HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 12, 2007, 02:47 PM
AMA 14680
Northern Nevada
Joined Mar 2007
1,581 Posts
Face Planted My BB Birddog this AM

Speaking of building.... Having a great time with the BB Birddog this a.m. Not wanting to leave well enough alone... I went for that one last flight after the winds were picking up. Worked myself downwind and couldnt get back. I think I out flew my antenna range as BB started porpoising then went straight in. Drove the motor back about an inch but didn't break the prop. LOL. Replacement fuse 80% finished. New version flys tomorrow a.m. Bob

P.S. I 'm using one of the high gain short antennas. Supposed to give 85% of normal range. Anybody using any type of shortened antenna? I hate trailing antennal wires.
Foamenator is offline Find More Posts by Foamenator
Last edited by Foamenator; May 12, 2007 at 02:56 PM. Reason: Missing info
to remove ads between posts
Old May 12, 2007, 04:09 PM
Near Aberystwyth - Wales
Joined Aug 2004
2,116 Posts
Run it out along lower side of wing, retain with a pin and lacky band if you need to remove the wing each time.

Del
Del-Dredd is offline Find More Posts by Del-Dredd
Old May 12, 2007, 07:32 PM
You deserve my opinion
Collierville, TN
Joined Apr 2005
1,497 Posts
Bob,

Bummer about the crash. I thought I was the master of the one-point landing.

My fuse took a pretty good hit on the asphalt today. I allowed myself to be distracted while trying to land. I was pleased with the way the monobloc and epp took the hit. Only damage was that I ruffed up the epp a little and scraped off some paint. I got off easy--this time.

Guess I'm going BB crazy. Just started playing with a third plane. (I'm going to give my second one to a friend). I found some thick packing foam that will make an ideal bloc, so I have it cut out along with the rest of the fuse. I'm trying to take my time on these and stretch things out a little.

Wish you the best with your flight in the morning. Enjoy your weekend.

Pat
FirstShirt is offline Find More Posts by FirstShirt
Old May 12, 2007, 08:42 PM
KZ RIDER
Confederate States of America
Joined Nov 2001
1,037 Posts
How are all you fellows reinforcing your wing?
Are you using a spar or fibertape?
There isn't any pics of one on the plans.
I would like to know if anybody is flying one with a J250 dd and if you are, how much does it weigh RTF and how well does it fly?
Thanks Ray
raythomas is offline Find More Posts by raythomas
Old May 12, 2007, 08:43 PM
KZ RIDER
Joined Nov 2001
1,037 Posts
Also, oddly enough
I didn't get an answer from anyone on the difference between a J250 and a SP280.
Any takers on this one??
Thanks Ray
Old May 12, 2007, 08:51 PM
New Hampshire-seacoast area
Joined Jun 2005
1,755 Posts
Wow Pat, you're going into production!! Need another friend to give one to--LOL.

Paul
praymond is offline Find More Posts by praymond
Old May 12, 2007, 09:00 PM
AMA 14680
Northern Nevada
Joined Mar 2007
1,581 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by raythomas
How are all you fellows reinforcing your wing?
Are you using a spar or fibertape?
There isn't any pics of one on the plans.
I would like to know if anybody is flying one with a J250 dd and if you are, how much does it weigh RTF and how well does it fly?
Thanks Ray
My BB (see post #60) uses Elmers Foamboard for wings. After the papar is removed it is 4mm thick. I rolled per Tony's instruction and put a couple of foam ribs to maintain the airfoil. I have since decided the ribs aren't needed. I put bamboo skewer on the leading edge of each wing panel. The skewers are 12" long. Once I set the dihedral at 1.5 inches per Tony's method I used 2" sealing tape to run one strip as a reinforcement the length of the wing in one piece from about 4" from one wing tip to the other. This tape helps hold the dihedral and adds strength. I cartwheeled the plane big time and one wing broke right at the end of the tape. If you look at the post # 60 you may be able to see the bamboo leading edge and the sealing tape on the wing. The wing is plenty strong and now weighs 2 oz after repairs.

The electronics (motor, esc, 1000 mah battery, servos and redeiver) weighs 6 oz. The finished plane weighed 11oz. I totalled it this morning, but the wing was not damaged at all. Sorry I can't help you with the motors. I'm not familiar with them. Hope this helps. Bob
Foamenator is offline Find More Posts by Foamenator
Old May 12, 2007, 09:06 PM
You deserve my opinion
Collierville, TN
Joined Apr 2005
1,497 Posts
Ray,

I'm not using anything other than thin packaging tape to reinforce the main wing. I always run a piece along the leading edge in case I bump the wing. Sometimes, on longer wings, I also run some along the top side.

I put some packaging tape where the two wing halves are joined and where the rubber bands hold the wing in place. This has worked fine for the two Blu-Babies I've built using Depron for the wing. I'd do the same if I was using Blucor. This has always worked fine for me on slowflyers with undercam wings of around 36" or less. Just my 2 cents.

I can't tell you the difference between the two motors. When I've used a J250 direct drive, it was with a 3"-4" prop. I think anything much larger would burn up the motor, so I would imagine you'd need to use a gearbox to make a J250 work on the BB.

Pat
FirstShirt is offline Find More Posts by FirstShirt
Old May 12, 2007, 11:18 PM
KZ RIDER
Joined Nov 2001
1,037 Posts
Well that is strange.
I had a J250 dd on another blucor trainer I built a while back.
It used a 5x2 prop and had a 5amp micro esc with a 2cell 860ma lipo.
It would fly for over 20 minutes easy and the lipo was never warm.
The motor was just slightly warm.
Still don't know how it compares to a sp280 dd though.
Thanks Ray
Old May 13, 2007, 06:57 AM
I'm not flying backwards!
Oshawa, Canada
Joined Sep 2004
3,753 Posts
Ray, by and large the J250s are more powerful than MOST sp280s but it is a very difficult question to answer as the J250 is a specific motor and the sp280 is a class of motors, some weak, some strong. Usually, the J250s fly on a 4025 prop but if you have one that will turn a 5X2, go for it. It should be a great combo for a Blu-Baby.

I use a single strip of duct tape acrass the wing joint running chordwise and run a strip of fiber tape out spanwise to just short of the tips. Works for me.

Bob, I grieve for your loss of the BB BirdDog. She was a very pretty bird. If you're going to build another, I posted a BirdDog fin for the BB a few posts back, in with the larger BBs. It will fly the same but look more BirdDoggish (is that a word?)

Pat, you're a production machine, a regular Blu-Baby factory! Between work and Mother's day committments I still have my latest BB half built and a couple of new planes ready to cut. Gotta replace my AP Bird, the season is upon us!

Tony
Tony65x55 is offline Find More Posts by Tony65x55
Old May 13, 2007, 08:53 AM
KZ RIDER
Joined Nov 2001
1,037 Posts
Hey Tony
Don't forget, we're still on pins and needles waiting for the SPORTWING!!!!
Will the sportwing interchange with the original?
Or is the fuselage modified for it also?
I'm sorta holding up on building mine so I can see if I want the reg or the SW version.
Thanks Ray
Old May 13, 2007, 10:20 AM
Oshawa, Canada
Joined Sep 2004
3,753 Posts
Ray, the Sport Wing was designed for the 52" Blu-Baby AP as a means of playing with the big bird when she wasn't working. Are you looking for a sport wing for the little Blu Baby? If so, let me know.

Tony
Old May 13, 2007, 10:28 AM
Joined May 2006
2,854 Posts
What is the Sport Wing ?
nubee 1 is offline Find More Posts by nubee 1
Old May 13, 2007, 10:48 AM
Oshawa, Canada
Joined Sep 2004
3,753 Posts
It's a 52" span Clark Y with full span flaperons for the big BB AP. It has no dihedral. It allows the BB AP to act like a big, slow Formosa. Similar to the KFm Wing for the little Blu-Baby.

Tony
Old May 13, 2007, 11:12 AM
Pacific Northwest, USA
Joined Oct 2004
365 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by raythomas
Also, oddly enough
I didn't get an answer from anyone on the difference between a J250 and a SP280.
Any takers on this one??
Thanks Ray
Ray, now keep in mind that there are different flavors of the J-250 and the 280 so my test could have been changed using other flavors. I field tested both motors on a 27" wing (frenzie) with a 4025 prop and 850 lippo 3s and Direct Drive. The 280 worked ok but the J-250 had noticably better performance. But for gear setups a single 280 worked better than a single geared J-250. So I come up with from my field testing thay the J-250 has higher rpm but the 280 has more power at a lower rpm. Also size and weight are different. So in my oppinion in that size the J-250 rules.
madfisherman is offline Find More Posts by madfisherman