HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 17, 2007, 06:58 PM
Just some bloke
Up north, UK
Joined Mar 2005
436 Posts
I've decided to stick with 3s for the moment - money is tight and I can't afford a new charger. I've gone for CSRC 8c 2000mAh packs. At 13 quid a pack they're very affordable... 3 in parallel will make a 6000mAh 3s pack that weighs 1lb. Good for 48amps continuous - not that the heli will need it. The packs will also fit in many of my other electric models - including the one I've got in my head that I haven't started yet.
Phil R is offline Find More Posts by Phil R
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 17, 2007, 07:03 PM
Just some bloke
Up north, UK
Joined Mar 2005
436 Posts
A couple of pics.

Has gained a tail fin since...

The canopy is made from ABS - vac formed. Made over a wood mould, it was a refreshing change to make wood shavings instead of metal swarf. The design won't be to everyone's tast - I'm still not sure about it myself yet. It has to be a bit bulbous to clear the battery packs as you will see when I post pics of them fitted.

Unfortunately, the ABS is a fetching shade of hospital beige - I could of gone with high impact polystyrene (white), but HIPS is anything but high impact and I didn't consider it durable enough.
Last edited by Phil R; Jul 17, 2007 at 07:14 PM.
Old Jul 18, 2007, 03:56 AM
mad heli scientist
United States, OK, Oklahoma City
Joined Dec 2005
4,034 Posts
Those skids are CRAZY long! I recommend a slight upward curve to them at the front- would help keep them from catching on anything and I think they look better that way.

Still, an impressive bit of home-machined kit.
Gadget01 is offline Find More Posts by Gadget01
Old Jul 18, 2007, 05:14 AM
HeliAP'er!
Surrey, UK
Joined Aug 2003
8,191 Posts
Absolutely stunning work Phil ...... I think with a paint scheme that canopy could look good ...

Will you be putting foam sausages on the skids? As they are something doesn't look right ... mainly the length as Gadget mentioned.

Nevertheless an incredible achievement!! Well done!

David
Hogster is offline Find More Posts by Hogster
Old Jul 18, 2007, 05:32 AM
Just some bloke
Up north, UK
Joined Mar 2005
436 Posts
The skids aren't finished yet...
Old Jul 18, 2007, 09:46 AM
Cape Town, South Africa
Joined Jan 2005
5,157 Posts
Looks... interesting. Reminds me of an insect.

How's the weight looking?
aragon is offline Find More Posts by aragon
Old Jul 18, 2007, 05:50 PM
I'm here because I'm not all there.
Joined May 2007
136 Posts
Nice job Phil!
My 2 pence for the skids...this would look really sharp with that canopy if you managed to make those skids retract!
Of course my other off the wall ideas were that you could put a corkscrew on the bottom of the main shaft and hover in on a bottle of your wine...
As it is a work in progress I can't wait to see what your thinking of for the skids!
Axesea is offline Find More Posts by Axesea
Old Jul 21, 2007, 01:10 PM
Just some bloke
Up north, UK
Joined Mar 2005
436 Posts
YeeeeeeHaaaaaa!!!!!!!!
Old Jul 21, 2007, 02:35 PM
Cape Town, South Africa
Joined Jan 2005
5,157 Posts
Pics!!!!!
Old Jul 21, 2007, 04:42 PM
Flying better than every
United States, NJ, Mt Holly
Joined May 2007
569 Posts
pics
Ginvent is offline Find More Posts by Ginvent
Old Jul 21, 2007, 06:00 PM
PRO BRO #157
Sterling hts, Michigan
Joined Jun 2003
2,084 Posts
Hahaha, that thing is tripy looking. Kinda like a little bug. LOL.

Awsome job man !!

DK
daking is offline Find More Posts by daking
Old Jul 21, 2007, 07:12 PM
Just some bloke
Up north, UK
Joined Mar 2005
436 Posts
Well...

It's flown.

Spent the first part of the day fitting the gyro - an Esky heading hold unit (don't laugh) that's been flight proven on my BeltCP over the last couple of weeks, setting up the tail, installing the receiver, setting the pitch curves, balancing etc... My lipos haven't cleared customs yet, so I borrowed a couple of Hextronic 2200mAh 3s packs from my brother for the test flights.

A short stint in the garden to track the blades (no lift off) and to make sure the thing didn't shake itself to bits...

Down the road where there's a bit more space and a couple of hovers, then home to recharge the batteries.

Idle up mode programmed and a few tweaks on the throttle curve, then down the field for the proper flight test...

Brother on the camera, staying well out of the way - he knows when not to interupt and break my concentration...

Into the air, a quick hover and into forward flight - a bit of a non event. Very direct on the controls and a bit quick for my liking on the rudder. I'm also a bit new to the heading hold gyro - over controlling on the turns. I felt quite comfortable with the heli though.

In terms of vibration, there seems little to speak of... those long u/carriage legs would give a pretty good indication of anything serious.

About 5 minutes into the flight I went high - in retrospect, too high - and lost orientation. The heli slid backwards into an inverted loop - downwards. Even examining the video hasn't shed much light on what exactly happened and what the heli actually did... but my instinct told me to keep the pitch on and bend the elevator stick back as far as it would go. The heli pulled out 15' from the ground and I regained my composure.

In my defence, the light was really bad - 8.30pm, overcast, spitting with rain.

The heli really does play tricks in the air - it looks like a jumble of Mechano from some angles - I must do something to aid orientation 'til I get my eyesight trained.

A few full pitch, full throttle climbs - the heli isn't a rocket ship, but then again I'm being quite conservative at first with the pitch and head speed.

After about 8 minutes I thought it best to end the flight to empty my pants...

Came home feeling like a dog with two doodahs...
Last edited by Phil R; Jul 21, 2007 at 07:17 PM.
Old Jul 21, 2007, 07:34 PM
Cape Town, South Africa
Joined Jan 2005
5,157 Posts
Congrats man! Well done on the recovery too. Would love to see a vid sometime.

So what's next? Camera mount?
Old Jul 22, 2007, 12:03 AM
Suspended Account
Roosevelt UT
Joined Oct 2004
1,982 Posts
although i realize this heli is for AP...those skids are a little chicken legish(kinda like me!) but the canopy has to go!! HAS to. hehe great to hear about the flight, and the save. Now all you need is a pilot to 3d this bird (hint hint)
Eeeeky is offline Find More Posts by Eeeeky
Old Jul 22, 2007, 06:35 AM
Florida
Joined Nov 2004
6,614 Posts
Phil, this kind of rig looks pretty good.
Greybird is offline Find More Posts by Greybird