HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 07, 2007, 02:57 PM
Joined May 2007
40 Posts
Question
how much space do you need?

i am going to be getting a Hangar 9 27% Extra 260 and am going to be joining a club to fly at and am wondering how big of a space and/or runway do i need to fly this beast? if anyone can give me a guesstimate that would help a lot. thanks.
aerofanatic is offline Find More Posts by aerofanatic
to remove ads between posts
Old May 07, 2007, 03:12 PM
United States, PA, Lancaster
Joined Jun 2003
24,141 Posts
The Extreme Flight 74" Yak is very similar in size. I typically need about 150-200' for landing. Compressing it any more than that gives very little margin for error.
blucor basher is offline Find More Posts by blucor basher
Site Sponsor
Old May 09, 2007, 03:36 AM
Naturally altered
Joined Feb 2005
2,519 Posts
If you don't know how much runway you need for this plane (you haven't seen any fly have you?), and you have not flown in a club, where you would have seen one, a 27% Extra is not the right plane for you. And if you come at my club, I will NOT train you on this plane, nor will any instructor in his right mind.
Cubber is offline Find More Posts by Cubber
Old May 09, 2007, 06:16 AM
United States, MI, South Lyon
Joined Aug 2004
1,178 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubber
If you don't know how much runway you need for this plane (you haven't seen any fly have you?), and you have not flown in a club, where you would have seen one, a 27% Extra is not the right plane for you. And if you come at my club, I will NOT train you on this plane, nor will any instructor in his right mind.

Wow, let's be a little more open minded here? Maybe he's moving to a club that has a smaller field. Maybe he's proficient at flying the current crop of 45" 3S style aerobats. If so, he can handle a 27%er. No need to jump down his throat for asking a legit question.

Anyway, I know a guy that flies an electrified version of this plane this plane, and it lands like a pussycat. 200' would be bare minimum for me. Another thing to consider is the width of the runway. IMO, the bigger the plane is the greater the tendency to keep the plane further off the centerline until you get used to flying a "big" plane.

Hope this helps.
StrangeGager is offline Find More Posts by StrangeGager
Old May 09, 2007, 08:54 AM
Glow Free Since Aug, 2005
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Joined Aug 2004
1,258 Posts
One thing to keep in mind is that, while 200ft is plenty to take-off and land, additional runway space will never be wasted. Also, make sure the approach path is clear. A 200ft runway becomes a 50ft runway if there are trees at the end

My club used to be on a field with 200ft of paved runway,but that runway was surrounded by berms and ravines. There was very little giant scale flown there because in the event of a problem, there's no room for error. Funtana 90's were flown there, but nothing much larger than that.

We're now on a new field with a 600ft runway and plenty of runoff area. Lots more giant scale seems to be coming out of the woodwork now.

While motor failures aren't as common, stuff does happen, and you'll find yourself wishing for more runway... Especially on the first flights of the aircraft where you're not sure how much you can slow it down, and how the aircraft glides.

Point is... 200ft minimum, but if you have a choice of clubs, more runway is better

Tom
tommy321 is offline Find More Posts by tommy321
Old May 09, 2007, 11:08 AM
Naturally altered
Joined Feb 2005
2,519 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangeGager
Wow, let's be a little more open minded here?
I would like to, but I can't. One in particular showed at our club our with extras and other warbirds. He was turned down by everyone. Against all advice, he ended up buying a .60 size taildragger as a trainer (five years have elapsed in the mean-time). On his second solo flight, the plane veered right, toward the Heli training area, he froze on the spot and hit a $2000 heli, missing the two people flying it by merely inches.

I sincerely hope that's not the case here, but I still say no.
Cubber is offline Find More Posts by Cubber