HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 05, 2007, 01:49 PM
Rio Rancho NM
Joined Dec 2004
1,254 Posts
Discussion
Peter Rake IPS Nieuport N11

I hope nobody minds if I start a clean thread on this build. I had started one awhile back but it got pretty cluttered with other stuff. I thought this might be more useful if it ever gets linked to Peter's site. I'll keep on track .... promise. Here's the scheme I'm doing:

http://www.airventure.de/tips_paris/nieuport11.jpg

Here's where I left off a few months ago. I had finished the tail feathers. Only change was to do pull pull which may be interesting considering the upper cable routes thru the from of the stab. You can see the angled strips they'll route thru.
bill
scrubs is offline Find More Posts by scrubs
to remove ads between posts
Old May 05, 2007, 01:51 PM
Rio Rancho NM
Joined Dec 2004
1,254 Posts
Wing really has that Nieuport look eh? No changes from Pete's plan here.
bill
Old May 05, 2007, 01:54 PM
Rio Rancho NM
Joined Dec 2004
1,254 Posts
Next up is the fuse. Here's the sides.
bill
Old May 05, 2007, 01:59 PM
Rio Rancho NM
Joined Dec 2004
1,254 Posts
Here's today's work, starting on the front box. Rather than make the sides on piece I ran a 3/32 strip on the front. I didn't trust myself with a crossgrained bit in front of the cabane notch. Anybody doing this as a laser cut kit wouldn't have a problem.
bill
Old May 05, 2007, 04:22 PM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,659 Posts
Bill,
Nice idea about the fresh thread. It's always good to be able to link to an uncluttered thread.
Photos look good too.

Pete
PETERRAKE is offline Find More Posts by PETERRAKE
Old May 06, 2007, 04:04 PM
Rio Rancho NM
Joined Dec 2004
1,254 Posts
A lazy weekend but still a bit of progress. The fuselage is coming along. I've been more of a FF stick & tissue modeler so cutting out the ply bits proved to be a lot of knife work. Wish I had a laser.
bill
Old May 07, 2007, 02:53 AM
Auckland, New Zealand
Joined Sep 2005
1,308 Posts
Petes IPS stuff always looks neat, whats the WS Bill?

Steve
floss is offline Find More Posts by floss
Old May 07, 2007, 06:05 AM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,659 Posts
Steve,
Just under 25" mate, so 1/12 scale near enough.

Pete
Old May 12, 2007, 04:23 PM
Rio Rancho NM
Joined Dec 2004
1,254 Posts
A little bit more progress. Here's the sheeted fuse with stringers added. I added a bit of scrap 1/16 sheet behind the front cabane cutouts. Not so much for strength as alignment since I intend to cover the top before the cabanes get added. Weight of the fuse, wing & tailfeathers & roughed out cowl is 34.5 gms.
bill
Old May 15, 2007, 09:17 PM
Rio Rancho NM
Joined Dec 2004
1,254 Posts
Cowl is glued up. You can see the bamboo peg on top and holes for the magnets on the sides. Have a bag of them around somewhere but where. Got lazy and ordered more from Easy Built.

Next up is bending the LG and doing the struts. Then a sanding marathon. Sure hope someone pops up with a comment or two, even a "geez that's ugly" would be something. Boring talking to yourself.
bill
Old May 16, 2007, 01:52 AM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,659 Posts
Bill,
Far from ugly mate, a nice looking job you're doing there.
I hate it when an entire model needs to be sanded so I usually sand individual assemblies as they are built. Just as messy, just not all in one hit. Mind you, it does mean I get moaned at more often for trekking dust everywhere.

I know we always talk of 'sanding', but I never use actual sandpaper. I find 'wet or dry' paper does a much nicer job. 80 or 120 grit for basic sanding, 240 grit for final wood sanding and 400 grit for finishing. What do others use?

What will you be using to cover the model Bill?

Pete
Old May 16, 2007, 03:13 AM
Light and floaty does it
Cambridge, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Sep 2004
2,859 Posts
I use a variety of Permagrit tools - wouldn't be without 'em - and usually have a bit of 400 W&D around for last touch on balsa. But for any harder wood, like bass or ply, I go down to 800. Once you have all the scratches out with the 400, it only takes a moment to hit it with the 800, and it makes quite a difference if you're tissue-covering or aapplying a thin kfilm like SoLite over an all-wood area.
Work in Progress is offline Find More Posts by Work in Progress
Old May 16, 2007, 04:12 AM
Manitowoc, Wisconsin
Joined Dec 2003
1,286 Posts
Wow Peter, someone else actually uses wet-n-dry paper!!!!!! I rough sand with 180 grit sandpaper then go to 320 grit sandpaper then I polish the surface with 600 grit W&D paper for covering prep. Sanding is the key to a good cover job.
Scrubs, nice looking model. I am awaiting my vinyl graphics for my SE5A along with figuring out the small details.
Greg Knipp is offline Find More Posts by Greg Knipp
Old May 16, 2007, 06:24 AM
Rio Rancho NM
Joined Dec 2004
1,254 Posts
Pete,
I guess I'm a bit of a procrastinator. I'm not fond of the sanding so I hold off on it till last before covering. I'll be using some LW tissue from Balsa Products for covering. I think it's the same think as Litespan.

Not sure how I'm going to do the roundels etc. I'll have to do some experimenting. I usually use painted white decal paper or tissue sprayed opaque. The dark edging is another one I'm debating how to do. Probably black litespan if it's available.

Greg,
Hasn't been much calm weather for flying around here eh?
bill
Old May 17, 2007, 02:39 PM
Rio Rancho NM
Joined Dec 2004
1,254 Posts
The scheme I plan on doing is mainly CDL with a dark trim on the edges. Looks like either black or brown and I've seen it described both ways. Brown would certainly blend better with the CDL. I plan on doing it as separate strips Balsa Loc'd or contact cemented on the edges. On a model this size 3/32 looks about right. Has anybody had any luck with dying Litespan? There's black available but no brown.

How about surface prep for spraying roundels etc on Litespan. Do you have to wipe it down with alchohol or ????
bill