SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 06, 2007, 07:22 PM
Palo Alto, CA, USA
Joined Nov 2000
1,019 Posts
Discussion
Multiplex Royal EVO w/ Spektrum Module

I have been flying exclusively with the DX7 since they came out using both DSM and DSM2 modes. We are fortunate to fly with Paul Beard, designer of the Spektrum system. My previous radio was a Multiplex EVO 12 which I really liked and hoped to someday convert to Spektrum. Paul modified a Spektrum module for me for the EVO. I used this radio for several flights today and yesterday and it works as well as I had hoped. It is not as fast as DX7 but the coombination of mixing functions and other utilities make it a nice companion to the DX7. I will be using the EVO for the open class sailplanes. I believe the module will also fit the Profi 4000 but we will test this later. I will add more details later but for now here are some pictures...
kasra is online now Find More Posts by kasra
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old May 06, 2007, 07:34 PM
Cape Town, South Africa
Joined Jan 2005
5,157 Posts
WOW! Does this mean we have an official Spektrum Evo module to look forward to soon? I guess, needless to say, it will mean owners have to modify their back covers?

Why is the latency slower than a DX7 btw?
aragon is offline Find More Posts by aragon
Old May 06, 2007, 09:01 PM
AMA # L576
United States, OR, North Bend
Joined Sep 2006
2,227 Posts
That looks better than using the trainer port to interface with it. I hope this means there will be a module available for the Evo's.
vhoward1122 is offline Find More Posts by vhoward1122
Old May 06, 2007, 09:04 PM
My other TX is a P4000.
USA, VA, Raphine
Joined Sep 2002
2,254 Posts
Wonderful post, Kasra. Thank you for sharing your EVO mod. It looks very promising.

-joedy
Joedy is offline Find More Posts by Joedy
Old May 06, 2007, 10:10 PM
Where is the lift?
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Nov 2005
6,513 Posts
Just after the Spectrum modules were announced I PM'd Paul asking about the possibility of modifying one of the JR or Universal modules to work with my Evo-12. I never received a reply until now.

If this worked with both the DSM and DSM2 I would buy it today. The AR6100 has had too much negative publicity so I am still using 5 AR6000's with my DX-7 and have had no troubles at all. My Evo-12 sits and waits patiently.
cptsnoopy is online now Find More Posts by cptsnoopy
Old May 07, 2007, 08:15 AM
MaxiR, Sniper
Lansdale, PA, USA
Joined Dec 2004
1,151 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptsnoopy
If this worked with both the DSM and DSM2 I would buy it today.
Last I heard, the Spectrum TX module only uses DSM2.
Cobra is offline Find More Posts by Cobra
Old May 07, 2007, 08:39 AM
slow but inefficient
Riverhead NY USA
Joined Dec 2000
3,097 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra
Last I heard, the Spectrum TX module only uses DSM2.
Is that true? That would make quite a few AR6000s obsolete as far as my EVO is concerned. If so, I'd look elsewhere, like to XPS and sell all those "old" Rxs. My Dx7 is problematic as I have to rebind quite often with the AR6000s.
Ron Williams is offline Find More Posts by Ron Williams
Old May 07, 2007, 02:16 PM
MaxiR, Sniper
Lansdale, PA, USA
Joined Dec 2004
1,151 Posts
You'll notice in the last paragraph of: http://www.horizonhobby.com/Articles...ArticleID=1655
the mention of DSM2, AR7000 and AR9000 RXs. In another thread I was reading, it seems they do not support DSM on the plug in modules.
Cobra is offline Find More Posts by Cobra
Old May 07, 2007, 03:24 PM
Where is the lift?
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Nov 2005
6,513 Posts
I guess I should have added that information in my post. I was aware from day-one when they anounced the modules that DSM1 was not supported. I still PM'd Paul to see if I could convert one of the modules to work with the evo. I had pictured takeing the module apart and puting the guts in the evo in the area that the evo modules plug in. Then mounting the antenna on the top. I received no reply and I figured at the time that he was not interested in saying anything about the possibililty of an evo conversion. When this thread started I became aware that they have been playing with the idea for a little while at least. Since it is only usable with DSM2 and I won't be getting any AR6100's (news of the problems with AR6100's where just starting to become public) I have decided to wait and see what the other options for the evo will be in the next year or so. That is why the evo sits and waits patiently
cptsnoopy is online now Find More Posts by cptsnoopy
Old May 07, 2007, 10:47 PM
fff> Fly Foam for Fun
Roanoke VA
Joined Sep 2003
372 Posts
Very interested in this! I put up with some glitching because I love my Evo 12. The case mod does not bother me. Looks neat. I would buy one right now if I could.
nofuelheli is offline Find More Posts by nofuelheli
Old May 09, 2007, 04:48 PM
Baarlo/Netherlands
Joined Sep 2006
7 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nofuelheli
Looks neat. I would buy one right now if I could.
Me to, for the MC4000
Arnout Janssen is offline Find More Posts by Arnout Janssen
Old May 09, 2007, 05:11 PM
BANNED!!!
Laurel, MD
Joined May 2001
12,688 Posts
I am going to stick with my dx7 for the time being. If they come out with a REAL option for the EVO9/12 then I am all over it. But I am going to wait for multiplex to do it...

Jay
soholingo is offline Find More Posts by soholingo
Old May 17, 2007, 03:13 PM
Crash frequency declining
Copenhagen, Denmark
Joined Jul 2003
243 Posts
This looks very intresting or more like a dream come true.
Could you explain a bit more on the technical details of how the spectrum module connects to the EVO and perhaps a few pictures.

Im dying for 2.4 ghz but love the mixers in my EVO.

/Kasper
KasperE is offline Find More Posts by KasperE
Old May 18, 2007, 03:32 AM
Palo Alto, CA, USA
Joined Nov 2000
1,019 Posts
You can see the extension form the module to an EVO style connector. The module is the Futaba 8 channel version but in the EVO can control up to 9 channels. Paul did make some modifications to this module. He said something about an internal resistance change.

Also, there is really no reason to hack the case for this mod. I think the module can easily be taken out of the case and go in the standard RF module location on the EVO. The antenna can go out through the top using an extension. I was in a hurry to get flying so I decided to go with the external antenna. I have used the radio again in my warmliner and well I love the timers and mixers of the EVO still.

Kasra
kasra is online now Find More Posts by kasra
RCG Plus Member
Old May 18, 2007, 01:32 PM
BANNED!!!
Laurel, MD
Joined May 2001
12,688 Posts
Kasra,

How is the latency relative to your dx7? Can you tell a difference?

Jay
soholingo is offline Find More Posts by soholingo