HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 17, 2007, 08:07 AM
High speed bug smasher
Bradenton, FL
Joined Jan 2007
475 Posts
Great progress and fantastic work. I did have a couple questions:
1. Do you have set screws or something to hold the flybar in place?
2. Do you plan to use off-the-shelf ball links and rods? I certainly would.

As far as spares, it's hard to know what will break in advance (hopefully nothing), so you may end up spending many hours making a part that you never need. Just a thought.
heli_addict is offline Find More Posts by heli_addict
to remove ads between posts
Old May 17, 2007, 09:44 AM
Rank Amateur
Maumee, Ohio
Joined Sep 2005
773 Posts
Just keep detailed drawings and note all modifications you made to get a good fit
cadmonkey is offline Find More Posts by cadmonkey
Old May 17, 2007, 01:50 PM
Just some bloke
Up north, UK
Joined Mar 2005
436 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by heli_addict
Great progress and fantastic work. I did have a couple questions:
1. Do you have set screws or something to hold the flybar in place?
2. Do you plan to use off-the-shelf ball links and rods? I certainly would.
The flybar will be held in it's bearings by the flybar control levers. Haven't made them yet, so can't show you... Basically, the head is a copy of an ECO 8 head with a few adjustments here and there.

I'll be buying the ball links. Any suggestions?

Anyway... today's progress...

Grips are on, feathering shaft (5mm silver steel) made and a fair amount of fiddling to get everything to fit nicely...
Phil R is offline Find More Posts by Phil R
Old May 17, 2007, 06:29 PM
Rank Amateur
Maumee, Ohio
Joined Sep 2005
773 Posts
That looks excellent! Are you going to make a custom swash or use an off the shelf model?
Old May 17, 2007, 06:40 PM
HeliAP'er!
Surrey, UK
Joined Aug 2003
8,202 Posts
Stunning work Phil!

Are you going to round any of the edges by the way?

David
Hogster is online now Find More Posts by Hogster
Old May 17, 2007, 06:47 PM
---------Speed!!---------
Illinois
Joined Jul 2003
6,134 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil R
The flybar will be held in it's bearings by the flybar control levers. Haven't made them yet, so can't show you... Basically, the head is a copy of an ECO 8 head with a few adjustments here and there.

I'll be buying the ball links. Any suggestions?

Anyway... today's progress...

Grips are on, feathering shaft (5mm silver steel) made and a fair amount of fiddling to get everything to fit nicely...
Phil,

I can donate 2mm ball links and the corresponding balls for this project. These are normally meant for the Eolo. I have tons in stock. If your holes are drilled 1/16 inch, you can run a 2mm tap directly into that hole.

I have "Long" and "Short" stainless linkage balls and plastic ball links.

How many would you like?

Oh, I can also give you a piece of heat treated, 5mm, grade 5 titanium rod for your feather shaft.

Matt
Heli Mod Man is offline Find More Posts by Heli Mod Man
Old May 17, 2007, 06:49 PM
---------Speed!!---------
Illinois
Joined Jul 2003
6,134 Posts
Oh, also, how are you dampening the head? Is it positive or negative Delta3?

Matt
Heli Mod Man is offline Find More Posts by Heli Mod Man
Old May 27, 2007, 08:18 AM
Just some bloke
Up north, UK
Joined Mar 2005
436 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Mod Man
Phil,

I can donate 2mm ball links and the corresponding balls for this project. These are normally meant for the Eolo. I have tons in stock. If your holes are drilled 1/16 inch, you can run a 2mm tap directly into that hole.

I have "Long" and "Short" stainless linkage balls and plastic ball links.

How many would you like?

Oh, I can also give you a piece of heat treated, 5mm, grade 5 titanium rod for your feather shaft.

Matt
Thanks for the offer... I managed to get my order in for some Ikarus ball links before I saw your post.

Thanks anyway.
Old May 27, 2007, 08:38 AM
Just some bloke
Up north, UK
Joined Mar 2005
436 Posts
As you can see, I've been busy...

My latest order (Midland helicopters) contained a main gear, boom and tail blades from the Century Swift, along with flybar paddles from the TREX 600 and ball links from the ECO 8.

Getting my hands on the main gear and tail boom has let me work out the dimensions of the frame. The frame is unusual in that it's based around a bearing tube for the main shaft that's set into a strong base that's then lightly braced to the tail boom (or at least it will be when I've finished removing metal) The upper brace will connect the top of the bearing tube to the tail clamps - when it's finished it'll be bent up to meet the bearing tube.

As you can see, the base is lightened underneath - I may lighten it further - I'll see how it works out...

The base forward of the motor will be the mount for the lipos/ ESC and will be lightened further.

The motor in the pics isn't the one I'll use. It's a Hextronic 28/20 sized stator from United Hobbies. I think I'll go up a size to the 28/26 stator that they do.
Old May 27, 2007, 05:15 PM
Renewed interest
Melbourne , Australia
Joined Jun 2002
8,950 Posts
wow, love the progress
ozace is offline Find More Posts by ozace
Old Jun 12, 2007, 09:29 PM
Rank Amateur
Maumee, Ohio
Joined Sep 2005
773 Posts
Phil - how goes the saga? Have you made any progress?
Old Jun 13, 2007, 05:41 AM
Just some bloke
Up north, UK
Joined Mar 2005
436 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadmonkey
Phil - how goes the saga? Have you made any progress?
Saga is right...

It seems like I've been working on it for years... although I have taken time out whilst waiting for orders to arrive - making the perfect antidote to helis - country wine... I've done rhubarb, hawthorn blossom, rose hip, elderflower blossom and nettle so far - 12 gallons in total.

Anyway, back to the heli...

I chickened out and bought the swashplate. It's one from the 3DX 500. Fits a treat.

The auto-rotation bearing is also from the 3DX 500. Consists of 3 bearings (one is the one way needle roller) and a hard steel collar. I've set them in a split hub that can clamp the bearings. I don't think I can get the right interference fit for the bearings with the machinery I've got, so this was a simpler solution.

The tail has a ballraced slider mechanism and twin ball races on the grips. tail blades and belt pulley are from the Swift. Still needs balancing (as does the rest of the heli), but runs smoothly so far.

Now I've braced the main frame with the top member, it's incredibly stiff. The motor/main shaft area will be braced using another member below the motor - also something to hang the undercarriage and camera on.

Today's job is the anti-rotation links to the swashplate... wish me luck. I forsee a lot of swearing!
Old Jun 13, 2007, 08:03 AM
HeliAP'er!
Surrey, UK
Joined Aug 2003
8,202 Posts
I love the look of all that aluminium!! Great to see more of your progress Phil

David
Hogster is online now Find More Posts by Hogster
Old Jun 13, 2007, 08:49 AM
mad heli scientist
United States, OK, Oklahoma City
Joined Dec 2005
4,034 Posts
Brilliant work! I want a mill quite badly but it's not yet practical. The book "Tabletop Machining" by Joe Martin just arrived. I figured I would learn a couple things before I make a purchase.

I do what crude work I can with a drill press, hand-tapping machine, circular grinder, 3 dremels and a milling bed for the dremel drill press... and sandpaper.

I have trouble tapping 2mm threads. The shaft diameter of the tap is too small for the smallest tool holder on my tapping machine. Getting the threads straight and square by hand is guesswork at best. I end up with threads that have too much slop- they work, but I question their reliability.
Gadget01 is offline Find More Posts by Gadget01
Old Jun 13, 2007, 09:24 AM
Your attitude is your alt
Nashville Metro, Tennesse, United States
Joined Aug 2001
2,644 Posts
Great work, I see several different existing helicopters in your design, looks like you took the best of the best and improved on them. I especially like your main shaft support structure, it should be virtually bullet proof!

Gary Morris
Gary Morris is offline Find More Posts by Gary Morris