Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Aug 11, 2010, 09:43 AM
I hate gravity!!
Tampa, Florida
Joined Jan 2010
135 Posts
What does everyone use as a filler for dents, dings and holes.

Troy
schrockie is offline Find More Posts by schrockie
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 11, 2010, 11:02 AM
North of Lake Pontchartrain
Joined Jan 2006
234 Posts
...most people don't really worry about it ... we just make a new one...

not really , that light white spackle works pretty good and sands good , just clean the area
with alcohol first (and remove skin in the case of blue foam , or pink )
Wes
wgoostrey is offline Find More Posts by wgoostrey
Old Aug 11, 2010, 11:25 AM
LaGrange, GA
Joined Jun 2009
1,813 Posts
I've used the Hobbico Hobbylite balsa filler and it works pretty well. It's light and sands well.... basically, it's what I had on hand. Once I run out of it I'll probably go with the light-weight spackle. :-)
JohnsPop is offline Find More Posts by JohnsPop
Old Aug 11, 2010, 01:33 PM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
16,806 Posts
I've used the light weight spackle to repair things like leading edge damage on wings, like when I had struck a branch or something and created and major avulsion or displacement of foam material.

If there is a drawback to using the spackle it is that it dries pretty slowly. I filled the damaged area with the spackle and used a spreader to smooth it to approximate shape. It had to set overnight and then I could sand it to blend it in. Then I covered the repaired area with colored package sealing tape to match the surrounds and it blended right in.

Jack
jackerbes is offline Find More Posts by jackerbes
Old Aug 11, 2010, 05:26 PM
Joined Dec 2006
1,184 Posts
About spackle

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackerbes View Post
I've used the light weight spackle to repair things like leading edge damage on wings, like when I had struck a branch or something and created and major avulsion or displacement of foam material.

If there is a drawback to using the spackle it is that it dries pretty slowly. I filled the damaged area with the spackle and used a spreader to smooth it to approximate shape. It had to set overnight and then I could sand it to blend it in. Then I covered the repaired area with colored package sealing tape to match the surrounds and it blended right in.

Jack
Jack... I can't be certain of this, but I heard or read somewhere that spackle has asbestos fibers in it. So, sanding it can put it in the air which can travel to your lungs. I can't swear this is so, but I thought that I'd put it out there for safety reasons, just in case.

– Dick

EDIT: I've checked it out and spackle does contain asbestos. Not good news.

http://www.asbestosnews.com/html/spackling-plaster.html
Dickeroo is online now Find More Posts by Dickeroo
Old Aug 11, 2010, 05:28 PM
Not always grumpy!!
UK, Eastleigh, Eastleigh
Joined Jul 2010
531 Posts
hey guys,
i have a question.

heres my problem,
my bb flies ok, but it is really sluggish, and i can only really keep it in the air with approx 75% throttle, anything less and it struggles to climb.

i am using: -
8x4.5 prop
850mah 15c 2s lipo
2829-10 brushless outrunner

bat i know is low, but its all i have atm

it is currently 52"
would it be better if i cut it down to 42"

also my horizontal stab is floppy, would reinforcing it with cf tube be a good idea?

i reinforce my vert stab with a coffee stirrer from mc donalds but i have ran out of them. i have loads of cf tube from kites,

cheers guys
insomaniac45 is offline Find More Posts by insomaniac45
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 11, 2010, 05:34 PM
Joined Mar 2010
12 Posts
pdf of blu_dragonfly

Let me know if you would like another format or even if these work.
My next trick I will try the adding ailerons to it.

I will monkey with the pdf tomorrow. I don't know how to get it in the multi sheet format.
I can shrink it to fit into 1 8.5x11 though.
shasmi is offline Find More Posts by shasmi
Last edited by shasmi; Aug 12, 2010 at 08:49 AM.
Old Aug 11, 2010, 05:37 PM
Not always grumpy!!
UK, Eastleigh, Eastleigh
Joined Jul 2010
531 Posts
shasmi,
it is only 1 page
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 11, 2010, 05:40 PM
Went to mow a meadow
Joined Feb 2007
1,432 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by insomaniac45 View Post
hey guys,
i have a question.

heres my problem,
my bb flies ok, but it is really sluggish, and i can only really keep it in the air with approx 75% throttle, anything less and it struggles to climb.

8x4.5 prop
850mah 15c 2s lipo

it is currently 52"

also my horizontal stab is floppy, would reinforcing it with cf tube be a good idea?

i reinforce my vert stab with a coffee stirrer from mc donalds but i have ran out of them. i have loads of cf tube from kites,

cheers guys
Use a 3 cell battery, you only have about 60 -70 watts on 2 cells. I'm surprised you get off the deck

Cheers
Frank
frank48 is offline Find More Posts by frank48
Old Aug 11, 2010, 05:55 PM
Not always grumpy!!
UK, Eastleigh, Eastleigh
Joined Jul 2010
531 Posts
frank, i cant get one atm, it is my next purhase,

it is the missus birthday next week so i have to buy her a present, (i dont think i would be forgiven buying myslef some new batteries over her present lol )

but will the trim work? as if going by my logic,
shorter wing span = less drag/lower auw = more thrust per oz = longer flight time
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 11, 2010, 06:09 PM
LaGrange, GA
Joined Jun 2009
1,813 Posts
Dickeroo, check out the other part of that article:

"The spackling compounds and spackle plaster used in the 1940s through 1970s may well have contained high levels of asbestos. Sometimes the asbestos in spackling materials was added intentionally for its heat resistance properties or just to match drywall that had asbestos."

You know with all the regulations and what-not regarding asbestos, no one *currently* sells spackling with asbestos in it. If you've got a 40 year old can of spackling compound sitting around, I'd highly recommend you throw it out and buy a new can.
JohnsPop is offline Find More Posts by JohnsPop
Old Aug 11, 2010, 07:17 PM
I hate gravity!!
Tampa, Florida
Joined Jan 2010
135 Posts
Quote:
hey guys,
i have a question.

heres my problem,

8x4.5 prop
850mah 15c 2s lipo

it is currently 52"

cheers guys
Frank is right about the battery, I wouldn't even use a 3s 850mah wouldn't get much flight time. I used 1250 to 1600 3s in my 42". I you have more foam build another wing, I'd hate to see you cut that 52" down without very much improvement.

For the h-stab: use anything small and stiff you have: CF, popsickle sticks, bamboo skewers, even an empty ink pen tube (not the outer tube housing).

Troy
schrockie is offline Find More Posts by schrockie
Old Aug 11, 2010, 08:11 PM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
16,806 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dickeroo View Post
Jack... I can't be certain of this, but I heard or read somewhere that spackle has asbestos fibers in it. So, sanding it can put it in the air which can travel to your lungs. I can't swear this is so, but I thought that I'd put it out there for safety reasons, just in case.

Dick

EDIT: I've checked it out and spackle does contain asbestos. Not good news.

http://www.asbestosnews.com/html/spackling-plaster.html
Thanks for the warning on that, Dick. I'll look at the container on that and probably quit using it if it does have asbestos.

It is pretty light and dusty stuff to sand so I usually step outside and do it. Mostly because I don't want to have it all over everything....

Jack
jackerbes is offline Find More Posts by jackerbes
Old Aug 11, 2010, 09:08 PM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,553 Posts
lightweight spackle

You guys will love this, the dangerous part of the light weight spackle (at least the DAP version isn't asbestos, it's the formaldehyde! Here's the MSDS: http://www.dap.com/docs/msds/00010410001_english.pdf

I thought it seemed weird to have asbestos in the lightweight stuff, figured it would be microspheres, so looked it up. The silica glass is probably the spheres. I don't think we're really in trouble, tho as the volume we use is miniscule compared to it's "intended useage". (well, unless you slather it all over a whole plane, I guess)
springer is online now Find More Posts by springer
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 11, 2010, 09:21 PM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,553 Posts
Quote:
frank, i cant get one atm, it is my next purhase,

it is the missus birthday next week so i have to buy her a present, (i dont think i would be forgiven buying myslef some new batteries over her present lol )

but will the trim work? as if going by my logic,
shorter wing span = less drag/lower auw = more thrust per oz = longer flight time
If this is your motor: http://www.rcmodelcentre.co.uk/XTRA-.../prod_197.html Then, you have a fairly heavy 1200kv motor that should haul that BB around fine with enough amps. I agree that your battery is the culprit. I fly my 42 inch BB smartly with a 39 gram 1200kv Emax 2822 using a 3s 1k or 1500kv pack using a 9x6 prop or a gws1060; or a 2S 1k pack and a 1047prop, and she just floats around. a 15c 850kv 2s pack just can't push the amps out while holding the voltage to move that motor/plane. I'd also not shorten the wings, particularly if you scaled the whole plane up to the 52" ( on the other hand if you did a 42" fuse and just made a longer wing, you could cut it back to 42 easily and get a bit of help, but the battery is the thing!) I fly a 7ounce One Sheet Glider and a 6oz. 24" BB, or a dollar store foam 5oz. OKspl30 with an 850 2s pack, but you can see they are all way lighter than my 42 at about 16oz auw.
springer is online now Find More Posts by springer
RCG Plus Member