Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Feb 07, 2010, 08:10 PM
One of the usual suspects
United States, AL, Huntsville
Joined Jun 2007
1,470 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdiddyg40 View Post
Hey everyone, I've been following this thread for a while now, and have just recently crashed a plane and free-ed up some electronics

My motor is an Axi 2204-54, so i was wondering if there have been any mini-bluebabies built. (I havent seen any under 22 inches.) Either way, i have 2 questions:

1) what is the suggested RTF weight of a Bluebaby 24" My motor is suggested for planes around 7oz so light is a good thing here. Plus, ive been looking for a solid, mini-backyard plane.

2) Can i scale down the 24 inch plans to make a 15-18 plane? Or can anyone help me scale them down?

Thanks for all the help here, ive been following this thread for quite a while now
About midway down this post is a link for a 12" WS BB
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...8#post11531498
Vicarious is online now Find More Posts by Vicarious
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 07, 2010, 09:17 PM
Texas Hill Country
Joined Sep 2009
88 Posts
RC Fly Boy,

This is how I reinforced my wing. .125 carbon tube glued and taped in both halves, 0.0625 music wire, bent to match the dihedral, slipped into the two ends of the carbon tube.

survived several flights including a tight loop, plus one head in crash.

Oh, also have clear packing tape the length of both wings, doubled over at the joint.

David
eljay2 is offline Find More Posts by eljay2
Old Feb 07, 2010, 10:10 PM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,457 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrown3rd View Post
Sounds like a plan. The KFM wing is at zero incidence when compared to the horizontal stab right?
Right, KFM's are all zero, UC is about 1/8 to 1/4 up at LE, and you can figure that into the saddle sides, about a Blucor thickness.

I just remembered that i'd posted on my blog how mine looks, may want to check it out.
springer is offline Find More Posts by springer
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 07, 2010, 11:12 PM
United States, CA, Rancho Cucamonga
Joined Oct 2008
12 Posts
Thanks EljY2, that is what I will do on my new wing...
RC Fly Boy is offline Find More Posts by RC Fly Boy
Old Feb 09, 2010, 07:35 PM
United States, WI, Avoca
Joined Dec 2003
223 Posts
Out of The Loop

Sorry to bother you folks while you are having so much fun. But I have been out of the loop for quite a while now.
I built a Blu-Baby AP1 quite a while back, and even maidened it last summer, I finally feel better now, and was able to get my plane up off the snow a few days ago, and I even got some aerial vid. I sure hope I am in the right forum for this thing. I am sure some one will straighten me out.

Gary flys around his house in Lovely West Wisconsin.wmv (10 min 0 sec)

Prop stitches
Prop stitches is offline Find More Posts by Prop stitches
Old Feb 09, 2010, 09:03 PM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,457 Posts
Oooh, 10 minutes! I'll have to wait to get to the library to watch that one!
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 09, 2010, 10:01 PM
If it flies, I will crash it
USA, CO, Westminster
Joined Jan 2008
3,017 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prop stitches View Post
Sorry to bother you folks while you are having so much fun. But I have been out of the loop for quite a while now.
I built a Blu-Baby AP1 quite a while back, and even maidened it last summer, I finally feel better now, and was able to get my plane up off the snow a few days ago, and I even got some aerial vid. I sure hope I am in the right forum for this thing. I am sure some one will straighten me out.

Prop stitches
Well you are certainly in the right place. Your video defines amateur aerial video. Very impressive and a treat to watch. Simply beautiful. Thanks you so much for posting it.

Rob...

P.S. I encourage everybody to go to YouTube and rate this one. It should be well regarded.
mxspode is offline Find More Posts by mxspode
Old Feb 10, 2010, 09:48 AM
United States, WI, Avoca
Joined Dec 2003
223 Posts
Thank you so very much for the nice things you said about my video, Rob.
I appreciate your comments.
The video was taken with one of those $11.00 Gum Cameras off of e-Bay.
Prop s
Prop stitches is offline Find More Posts by Prop stitches
Old Feb 10, 2010, 10:51 AM
United States, MI, Hillsdale
Joined Apr 2008
628 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prop stitches View Post
Thank you so very much for the nice things you said about my video, Rob.
I appreciate your comments.
The video was taken with one of those $11.00 Gum Cameras off of e-Bay.
Prop s
If I may, what vendor did you use to get the cam and were you happy with them?
I've been looking at them but not being an active ebay-er I haven't done anything yet.
Thanks!

Patric
PatricMichigan is offline Find More Posts by PatricMichigan
Old Feb 10, 2010, 05:07 PM
Albany, Or
Joined Jan 2009
162 Posts
I bought one from hobby partz. I paid almost 30$ though I never thought to check ebay. I am happy with mine - very simple to use. But does anyone else get interference from the planes motor? More throtle = more distortion. I get a wavy picture.
Lowflyer52 is offline Find More Posts by Lowflyer52
Old Feb 10, 2010, 06:18 PM
If it flies, I will crash it
USA, CO, Westminster
Joined Jan 2008
3,017 Posts
That is normal and some cams are worse then others. Best to get it as far away from the ESC and motor as possible. Not much else you can do about it.

Rob...
mxspode is offline Find More Posts by mxspode
Old Feb 10, 2010, 08:51 PM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
16,695 Posts
"..But does anyone else get interference from the planes motor? More throtle = more distortion. I get a wavy picture..."

If it is a swimming motion like you'll see here:

http://www.vom.com/jack/swimming.avi

A more rigid mount might fix it. It can be a challenge though. If the airframe is vibrating then you need to isolate the camera from that with some foam or something. If the wing is not vibrating, just the camera is vibrating, then firming up the mount or adding something like a layer of well compressed foam between the camera and the wing might do it.

I started with a thin, bendable for look angle, aluminum bracket on the camera. Then worked out a way to put that on the wing.

It the first two photos is the first mount I used. It was two loops of small bungee cord that went over the aluminum bracket. That worked fairly well but the swimming would come and go with air speed and motor speed. Folding a double layer of 1/4" RC foam (the white foam seen on the battery there) and putting that between the bracket and the wing, along with tightening the bungee cord loops, finally got it solid.

The next two are another flying wing. I drilled a hole so it was a snug fit on the short cylindrical nylon bushing and put the bushing in the hole in the wing. Then I put nylon flat washer on top and bottom of the wing and used a 1/4" nylon machine screw. The screw came up from the bottom, the camera rested on a piece of foam that was on top of the washer, then I put a 1/4" wing nut on it all. When it was snugged down pretty good it did not vibrate.

Sometimes is looks like I have too much time on my hands...

Jack
jackerbes is offline Find More Posts by jackerbes
Old Feb 10, 2010, 09:47 PM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,457 Posts
Can't remember if I posted this or not, but somewhere back in this thread, there was a mention of doing a dual rotor gyrocopter version of the BluBaby. If any of you guys are interested, here's the link to the thread in the gyrocopter forum: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1186165
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 11, 2010, 11:27 AM
Steve
1901 Skaggs Rd., Sherman, TX 75090
Joined Jan 2007
26 Posts
I am getting ready to build a BB33 and need to order a motor. I know that there are bound to be posts in this thread that would be helpful, but there are 904 to wade through. I would like something on the economical side. I would like something on the upper end of the power requirement. I need some other things from HobbyKing so would prefer to but there. Thanks for your imput

Steve
steve1935 is offline Find More Posts by steve1935
Old Feb 11, 2010, 11:47 AM
One of the usual suspects
United States, AL, Huntsville
Joined Jun 2007
1,470 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1935 View Post
I am getting ready to build a BB33 and need to order a motor. I know that there are bound to be posts in this thread that would be helpful, but there are 904 to wade through. I would like something on the economical side. I would like something on the upper end of the power requirement. I need some other things from HobbyKing so would prefer to but there. Thanks for your imput

Steve
I'm gonna say the Blue Wonder from Heads Up RC
Specs are on the page.
Vicarious is online now Find More Posts by Vicarious