HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 17, 2009, 07:54 AM
did a reversed Immelman..once.
Novi, Michigan
Joined Nov 2002
2,249 Posts
Blu-baby nosejob..

very innovative Bill..it gives the BB a finished look.I also like the foam fuse w/built up balsa wing...I may have to build something similar.
SKYPILEIT is offline Find More Posts by SKYPILEIT
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 17, 2009, 09:15 AM
flying with pride
India
Joined Dec 2007
80 Posts
Great mess here,
Guys I have tried all the permutation combination possible with all the channels and reversed them but this thing isn't working!!
I put the transmitter on,made the throttle full on, powered the ESC, selected the mode by moving the throttle to OFF, unplugged the power of ESC and took the throttle to null position and the powered the ESC again and what I get is BEEP,BEEP,BEEP,BEEP,BEEP,BEEP,...
flyingbird is offline Find More Posts by flyingbird
Old Jun 17, 2009, 10:29 AM
Foam Junkie
USA, WV, Weston
Joined Nov 2006
98 Posts
Never give up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingbird
Great mess here,
Guys I have tried all the permutation combination possible with all the channels and reversed them but this thing isn't working!!
I put the transmitter on,made the throttle full on, powered the ESC, selected the mode by moving the throttle to OFF, unplugged the power of ESC and took the throttle to null position and the powered the ESC again and what I get is BEEP,BEEP,BEEP,BEEP,BEEP,BEEP,...
flyingbird. Let's look a little deeper and see what is going on. For safety's sake, REMOVE YOUR PROP. First, do your servos move when you are powered up? We won't worry about direction or what servo is on what channel just yet except make sure throttle is on channel 3. It is possible that your receiver is not getting a solid signal from the transmitter. With no signal, the ESC will not arm and will just beep. Make sure the Tx and Rx crystals are the same frequency. Remove and re-seat both crystals to make sure they are making good contact. Sometimes during shipping a crystal can vibrate loose just enough to be intermittant. Now, with the throttle all the way down, and the TRIM all the way down, and the PROP REMOVED, plug the battery to the ESC. What happens? Pay attention to the beeps, if any, and consult the ESC directions for a clue of what it is doing. Do the servos move when you move the sticks? If they do, you are getting signal to the receiver. If the ESC did not arm unhook the battery and turn off the transmitter. Move the throttle stick all the way up and move the trim full up. Turn on the transmitter and connect the battery to the ESC. Sometimes the sensitivity of the ESC is so that the trim has to be at the extreem for it to sense end of travel. What did it do this time? Did it do something different than it did with the throttle in the other direction? Do the servos move? Recheck your wiring from the battery to the ESC. Make sure the polarity is correct and you have good connections. Check the three wires going from the ESC to the motor. Make sure you have good solder connections there. After we get the motor running we will worry about it turning in the right direction. If it runs backwards, simply change any two wires going to the motor. Where do you live? You might want to find another modeler and have them take a look at it if you can not get things working. After you beat your head against the wall long enough it is easy to overlook something. A fresh pair of eyes might pick it right up for you. ThickThumbs ~ Anthony
ThickThumbs is offline Find More Posts by ThickThumbs
Old Jun 17, 2009, 02:29 PM
wave-off
Polska, Śląskie, Świętochłowice
Joined Aug 2006
138 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThickThumbs
flyingbird. Let's look a little deeper and see what is going on. For safety's sake, REMOVE YOUR PROP. First, do your servos move when you are powered up? We won't worry about direction or what servo is on what channel just yet except make sure throttle is on channel 3. It is possible that your receiver is not getting a solid signal from the transmitter. With no signal, the ESC will not arm and will just beep. Make sure the Tx and Rx crystals are the same frequency. Remove and re-seat both crystals to make sure they are making good contact. Sometimes during shipping a crystal can vibrate loose just enough to be intermittant. Now, with the throttle all the way down, and the TRIM all the way down, and the PROP REMOVED, plug the battery to the ESC. What happens? Pay attention to the beeps, if any, and consult the ESC directions for a clue of what it is doing. Do the servos move when you move the sticks? If they do, you are getting signal to the receiver. If the ESC did not arm unhook the battery and turn off the transmitter. Move the throttle stick all the way up and move the trim full up. Turn on the transmitter and connect the battery to the ESC. Sometimes the sensitivity of the ESC is so that the trim has to be at the extreem for it to sense end of travel. What did it do this time? Did it do something different than it did with the throttle in the other direction? Do the servos move? Recheck your wiring from the battery to the ESC. Make sure the polarity is correct and you have good connections. Check the three wires going from the ESC to the motor. Make sure you have good solder connections there. After we get the motor running we will worry about it turning in the right direction. If it runs backwards, simply change any two wires going to the motor. Where do you live? You might want to find another modeler and have them take a look at it if you can not get things working. After you beat your head against the wall long enough it is easy to overlook something. A fresh pair of eyes might pick it right up for you. ThickThumbs ~ Anthony

and charge the battery
Wuwu is offline Find More Posts by Wuwu
Old Jun 17, 2009, 02:59 PM
Arlington, MA
Joined Feb 2006
25 Posts
Banner towing with a BB42

I'm looking for advice on towing a mylar banner with my BluBaby 42. I meant to post in this thread but put it in the Scratchbuilt Foamies forum instead. If you have any experience or ideas about banner towing, please take a look at this thread and post any ideas there.

Thanks. --Dan
LexDM3 is offline Find More Posts by LexDM3
Old Jun 17, 2009, 04:10 PM
In Rc for a LONG TIME FFAA#1
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Jun 2004
1,375 Posts
it was a great day today

had some friends come over and we went flying, he had his 3 wings 2 electric and one nitro and electric bipe, and i had my super cub, my bb ap and my bb 24 the day was sunny and bright winds at about 12 knots, and a few other friends as well that had never seen rc planes fly!! i let my friend get his wings up and show the speed the need for speed with his 20" wing and then his 36" wing. then i went up with my bb 24 on 3s and had some issues, so i landed and then took up the bb ap 60" they could not belive how smooth it was and i was just hanging it on its prop for about 2 mins in the wind and it just sat there flying like a angel, then i swapped out the bb 24 from 3s to 2s and away she flew nice and steady no issues and this is the UC wing not a KF foil. and in the 12 knot winds it was great!!! heheh snap rolls inverted all the good stuff. then i went out with the bb ap and my bud tried it and it flew great for him as well it was great to see some one that never seen a kf in flight get some what interested in it

heres some pics
laserman is offline Find More Posts by laserman
Old Jun 17, 2009, 10:41 PM
"On the Wing"
Ohio
Joined Jul 2006
757 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill dewey
BB gets a nose Job!

This gets us to the
title of this lament + seeing Paulo 810s new built up wing and cowl. nice looking
build.

I built my cowl with epoxy, graphite and fiberglass the pictures tell the story.

Bill Dewey
Bill,
I looked at your pictures before I read the post and thought "That cowl looks a lot like mine". Then I was impressed with how good yours looks and your technique. You always do a great job.

I worked a little on installing my electronics this evening. Re-maiden could be this weekend if the winds die down.
paulo810 is offline Find More Posts by paulo810
Old Jun 18, 2009, 12:10 AM
flying with pride
India
Joined Dec 2007
80 Posts
I will never give up :)

I am using Laser4 Hitech transmitter, and corona receiver http://hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store...idProduct=6406
I have tuned the receiver to match with tx frequency.

Here is all what I did last night:
I tried in all four channels(with reversed as well), in every trial beeps are same, servos rotate a bit when I power up the ESC but after that they don't respond at all.

I have one spare ESC which I bought for some other purpose (http://www.castlecreations.com/suppo...user_guide.pdf)
But its only 6A max, to check whether my ESC is ok or not I connected this to my motor and battery. after powering it up, it was also in programing mode, but I could program it well as it was mentioned in the catalog. But finally this is also not running the motor and servos.
My doubts are:
1. Is there anything wrong with transmitter? (But it was able to program the second ESC very well)
2. Motor is gone? (How to check it?)
3. While powering up the tx all sticks should be in middle, isn't it?
4. How to fix all this....

I live in India, where finding an aeromodeller is very difficult
Last edited by flyingbird; Jun 18, 2009 at 12:17 AM.
Old Jun 18, 2009, 01:18 AM
Registered Aircraft Offender
Carmichael, CA
Joined Feb 2007
3,517 Posts
flyingbird,
Maybe you're not arming your esc? It's important to realize that in order to arm itself, the esc needs to see a "throttle off" signal from the rx. Only after it is armed will it spin the motor. Try powering up with the throttle all the way down (off). You may also have to move your throttle trim down to the bottom to get your esc to arm. It is also possible that you will have to reverse channel 3 (throttle channel). In fact Hitec is "Futaba style", so I'm pretty certain that your ch3 needs to be reversed.

As far as the servos not moving, that's not good. Even if your esc isn't armed, your rx should still be able to move servos. Double check that all the servo wires are plugged in the right way. If polarity was reversed while powered up, damage is likely. It's weird that the 6A esc would go through the programming yet the servos don't move. Sounds like it could be a bad tx or rx, but I've never heard of one that is otherwise bad, and ch3 still works?

Cheers,
Kev

[edit: Wait a minute, I just realized you're using an 8ch rx. First, be sure you're plugged in to channels 1,2,3,and 4 (aileron, elevator, throttle, and rudder respectively). With your tx, if your servos are plugged in to ch5,6,7,or 8, they simply can't move.]
Truglodite is offline Find More Posts by Truglodite
Last edited by Truglodite; Jun 18, 2009 at 01:40 AM.
Old Jun 18, 2009, 01:56 AM
Registered Aircraft Offender
Carmichael, CA
Joined Feb 2007
3,517 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by laserman
had some friends come over and we went flying, he had his 3 wings 2 electric and one nitro and electric bipe, and i had my super cub, my bb ap and my bb 24 the day was sunny and bright winds at about 12 knots, and a few other friends as well that had never seen rc planes fly!! i let my friend get his wings up and show the speed the need for speed with his 20" wing and then his 36" wing. then i went up with my bb 24 on 3s and had some issues, so i landed and then took up the bb ap 60" they could not belive how smooth it was and i was just hanging it on its prop for about 2 mins in the wind and it just sat there flying like a angel, then i swapped out the bb 24 from 3s to 2s and away she flew nice and steady no issues and this is the UC wing not a KF foil. and in the 12 knot winds it was great!!! heheh snap rolls inverted all the good stuff. then i went out with the bb ap and my bud tried it and it flew great for him as well it was great to see some one that never seen a kf in flight get some what interested in it

heres some pics
Good to hear the 24 and 60 are doing great. I know what you mean about flying a kf in front of hobbyists who haven't seen it before. Before flying they look at the wing for a second, then look at me like I'm an idiot. After landing they usually give it a long second look and say, "You wouldn't think such an non-aerodynamic wing would fly like that".

Cheers,
Kev
Truglodite is offline Find More Posts by Truglodite
Old Jun 18, 2009, 02:02 AM
Penang, Malaysia.
Joined Apr 2009
50 Posts
Full length EPP monobloc

Cut the monobloc last night using a hot wire. Motor mount fits perfectly in the cavity. Will do the tunneling for the pushrods tonight.
ToyStar is offline Find More Posts by ToyStar
Old Jun 18, 2009, 04:25 AM
flying with pride
India
Joined Dec 2007
80 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truglodite
flyingbird,
Maybe you're not arming your esc? It's important to realize that in order to arm itself, the esc needs to see a "throttle off" signal from the rx. Only after it is armed will it spin the motor. Try powering up with the throttle all the way down (off). You may also have to move your throttle trim down to the bottom to get your esc to arm. It is also possible that you will have to reverse channel 3 (throttle channel). In fact Hitec is "Futaba style", so I'm pretty certain that your ch3 needs to be reversed.

As far as the servos not moving, that's not good. Even if your esc isn't armed, your rx should still be able to move servos. Double check that all the servo wires are plugged in the right way. If polarity was reversed while powered up, damage is likely. It's weird that the 6A esc would go through the programming yet the servos don't move. Sounds like it could be a bad tx or rx, but I've never heard of one that is otherwise bad, and ch3 still works?

Cheers,
Kev

[edit: Wait a minute, I just realized you're using an 8ch rx. First, be sure you're plugged in to channels 1,2,3,and 4 (aileron, elevator, throttle, and rudder respectively). With your tx, if your servos are plugged in to ch5,6,7,or 8, they simply can't move.]
I have plugged in 1,2,3,4 channels only I have seen it working with same connections. I have cross checked every single connection many times, Is there any other way of checking the performance of tx and rx than replacing it with new one?
In case I order a new set which tx rx I should go for?

Channel 3, in reverse condition should be OFF in totally down condition with trim also down isn't it?
Last edited by flyingbird; Jun 18, 2009 at 04:47 AM.
Old Jun 18, 2009, 06:07 AM
For us He died, in me He lives
United States, MI, Saint Clair Shores
Joined Dec 2008
5,116 Posts
Bird, are there any hobby shops anywhere near you?

You mentioned that you thought that all sticks should be in the middle at powering up....
"3. While powering up the tx all sticks should be in middle, isn't it?"
NO NO NO.
Right stick, yes... that should be smack in the middle.

Trim tabs on side & bottom of right and left sticks, yes, they should be in the middle. but only if you have everything trimmed out right and we won't even go there until we get this esc figured out.

Left stick, which will always be the throttle on a plane....Always have that in the DOWN position. Which is OFF. Make sure it is down before you ever plug your planes battery in.
If it is even the slightest bit up, it will tell your esc to not let the prop spin and go into programming mode.
I have learned that if you go into programming mode when you are new to this hobby, and also when you are not aware you are going into programming mode, you WILL have problems figuring it out.
Thats why I asked about a good hobby shop that you can go to and hand everything over to someone who already understands this.

I had a Tower Pro Mag8 12 amp esc on my plane with a Blue Wonder 1300. I went through exactly what you are going through. I was finally fortunate enough to be able to sit down with 2 experienced flyers (Springer and bz1mcr) and go over it.
We found out with that particular esc & set up, I needed to wait until initial beeps were done, then do the programming sequence, then shut everything off and turn it all on again.
No problems from there. BUT..... if I have the throttle even a hair up when I plug the battery in with the TX on, (always turn tx on before plugging in the battery) the programming I already had is gone and we start all over again.

This stuff is crazy nutz to work with when you don't know how it works.

If you don't have a hobby shop and experienced pilot to look at your set up, I suggest this....
1. do you have a digital camera?
2. if you do, take a good picture of your transmitter all set & ready before you plug your battery in and post it here so we can look at your stick positions.
We will then be able to take your picture and draw on it if we need to.
3. if you have the camera and can take very good focused close ups, take a pic of your RX with the servo's and esc plugged in. Also take a pic of the side of the rx showing the - ,+, and signal icons with everything plugged in so we can make sure you have these plugged in correctly and not backwards.
NOTE... these are not newb friendly. They will plug in backwards. the "-" sign tells you were your negative on the connectors should be. Of the 3 wires, that will be either black or brown.

Keep in mind 1 thing... everyone who gets into the hobby and is unfortunate enough to not have someone right there to help goes through this. Those new who don't were just LUCKY the first time.

And if you do not have a hobby shop or experienced pilot to help you where you are, the next best thing is RC Groups.
I gotta go to work, but look through what I just said & post back.
I myself and still a newb but was fortunate enough to find RCG and find some good friends in my area that I now fly with.
There are others here helping you right now that know a lot more than I do.

Your best bet is to listen to them.

We will get you through this. No worries.

Good luck man.
Time to make the dough nuts.

Jimmy

ps...fella's, please chime in on this comment if anything I said is incorrect, I'm a newb still too and don't want to be the blind leading the blind!
Jimmy JFlyer is offline Find More Posts by Jimmy JFlyer
Last edited by Jimmy JFlyer; Jun 18, 2009 at 06:21 AM.
Old Jun 18, 2009, 06:16 AM
For us He died, in me He lives
United States, MI, Saint Clair Shores
Joined Dec 2008
5,116 Posts
I should have mentioned 1 thing, you could nhave all perfectly good equipment and if just 1 minor item is plugged in wrong, or the throttle stick is just a tad up at the wrong time, it WILL throw everything off and when you are not aware of why its happening it will seems like something is seriously wrong.
Lets make sure you have everything going as it should before you go & buy new stuff. Spending money when you don't have to is not good. Trust me on that one.
Jimmy JFlyer is offline Find More Posts by Jimmy JFlyer
Old Jun 18, 2009, 08:47 AM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,623 Posts
Just to add another question to the mix, you noted that you are in India, did you get the Transmitter from the US? It's possible you have a Mode1 setup and what we are discussing may not apply correctly. Mode 1 or 2 defines the location of the throttle stick on the transmitter. Mode 1 puts it on the right stick, Mode 2 puts it on the left. Mode 2 is used in US (and other places i'm sure). I'm not sure if the channel designation is the same regardless of mode (i.e. 1=aileron, 2=elevator, 3=throttle, 4=rudder). Someone familiar with the modes please chime in here. The easy way to tell mode is that all your stick movements should be self centering except one, that one is the throttle, and as noted several times above, that one should be kept "down" unless you are flying or powering up the motor.

Back to your earlier post: "I put the transmitter on,made the throttle full on, powered the ESC, selected the mode by moving the throttle to OFF, unplugged the power of ESC and took the throttle to null position and the powered the ESC again and what I get is BEEP,BEEP,BEEP,BEEP,BEEP,BEEP,..." In that sequence, you should have heard some kind of beep(s) when you connected the battery, turning on esc with throttle full up. Maybe one long beep. wait for the beep, but immediately after it, close the throttle. wait for another beep, then try increasing the throttle; you may get motor to function. (that sequence is typically used to tell the esc what "full throttle" is. If you hold at full throttle after that, it will go into programming mode - typically.

Now, what I just told you only will work if all connections are hooked up correctly for mode and channel. Check your tx reversing switches to see if they are labeled with "ch1 - Aileron" or something like that. That will confirm your sending the right signals to the correct servos. As the guys said above, double check the connections of servos & esc to rx, that the black (in black/red/white) or brown (in yellow/orange/brown) wire is going to the negative (-) location, and that the servos/esc are to the correct channels (the right end of your 8 ch rx - I have put them on the wrong end of a 6 ch rx and gotten some wierd results like motor at half trottle as soon as I plugged in the batt. not good! I always recheck now! Keep tinkering, you'll get it!
springer is offline Find More Posts by springer
RCG Plus Member