SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 07, 2007, 02:39 PM
Joined Feb 2006
27 Posts
Discussion
Why can't I maintain a steady altitude hover 5#6

My 5#6 hovers well laterally but no matter how I try, the heli seems to always be going up or down. I cant get it to maintain a steady hoh in altitude. Anyone have better luck? Suggestions?
kleaners is offline Find More Posts by kleaners
to remove ads between posts
Old May 07, 2007, 02:41 PM
21st Century Space Cowboy
Chipping, Lancs, UK
Joined Oct 2006
2,935 Posts
Remove the ratchet on the throttle, or at least put some fuel tubing over it to remove the clicks.

Tach.
TachyonDriver is offline Find More Posts by TachyonDriver
Old May 07, 2007, 02:43 PM
Joined Feb 2006
27 Posts
There is no ratchet on the 5#6. It smoothly slides. I just cannot find a neutral position.
kleaners is offline Find More Posts by kleaners
Old May 07, 2007, 03:07 PM
21st Century Space Cowboy
Chipping, Lancs, UK
Joined Oct 2006
2,935 Posts
Ah... erm..oh well... sorry!

All I can suggest now is that when you've got a feel for the heli's rising and falling you try and anticipate that on the throttle. Yes, you'll constantly have to fly the throttle...

Tach.
TachyonDriver is offline Find More Posts by TachyonDriver
Old May 07, 2007, 03:20 PM View Post
"The Dwarf"
A moderator felt this post violated the following rule: Trolling (Obnoxious behavior). It is temporarily hidden while "The Dwarf" edits it. Show it to me anyway.
Old May 07, 2007, 03:28 PM
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum!
PRC (People's Republic of Commiefornia)
Joined Jul 2005
9,602 Posts
I find that simply removing the spring steel ratchet on my throttle stick leaves the stick with almost no tension and feedback making it harder to precisely modulate throttle, so I put a piece of shrink wrap tubing over the steel clip which eliminates the ratcheting feel but also provides some drag on the throttle lever. Fuel tubing probably works good too.

Doubletap
Doubletap is offline Find More Posts by Doubletap
Old May 07, 2007, 03:56 PM
Your Mama's house!
Joined Mar 2005
6,196 Posts
Hay Doubletap, that's a cool idea. Next time you are in your handle can ya post a pic, just so I can be sure?

James
Butters is offline Find More Posts by Butters
Old May 07, 2007, 04:38 PM
Joined May 2007
9 Posts
The throttle trim should prove helpful in finding the neutral position. Say if it goes up a wee bit, you just take the throttle trim down a bit!
Septimus is offline Find More Posts by Septimus
Old May 07, 2007, 07:56 PM
Livermore, CA
Joined Sep 2004
8,582 Posts
All 3 of my 5#6's are the same way. Either going up or down. The throttle doesn't have enough steps in it around the hover rpm. There is no throttle trim!
Its just a useless decoration.
I thought about adding some weight, but I think it would just push the motors to much. Maybe I'll try to lighten it.
I picked up a 5#5b and it does the same thing!
It has a throttle trim, but it doesn't have any smaller steps, so its just like the stick, too much up or down.
It would be nice to be able to use a good Tx and rx on these little helis. Butch
Butch777 is offline Find More Posts by Butch777
Old May 07, 2007, 08:07 PM
Joined Jul 2005
9,602 Posts
I think it has to do with the cheap integrated speed controllers in these RTF's. I can get my 5#6 and 5#5B to maintain altitude fairly well buy my Esky Lama V3 is a different story. There seems to be a step right where it hovers which makes it almost impossible to HOH.

Doubletap
Old May 07, 2007, 08:25 PM
TREE TOP PILOT
United States, IN, Greenfield
Joined Feb 2007
1,804 Posts
I removed throttle spring entirely..Can hover at any level needed.There are no steps in my esc.I think a prisey tx would be an overkill for a heli of this caliber.Main thing is if your having fun thats all that counts
crashdumby is offline Find More Posts by crashdumby
Old May 07, 2007, 08:37 PM
TREE TOP PILOT
United States, IN, Greenfield
Joined Feb 2007
1,804 Posts
HEY Doubletap

On your sabure heli did you trim down your main rotor blades to 15" ? whats the best way to do that? Do you like them that way?.You can pm me if you like.I think i would like to try that on my falcon 40...Randy.
crashdumby is offline Find More Posts by crashdumby
Old May 07, 2007, 08:46 PM
Lou
United States, VA, Waynesboro
Joined Dec 2005
5,509 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubletap
I think it has to do with the cheap integrated speed controllers in these RTF's. I can get my 5#6 and 5#5B to maintain altitude fairly well buy my Esky Lama V3 is a different story. There seems to be a step right where it hovers which makes it almost impossible to HOH.

Doubletap

That or the blades are flexing too much and the heli is losing lift. Are the blades on this heli rather thin or thick? I am not familiar with this heli, is it possible to use the Xtreme blades? They are much thicker and provide better lift.
Lou is offline Find More Posts by Lou
RCG Plus Member
Old May 07, 2007, 08:46 PM
Joined Jul 2005
9,602 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashdumby
On your sabure heli did you trim down your main rotor blades to 15" ? whats the best way to do that? Do you like them that way?.You can pm me if you like.I think i would like to try that on my falcon 40...Randy.
Sorry, OT here: I left my Sabre full size; only my GWS Dragonfly is mothed, mains cut down to 15". There's a link to an article on how to do this; do a search in the micro forum to find it. I like my Dragonmoth alot more than my Sabre because it's far more responsive and I can fly it in a much smaller space. Removed the flybar weights from both of them which made a big difference. I'm hovering full packs now indoors in a 9' x 10' space! Full size Sabre takes alot more effort though.

Doubletap
Old May 07, 2007, 08:47 PM
Joined Jul 2005
9,602 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LouieB
That or the blades are flexing too much and the heli is losing lift. Are the blades on this heli rather thin or thick? I am not familiar with this heli, is it possible to use the Xtreme blades? They are much thicker and provide better lift.
I have the Xtreme blades on my V3 yet it still is very difficult to maintain constant altitude.

Doubletap