HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 23, 2010, 12:30 PM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,931 Posts
Philipa: Some of us are just cheap! (that would be me!)

actually, I just remembered that several of my FB's use the dubro connectors, and I recall watching them fiddle with them during initial setup on the field while I just used a needle nose plier to adjust my control surfaces.

I will note that the wire w/z bends seems to work well with the credit card control horns as I start the holes in them with the sharp point of the #11Xacto twirled like a drill, then finish with the actual wire, so there's no slop. When using a commercial horn, perhaps the dubro connectors are mandatory.
springer is offline Find More Posts by springer
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by springer; Jul 23, 2010 at 12:36 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 23, 2010, 02:12 PM
In Rc for a LONG TIME FFAA#1
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Jun 2004
1,377 Posts
Are You In Ottawa Phillipa?
if so let me know would like to meet another BB Fan here

laserman

Quote:
Originally Posted by philipa_240sx View Post
My Blu-Citabria uses a tab/slot on the LE and rare earth (neo) magnets for the TE. The pull of the magnets is roughly 4lbs, the plane itself weighs 5oz. You can do the math... it would take ~13G's of force to pull the wing off.

I have tried everything to get a wing to pop off...

- Pulling up from WOT dives
- WOT loops
- Winds up to 10mph
- And a few crashes that resulted in the plane cartwheeling

I have yet to lose a wing!

I haven't tried on my bigger planes yet. The magnets are available in many sizes with pulling forces up to 30lbs:

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...=1,42363,42348

Blu-Citabria Thread:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1270904
laserman is offline Find More Posts by laserman
Old Jul 23, 2010, 05:49 PM
I hate gravity!!
Tampa, Florida
Joined Jan 2010
135 Posts
Springer: Sorry to go off topic, but you and a few others were helping me with my 33 build were I screwed up the first wing post #14432/14439. The old wing has dihedral but no camber. The wing has CF rod between the 2 sheets and wing is already renforced with packaging tape. I want to build this slo-stick using this wing. Will it work. The slo-stick is a V-Tail, if I keep the wing as is, should it stay horizontal (because there's no camber) or can I drop the TE as the plans call for.

Sorry everyone for going off topic

http://www.eflightwiki.com/eflightwi...?title=Gym-Blu

Troy
schrockie is offline Find More Posts by schrockie
Old Jul 23, 2010, 07:19 PM
Ontario, Canada
Joined Apr 2010
2,543 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by laserman View Post
Are You In Ottawa Phillipa?
if so let me know would like to meet another BB Fan here

laserman
I live just outside Cambridge, Ont. I don't visit the Ottawa area unfortunately...
philipa_240sx is offline Find More Posts by philipa_240sx
Old Jul 23, 2010, 07:26 PM
Ontario, Canada
Joined Apr 2010
2,543 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by schrockie View Post
The old wing has dihedral but no camber..... I want to build this slo-stick using this wing. Will it work
Nope. The UC is necessary to help generate lift. Without it you are going to need to fly much faster and the plane may be very pitch sensitive.

BTW, it should look more like this once done... it's a cut down PZ Slo-V airframe that matches the Gym-Blu dimensions. She was a nice flyer actually.
Old Jul 23, 2010, 09:08 PM
Canada, ON, Peterborough
Joined Oct 2009
437 Posts
Quote:
Springer: Sorry to go off topic, but you and a few others were helping me with my 33 build were I screwed up the first wing post #14432/14439. The old wing has dihedral but no camber. The wing has CF rod between the 2 sheets and wing is already renforced with packaging tape. I want to build this slo-stick using this wing. Will it work. The slo-stick is a V-Tail, if I keep the wing as is, should it stay horizontal (because there's no camber) or can I drop the TE as the plans call for.

Sorry everyone for going off topic

http://www.eflightwiki.com/eflightwi...?title=Gym-Blu

Troy
You could always laminate a step onto it, making it a KF wing, which should give you some lift at least.
Ace12GA is offline Find More Posts by Ace12GA
Old Jul 23, 2010, 09:42 PM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,931 Posts
Schrockie: If you are building the smaller version (28" span) with a 33" span kfm2 wing, I'd say it would work, won't be as floaty as I expect the UC version will, because the KF is a bit faster and is heavier increasing total weight. Wingloading may not be worse, though, as you will have more area to compensate for additional weight. It's a scratchbuilt anyway, go for it! KFM likes zero degrees incidence, while the UC likes an eighth inch or so positive. So I'd try it flat to the stick. The worst thing that will happen is it'll be too fast for what you want to do with it. Maybe it'll be "just right". Won't know til you try, and it's easy enough to make another wing as UC.

One question: how high is the step?
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 23, 2010, 09:51 PM
Dahlonega, GA
Joined Jul 2010
170 Posts
After looking at all of the foam scratchbuilts in this forum, I am pretty much convinced that anything will fly if you put enough power to it. We have flat wings, cardboard, foam circles, etc. If you put enough power to it schrockie, it will fly.
rdhood is offline Find More Posts by rdhood
Old Jul 24, 2010, 10:28 AM
I hate gravity!!
Tampa, Florida
Joined Jan 2010
135 Posts
Thanks everyone for all the responses.

Springer: According to the blueprints, there is a 1/2" diff. between LE and TE
for the resting points of the wing.

Troy
Old Jul 24, 2010, 12:16 PM
Ontario, Canada
Joined Apr 2010
2,543 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdhood View Post
I am pretty much convinced that anything will fly if you put enough power to it.
True, but the PBF, Nutball, etc which feature flat plate wings are not the easiest to fly.

The Gym-Blu with the UC wing just floats... it's a really nice plane for small spaces.
Old Jul 24, 2010, 12:28 PM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,931 Posts
Quote:
Thanks everyone for all the responses.

Springer: According to the blueprints, there is a 1/2" diff. between LE and TE
for the resting points of the wing.

Troy
I assume you mean the difference on the Gym-blu, I was asking about the KF step on your recycled wing. If you did the simple kfm2 with just two laminated sheets, it'll be a nice glider but "fast" (very relative term here....) while if you added another layer to make the step taller, it'll be slower and more draggy, more like a UC wing. I'd still start with wing bottom surface flat on the stick, but be prepared to adjust. We could discuss this endlessly, Hey, go ahead and build it and tell us how it works!

Philipa makes a very good point, even if pretty much anything can fly, it doesn't mean that anyone can fly it!
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 24, 2010, 12:48 PM
I hate gravity!!
Tampa, Florida
Joined Jan 2010
135 Posts
The wing, now, is just two pieces of foam. I was trying to get a camber on it, but with the tape and 2 layers of foam I could see the foam cracking through the tape. There is no more step, just one flat wing with a little dihedral in it.

Troy
Old Jul 24, 2010, 12:59 PM
Ontario, Canada
Joined Apr 2010
2,543 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
Philipa makes a very good point, even if pretty much anything can fly, it doesn't mean that anyone can fly it!
I really should see if can get a username changed. The A is my last initial... so it's just 'Philip'.
Old Jul 24, 2010, 01:01 PM
Ontario, Canada
Joined Apr 2010
2,543 Posts
Quote:
The wing, now, is just two pieces of foam. I was trying to get a camber on it, but with the tape and 2 layers of foam I could see the foam cracking through the tape. There is no more step, just one flat wing with a little dihedral in it.

Troy
Depron & CellFoam88 are difficult to bend without cracking. You usually need to heat them up in the oven or very carefully with a heat gun.

Blue Core (FFF) and extruded foam (blue or pink) are far easier to build UC wings with.
Old Jul 24, 2010, 01:03 PM
Ontario, Canada
Joined Apr 2010
2,543 Posts
I should resurrect the Gym Blu... I still have the airframe. Just need to make another wing. I have an HXM1811-2000 from HC that would work well.

schrockie, if you are interested I have an airframe and motor. I could bend a wing for you that just needs to be glued together. Only problem is shipping.... it would likely cost over $20 to send it to you!

But I digress, this is the BB thread...