HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale

Extreme Flight 48" Vanquish Review

Jeremy Chinn checks out the terrific looking and great flying precision airplane (which just happens to be an awesome 3D plane as well) from Extreme Flight - the 48" Vanquish!

Splash

Introduction

Extreme Flight 48” Vanquish
Extreme Flight 48” Vanquish
Wingspan:48”
Wing Area:425 sq. in.
Weight:45 oz.
Length:52.5"
Wing Loading:15.24 oz/sq. ft.
Servos:(4) Futaba 3102’s
Transmitter:Futaba 9CAP
Receiver:Castle Creations Berg 7
Battery:DualSky 4s 2200mah LiPo
Motor:Torque 2814/820
ESC:Airboss 45
Manufacturer:Extreme Flight RC
Available From:Extreme Flight RC
Retail Price:Plane only - $179.95, Combo - $329.95

Extreme Flight has been a leader in the Radio Control ARF market for some time. The build and flight quality of their planes has propelled them to become a class leader. Adding to their already successful new line of high quality ARF balsa airplanes, Extreme Flight has introduced a new pattern/aerobatic airplane to their fleet - The 48” Vanquish. The Vanquish is modeled after the beautiful 2 meter pattern planes which dominate the FAI pattern scene the world over. Extensive testing and thoughtful design have yielded a model which can be transported in any small car, yet flies like its much larger siblings.

The 48” Vanquish has many innovative ideas incorporated into its design including removable wings which mount on a carbon fiber wing tube and an upper hatch which is mounted using strong magnets and a spring loaded mechanical latch. This is an aerobatic airplane that excels in precision flight but can also fly 3D maneuvers as well. In fact, it flies pattern so well, some pattern competitors are using it as a practice plane.

Kit Contents

The Vanquish arrived in excellent condition due to its good packaging. The main kit box was overboxed with a second stronger outer box. It was neatly packed, and each part was placed in its own protective plastic bag, securely held in the box with packing tape. Cardboard dividers help to insure that no one piece rubs or scratches the other parts of the airplane. I ordered the Super Combo, so the shipping box also contained the Airboss Elite 45 amp speed control and the Torque motor for the Vanquish. ·

Kit Contains:

• Complete high quality hardware package
  • Painted aluminum landing gear
  • Pre-cut fiberglass cowl and wheel pants
  • Motor box assembly
  • Decal sheet
  • Torque Motor and Airboss ESC (with Super Combo)
  • Detailed Assembly manual

Kit Requires:

• Torque 2814-820 (recommended)
  • Airboss Elite 45 ESC (recommended)
  • (2) HS-65HB servos (recommended)
  • (2) HS-65HB Metal Gear servos (recommended)
  • 4 cell 2200mAh LiPo battery and connectors
  • (min.) 5-6 channel receiver
  • (2) 12" ext. and (2) 6" ext.
  • Building supplies – Epoxy, CA, Solder, etc.

Assembly

The Vanquish comes with a very complete manual that is easy to follow and understand. Included in the manual are guidelines for setup, flying and handling of the model. Following the manual, assembly goes quickly and without any snags.

Wing

The difference between the Vanquish and other ARFs on the market begins with its pattern designed wing. The wing design uses a thin airfoil compared to most sport and 3D airplanes. This wing gives it precise handling and razor sharp snaps, but does not endow the airplane with any bad habits.

Tail

Installing the ailerons on the Vanquish is a simple task. The Ailerons and wings come pre slotted for the included CA Hinges. When you install the ailerons, check the alignment of the hinge slots by viewing the aileron from the trailing edge. Make sure that the hingeline of the wing and the aileron match up correctly. The left wing on my model was slightly off, but was easily corrected by re-slotting the aileron and wing by one hinge width to the side of the original location. I used Futaba S3102s on all control surfaces so I had to modify the servo mounts in the wings with my dremel tool after removing the covering from the servo mount hole. I tested an HS65 and that servo simply dropped right into the servo bays. The hardware included in the kit is simple to install and robust.

Installing the tail is a simple affair. I used a hot soldering iron to carefully remove the covering from the fuselage sides. Then I test fit everything to insure that the covering was removed from all gluing surfaces. Following the instructions provided in the manual, I slid in the elevator followed by the horizontal stabilizer. After sliding the elevator hinges into place, I lined the elevator/horizontal stab assembly in the fuse and glued it in place with medium CA. No sanding or adjustments were necessary as the Vanquish was perfectly straight out of the box. The notch at the leading edge of the horizontal stab was very helpful in aligning the assembly. I decided to epoxy the vertical stabilizer in my Vanquish, and again no adjustments or sanding was necessary. I used Epoxy to secure the control horns in the surfaces after roughing their mount areas slightly with rough sandpaper.

Installing the elevator servo was a snap after adding an 18” extension to the servo itself and removing the covering from the mount hole with a soldering iron. The included hardware was easy to install and simple to adjust.

I installed the rudder servo in the fuse and threaded the pull-pull cable through the fuse. I found it easiest to secure the cable to the servo first and then secure it at the control horn end.

Fuselage

The Vanquish uses a mixture of thin plywood and laser cut balsa to provide a strong but lightweight structure. Inspecting the glue joints in my Vanquish revealed not a single glue joint which needed reinforcement, and my subsequent flights backed this observation up.

The landing gear mount is strong and needs no reinforcement. Lightweight aluminum landing gear is provided for the Vanquish and proved to be more than adequate for bumpy grass field landings. As stock, my Vanquish landing gear showed a significant amount of toe-out at the wheels. I re-drilled the innermost hole on the landing gear to allow the wheels to align in a more straightforward fashion. I’ve flown the airplane with the landing gear in both positions and both are fine.

Motor Mounting

Following the instructions, the motor box was easy to install. However prior to installing the motor box on the front of the plane, I elected to install blind-nuts in the rear of the firewall to ease future maintenance. This took only a moment as the firewall is pre drilled for the Torque motor thus removing any guesswork during the installation. From my experience flying several friends’ Vanquishes, I decided to install my motor with right thrust. I added (2) #4 washers under the left side motor mount tabs during installation to give the correct amount of right thrust. I mounted the ESC to the bottom of the motor box with some Velcro and a zip tie. This location put the ESC right in front of one of the cool air inlets in the cowling for better cooling. After mounting the motor and ESC, I taped the cowling in place with masking tape. I used the spinner and the paint lines to aid in getting the cowling on straight. Once straight, I drilled the cowling and fuselage to accept the mounting screws provided in the kit.

Completion

The Vanquish is an extremely quick build and can be completed in a couple of relaxed evenings worth of work. The quality of materials, construction, and the level of pre-fabrication keep the build simple and almost error proof.

My EF 48” Vanquish came in at 46 oz. ready-to-fly. While the finished weight came out slightly more than I hoped, I was sure it would still fly extremely well given that it still maintained a fairly light wing loading (15.24 oz/sq. ft.) on 425 sq. in. of wing area.

Flying

Control Throw Setup

Control throws were set per the instructions manual:
Low Rates UpLow Rates Down High Rates Up High Rates Down
Elevator 10 degrees 10 degrees max. throws max. throws
Aileron 20 degrees 20 degrees max. throws max. throws
Low Rates Left Low Rates Right High Rates Left High Rates Right
Rudder 15 degrees 15 degrees max. throws max. throws

The Basics, Including Takeoff and Landings

The EF 48” Vanquish tracks very well on the ground and offers the pilot no bad tendencies or additional work load. The main wheels have a slight tow-in while on the ground, and I am sure this contributes to improving the ground roll of the Vanquish . Takeoffs can be done with as little as 1/2 power. Very little rudder is needed during the short takeoff roll to maintain a straight track.

Once in the air, the Vanquish is very light on the wing and can be comfortably flown at very slow speeds. Stalls offer no surprises and simply result in a slight drop of the nose once effective lift is lost. There is no drop of a wing tip during the stall. Recovery is simply a matter of reducing elevator input and applying throttle. Like any good pattern plane, the Vanquish tracks extremely well in the air and goes exactly where you command.

Landing the Vanquish is as straightforward as I have seen on a plane of this size. Align it on a nice descending path with a slight amount of power until a few feet above the runway, and you will be rewarded with nice three point landing every time.

Aerobatics/Special Flight Performance

The EF49" Vanquish was made for pattern flying. Flip the switch to high/3D rates and the Vanquish will not disappoint. I found that the Vanquish could do most pattern maneuvers with ease. Knife edge flight with the Vanquish is very stable, and I found that there was a minimal coupling which was easily mixed out. Rolls are fairly axial and can be extremely fast when set up for maximum deflection. I only needed a small amount of aileron differential to make them completely axial. The Vanquish does snaps extremely well with its long tail moment

The Vanquish does quite well flying precision maneuvers- as it should with its clear pattern intentions. Four point rolls, slow rolls, loops were all very nice when set up on low rates and flown at moderate speeds. Inverted flight required only slight down elevator, but further CG trimming eliminated much of this.

EF 48” Vanquish Precision Report Card

ManeuverGrade Notes
Rolls A- The Vanquish does these quite nicely. There is lots of throw from the ailerons available to get these to start and stop quickly.
Level Flight A This is very stable. No tracking issues.
Snaps A+ Crisp and precise!
Stall Turns B Needed a more rudder throw to initiate and correct.
Rolling CirclesA + Extremely smooth and easy to perform.
Knife Edge A- Excellent with minimal coupling.
Flat-Spins B+ Easy to initiate, but easier with high rates.

Is This For a Beginner?

I would say that the EF 48" Vanquish is NOT for a beginner. The Vanquish does not have the self-leveling capabilities of most trainers and would make for a very nice 2nd or 3rd low wing airplane.

Photo Gallery

Flight Video

Downloads

Conclusion

The EF 48" Vanquish is a terrific looking and great flying precision airplane which can 3D as well. The supplied power package provided more than enough power for the Vanquish without compromising the integrity of the airframe. The included hardware that comes with the kit is top notch. I look forward to flying more of my EF Vanquish this year as it always draws a crowd any time it's at the field.

Pluses:

• Great looking trim scheme makes visibility and orientation of the plane very easy
  • Outstanding complete hardware package
  • Canopy latch ensures a no eject canopy
  • Overall flight characteristics
  • Canopy pre-mounted

Minuses:

• Landing gear drilling caused poor alignment of the stock wheels and wheel pants
  • Limited Servo choices without modifications
Last edited by Angela H; Aug 20, 2007 at 02:02 PM..

Discussion

Old Aug 21, 2007, 02:26 PM
frisco,tx
Joined Oct 2003
1,911 Posts
12x8 prop?
txfly is offline Find More Posts by txfly
Old Aug 21, 2007, 02:36 PM
There is no place like Hodges!
United States, GA, Byron
Joined Mar 2007
3,549 Posts
Great review! Higher Plane Productions did a video with this plane a few days ago.
edge5foamy is offline Find More Posts by edge5foamy
Old Aug 21, 2007, 02:56 PM
Test your skills....fly IMAC!!
Swanton, Ohio
Joined Feb 2005
7,990 Posts
Jeremy,

Nice review!! The Vanquish appears to be a very smooth flyer and you did extremely well putting it through its paces.

Same question as txfly, what prop were you using in the video and how many amps and watts was this setup pulling?

How does it 3D??

Thanks

Tim
sun.flyer is offline Find More Posts by sun.flyer
Old Aug 21, 2007, 03:28 PM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,518 Posts
Fantastically smooth and nice. Looks like a keeper for sure.....

Mike
pda4you is offline Find More Posts by pda4you
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 21, 2007, 05:20 PM
The sky is my playground.
United States, NH
Joined May 2005
7,710 Posts
Thanks for a great review, this will be my next Extreme Flight plane--I already have the electronics for it. I just need the airframe.
Dora Nine is offline Find More Posts by Dora Nine
Old Aug 21, 2007, 09:53 PM
Team Extreme Flight, JR, BandE
Georgetown, IN
Joined Dec 2003
2,099 Posts
Good job Jeremy, I really like mine.
Jeff Williams
jwilliamsrc is online now Find More Posts by jwilliamsrc
Old Aug 21, 2007, 10:08 PM
Tennessee/Mid-South US
Joined Mar 2002
1,534 Posts
Quote:
Same question as txfly, what prop were you using in the video and how many amps and watts was this setup pulling?
Actually, I found that I liked the 11-5.5E prop best of the bunch. (I just realized I did not include that in the review) I'll have to pull my notes when I get back from vacation to give the watts and amps.

Quote:
How does it 3D??
I think its an incredible pattern plane that 3D's well. The 3D it does however is more like a giant scale or IMAC plane 3D'ing. It does the maneuvers well, but you need to "think ahead". Its not a 3D profile or a foamy, and in that sense, it does not 3D like one.

Thanks for the comments on the review. It truly was my pleasure to get the opportunity to write the review on this airplane.
matchlessaero is offline Find More Posts by matchlessaero
Old Aug 21, 2007, 10:43 PM
Grandville, MI
Joined Dec 2003
2,240 Posts
Very nice review and very nicely flown. I thought I had read somewhere that you are a fellow Mode 1 flyer.

dawg
r/cdawg is online now Find More Posts by r/cdawg
Old Aug 21, 2007, 10:55 PM
Tennessee/Mid-South US
Joined Mar 2002
1,534 Posts
Quote:
I thought I had read somewhere that you are a fellow Mode 1 flyer.

You heard right Dawg. I fly mode 1 (have for 20+ yrs) however I fly mode 2 also....
Old Aug 22, 2007, 12:25 AM
Fly it like you stole it..
Florence, Al
Joined Oct 2000
29,310 Posts
Boy, this is a well timed review..

I have been thinkin' about getting a new pattern bird.. It was down to the Aspera and this..

I think Mike and Chris have a winner with this one!

Jeff
www.CommonSenseRC.com
Tram is offline Find More Posts by Tram
Old Aug 22, 2007, 05:21 AM
Merseyside, UK
Joined Aug 2007
287 Posts
Totally agree, great review, I maidened my vanquish a few days ago and whoever gets one of these models will not be dissapointed, this is simply an awesome model, whether it be 3D or Pattern, it perfroms both with ease and suprisingly feels like a much bigger plane than what it actually is, nice job!

Quick vid of my vanquish flying 3D if anyone is interested:
EF Vanquish F3A (3 min 44 sec)
19Graham91 is offline Find More Posts by 19Graham91
Old Aug 22, 2007, 09:17 AM
3DHS Junkie
Rhode Island
Joined Jun 2005
5,683 Posts
great review!
800mZero is offline Find More Posts by 800mZero
Old Aug 22, 2007, 09:50 AM
"Have Glue - Will Travel"
Ft. Worth, Texas
Joined Jan 2004
2,428 Posts
Excellent review Jeremy! The Vanquish looks like it's on rails

And I like the music, who is that wringin' out the guitar? Sounds very much like Eric Johnson or Joe Satriani.

Ronnie
dawnron1 is offline Find More Posts by dawnron1
Last edited by dawnron1; Aug 22, 2007 at 11:45 AM.
Old Aug 22, 2007, 11:29 AM
Tennessee/Mid-South US
Joined Mar 2002
1,534 Posts
Quote:
Excellent review Jeremy! The plane looks like it's on rails

And I like the music, who is that wringin' out the guitar? Sounds very much like Eric Johnson or Joe Satriani.

Ronnie
Thanks Ronnie! and yes, its Joe Satriani (my favorite song of his : )