HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 23, 2002, 11:09 PM
BEC
Auburn, Washington USA
Joined Jan 2001
12,940 Posts
Tiny-X - what you've heard is true!

I'm sitting at the nerve center of the DeadPossumWorks - AKA the the computer in the workshop of Todd's Models. Just before dark I saw with my own eyes the performance of a slightly overweight and nose heavy (according to Todd) prototype Tiny-X (the blue and yellow one you've seen in the pictures). I have never seen anything do what this can do on the power of the inexpensive GWS IPS-A system! Insides, outsides, easy inverted flight, rolls, and all manner of combinations of same, all in tight tree-lined space. I can see now that cul-de-sac aerobatics are in my future .

Martin, oh Martin - Roger said "think of it as a Switchback for your back yard", right? Well - that's it exactly!

Now I gotta go home and quit interrupting Todd's work on the plans and other kit preparations, so he can start getting them out.
BEC is offline Find More Posts by BEC
Last edited by BEC; Oct 23, 2002 at 11:13 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 23, 2002, 11:33 PM
Live to ride... and fly!
Forney, TX
Joined Mar 2002
15,165 Posts
Stop it! Stop it already, don't you know I have to wait until November 2003???? Oh the humanity!

==Roger said "think of it as a Switchback for your back yard", right? ==

That was me, I was inspired to say it by my own Tiny which does all manner of insane stuff right in my own backyard Granted my Switchback 3-D is much more stable and smooth, but I have to take it to a large field to fly it.

Come on Todd, fire up that laser cutter!
Tres Wright is offline Find More Posts by Tres Wright
Old Oct 23, 2002, 11:40 PM
Crash Master
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Sep 2001
16,632 Posts
I figure I can crash and fix mine 10-12 times by Nov '03...
Gene Bond is offline Find More Posts by Gene Bond
Old Oct 23, 2002, 11:45 PM
Leave me alone!
Kamloops, BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2002
15,106 Posts
Re: Tiny-X - what you've heard is true!

Quote:
Originally posted by BEC
- edit: Tres said "think of it as a Switchback for your back yard", right? Well - that's it exactly!
I can hear Christine now through the bullhorn:

PUT THE CREDIT CARD DOWN AND STEP AWAY FROM THE COMPUTER!

I wonder how that would take to a new fourleaf IPS brushless? Jim, oh Jim?

Martin
Martin Hunter is offline Find More Posts by Martin Hunter
Old Oct 24, 2002, 12:19 AM
Des Moines Municipal, Iowa, United States
Joined May 2002
401 Posts
Martin, I am slow...but still at it. Congrats on the Hacker, it sounds great!

Cant wait for the Tiny-X, I think that thing will be a blast.
fourleaf is offline Find More Posts by fourleaf
Old Oct 24, 2002, 12:37 AM
BEC
Auburn, Washington USA
Joined Jan 2001
12,940 Posts
Home now.....

====That was me, I was inspired to say it by my own Tiny which does all manner of insane stuff right in my own backyard. ===

Ooooops Tres, sorry.

It is like a Switchback for the back yard (except for the rudder).

Oh - and Todd took that little note about 2003 off his site - perhaps you've gotten a bit of a reprieve.

By the way, it's not the laser cutter that needs to be fired up. It's the finishing of the production plans and instructions mainly. As for the airplane itself - there are all sorts of little clever touches - such as the way the servos mount to provide clearance between the linkages with one above the mounting rails and one below. There are more......
Old Oct 24, 2002, 02:37 PM
Our Daddy and Heli Junkie
In Heli Wonderland
Joined Aug 1999
22,803 Posts
BEC, it is just not fair with you and Todd living so close and doing all this cool stuff and testing. Then you have to come along and tease us like this!!!!!!

My CC hurts already !!!!!!!!!!
Fred Bronk is offline Find More Posts by Fred Bronk
Old Oct 24, 2002, 03:48 PM
BEC
Auburn, Washington USA
Joined Jan 2001
12,940 Posts
------BEC, it is just not fair with you and Todd living so close and doing all this cool stuff and testing. Then you have to come along and tease us like this!!!!!!-------

You know, before last night I'd never been to Todd's place and he's been giving me some grief for some time for the fact that I've been to Doug's place (Mountain Models in Colorado Springs) twice in the last year and never visited HIM. Explanations about being in Denver for the 95th birthday (March) and subsequent (sadly) memorial service (July) for my Grandfather just didn't seem to faze him in that regard.

But now I know where Todd is (and that going up after work is not a good idea from a traffic standpoint) so I'm likely to be back.

Seeing the plane fly, along with the tour through the spacious engineering area, factory and warehouse facility () was worth the trip.
Old Oct 24, 2002, 03:51 PM
Victoria, BC
Joined Jul 2002
138 Posts
The new Tiny-X really is that good

Hey Bernard,
told you that it was a winner, didn't I?

Tres,
the instructions are in the final proof stage!

For everyone's benefit, BEC calling Todd's secret production and test facility the "Dead Possum Works" refers to the recent demise of a certain creature under an adjacent building! This is no way has slowed Todd down in his relentless efforts to bring to production his most awesome kit yet! And his other kits are good too!

Roger T.
(the most wicked proof reader in the West)
Rog-E is offline Find More Posts by Rog-E
Last edited by Rog-E; Oct 24, 2002 at 03:56 PM.
Old Oct 25, 2002, 12:51 AM
United States, CA, Clovis
Joined Apr 2002
3,878 Posts
I Know Where Todd Is

You guys are awful!

Didn't you get the spy camera orientation video? There is no chance for most of us to ever get to see, let along go into the "Dead Possum Works" and see what is there.

Let's not hear of another tour without someone getting some pics posted showing what's going on in there!

And then there is the flying! Nothing to show? You simply have to get back there and get us those pictures!

Even Fred is unhappy! "Then you have to come along and tease us like this!!!!!!

My CC hurts already !!!!!!!!!!"

Next Time!!!

Roger

(If I can get a flight up there can I go too???)
Rogerdoger is offline Find More Posts by Rogerdoger
Old Oct 25, 2002, 01:06 AM
BEC
Auburn, Washington USA
Joined Jan 2001
12,940 Posts
I actually did consider taking a camera but then forgot it on the way out the door to go to work.

As for in-flights - it was borderline too dark to fly by the time I made it out there. Even if I'd had the camera the pics wouldn't have been all that great.

But as I say, now I know where it is - and it's only just under 30 miles from home straight line distance (or so says my Garmin eTrex GPS).
Old Oct 25, 2002, 01:10 AM
www.toddsmodels.com
North Bend, WA.
Joined Apr 2000
1,832 Posts
Here is the "OFFICIAL" tour of Todd's Models.

http://www.toddsmodels.com/about.htm

Todd
www.toddsmodels.com
Todd Long is offline Find More Posts by Todd Long
Old Oct 25, 2002, 01:18 AM
www.toddsmodels.com
North Bend, WA.
Joined Apr 2000
1,832 Posts
About Todd's Models

This is our Test Facility. It is an unknown place somewhere in Nevada where we can conduct our flight programs in secret.

Inside you can see our "STATE OF THE ART" manufacturing and assembly facility.

Here is our "CHIEF TEST PILOT", Krashem Goodly.

Here you can see one of our engineers doing some tests. We computer model each plane and fly it in cyberspace before we even build the first prototype. This ensures our customers with a quality product.

Our new modern cool-looking Network Control Center, runs itself. See, nobody home.

Our customers are always within 2 hours of help, since we use the latest in high-speed transportation to get to remote sites. Time is also reduced by our new in-flight refueling KC-135.

Here are two more engineers working on... well it's secret, But do notice the latest in our high quality transmitter..!!!!!! (and they thought Kraft was just cheese)

Todd
www.toddsmodels.com
Todd Long is offline Find More Posts by Todd Long
Old Oct 25, 2002, 01:20 AM
United States, CA, Clovis
Joined Apr 2002
3,878 Posts
"OFFICIAL Tour"

Todd,

That is more like it.

(Kraft was cheese colored!)

Loved the "Official Tour!"

Roger
Rogerdoger is offline Find More Posts by Rogerdoger
Old Oct 25, 2002, 01:24 AM
BEC
Auburn, Washington USA
Joined Jan 2001
12,940 Posts
Ah yes, the "official" tour. Let's just say that the nerve center of the operation is NOT immediately adjacent to that wide-open test flight facility..........