HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 08, 2007, 09:05 PM
Rank Amateur
Maumee, Ohio
Joined Sep 2005
773 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Bronk
What size you looking for? I have a 6 inch that I don't need anymore. New, but has a little surface rust (fire hoses get water everwhere )

FB
LOL - Fred - so glad that you can look back and make light of such a devastating event.

I've been slowly amassing tooling for my planned mill purchase - I've about got all the tooling and measuring tools I envision needing for the designs floating around in my skull. eBay can be a real treasure trove if you're patient and have a good eye - but you can easily get burned too.

Good luck Phil - I will be watching with great excitement. Is your setup CNC or manual?
cadmonkey is offline Find More Posts by cadmonkey
to remove ads between posts
Old May 09, 2007, 03:55 AM
Just some bloke
Up north, UK
Joined Mar 2005
436 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadmonkey
Good luck Phil - I will be watching with great excitement. Is your setup CNC or manual?
Manual... Basically it's the smallest mill I could find - the SIEG X1 Micro mill. It's still heavy enough that I can only just move it without help and it's rather bigger than it looked in the catalogue.
Phil R is offline Find More Posts by Phil R
Old May 09, 2007, 04:30 AM
Renewed interest
Melbourne , Australia
Joined Jun 2002
8,950 Posts
I have the X2 mill, they are much heavier than i expected.

Thanks Fred but 4 inch is about all i can fit , i am just looking at clamping options etc before i buy.

Come on Phil, i want to see more progress.
ozace is offline Find More Posts by ozace
Old May 09, 2007, 12:24 PM
Just some bloke
Up north, UK
Joined Mar 2005
436 Posts
Head finished bar the slot that'll allow me to nip the head to the shaft (slitting saw arbour ordered) and the head damper recesses. I'm still deciding on the head dampers... the Eco 8 has a pair of O rings. I'll have to find some suitable ones that'll fit the enlarged (5mm) feathering shaft that I'm fitting.

I've taken a substantial amount of material off since the last pic...

Next up... the collective pitch compensator centre hub...

Lesson learned today -

Milling machines rob time from you... Sit down at the machine and start work... next thing you know it's 2 hours later.
Last edited by Phil R; May 09, 2007 at 12:31 PM.
Old May 09, 2007, 03:26 PM
Cape Town, South Africa
Joined Jan 2005
5,157 Posts
Phil, from making beautiful planes, to beautiful helis? Looking forward to seeing your progress. Good going!
aragon is offline Find More Posts by aragon
Old May 09, 2007, 08:15 PM
Rank Amateur
Maumee, Ohio
Joined Sep 2005
773 Posts
Looking nice - I'm planning for an X3 myself.
cadmonkey is offline Find More Posts by cadmonkey
Old May 10, 2007, 01:17 PM
Just some bloke
Up north, UK
Joined Mar 2005
436 Posts
Made the collective pitch compensator centre hub today...

A bit of lathe work today as well as milling. The collective pitch compensator centre hub slides nicely on the main shaft thanks to a brass bush. The anti rotation pins are 3mm silver steel, turned down where they fit into the head - a slight interference fit - will be glued in later.

I could of done with an edge finder or wiggler set today, but am finding it difficult to source metric one without spending silly money... I resorted to using the milling cutter and a cigarette paper to find the edge of the work - a bit rough, I know, but the method seems to work well.

The next job is to finalise my list of bearings for the heli so that I can get them ordered.
Old May 10, 2007, 05:01 PM
Renewed interest
Melbourne , Australia
Joined Jun 2002
8,950 Posts
Keep up the great work
Old May 11, 2007, 04:35 AM
HeliAP'er!
Surrey, UK
Joined Aug 2003
8,224 Posts
Wow this *will* be exciting

Phil helped me build my first AP Plane and I've always been in awe of his work .....

Keep up the great work Phil

David
Hogster is offline Find More Posts by Hogster
Old May 13, 2007, 01:29 PM
Just some bloke
Up north, UK
Joined Mar 2005
436 Posts
After a bad day yesterday when I balls'd up two blade clamps - due to a lack of patience on my part, I've had a productive day today...

I've started on the flybar control frame. As you can see from the trerrible photo, I've carved it from a single piece of ally. The next job on it is to drill holes for bearings, then use a slitting saw to separate the frame from the block, before machining the other side.

Bearings and more aluminium alloy is ordered...
Old May 13, 2007, 03:05 PM
Cape Town, South Africa
Joined Jan 2005
5,157 Posts
Hope we get to see your workshop at the end of this.
aragon is offline Find More Posts by aragon
Old May 13, 2007, 06:23 PM
HeliAP'er!
Surrey, UK
Joined Aug 2003
8,224 Posts
Is your mill CNC controlled Phil?

David
Hogster is offline Find More Posts by Hogster
Old May 14, 2007, 05:49 AM
Just some bloke
Up north, UK
Joined Mar 2005
436 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragon
Hope we get to see your workshop at the end of this.
Hmmm, I'm not actually working in my workshop for the heli... I bought the mill with no thought as to where I'd put it. Try as I might, I couldn't find space for it in the workshop, so it's in the kitchen - Swarf is a devil to get out of the carpet, and now it's migrating into the lounge and up the stairs...

Hogster - no it's not a CNC mil. The flybar control frame took me *all* of yesterday to make... just keep turning the handles...

Blade grip bearings have just plopped thro' the letterbox... time to start work.
Old May 14, 2007, 06:20 AM
Destroyer of G-10
United States, OR
Joined Jul 2004
10,085 Posts
x1 is fairly nice machine and easy to CNC as well. I actually think it is better to cnc than x2 due to lead screw design on the z axis. you can also get larger table option if you need it. all good stuff. doing this on small manual mill is very time consuming. wow.
askman is offline Find More Posts by askman
RCG Plus Member
Old May 14, 2007, 05:09 PM
Renewed interest
Melbourne , Australia
Joined Jun 2002
8,950 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by askman
x1 is fairly nice machine and easy to CNC as well. I actually think it is better to cnc than x2 due to lead screw design on the z axis. you can also get larger table option if you need it. all good stuff. doing this on small manual mill is very time consuming. wow.

I am sure that made sense to someone
I have never come across anything as complex and technical as this machining and tooling stuff, its a whole new world to me.