HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 24, 2002, 10:30 AM
United States, CT, Waterbury
Joined Oct 2002
1,867 Posts
While building my GWS Zero last night, I made a mistake.. Suggestions?

I want this plane to be able to ROG takeoff.. So, I am equipping it with a rudder... Anyways, when glueing the two fuselage halfs together last night, RIGHT as the epoxy was setting, I realized that I forgot to put in the tail wheel wire!!!!

DARN!

Any suggestions on how to make it still able to steer on the ground? I was so pee'd off when I realized what I did.

Thanks for any and all help!
Jeff
TurboRacer is offline Find More Posts by TurboRacer
Last edited by Fred Bronk; Oct 24, 2002 at 01:39 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 24, 2002, 10:59 AM
Been There! Done That!
Eugene, Oregon, United States
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
Re: While building my GWS Zero last night, I made a mistake.. Suggestions?

Quote:
Originally posted by TurboRacer
I want this plane to be able to ROG takeoff.. So, I am equipping it with a rudder... Anyways, when glueing the two fuselage halfs together last night, RIGHT as the epoxy was setting, I realized that I forgot to put in the tail wheel wire!!!!

DAMN!

Any suggestions on how to make it still able to steer on the ground? I was so pee'd off when I realized what I did.

Thanks for any and all help!
Jeff
It won't look quite as good but you can fasten it on one side or the other of the fuse (just cut a little grove) and bend the wire to attach to the rudder with a little epoxy or you can just cut away one side or the back and put the assenbly where it belongs and fill back in with some scrap foam CAed in place with Foam safe CA.
If you slice away the side with a sharp new razor blade you should be able to glue back in the cut out piece and you will hardly be able to see the cut.
boomer
boomerace is offline Find More Posts by boomerace
Old Oct 24, 2002, 11:20 AM
Joined Oct 2002
1,867 Posts
Thanks for the tips boomerace.

Also, I'm completely new at electrics. Do I have to charge the batteries a certain way for the first time? Do I have to run the motor a certain way for the first time?

I have 8 cell 800mah NiMH batteries, and the 370 motor that comes with the Zero.

Thanks again for any help.
Old Oct 24, 2002, 11:30 AM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
21,006 Posts
You can't go wrong charging the batteries at 80 milliamps (0.08A) for 16 hrs the first time. This will insure all cells are at the same charge level.

hoppy
hoppy is offline Find More Posts by hoppy
Old Oct 24, 2002, 11:32 AM
Been There! Done That!
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for the tips boomerace.

Also, I'm completely new at electrics. Do I have to charge the batteries a certain way for the first time? Do I have to run the motor a certain way for the first time?

I have 8 cell 800mah NiMH batteries, and the 370 motor that comes with the Zero.

Thanks again for any help.
NiMH packs like to be charged at C/10 for at least the first charge to condition them. In the case of the 800ma pack you are using that would be 80ma for 16 hours. If your charger won't go that low in a pinch you could use your Transmitter charger by making an adapter and charge the pack about 20 hours or until it just starts to get warm. After that just follow your charger's recommendations. Motor needs no breakin. Just go fly and have fun. Do read the threads on the proper CG Just do a search! i hope you have flown other planes before and this isn't your first as this is no plane to learn to fly with!!!!
boomer
Old Oct 24, 2002, 12:02 PM
Joined Oct 2002
1,867 Posts
Great tips, I appreciate them.. Yep, I know about the CG, and I will take care of that, and no, this isn't my first plane. It is my first electric plane though!

I fly nitro planes and helis, planes for the past 10 years or so, helis for about a year..

Also, one more question.. The charger I bought is the GWS MC2002 I think it's called. It's 12v only... How do I charge that for 16 hours??!

Thanks again!
Jeff

www.cousinlarry.com
Last edited by TurboRacer; Oct 24, 2002 at 12:31 PM.
Old Oct 24, 2002, 01:19 PM
Been There! Done That!
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
Quote:
Great tips, I appreciate them.. Yep, I know about the CG, and I will take care of that, and no, this isn't my first plane. It is my first electric plane though!

I fly nitro planes and helis, planes for the past 10 years or so, helis for about a year..

Also, one more question.. The charger I bought is the GWS MC2002 I think it's called. It's 12v only... How do I charge that for 16 hours??!

Thanks again!
Jeff

www.cousinlarry.com
I would just use the TX charger that came with your Radio as it's probably 50ma. Just make up an adapter being sure polarity is correct.
boomer
Old Oct 24, 2002, 01:42 PM
Our Daddy and Heli Junkie
In Heli Wonderland
Joined Aug 1999
22,801 Posts
Yep, the TX charger will do fine for your flight pack.

As for the tailwheel wire, did you put in the guide? If you did all you have to do is run a new wire and bend it for the wheel or the rudder after it is in. If the rudder is in, just cut a piece out of it or cut it loose and rehinge.
Fred Bronk is offline Find More Posts by Fred Bronk
Old Oct 24, 2002, 01:43 PM
Joined Oct 2002
1,867 Posts
Hmm.. Ok.. I'll see what I can do. Thanks!