HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 10, 2007, 09:38 AM
Postcards From The Purple Edge
United States, OK, Sand Springs
Joined May 2007
3,919 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truglodite
fyi, i've tried hotglue on a few occasions & now i avoid it like prarie dogs, i mean the plague.
HA! Thou hast made me giggle.
tuppertn is offline Find More Posts by tuppertn
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 10, 2007, 12:25 PM
Ipoh, Perak Malaysia
Joined Jul 2006
4,011 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony65x55
Chewy, the "parts" doc is tiled 8.5X11" sheets. Do you need the "Full" plan tiled too?

Tony

I don't really like tiled plans. I am not very good at piecing them together and getting them to line up flat. I would prefer the "parts" to be rearranged in A1 or A0 sheets if at all possible or sheets no more than 34" wide. The length can be anything, it's just the width that is the limiting factor.

As for the "Full" plan, I think I will pass on printing that....

chewy
chewytm is offline Find More Posts by chewytm
Old Sep 10, 2007, 02:43 PM
One of the usual suspects
United States, AL, Huntsville
Joined Jun 2007
1,480 Posts
RE: Fuse warp

High Flyin'
In my experience, Hot Glue can be made soft and loose again at 130* F (Inside a hot car...) Try the oven at 150* The glue should melt before the foam. (Hi-temp hot glue... nevermind)

Good Luck and good flying

PS Watch closely, and don't leave unattended!
Vicarious is online now Find More Posts by Vicarious
Last edited by Vicarious; Sep 10, 2007 at 02:45 PM. Reason: Safety minute
Old Sep 10, 2007, 03:42 PM
I'm not flying backwards!
Oshawa, Canada
Joined Sep 2004
3,753 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chewytm
I don't really like tiled plans. I am not very good at piecing them together and getting them to line up flat. I would prefer the "parts" to be rearranged in A1 or A0 sheets if at all possible or sheets no more than 34" wide. The length can be anything, it's just the width that is the limiting factor.

As for the "Full" plan, I think I will pass on printing that....

chewy
I'll see if I can do it.

Tony
Tony65x55 is offline Find More Posts by Tony65x55
Old Sep 10, 2007, 07:02 PM
Flying 3 mistakes high
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jun 2004
1,522 Posts
Thanks for the plans Tony!!
Am planning on using a clark Y airfoil on the BBAP2 cut from foam. Have already hot wire cut the wings and printed out plans last night.
Cheers,
Glenn.
GlennS is offline Find More Posts by GlennS
Old Sep 10, 2007, 07:59 PM
Registered Aircraft Offender
Carmichael, CA
Joined Feb 2007
3,537 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennS
Am planning on using a clark Y airfoil on the BBAP2 cut from foam. Have already hot wire cut the wings and printed out plans last night.
Cheers,
Glenn.
please post pics if you can. a hotwired clark-y on a big bb should be a treat.

kev
Truglodite is offline Find More Posts by Truglodite
Old Sep 10, 2007, 07:59 PM
Joined May 2007
3,919 Posts
Got the KDA20-22L on the BBAP tonight. Also, my Eagle Tree Micropower E-logger arrived. (Cool little gadget BTW--wattmeter, datalogger and altimeter in a 0.7oz package. )

The wattmeter says the 20-22L swinging a GWS 10x4.7 on 3s draws 11.5A for 121W from a brand new battery prior to its first charge. That gives the BBAP about 73W/lb with room to grow before I reach the motor's 17A max.

Working on balance now. Looks like I'm going to have to relocate the servos into the rear of the fuse to give the battery room to move aft. After that she should be ready to maiden.

kendall
Old Sep 10, 2007, 09:04 PM
"On the Wing"
Ohio
Joined Jul 2006
757 Posts
Quote:
(fyi, i've tried hotglue on a few occasions & now i avoid it like prarie dogs, i mean the plague.)
Hot glue has it's place.
Use whatever slow glue you want.
Use hot glue to "clamp" the parts together while the slow glue sets.

Paul
paulo810 is offline Find More Posts by paulo810
Old Sep 10, 2007, 09:38 PM
I'm not flying backwards!
Oshawa, Canada
Joined Sep 2004
3,753 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennS
Cheers,
Glenn.
You're welcome. I used a Clark Y on my BBAP1 and it worked very well. I was out flying the BBAP2 tonight and it was a beautiful flyer. The KFm wing glided like a homesick angel. I may have to put flaps on it to get it to land promptly. Right now it glides forever. Going again tomorrow and will take some pics, weather permitting

Tony
Tony65x55 is offline Find More Posts by Tony65x55
Old Sep 10, 2007, 11:27 PM
Always Ready!
Chicago, IL
Joined Dec 2006
5,181 Posts
Here's my 48" KFm BluBaby... I blew up the 33" plans to make the most of a single sheet of FFF (actually, 1 sheet plus about 5" of another for the KFm step.)

I modified the monobloc a bit so I could cap the ends with BluCor for aesthetic reasons... and I modified the nose to accept a 1-quart oil bottle as the cowl - which turned out pretty good I think. I also built in an air vent under the cowl to allow air to vent from the bottom. All up I'm at about 28oz... but a full 6oz of that is the heavy LG - so I may need to build something a bit lighter. I think the BP21 with a 10x3.8 on 3S ought to pull it nice and slow.

My Rx is in another plane right now so I won't maiden it right away... but I can't wait to test her out.
warhead_71 is offline Find More Posts by warhead_71
Old Sep 10, 2007, 11:32 PM
Maple Grove, MN
Joined Jul 2002
177 Posts
Started my BB over the weekend. This is my first scratchbuild foamy, so I'm sure I have lots to learn. (I've built and flown several balsa gas models, but it's been quite a few years) I'm going with a 33 inch sport wing version.

The Lowes near me has the blue fan fold (Protection board I believe), but it looked terribly warped and wavy, and I'm concerned about building it straight, so I'm using Elmer's foam core board for the foam instead. Tonight I stripped the paper off the pieces, and it went much easier than I was expecting. Last night I was skimming the threads about that and it was sounding like a major pain. I used hot water in a shallow plastic tray (found at the hardware store, used normally for under water softeners or washers I think) after just a few minutes, the paper practically fell off. Hot water was really the key for me, since when it cooled down I had to rub a bit. A new batch of hot water and things went smoothly again.

Anyways, the weight of the foam with the paper was 9.25 oz, and now after stripping the paper off, the same components weigh 2.95 oz! I wasn't expecting that much of a change. Now I've got to go get some balsa or carbon to strengthen it again.
Pongo is online now Find More Posts by Pongo
Old Sep 10, 2007, 11:49 PM
Joined May 2007
3,919 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pongo
...Now I've got to go get some balsa or carbon to strengthen it again.
Bamboo skewers, the 1/8" or 1/4" kind you use to put a few shrimp on the barbie--that's the ticket. Scratch foamies like bamboo skewers. Go together like peas and carrots.
Old Sep 11, 2007, 12:15 AM
Registered Aircraft Offender
Carmichael, CA
Joined Feb 2007
3,537 Posts
kendall, that data logger sure sounds nice. i wouldn't mind owning one just for the altimeter.

paulo, i admit i'm not the handiest hotglue dude. i always seem to burn dimples in the foam with the tip of the gun, so i have adapted to using uhu for laminating, & to apply tack points along gorilla glue joints (foams other than epp). for epp, i use welder alone; imo it tacks up plenty fast by itself. if all else fails, i resort to good ole reliable T-pins (i have tons leftover from my balsa building days). whatever floats the boat i guess.

warhead, gj on your 48" kfm bb. ah, another oil qt. paint job looks sharp too.

pongo, too bad that lowe's blucor was warped. i'm sure you could convince one of the employees to order you a fresh bundle since their stock is unusable to you. btw, you're lucky you live in the midwest. we californians have to special order the stuff through less convenient suppliers.

kev

[the past couple weeks i've been feeling behind with testing the limits of my bbap1. if i could get a break from work i might actually have some daylight leftover to fly payloads & shoot for a personal endurance record. anything that interferes with flying sucks, including work.]
Truglodite is offline Find More Posts by Truglodite
Old Sep 11, 2007, 12:19 AM
Joined May 2007
3,919 Posts
A couple final shots of my BBAP1 BluEndurance. Moving the servos got my CG without batts to 38% cord--pretty darn close!

EDIT: Do you think she'll need spoilerons?
Last edited by tuppertn; Sep 11, 2007 at 12:30 AM.
Old Sep 11, 2007, 12:24 AM
Joined May 2007
3,919 Posts
Quote:
kendall, that data logger sure sounds nice. i wouldn't mind owning one just for the altimeter.
I needed a wattmeter. I wanted an altimeter. The Medusa unit starts right around $60 and a basic, LED-blinking, highest-altitude-only altimeter is $40. This got me both and some uber cool data logging for $91.