HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 14, 2007, 05:26 PM
Conformity Kill's
Mission Viejo, CA
Joined Nov 2005
2,796 Posts
My first job out of School was doing mechanical design...the machinist made me make a few parts on an old bridgeport with nothing more than some calipers and zero guage (looks like a drill blank, you load it in the chuck and when it touches the side of the material you can set zero for that axis by moving the table half the dia. of the shaft.) Our shop had plenty of CNC machines he just wanted to teach me a lesson about making parts simple and think about how hard it is to make certian cuts and features... and to break it down so that parts that did go on the CNC were fast to make, cheap and with very few tool changes....I wish I had a mill of my own....

GW
geneween is offline Find More Posts by geneween
to remove ads between posts
Old May 14, 2007, 07:14 PM
Rank Amateur
Maumee, Ohio
Joined Sep 2005
773 Posts
GW - I wish more professions taught that - I had to learn to draw with a pencil and paper before I could start on CAD, I am one of the few of this generation of drafters that learned the same way as the designers did, too many jump right into CAD and have no respect for how easy what they're doing is compared to the old way.

The X3 is actually the better one to CNC, the X2 still uses a rack for the Z so either you have a lot of backlash CNC'ing the rack, or have to design a ball screw replacement. The X3 uses a leadscrew for the head (and adds a quill) so it's a bit more straightforward.

Anyone who has questions about milling/machining/CNC head over to CNCzone.com - starting off in the Benchtop Mills forum will give lots of insight for a budding hobbyist/garage machinist.
cadmonkey is offline Find More Posts by cadmonkey
Old May 14, 2007, 07:25 PM
Renewed interest
Melbourne , Australia
Joined Jun 2002
8,950 Posts
Thanks Cad, now another bl@@dy forum to follow
ozace is offline Find More Posts by ozace
Old May 14, 2007, 07:38 PM
Conformity Kill's
Mission Viejo, CA
Joined Nov 2005
2,796 Posts
I'm 34 now and have been, Drafting/Designing on board and CAD since I was 14....I went to a special program in High School for Engineering and Technology...Very much hands on...The first company I worked for build custom fixtures for PCB testing and that's where I learned to use CNC machines, and appriciate how well Phil's parts are turning out without the add of numeric contorls....for goodness sake even a good digital readout makes machining parts out easier...He's doing it old school.... In the future I plan on getting a full size CNC Vertical knee mill...Just have to make room for it in the Garage....

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadmonkey
GW - I wish more professions taught that - I had to learn to draw with a pencil and paper before I could start on CAD, I am one of the few of this generation of drafters that learned the same way as the designers did, too many jump right into CAD and have no respect for how easy what they're doing is compared to the old way.

The X3 is actually the better one to CNC, the X2 still uses a rack for the Z so either you have a lot of backlash CNC'ing the rack, or have to design a ball screw replacement. The X3 uses a leadscrew for the head (and adds a quill) so it's a bit more straightforward.

Anyone who has questions about milling/machining/CNC head over to CNCzone.com - starting off in the Benchtop Mills forum will give lots of insight for a budding hobbyist/garage machinist.
geneween is offline Find More Posts by geneween
Old May 14, 2007, 08:23 PM
Destroyer of G-10
United States, OR
Joined Jul 2004
10,085 Posts
x3 is goodl. only issue is that it weighs 300lb, which makes it more than what one person can move. frankly, I've been happy with taig micromill as well. accurate and with enough travel/cutting capacity. I prefer it over the x2. (and my x2 is loaded with belt drive and ball screw)
askman is offline Find More Posts by askman
RCG Plus Member
Old May 15, 2007, 02:32 PM
Just some bloke
Up north, UK
Joined Mar 2005
436 Posts
I never thought the blade grips would be so difficult to make... not just time consuming with the potential to make a mistake at every operation - there's two of them that have to match... Aaaarrrhhhh!!!!

To say that I'm pleased with myself would be a bit of an understatement... The grips turned out well.

Another load of bearings came today, so I've got enough to keep me busy for a while...

Thought I'd mention some of the suppliers that I've used for this project:

Axminster Power Tool Centre. A great place to get tools from - this is where I got the mill. I've always had exceptional service from Axminster. After sales service is second to none.

Model Fixings sell nuts bolts, bearings etc. Superb service. I've always got my order next day.

Technobots. Cheap bearings. I've only ordered once, but the stuff arrived quickly.
Phil R is offline Find More Posts by Phil R
Old May 15, 2007, 02:49 PM
HeliAP'er!
Surrey, UK
Joined Aug 2003
8,221 Posts
Stunning work Phil

On average how long did each grip take you to make?

David
Hogster is offline Find More Posts by Hogster
Old May 15, 2007, 06:15 PM
Just some bloke
Up north, UK
Joined Mar 2005
436 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogster
Stunning work Phil

On average how long did each grip take you to make?
Not really counted, but I'd say about 5 hours each - that's not including the two I stuffed up...
Old May 15, 2007, 06:30 PM
Rank Amateur
Maumee, Ohio
Joined Sep 2005
773 Posts
Very nice work!
Old May 16, 2007, 01:38 PM
Just some bloke
Up north, UK
Joined Mar 2005
436 Posts
Today's efforts...

The flybar control frame was fun to make - just glad I don't have to make another...
Old May 16, 2007, 02:01 PM
Troms, Norway
Joined Jan 2004
7,098 Posts
Sweet!
Lynxman is offline Find More Posts by Lynxman
Old May 16, 2007, 02:56 PM
HeliAP'er!
Surrey, UK
Joined Aug 2003
8,221 Posts
Incredible!!!

David
Hogster is offline Find More Posts by Hogster
Old May 16, 2007, 03:17 PM
Rank Amateur
Maumee, Ohio
Joined Sep 2005
773 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil R
...just glad I don't have to make another...
Then you're obviously a better pilot than me

Very nice work.
Old May 17, 2007, 01:22 AM
Joined Jul 2002
527 Posts
Im drooling all over my keyboard!

This is just awesome
EP heli freak! is offline Find More Posts by EP heli freak!
Old May 17, 2007, 04:09 AM
Just some bloke
Up north, UK
Joined Mar 2005
436 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadmonkey
Then you're obviously a better pilot than me
Hmmm, forgot about the inevitable... maybe I ought to start making spares as soon as the heli is finished.