HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 19, 2010, 07:12 AM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
16,997 Posts
Ace,

I've had motor break off of the firewall like that too. That motor is about the upper limit for a BB but I don't consider it too large. Especially if you're trying to build something that will handle high winds better.

The sort of soft and crumbly nature of the foam and the fact that adhesives (PU or epoxy) will not really penetrate or soak into the foam leaves a thin live of adhesive that is pretty easily broken away.

I used a piece of 1/4" or so thick cedar and make a firewall that looks like a two or four legged stool to get a more solid motor mount on the end of a monobloc. I glued the dowels into the cedar bloc and drilled holes in the firewall. I used PU on the dowels and in the holes when I glued it and that gave me some depth and penetration on the mounting. That kind of firewall has survived moderate crashes on a couple of builds. The photos are the one I did on the Blu Sail II glider.

Jack
jackerbes is offline Find More Posts by jackerbes
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 19, 2010, 08:48 AM
A real WingNut
United States, OK, Tulsa
Joined Dec 2008
930 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanos View Post
Neat trick to have servos behind the monoblock. I'll do that too - at least for the ELEV. Don't have any plans for fuse stiffener...? Where does it go? Can you please tell me the AUW of yours?
Thanks
Thanos
Mine weighs 1lb 2.6 oz. without batt, pics below for setup of fuse stiffener. Pardon if someone has already clified this.
Pardon me I had that weight wrong.
j4ck4 is offline Find More Posts by j4ck4
Last edited by j4ck4; Apr 19, 2010 at 08:57 AM. Reason: weight wrong
Old Apr 19, 2010, 11:57 AM
RC Adddict
Canada, BC, Williams Lake
Joined Jan 2010
4,268 Posts
Well i think i finally got my BB52 ready for a maiden . If the wind stays down it may happen today . After a bunch of trial and error i ended up with a 48" wing, should have read alot more and assumed a whole lot less . Added some color last night so it could be true to its name . Name: plane 004.jpg
Views: 160
Size: 51.8 KB
Description:

Used a bunch of left overs from my only other plane PZ corsair . Stock Motor with a 10X7 prop, I swap reciever ESC and BEC from plane to plane right now but will upgrade that eventually.
I used 1/2" pink foam X4 for the mono block then used the same 1/2 foam to give the plane its shape.Name: plane 009.jpg
Views: 237
Size: 48.2 KB
Description: once it was together i sheeted it with dollar store foam board. I like the fat fuse it got.Name: plane 007.jpg
Views: 151
Size: 67.1 KB
Description: mains are the stock wheels from my corsair on 1/8 steel wire . the tail wheel is a 3/4' wheel i had from the 2 pack i used to upgraded my corsair tailwheel.Name: plane 005.jpg
Views: 112
Size: 36.0 KB
Description: I made the wire from here extend straight up inline with the rudder and the glued it directly to rudder so it would turn with it . theres a Guide plate glued to the bottom of the plane to stop it from going anywhere .Name: plane 008.jpg
Views: 133
Size: 41.5 KB
Description:

Heres to a good maiden ( fingers crossed)and i hope it flys and i hope the wind stays away today because i know im gonna try it 1 way or another

Chris
Wilfor is online now Find More Posts by Wilfor
Old Apr 19, 2010, 12:23 PM
Registered Aircraft Offender
Carmichael, CA
Joined Feb 2007
3,521 Posts
Today I maidened my 4th BB 33" KFM with my 6yo daughter; her very first flight (after a little time on the sim). It's exactly like this one:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...7#post13863294

, except it doesn't have paint, the AUW is 8.9oz, and it has these electronics:

Turnigy 2730 motor (14P-12T-24awg-Y)
Eflite 2s800 lipo
GWS 8043sf prop
Plush 10 esc
2@ hs-55 servos

Blu-Baby AP 33" KFM (10 min 47 sec)

That was the second flight, which lasted 13min and used only half the pack! You can see BB33 #3 being flown by a buddy of mine (I built it for his girlfriend after she folded a ??? on its first flight. She painted it herself.

Cheers,
Kev
Truglodite is offline Find More Posts by Truglodite
Old Apr 19, 2010, 04:52 PM
Micro Flyer "Q"
United States, MD, Silver Spring
Joined Sep 2003
1,413 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilfor View Post
Well i think i finally got my BB52 ready for a maiden . If the wind stays down it may happen today . After a bunch of trial and error i ended up with a 48" wing, should have read alot more and assumed a whole lot less . Added some color last night so it could be true to its name . Attachment 3193113

Chris
Very nice looking fuselage shape. I llike your color scheme too, plenty of white with nice touches of blue and green, pretty. I know it will have a great maiden.
qban_flyer is offline Find More Posts by qban_flyer
Old Apr 19, 2010, 11:03 PM
Athens, Greece
Joined Apr 2009
165 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by j4ck4 View Post
Mine weighs 1lb 2.6 oz. without batt, pics below for setup of fuse stiffener. Pardon if someone has already clified this.
Pardon me I had that weight wrong.
Is that a block of foam as an extention of the monoblock? Is it one single piece glued between the fuse sides?
Thanks for the fotos.
Thanos
Thanos is offline Find More Posts by Thanos
Old Apr 20, 2010, 07:57 AM
A real WingNut
United States, OK, Tulsa
Joined Dec 2008
930 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanos View Post
Is that a block of foam as an extention of the monoblock? Is it one single piece glued between the fuse sides?
Thanks for the fotos.
Thanos
Just a sheet of blucor glued beteen the fuse sides, right at the front end end of the top aft fuse panel. I then layed up 2 pieces of blucor against the sides to mount the servo plate too. Servo plate is butted against the monobloc, if you look close you can see the two plates I layed against the sides of the fuse for support for it.
j4ck4 is offline Find More Posts by j4ck4
Old Apr 20, 2010, 11:32 AM
United States, LA, Bastrop
Joined Jun 2009
35 Posts
Chris,
Good looking copilots and a nice plane.

John
JohnWatts is offline Find More Posts by JohnWatts
Old Apr 20, 2010, 11:32 AM
Novato, CA
Joined Dec 2008
693 Posts
Hey guys, I'm brand new to this thread. Wow, I thought the Polaris thread was long!! Quick question. How do you guys join a split wing for the dihedral? Any tips, or point me to the right post number.

Thanks,
Jeff
AirmanAirhead is offline Find More Posts by AirmanAirhead
Old Apr 20, 2010, 11:51 AM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
16,997 Posts
"..Hey guys, I'm brand new to this thread..."

Sorry, no answers until you read the entire thread and passed the final exam.

Actually, look back about two pages and read forward there are a few posts that cover it pretty well. There are links to photos and stuff too.

The process is to sand a matching bevel on the wing ends to set the dihedral and use a wrap of clear duct tape and PU glue to join the panels.

Read this list one time and you'll have a feel for what's in the thread as far as plans and stuff:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...98&postcount=2

Jack
Old Apr 20, 2010, 12:02 PM
Novato, CA
Joined Dec 2008
693 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackerbes View Post
"..Hey guys, I'm brand new to this thread..."

Sorry, no answers until you read the entire thread and passed the final exam.

Actually, look back about two pages and read forward there are a few posts that cover it pretty well. There are links to photos and stuff too.

The process is to sand a matching bevel on the wing ends to set the dihedral and use a wrap of clear duct tape and PU glue to join the panels.

Read this list one time and you'll have a feel for what's in the thread as far as plans and stuff:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...98&postcount=2

Jack
Hey Jack, thanks!! How about I swap you a final exam on the Polaris for one on the Blu-Baby??

Jeff
Old Apr 20, 2010, 03:01 PM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
16,997 Posts
"..How about I swap you a final exam on the Polaris for one on the Blu-Baby??..."

No way, I don't do any of them RTF things any more. After a Sky Fly and an Aerobird Swift I found those things wanted a constant procession of overpriced parts and in the end I was stuck stuck with a bunch of stuff that wouldn't fly and was of little or no further use.

The Blu Baby saved me from all that and I enjoy building foamies as much as I enjoy flying them.

I know your area, I lived in Sonoma from 1986 to 2001, then moved to Maine. I don't know if you can get FFF out there in sunny California or not but it is a great material. I don't think Home Depot carries it any more but Lowes still does. If nothing else have them order you a bundle of it.

Jack
Old Apr 20, 2010, 03:29 PM
United States, LA, Bastrop
Joined Jun 2009
35 Posts
Jeff,

I've been working on a Polaris for awhile. You won't have any trouble with the Blu Baby. You can cut the parts out one evening and asemble the next evening (maybe 2 evenings). Have you flown your Polaris? There is a lot of stuff going through one small hole on the Polaris, nothing like that on the Blu Baby. Are you going to build the 33" UC?

John
JohnWatts is offline Find More Posts by JohnWatts
Old Apr 20, 2010, 04:12 PM
Novato, CA
Joined Dec 2008
693 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackerbes View Post
"..How about I swap you a final exam on the Polaris for one on the Blu-Baby??..."

No way, I don't do any of them RTF things any more. After a Sky Fly and an Aerobird Swift I found those things wanted a constant procession of overpriced parts and in the end I was stuck stuck with a bunch of stuff that wouldn't fly and was of little or no further use.

The Blu Baby saved me from all that and I enjoy building foamies as much as I enjoy flying them.

I know your area, I lived in Sonoma from 1986 to 2001, then moved to Maine. I don't know if you can get FFF out there in sunny California or not but it is a great material. I don't think Home Depot carries it any more but Lowes still does. If nothing else have them order you a bundle of it.

Jack
RTF??? A Polaris is not ready to fly, the version I built was a scratch built. Just messing with you though. The Blu-Baby is not in rolled up plan form and soon to be turned into foam.

Jeff
Old Apr 20, 2010, 05:07 PM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
16,997 Posts
"..RTF??? A Polaris is not ready to fly, the version I built was a scratch built..."

OK, I assumed it was about the RTF version. I don't know that plane at all. I thought we were talking about a RTF sea plane or something like that.

But the Blu Babies are great planes. The original was built as an indoor flyer, it turned out to be a good outdoor flier too, and a superb first plane for newbies because of it's slow and controllable flight.

As time when on it get sportier wings, wider monoblocs, and has been a plane that has introduced thousands to the joys of flying.

Jack