Bah. <shrug>

Smashed up the nose and intaked forward of the wing quite thoroughly. All the flight surfaces and expensive parts are fine. You can usually piece the foam bits back together with some Gorilla Glue, but with a whole new fuse only costing $35 or so I think it's not worth the trouble.

Quote:
Even bumping into stuff in the house has left nasty indents. I think will add glass tape and epoxy to the leading edge and intakes.
Yup. I have glass and poly on the wings, ducts, and tailfeathers. I think I'll go a bit heavier and power up during the rebuild. It flies well enough to deserve a good sized 4s battery so it can climb like a real Eagle!
Old Jan 04, 2011, 09:05 PM
It wasn't my fault!!
USA, MI, Midland
Joined Oct 2004
793 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdeis View Post
Stuff happens.. It rolled in a funny way from an air pocket or something and I wasn't able to reorient and pull out of the resulting split-S before I ran out of altitude and went in very hard. Nose heavy, no rudder, natural results! heh.

The worst part is always the walk of shame, especially in front of a group of fuel pilots that consider themselves more serious than my little EDFs. Bah. <shrug>

Smashed up the nose and intaked forward of the wing quite thoroughly. All the flight surfaces and expensive parts are fine. You can usually piece the foam bits back together with some Gorilla Glue, but with a whole new fuse only costing $35 or so I think it's not worth the trouble.

Yup. I have glass and poly on the wings, ducts, and tailfeathers. I think I'll go a bit heavier and power up during the rebuild. It flies well enough to deserve a good sized 4s battery so it can climb like a real Eagle!
Walk of shame.. I hear that!.. I hate flying in front of other people.. I won't join the club.. I fly a mile south of it, off a church parking lot into a field that dips 8 feet.. it's great, you already have 8 feet to pull out the stops if need be.. Hand launching is a bigger boost. Of course there is a drawback.. the lot has a telegraph pole and retaining wire right in the middle. A guaranteed plane magnet

On my first Moth I used glass and GWS glue to toughen up the nose haha.. it sets (eventually) rock solid.. an excellent alternative if your short of epoxy but not short of time
Old Jan 04, 2011, 11:27 PM
skunkworks
United States, CA, Clovis
Joined Apr 2008
1,536 Posts
Quote:
Hmm.. I vowed I wasnt going to ever spend a lot of time maiking a plane look pretty before I knew 100% it flew well enough to bother..

As this is Michigan.. there isn't much else to do right now, so I painted her up a little.. Still needs decals but I'm pretty happy with it.

Hey that's the color I painted mine! Nice choice high vis even on the darkest of days
Dark Angel is offline Find More Posts by Dark Angel
Old Jan 05, 2011, 09:08 AM
It wasn't my fault!!
USA, MI, Midland
Joined Oct 2004
793 Posts
I just checked your Blog DA.. nice fleet!!

What are we using for leading edge protection?

I think I'll just epoxy without the glass.. with the 5 minute stuff, it can go wrong pretty quickly... also dries "yellowy"

umm.. maybe I will use the rest of the GWS glue.. it's pretty tough when it goes off, dries clear and easy to spread too..

OK.. maybe I answered my own question lol..
Last edited by Headspin; Jan 05, 2011 at 09:14 AM.
Old Jan 05, 2011, 01:01 PM
skunkworks
United States, CA, Clovis
Joined Apr 2008
1,536 Posts
Quote:
I just checked your Blog DA.. nice fleet!!

What are we using for leading edge protection?

I think I'll just epoxy without the glass.. with the 5 minute stuff, it can go wrong pretty quickly... also dries "yellowy"

umm.. maybe I will use the rest of the GWS glue.. it's pretty tough when it goes off, dries clear and easy to spread too..

OK.. maybe I answered my own question lol..
Thanks Headspin ,um nothing Just deal with hangar rash Just try to be careful when moving her around. I was going to change to the us airforce grey camo like on a f22 but I will leave it. I got a f22 for xmas and also ordered a freewing f22 in aggressor blue scheme. The gws will stay edwards color. I need to update my blog but the weather has been to dark to shoot some pics
Dark Angel is offline Find More Posts by Dark Angel
Last edited by Dark Angel; Jan 05, 2011 at 01:26 PM.
Old Jan 05, 2011, 01:57 PM
AMA 353531
Joined Aug 2003
6,554 Posts
Quote:
maybe I will use the rest of the GWS glue.. it's pretty tough when it goes off, dries clear and easy to spread too..
Lay in a thin (1mm or so?) carbon rod to the leading edge and coat it with the GWS glue and you'd have a very nice and tough wing.
Old Jan 05, 2011, 09:26 PM
It wasn't my fault!!
USA, MI, Midland
Joined Oct 2004
793 Posts
That would do it I guess.. but I did the glue thing..

Hey.. my CoG is about 25mm - 35mm too far forward.. how forgiving are these?

I'm using 2 x 2000mah lipo's I made the "Y" harness myself and it's pretty beefy too.

I could use one.. but lose flying time.. on the upside I could fly twice lol..

edit.... hmm.. I should try to balance again with the wheels up... they fold back so should put it a little more in the right direction
Last edited by Headspin; Jan 05, 2011 at 09:37 PM.
Old Jan 05, 2011, 09:41 PM
swede
United States, UT, Vineyard
Joined Aug 2005
3,871 Posts
My personal opinion is this will handle the added dead tail weight for proper balance better than the wrong CG.

I'd try and balance it a little better, if not then you're better nose heavy than tail heavy.
denial15 is offline Find More Posts by denial15
Old Jan 05, 2011, 10:07 PM
swede
Joined Aug 2005
3,871 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by photoz01
Hey denial, I have a gws f-15 i bought at an auction.
I finally got around to building it and all I have left to do is balance it/find the right spot for the battery.

My motors are ebay clones of the eflite delta v 480 4000kv with hobby king 50-60 esc and a 4s 3700 rhino battery.
I really wanted to use these fan set ups I smoothed out the curve mount area of the gws fans and custom made a spot further back for the new motors.

What retracts did you use and where did you get them?
What do you use for a center of gravity?
ps do you have an image of those star and bars decal that I could use?
thanks
photoz01,

I hope you don't mind that I answered your PM on here, but you have some really good questions that others may benefit from. Plus, you have an interesting setup.

Mine is balanced about 11 centimeters from the leading edge of the wing, measured next to the fuse. That's about 15-20mm from the rear edge of the angled wing spar slot.

These are the retracts I have in mine. I got them from a friend who gave them to me on a semi-permanent loan.

I think these are the same retracts though. Main and nose gear.

With a 4S3700, it sound's like you're going to be on the heavy side. It'll fly fine with the weight, but hand launching will be a lot more stressful.

I have a 3S3300 in mine. Moving your fans back should help with the CG a little.

The decal's came with the kit. Here's a photo. Maybe someone has some extras kicking around they'd send your way.
Old Jan 05, 2011, 10:51 PM
It wasn't my fault!!
USA, MI, Midland
Joined Oct 2004
793 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by denial15 View Post
My personal opinion is this will handle the added dead tail weight for proper balance better than the wrong CG.

I'd try and balance it a little better, if not then you're better nose heavy than tail heavy.
argh.. I hate adding weight... I guess I could epoxy coat a few things at the back..
Hey.. I have some metal tape I was thinking of using but thought it was too heavy.. Should make the jets look sweet. And if that doesn't do it.. I'll stuff a bolt in the pusher hole!
Old Jan 05, 2011, 11:06 PM
swede
Joined Aug 2005
3,871 Posts
You can try it and see how it will do. Just be prepared to add some extra "up". I don't think either one will be catastrophic.
Old Jan 06, 2011, 10:19 AM
AMA 353531
Joined Aug 2003
6,554 Posts
If you have enough power, it will tolerate the forward CG. But it won't like it.

Elevator response will be slow, flying in general will feel mushy, and the nose will drop in turns so it tends to spiral in.

If it rotates on takeoff it will fly, and if it flies it will be controllable. But if you fix it it will be a LOT more fun.

I was wondering about the best way to shift weight to accomidate a larger 4s battery.. Smoothing the fan mounts and shifting the fans back is a great idea!