HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 02, 2010, 06:09 AM
Mark Harrison
USA, CA, Piedmont
Joined Jun 2010
2,180 Posts
3mm Depron for BB33?

I've just inherited some 3mm Depron... is that suitable for a 33 inch? Can it be mixed with other foams (I've got some thicker small pieces of EPP I could use for a 2" body)?

Many TIA!
marhar is offline Find More Posts by marhar
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 02, 2010, 07:12 AM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,342 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by marhar View Post
I've just inherited some 3mm Depron... is that suitable for a 33 inch? Can it be mixed with other foams (I've got some thicker small pieces of EPP I could use for a 2" body)?

Many TIA!
Perfect for the 24"

Ken
dz1sfb is online now Find More Posts by dz1sfb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Mini H Quad Project
Old Aug 02, 2010, 08:08 AM
Zagreb, Croatia
Joined Apr 2010
97 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubeuhh View Post
on which format do you need to print the full plans of 33' version?
a1
Tommee is offline Find More Posts by Tommee
Old Aug 02, 2010, 11:23 AM
Ontario, Canada
Joined Apr 2010
2,516 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jettrooper02 View Post
i have another question, has anyone ever painted these with a lexan paint? i have some for cars that is left over, and i'm thinking if it won't eat the foam it might be a really good paint for foamies, since it's really flexible(it doesn't chip, it will flex with the lexan shells and foam if it works with it.)
Pretty much any solvent based paint (including those used for lexan car bodies) will eat the foam. The only way to use these types of paint is to seal the foam first with Minwax Polycrylic (Water based polyurethane). Even then, it's hard as even the tiniest hole will allow solvent to enter and eat the foam.

You can buy Krylon H20 spray paints which are water based and work well on foam. But they are hard to find and are limited in color.

The best method I have found is water based acrylic craft paint (ie. Apple Barrel brand from Wal-Mart.) sprayed with an air brush. I dilute mine 2:1 with rubbing alcohol (water will work too) and run it through a fine mesh strainer before using.

Single action airbrush from Harbor Freight. I use a similar model from Hobbico. Works well, few parts to clean and does not clog easily (if you dilute and filter your paint):

http://www.harborfreight.com/airbrush-kit-47791.html

Air Compressor for above:

http://www.harborfreight.com/1-8-eig...sor-93657.html

Some examples of painted foamies:
philipa_240sx is online now Find More Posts by philipa_240sx
Old Aug 02, 2010, 11:40 AM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,342 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by philipa_240sx View Post
Pretty much any solvent based paint (including those used for lexan car bodies) will eat the foam. The only way to use these types of paint is to seal the foam first with Minwax Polycrylic (Water based polyurethane). Even then, it's hard as even the tiniest hole will allow solvent to enter and eat the foam.

You can buy Krylon H20 spray paints which are water based and work well on foam. But they are hard to find and are limited in color.

The best method I have found is water based acrylic craft paint (ie. Apple Barrel brand from Wal-Mart.) sprayed with an air brush. I dilute mine 2:1 with rubbing alcohol (water will work too) and run it through a fine mesh strainer before using.

Single action airbrush from Harbor Freight. I use a similar model from Hobbico. Works well, few parts to clean and does not clog easily (if you dilute and filter your paint):

Thats my preferred method also. Nice work BTW! Aw, that Blazy Bee is sad, someone stole his wing scallops. LOL

I attached a couple of examples also.

Ken
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 02, 2010, 11:47 AM
Ontario, Canada
Joined Apr 2010
2,516 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dz1sfb View Post
TAw, that Blazy Bee is sad, someone stole his wing scallops. LOL
The Blazy Bee was a fine indoor plane, but I found her far to slow and floaty for outdoor use. It just didn't seem real when flying.

I swapped to a shorter wing with no polyhedral in hopes of getting slightly better performance, but never painted it. She sits on my shelf now... sadly she hasn't been airborne in months.
Old Aug 02, 2010, 11:51 AM
USA, WA, Bonney Lake
Joined Aug 2008
3,416 Posts
Quote:

wait, so the water based lexan car paint will eat the foam? i've used a non waterbased one once and hated it, so i only will use waterbased from now on anyway, and i already have a harborfreight airbrush for painting cars, so i am ready for that.
jettrooper02 is offline Find More Posts by jettrooper02
Old Aug 02, 2010, 11:56 AM
Ontario, Canada
Joined Apr 2010
2,516 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jettrooper02 View Post
wait, so the water based lexan car paint will eat the foam?
Sorry, thought lexan paint was solvent based only. My mistake.

Most water borne paints should be fine on foam.
Old Aug 02, 2010, 11:58 AM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,342 Posts
Quote:
The Blazy Bee was a fine indoor plane, but I found her far to slow and floaty for outdoor use. It just didn't seem real when flying.

I swapped to a shorter wing with no polyhedral in hopes of getting slightly better performance, but never painted it. She sits on my shelf now... sadly she hasn't been airborne in months.
It is suprisingly sprite with the short straight wing. A good move for outdoor flying.

Sorry! off topic.

Ken
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 02, 2010, 12:00 PM
USA, WA, Bonney Lake
Joined Aug 2008
3,416 Posts
Quote:
Sorry, thought lexan paint was solvent based only. My mistake.

Most water borne paints should be fine on foam.
ok, great! thanks! I have a paint scheme i like to always use on my cars, and i think i'm going to use it on the plane to, but with a couple added colors.
jettrooper02 is offline Find More Posts by jettrooper02
Old Aug 02, 2010, 12:33 PM
Ontario, Canada
Joined Apr 2010
2,516 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dz1sfb View Post
It is suprisingly sprite with the short straight wing. A good move for outdoor flying.

Sorry! off topic.

Ken
OK, let's move it off to the Blazy Bee thread:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...6#post15689737
Old Aug 02, 2010, 04:04 PM
Not always grumpy!!
UK, Eastleigh, Eastleigh
Joined Jul 2010
522 Posts
well guys, i maidened my bb today

it was an amazing flight, she handled the wind really well, (prop a bit too windy for my maiden but i had to go up )

every thing was fine, until about 5 mins into the flight.

i dropped the left servo controlling the left aileron. so i was limping in a left bank. had to bring her down using the rudder really heavily. almost full rudder to keep in a straight line for landing,

but i landed her, all safe and sound. it turns out the gears were severly damaged keepin g the aileron in the upward position

any way. all sorted now. (had to go back to a single servo for the moment)

her is a pic soon after take off

insomaniac45 is offline Find More Posts by insomaniac45
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 02, 2010, 08:14 PM
Not always grumpy!!
UK, Eastleigh, Eastleigh
Joined Jul 2010
522 Posts
hey guys, as you know i maidened her. and well the batterys wernt brilliant,

i got approx 5 mins flight on each battery,

i have
52" bb

9x4.5 prop
25a esc
2829-10 brushless outrunner (this one http://www.sloughrc.com/asp/default....M-XTRA-2829/10 )

auw approx 16oz (i think, posted it in an earlier reply to this thread)

to obtain a decent amount of flight time, what is the best battery choice for me.

i was thinking around the 1300mah 3s range, or will i need higher, as the increase in weight might require the next prop i can obtain (being a 9x7.5 (strange sizes i know, but that is what i am getting atm form my hobby shop ))

but the change on prop will prob come after a flight test to see if the extra weight slows me down too much

if you guys could recommed something i would be really greatful.

thanks so much all
insomaniac45 is offline Find More Posts by insomaniac45
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 02, 2010, 09:44 PM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
16,699 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by insomaniac45 View Post
hey guys, as you know i maidened her. and well the batterys wernt brilliant,

i got approx 5 mins flight on each battery,

i have
52" bb

9x4.5 prop
25a esc
2829-10 brushless outrunner (this one http://www.sloughrc.com/asp/default....M-XTRA-2829/10 )

auw approx 16oz (i think, posted it in an earlier reply to this thread)

to obtain a decent amount of flight time, what is the best battery choice for me.

i was thinking around the 1300mah 3s range, or will i need higher, as the increase in weight might require the next prop i can obtain (being a 9x7.5 (strange sizes i know, but that is what i am getting atm form my hobby shop ))

but the change on prop will prob come after a flight test to see if the extra weight slows me down too much

if you guys could recommed something i would be really greatful.

thanks so much all
The specs on your motor are:

RPM/V 1210
Turns 10
Maximum Current 15A/60s
Operating Current 7-12A
Li-Po Cells 2-3 Cells
Ni-Cd/Ni-MH Cells 4-8 Cells
Shaft Diameter 3.17mm
Weight 57g
Dimensions 28.8 x 29mm

If you can pull the 12A continuous from a 3S battery at 10.5V you will be producing about 126 Watts of power. Looking at the traditionally accepted power requirement of 70-90 watts per pound for trainers and slow flying scale models, you should have plenty of power.

Normally you will fly throttled back at least a little from full throttle, if you were flying at 10A a 1300 mAh would give you a flight duration of about 6 minutes at a continuous 10A. With the normal give and take of flying and power off glides and the like, you can probably get up to 8 minutes or so from a 1300 mAh pack.

The duration figures are pretty much linear as the battery capacity increases. A 2200 mAh pack would give you 10 minutes of duration, a 2600 mAh pack would double the duration to 12 minutes, etc.

At the anticipated power levels (12-15A max) a 15C battery would be adequate as far as it being able to supply the current demands. A 10C might work but a 15C would be a better choice as it will give you a little cushion against overdrawing the battery's capacity.

All of these numbers are dependant on how many amps your choice of motor and prop actually pull. If you don't have or can't get access to a watt meter to test that, run the motor in a static test at full throttle for 15 seconds and then put you fingers on the fixed part of the motor at the base and check for over heating. Warm to slightly hot is OK, if you cannot keep you fingers on it, it is getting too hot and you need to choose a smaller or lower pitch prop. If it passes the 15 second test, give it a 30 seconds test too. The motor will actually draw less power in flight and have better cooling so if it does not overheat in static testing it should be fine in flight.

Jack
jackerbes is offline Find More Posts by jackerbes
Old Aug 03, 2010, 04:25 AM
Mark Harrison
USA, CA, Piedmont
Joined Jun 2010
2,180 Posts
BluBaby Build Walkthrough?

Any good instructional notes / walkthroughs / videos on building BluBabies?
marhar is offline Find More Posts by marhar