HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 24, 2007, 08:24 PM
Postcards From The Purple Edge
United States, OK, Sand Springs
Joined May 2007
3,919 Posts
BluEndurance2

Yep. Definitely a good choice. It's my new favorite for anything over 10-12oz+. I'm swinging a GWS 11x4.7SF right now on the BBAP drawing 15.3A for 160W static on a LM 3S 2250. She's 26oz and can easily sustain 50 degree climbouts. I've got some GWS 10x6HD's comming in the mail. That should be a good prop on this one, too.

Tony, good point on the enclosed fuse vs profile. I hadn't thought of it that way. I was thinking mostly in terms of weight. Too late to change now, though. The airframe is done. 32" UC wing, one-piece profile fuse/v-stab, made of 4mm foam board. I gave the wing a CF tube spar and left the paper on the fuse for stiffness/strength. The airframe without gear is 60g. Fudging up a bit for wire weight and such I figure a 24g motor, 20g for servos/arms/rods, 12g ESC, 3g receiver. I should come in somewhere around 130g or, ~4.6oz, w/o bats. Bats at 59g each with wires and plugs puts me at ~9oz AUW. My other BB32 is standard per your plans (but for a 2" monoblock) and has an AUW of 10.2oz with just one battery and can be trimmed to cruise (even slow climb) at less than 50% throttle. So it looks like BBBE2 (to stick with your naming scheme ) will be carrying 2640mAh worth of 2S and realizing a 10% weight reduction over her sister. On a calm day with a slow climbout...seems possible to me.

kendall
tuppertn is offline Find More Posts by tuppertn
Last edited by tuppertn; Sep 24, 2007 at 08:34 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 24, 2007, 09:58 PM
I'm not flying backwards!
Oshawa, Canada
Joined Sep 2004
3,753 Posts
Quote: "Don't need to talk about the 1st family camera."

Do I dare ask?

The thought gives me a cold shiver. I had my first AP camera ejected from a plane that was having some control issues. You brought back the memories of watching it hurl 200' from the sky. I would never have believed it would fall so long before it hit... it seemed to take forever to hit the ground.

Tony
Tony65x55 is offline Find More Posts by Tony65x55
Last edited by Tony65x55; Sep 24, 2007 at 10:09 PM.
Old Sep 24, 2007, 10:06 PM
Oshawa, Canada
Joined Sep 2004
3,753 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuppertn
Yep. Definitely a good choice. It's my new favorite for anything over 10-12oz+. I'm swinging a GWS 11x4.7SF right now on the BBAP drawing 15.3A for 160W static on a LM 3S 2250. She's 26oz and can easily sustain 50 degree climbouts. I've got some GWS 10x6HD's comming in the mail. That should be a good prop on this one, too.

Tony, good point on the enclosed fuse vs profile. I hadn't thought of it that way. I was thinking mostly in terms of weight. Too late to change now, though. The airframe is done. 32" UC wing, one-piece profile fuse/v-stab, made of 4mm foam board. I gave the wing a CF tube spar and left the paper on the fuse for stiffness/strength. The airframe without gear is 60g. Fudging up a bit for wire weight and such I figure a 24g motor, 20g for servos/arms/rods, 12g ESC, 3g receiver. I should come in somewhere around 130g or, ~4.6oz, w/o bats. Bats at 59g each with wires and plugs puts me at ~9oz AUW. My other BB32 is standard per your plans (but for a 2" monoblock) and has an AUW of 10.2oz with just one battery and can be trimmed to cruise (even slow climb) at less than 50% throttle. So it looks like BBBE2 (to stick with your naming scheme ) will be carrying 2640mAh worth of 2S and realizing a 10% weight reduction over her sister. On a calm day with a slow climbout...seems possible to me.

kendall
Thanks Kendall, I appreciate the advice on the motor. I really am a motor dummy.

BBBE2... I like that.
Old Sep 24, 2007, 11:39 PM
Registered Aircraft Offender
Carmichael, CA
Joined Feb 2007
3,513 Posts
sounds good kendall. let us know how it goes, & good luck as always.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony65x55
Power wise, it's not much better than the BP21 the BBAP1 originally wore and I am going to order the KD A22-20L from United to replace it. "I need more power Mr. Scott!"
hehe, me too.

being a completely satisfied owner of a purple a20-20L (the real mcoy) i always overlooked the "UH hackers" when placing my orders. having heard nothing about them, i assumed they were inefficient and no more than an attempt to use the name "hacker" to trap customers; "well if it's shaped like a hacker, it must perform like one too!"... how stupid do they think i am?... how nieve i was..

thankfully kendall's reports about that motor caught my attention (i assume you meant KDA20-22L). based on that, and after reading other similar UH reviews, i figure it's a good motor & a better choice than the bp21 for my bbap1 too.

you have to forgive me, i've bought a few melons from UH during previous experiments (hint: avoid the HXT28 22 & possibly other chrome can hxt motors... terrible efficiency ).

kev
Truglodite is offline Find More Posts by Truglodite
Old Sep 25, 2007, 06:44 AM
Oshawa, Canada
Joined Sep 2004
3,753 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truglodite
sounds good kendall. let us know how it goes, & good luck as always.

hehe, me too.

being a completely satisfied owner of a purple a20-20L (the real mcoy) i always overlooked the "UH hackers" when placing my orders. having heard nothing about them, i assumed they were inefficient and no more than an attempt to use the name "hacker" to trap customers; "well if it's shaped like a hacker, it must perform like one too!"... how stupid do they think i am?... how nieve i was..

thankfully kendall's reports about that motor caught my attention (i assume you meant KDA20-22L). based on that, and after reading other similar UH reviews, i figure it's a good motor & a better choice than the bp21 for my bbap1 too.

you have to forgive me, i've bought a few melons from UH during previous experiments (hint: avoid the HXT28 22 & possibly other chrome can hxt motors... terrible efficiency ).

kev
It's hard to separate the gold from the coal when you're looking at an on-line catalog. Thankfully, we have RC Groups to educate us on what's hot and what's not. United has some great stuff but there is some crap too and, except for a couple of the good folks in the Power forums, no one has the time, money or inclination to try 'em all. Then when you add in my "motor dummy" factor, I'm very grateful for the guidance.

Tony
Old Sep 25, 2007, 09:22 AM
Carmichael, CA
Joined Feb 2007
3,513 Posts
i'm not well versed on motors either. i mean, i know the basics but i'm definately not a "motor guy". i respect those guys though, as i rely their advice and the positive experiences of rcg members to guide my purchases. i should read the power forums more often than i do; it helps maintain a well rounded rc education, and can help prevent missing out on the next "goldrush".

kev
Old Sep 25, 2007, 09:30 AM
Joined Nov 2006
1,067 Posts
I had quite the adventure with my BBAP the other day. I was flying at about 100' and below my plane was an open field, to the right was a soccer game and straight ahead was a full parking lot. I saw something fall off of my plane when I was pulling up and then I realized that the plane wasn't responding to my control inputs (uh oh no battery). All I could say was "Oh " I then ran to my plane which glided to a perfect landing just before the parking lot .

Oh, I also started a build of a 33" BB. Using 1 1/2" blue foam for the fuse so that I can fit my blue wonder on her. I have a set of 44" wings that are UC and the perfect size for the plane, but I am thinking I should probably scale them down to the 33" recommendation. Well, what do you all think? Would a 40" wing just be too over kill on this little plane?
Kurpal is offline Find More Posts by Kurpal
Old Sep 25, 2007, 09:59 PM
Carmichael, CA
Joined Feb 2007
3,513 Posts
hehe, good thing it didn't head toward the soccer game... just imagine the carnage that would follow, with kids pulling it to pieces trying to grab it from one another.

overkill? no such thing.

i'll assume you have flown that 44" wing. did it ever show a tendency to flutter or flex? will the bb33 be heavier or lighter than the plane the 44" wing came from?

without answers to those questions, it's hard to tell whether it would work or not. i'd guess a standard bb style 40" uc wing is not too much for a bb33 to handle, but it may need reinforcements. i can't be 100% sure until you test fly it. (be careful... doh!)

kev
Old Sep 25, 2007, 10:27 PM
Oshawa, Canada
Joined Sep 2004
3,753 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurpal
I had quite the adventure with my BBAP the other day. I was flying at about 100' and below my plane was an open field, to the right was a soccer game and straight ahead was a full parking lot. I saw something fall off of my plane when I was pulling up and then I realized that the plane wasn't responding to my control inputs (uh oh no battery). All I could say was "Oh " I then ran to my plane which glided to a perfect landing just before the parking lot .

Oh, I also started a build of a 33" BB. Using 1 1/2" blue foam for the fuse so that I can fit my blue wonder on her. I have a set of 44" wings that are UC and the perfect size for the plane, but I am thinking I should probably scale them down to the 33" recommendation. Well, what do you all think? Would a 40" wing just be too over kill on this little plane?
Kurpal, the BB33 has oversize stabilizers for super stability for beginners. It should handle the increase in wing just fine. Try it. Make sure you heed Kev's advice though and make sure the wing is OK structurally.

Tony
Old Sep 26, 2007, 10:04 AM
Joined Nov 2006
1,067 Posts
The wing is made from depron and packing tape reinforced. On the previous plane it also had wing struts which I was thinking about putting back on it. It would be great to go without them though. I wouldn't mind not having to connect and disconnect struts every freakin time I move the wing. The other plane was heavier because I was using heavier gear. I was using a BP-21, and 1800 mah lipo and sometimes floats. I just noticed that the BB33 doesn't use wing struts, interesting... I will have to test this out.
Kurpal is offline Find More Posts by Kurpal
Old Sep 26, 2007, 04:30 PM
Carmichael, CA
Joined Feb 2007
3,513 Posts
since the bb33 will be lighter it won't put as big a load on the wing; you may squeak by without the struts. i agree that struts can be a hassle when it comes to those short daily park flying sessions. on the other hand, there are times when the 5min spent hooking up struts really pays off. this is why my 60" bbap only comes out to play during the longer flying sessions, and rarely makes it in the back of my truck for a quick "sunset after work" flying session.

as you probably already know, go slow & easy during your first flights, and gradually work up to diving speeds & high-g loads. there are some airplanes that cannot recover from certain flutter situations. you don't want to find out the hard way if it's one of those.

good luck on the maiden! ...and may this beautiful flying weather we are having last forever!

kev
Old Sep 27, 2007, 11:57 PM
Carmichael, CA
Joined Feb 2007
3,513 Posts
hey kendall, Niel_J just happened to post this cool link in the ifo thread:

1oz gps datalogger - $150
http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/pro...oducts_id=8237

i figure it can hook up to the bec, and a 1gb sd card would probably store more than enough data for any rc use.

kev

[btw, i just ordered a kdh20-22L. can't wait to see how she flies.]
Last edited by Truglodite; Sep 28, 2007 at 04:30 AM.
Old Sep 28, 2007, 05:28 AM
Oshawa, Canada
Joined Sep 2004
3,753 Posts
Very cool datalogger. Could you use this, in conjunction with a stopwatch or something, to determine what altitude you were at when a particular photo was taken?

If we buy 100 or more, we can get them for $119.95. We could outfit the fleet!

Tony
Old Sep 28, 2007, 03:02 PM
Carmichael, CA
Joined Feb 2007
3,513 Posts
sure a stopwatch could be used to time when the photos were taken, then find the gps sentence that matches the time, et voile. i'm pretty sure you could even use google earth to form a 3d viewpoint from where the pic was taken. i was impressed when i looked at the "sailplane flight path" demo in google earth. you can zoom in and view an "altitude layers", from which i was able to see what agl the sailplane was at (parts of the path disappear once you zoom in below them). pan & tilt are also really cool to get a better 3d sense of how the flight looks. i'm not sure if it exists, but what would be nice is a program that can intake gps data and give an "in the cockpit" realtime playback using google earth for texturing.

i'd be willing to pay $150 for it, but i'm even more willing to pay just $120! too bad i don't have $12000 sitting around to make that order, and i doubt 100 ppl would trust me with their $120. great idea, but not sure how we could execute it. perhaps we can talk sparkfun in to giving us some financing to get the deal out. how to best go about that i don't know. DOH! i'm too schtoopud to be an entrepreneur, but i'm in $120+S&H if someone can work it out.

kev
Old Sep 28, 2007, 03:38 PM
United States, OH, Westlake
Joined Mar 2002
4,512 Posts
Trug,

I've done something like this for 2 dimensions (virtual rowing). Google Earth is fabulous!
What format is your GPS data?

K
kdahlhaus is online now Find More Posts by kdahlhaus