SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 04, 2010, 03:27 PM
Germany
Joined Jun 2009
261 Posts
2nd year in the hobby, 2nd BluBaby ready for takeoff

I infected a friend of mine with the virus of rc-flying by taking him with me a couple of times and handing him an X-twin ("AirHogs" in the US afaik).

He wants to get into flying "real" rc planes but seems to be resistant to the scratchbuild-virus.
So for the last couple of weeks he kept asking my advice about what RTF to buy. But since all my planes are scratchbuilt and I have never flown any RTF I really couldnt help him. (I know the EasyStar would propably work, but that is a pretty expensive plane too)

Long story short:
I bought a HK 2.4Ghz Tx and built a BluBaby from stuff that I had.
After only one year in scratchbuilding myself I really had Esc, Motor, foam, servos, even wheels in the drawer

Hope to maiden this baby next weekend and hopefully will get my friend on the sticks soon. He already managed to fly my Mini Cassut a bit, so the BluBaby should be no problem at all.
In my opinion this is the best platform to learn on.
Ierwin is offline Find More Posts by Ierwin
Last edited by Ierwin; Aug 04, 2010 at 03:39 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 04, 2010, 04:20 PM
Croatia, Europe
Joined May 2010
34 Posts
Ierwin, nice and precise building! What Emax is in the setup ?
amater_total is offline Find More Posts by amater_total
Old Aug 04, 2010, 04:23 PM
Croatia, Europe
Joined May 2010
34 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by marhar View Post
Very nice, you are an excellent craftsman!
Thanks! The thread is overloaded so i cant manage with all the answers
Old Aug 04, 2010, 04:26 PM
Croatia, Europe
Joined May 2010
34 Posts
Some examples of painted foamies:[/QUOTE]

Mid pics (e starter) showing excellent finishing, tell us more
Last edited by amater_total; Aug 04, 2010 at 04:33 PM.
Old Aug 04, 2010, 04:28 PM
Croatia, Europe
Joined May 2010
34 Posts
Problem with QUOTE pics, confused...
Old Aug 04, 2010, 04:29 PM
I hate gravity!!
Tampa, Florida
Joined Jan 2010
135 Posts
You can use any type of water based paint, or you can use a clearcoat water base then spray paint it with regular acetone type paints. It's been suggested to scuff up any tape for better adhession. Alot of these guys use airbrushes which turns out fantastic. I've painted my before with a brush and didn't like 'cause of all the brush strokes seen in the paint. As soon as I can I'm buying an airbrushes and mini hobby compressor.

http://www.harborfreight.com/airbrush-kit-47791.html

http://www.harborfreight.com/3-gallo...sor-95275.html

Troy
schrockie is offline Find More Posts by schrockie
Old Aug 04, 2010, 04:55 PM
Germany
Joined Jun 2009
261 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by amater_total View Post
Ierwin, nice and precise building! What Emax is in the setup ?
This one has the exact same setup as my own BB (1600kv Emax):
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...ostcount=11793

Here's a video of mine:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...ostcount=11790

*edit*
btw, I used createx airbrush colors on this plane. I dont know if this brand is available outside EU, but I really like it a lot because its water based, easy to use and works on pretty much any surface.
Ierwin is offline Find More Posts by Ierwin
Last edited by Ierwin; Aug 04, 2010 at 05:08 PM.
Old Aug 04, 2010, 05:41 PM
AKA Don
United States, MI, Houghton Lake
Joined Dec 2002
7,608 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ierwin View Post
I infected a friend of mine with the virus of rc-flying by taking him with me a couple of times and handing him an X-twin ("AirHogs" in the US afaik).

He wants to get into flying "real" rc planes but seems to be resistant to the scratchbuild-virus.
So for the last couple of weeks he kept asking my advice about what RTF to buy. But since all my planes are scratchbuilt and I have never flown any RTF I really couldnt help him. (I know the EasyStar would propably work, but that is a pretty expensive plane too)

Long story short:
I bought a HK 2.4Ghz Tx and built a BluBaby from stuff that I had.
After only one year in scratchbuilding myself I really had Esc, Motor, foam, servos, even wheels in the drawer

Hope to maiden this baby next weekend and hopefully will get my friend on the sticks soon. He already managed to fly my Mini Cassut a bit, so the BluBaby should be no problem at all.
In my opinion this is the best platform to learn on.
Very nice looking BB. Your friend should be thrilled!
My flying buddies and I have decided we like the Oskosh Special even better than the original BB. It is a great trainer with small stick and surface movements and yet it will do some great acrobatics when your ready. Vertical climb outs, basic hovering, inside and outside loops, and even inverted. All that with the slow flying UC wing. Yet any time you can let go the sticks and it will recover nicely.

Link to Oshkosh special thread
bz1mcr is offline Find More Posts by bz1mcr
Last edited by bz1mcr; Aug 04, 2010 at 08:57 PM. Reason: link added
Old Aug 06, 2010, 02:11 PM
Dahlonega, GA
Joined Jul 2010
170 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bz1mcr View Post
Very nice looking BB. Your friend should be thrilled!
My flying buddies and I have decided we like the Oskosh Special even better than the original BB. It is a great trainer with small stick and surface movements and yet it will do some great acrobatics when your ready. Vertical climb outs, basic hovering, inside and outside loops, and even inverted. All that with the slow flying UC wing. Yet any time you can let go the sticks and it will recover nicely.

Link to Oshkosh special thread
LOL. I like the BB assembly line. I almost built two BBs at the same time. I did accidentally cut a KFm3 wing before I realized that I really wanted an UC Kfm5b. So,I have a wing, a top fuse, a bottom fuse, and an extra rudder (the latter three being extras that were cut from the scraps). Since I have seconds of almost everything, and I am going to start on a second tonight...
rdhood is offline Find More Posts by rdhood
Old Aug 06, 2010, 06:30 PM
Joined Mar 2010
12 Posts
Blu Baby cousin Blu Dragonfly

I love the Blu Baby... Thank you all who had a part in sharing it with all of us.
I built and flew a couple now and it is in my blood to change things. I know with air planes changing thing can make things go wrong fast. Well I changed the looks a lot leaving wing distance the same and I seems to fly great. NASA watch out here I come. enjoy and if anyone likes I will share PDF of layouts or what ever. Sense the video I have put a bigger motor on and it flies even better.

blu dragonfly (1 min 14 sec)
shasmi is offline Find More Posts by shasmi
Last edited by shasmi; Aug 23, 2010 at 08:16 PM.
Old Aug 06, 2010, 06:57 PM
In Rc for a LONG TIME FFAA#1
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Jun 2004
1,375 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shasmi View Post
I love the Blu Baby... Thank you all who had a part in sharing it with all of us.
I built and flew a couple now and it is in my blood to change things. I know with air planes changing thing can make things go wrong fast. Well I changed the looks a lot leaving wing distance the same and I seems to fly great. NASA watch out here I come. enjoy and if anyone likes I will share PDF of layouts or what ever. Sense the video I have put a bigger motor on and it flies even better.

blu dragon (1 min 14 sec)

post the plans ASAP that looks great!!!
laserman is offline Find More Posts by laserman
Old Aug 07, 2010, 12:29 AM
USA, WA, Bonney Lake
Joined Aug 2008
3,416 Posts
i second that! post the planes asap!!!!!! i also think that looks great, and it would be fun to do one in fpv, could make a great looking ufo once you get past where you can see it.
jettrooper02 is offline Find More Posts by jettrooper02
Old Aug 07, 2010, 08:45 PM
Joined Mar 2010
12 Posts
better pics

I will get the pdf up monday.... until then here are some pics of the dragonfly and slightly modified blu baby 22" wing span.
shasmi is offline Find More Posts by shasmi
Old Aug 08, 2010, 10:07 AM
USA, Concord NC
Joined Aug 2010
37 Posts
I want to build a 33 as my first scratch build foam. Assuming that I can't find a friend with a band saw, what's the best way to cut the (2) 1" pink foam monoblocks? the number 11 x-acto blade doesn't seem to be the best, but may be.
How did you cut the block?
Hazydog is offline Find More Posts by Hazydog
Old Aug 08, 2010, 10:39 AM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
16,992 Posts
One of those electric meat carving knives with a reciprocating blade works pretty sell. If you can find one of those at a yard sale or second hand store that's a good way. I got mine new for $2.99 at a closeout store. It is wonderful for separating sheets of FFF from the bundle.

Another way is to try almost any of the various large (10" or so blade lengths) slicing and carving knives with serrated edges that have been sold over the years. The more jagged the edge the better it will cut. Use a sawing motion with light pressure more than trying to force the blade through the material.

I have a flat thin piece of wood (actually a cedar roofing shingle) with 60 grit and 100 grit open grit woodworking sandpaper glued on the front and back of it. I use that is smooth and flatten any roughness on cut edges. It is also perfect for taking the sharp right angle corners off of foam in almost any form or shape.

If you block the sanding shingle against something that is vertical and slide the monobloc against it it is perfect for squaring it off.

Jack
jackerbes is offline Find More Posts by jackerbes