HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by RAY GWS, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Oct 20, 2010, 04:16 PM
Unrepentant Carnivore
Brandon, Fl
Joined Mar 2005
2,490 Posts
That will work.

Jim
jamesdr is offline Find More Posts by jamesdr
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 07, 2010, 09:59 AM
It wasn't my fault!!
USA, MI, Midland
Joined Oct 2004
793 Posts
I have 2 x 30A volcano ESC's
Will these be OK with the stock GWS motors that come with the kit?
It's my first EDF so I'm not too bothered about breaking the sound barrier..

Thanks..
Headspin is offline Find More Posts by Headspin
Old Nov 07, 2010, 11:28 AM
swede
United States, UT, Vineyard
Joined Aug 2005
3,761 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Headspin View Post
I have 2 x 30A volcano ESC's
Will these be OK with the stock GWS motors that come with the kit?
It's my first EDF so I'm not too bothered about breaking the sound barrier..

Thanks..
The kit came with two options for motors. What ones do you have?
denial15 is offline Find More Posts by denial15
Old Nov 07, 2010, 12:15 PM
skunkworks
United States, CA, Clovis
Joined Apr 2008
1,536 Posts
They should work I plced mine inside of the intakes to allow more for a battery. I now use 3700 rhino pacs and 4000 turnigy pacs. Mine is setup with ailerons and elevator but they fly great both ways.
Dark Angel is offline Find More Posts by Dark Angel
Old Nov 07, 2010, 07:41 PM
It wasn't my fault!!
USA, MI, Midland
Joined Oct 2004
793 Posts
I ordered from Tower Hobbies.. I think I'm OK..

GWS-15 w/EDF64-BL2028 Twin Gray Kit

I was thinking elevons..

This thing NEEDS retracts.. Not sure I care if it's pretty/scale or not.. It just looks all wrong flying with wheels down..
I can live without I guess but there must be a way... even if they have to impede the air ducts raised.

I guess I will know better when I get the kit... which I am totally pumped about btw..
Last edited by Headspin; Nov 07, 2010 at 07:46 PM.
Old Nov 07, 2010, 09:06 PM
swede
United States, UT, Vineyard
Joined Aug 2005
3,761 Posts
Yup, your esc's should be fine. I think it would be very possible to do retracts. It wouldn't be very scale, but I've been contemplating some servoless retracts.
denial15 is offline Find More Posts by denial15
Old Nov 08, 2010, 09:10 AM
It wasn't my fault!!
USA, MI, Midland
Joined Oct 2004
793 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by denial15 View Post
Yup, your esc's should be fine. I think it would be very possible to do retracts. It wouldn't be very scale, but I've been contemplating some servoless retracts.
I like those!!
Old Nov 13, 2010, 10:38 PM
AMA 353531
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined Aug 2003
6,539 Posts
No need to mess up the air ducts- the fuse has marks for the wheel well cutouts molded in!
rdeis is offline Find More Posts by rdeis
Old Nov 16, 2010, 02:20 PM
It wasn't my fault!!
USA, MI, Midland
Joined Oct 2004
793 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdeis View Post
No need to mess up the air ducts- the fuse has marks for the wheel well cutouts molded in!
Yeah.. I noticed that.. But even if it did.. I was thinking of a sliding vent on the cheater to compensate.

I ordered the nose wheel retract. I wasn't sure if my 32 dollar shipped TX would handle the quirks of these.

It seems you need to set end points at 120% or more.. so we will see.

Old Nov 16, 2010, 02:32 PM
AMA 353531
Joined Aug 2003
6,539 Posts
Quote:
Yeah.. I noticed that.. But even if it did.. I was thinking of a sliding vent on the cheater to compensate.
How Russian of you!

Quote:
I ordered the nose wheel retract. I wasn't sure if my 32 dollar shipped TX would handle the quirks of these.

It seems you need to set end points at 120% or more.. so we will see.
Yeah, the "real" endpoints of servo travel aren't +-100, but rather +-150. The pattern guys make use of that to get more precise fine control. It wouldn't surprise me if the servoless retracts look for the same sort of signal.

Speaking of precise fine control-- is it reasonable to find the all-flying taileron control to have sort of soft and squishy handling? I finally got one good successful flight on mine, and while I seemed to have plenty of control authority at both fast and slow speeds it felt sort of like driving a truck!

High alpha was cool, but not entirely trustworthy...
Old Nov 16, 2010, 08:13 PM
It wasn't my fault!!
USA, MI, Midland
Joined Oct 2004
793 Posts
Can you ellaborate on "finally" ?

Like.. you have been waiting for fine weather or just that the set up is a nightmare?

I heard these are kinda floaty... I think I will like that.. as long as it's stable and not too rolley.

haha.. I used to drive trucks.. and I can relate to that.. Just do everything you want to do well before you want it to happen... Think ahead..

I need to save weight because of the retracts so I'm limited... I think.
Not seen any GWS with retracts yet.. very surprising.
Old Nov 16, 2010, 08:29 PM
AMA 353531
Joined Aug 2003
6,539 Posts
Quote:
Can you ellaborate on "finally" ?
I bought mine through the early bird program before they were available to the general public, but events conspired against me getting it built.

Once I got going, the build was actually very easy. Even with filling and glassing the wings it was one of the easiest and fastest builds I've done.

Quote:
I heard these are kinda floaty... I think I will like that.. as long as it's stable and not too rolley.
That's fair- it was quite happy in the sky and generally easy to deal with.

I had plenty of control to do whatever I wanted (roll rate is strikingly high), but the control was not what I'd call "crisp" or "precise".

I'm not sure if that's the nature of the beast or if my setup needs tuning.

As to retracts-- the airframe is *very* tolerant of extra weight as long as you have a reasonable amount of thrust. With a 400-500 watt setup I wouldn't hesitate to go for the retracts. I have pneumatics in my GWS 262. Tiny pneumatics are very finiky, the electrics should be much nicer.
Old Nov 17, 2010, 09:14 AM
AMA 353531
Joined Aug 2003
6,539 Posts
Anyone tried the 7 blade impellers from Hobby King in one of these? I blew up *another* GWS 64 impeller yesterday. They're cheap and easy to replace, but my LHS doesn't stock them anymore so I'm looking at other options.

The 7 blade is supposed to be more thrusty than the GWS rotors, not sure of the draw with similar motors...
Old Nov 18, 2010, 03:02 AM
skunkworks
United States, CA, Clovis
Joined Apr 2008
1,536 Posts
Quote:
I bought mine through the early bird program before they were available to the general public, but events conspired against me getting it built.

Once I got going, the build was actually very easy. Even with filling and glassing the wings it was one of the easiest and fastest builds I've done.

That's fair- it was quite happy in the sky and generally easy to deal with.

I had plenty of control to do whatever I wanted (roll rate is strikingly high), but the control was not what I'd call "crisp" or "precise".

I'm not sure if that's the nature of the beast or if my setup needs tuning.

As to retracts-- the airframe is *very* tolerant of extra weight as long as you have a reasonable amount of thrust. With a 400-500 watt setup I wouldn't hesitate to go for the retracts. I have pneumatics in my GWS 262. Tiny pneumatics are very finiky, the electrics should be much nicer.
Yeah they fly nice heavy or light. Mine weighs in at 46oz.s, but I am running elev/aileron and using a 4000 mah pack
Dark Angel is offline Find More Posts by Dark Angel
Old Nov 18, 2010, 04:25 AM
We want... Information!
Hastings, New Zealand
Joined Jan 2001
5,054 Posts
Quote:
Anyone tried the 7 blade impellers from Hobby King
AFAIK the only 7 blade impeller they have (that will fit a 64mm fan) is the OR001-01502. However this one has very aggressive pitch so it will probably overload your motor. You would also need the appropriate shaft adapter (only 2.3/3/3.17mm versions are available - no good if your motor has a 2mm shaft!).
Bruce Abbott is online now Find More Posts by Bruce Abbott