HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 07, 2007, 08:44 AM
Postcards From The Purple Edge
United States, OK, Sand Springs
Joined May 2007
3,919 Posts
Yeah, that was good stuff, kev. Never thought about PWM. Makes perfect sense. I love learnin'!

The battery for the BBB maiden was actually 2x 12C 1320mAh TP Prolites in parallel, each with about 50-60 cycles on a charger without balancing capability. My balancing charger isn't compatable with the TP charge plug. I'm not surprised they're a little weak under that much load at this point. The plan is wait for my wattmeter to arrive in the mail (either today or Monday) and test the 11x7 setup on 3s/2250 then prop down to 10x6 and 10x4.7 to see how they fare. I'll be happy with 50-60W/lb if it keeps the amp draw relatively low.

Still I'm tempted to just trash her and start over with a lighter airframe. I've got a BP21 sitting around with nothing to do right now.
tuppertn is offline Find More Posts by tuppertn
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 07, 2007, 10:12 AM
Ipoh, Perak Malaysia
Joined Jul 2006
3,929 Posts
I would advice you to get a balancing charger compatible with you batts asap.

chewy
chewytm is offline Find More Posts by chewytm
Old Sep 07, 2007, 10:13 AM
Ipoh, Perak Malaysia
Joined Jul 2006
3,929 Posts
Just as an observation. the 10x4.7 SF will probably draw more amps than the 10x6 on 3S

chewy
chewytm is offline Find More Posts by chewytm
Old Sep 07, 2007, 09:43 PM
Joined May 2007
3,919 Posts
Death of the BigBaby

Well, more retirement than death. Screw her. She's going in the dumpster. I built her, she flew once, now it's time to retire her "obese empennage". Kinda like the HK-1 Spruce Goose. Started cutting foam tonight on a real 52" BBAP1.

Do you think she has enough rudder authority to fly with a 96" KFm wing? I might beef up the rudder a bit to be sure.
Old Sep 07, 2007, 10:37 PM
Registered Aircraft Offender
Carmichael, CA
Joined Feb 2007
3,449 Posts
np kendall.

holy moley 96". she'll need more rudder. probably wouldn't hurt to make the elevator larger & the fuse longer too. heck, might even be ok to scale up bbap1. i'd try using the proportions of bbap1 w/ a 60" wing; ie: scale bbap1 plans to about 82" span, then lengthen the wing root to get a 96" span. i imagine this would work well, and it would be simpler than just "wingin it" using 52" plans.

btw, sorry to hear about your "spruce goose". to me, it's all good as long as it's flown at least once. good luck with your new bbap1 build. i'm sure the stuff you're learning in the groups will help you build a great flying bb.

regarding chargers, i agree that balancing is necessary if you want your lipos to last long (mine are lasting 8-14mo, many get daily flights). i made a jst to tp node adaptor to balance my tp lipos with an apache 505 balancer. i got the tp connector at a local e-geek shop called HSC (took me a half hour of sifting through 100's of SIP connectors to find it, so i bought a few & have extras).

fyi, a 2s2p2640 like you were using should be capable of over 30A continuous.

kev
Truglodite is offline Find More Posts by Truglodite
Old Sep 08, 2007, 09:23 AM
Joined May 2007
3,919 Posts
Here's what I have so far. Went with the standard size fuse and doubled the size of the control surfaces. She may be a little slow to respond, but I think she fly with the big wing. The wing is a 96" KFm, 50/8.5% step, full length CF spar. The jointer is a 6" length of 1/4" aluminum tube bent to get the 10" total dihedral. It flexes at the tips like a glider wing, but it's pretty stinkin' solid.

I had my BB32 flying with a 48" wing. This is a bit more of a stretch, but if it doesn't work I can cut the wing back some.
Last edited by tuppertn; Sep 08, 2007 at 09:28 AM.
Old Sep 08, 2007, 10:06 AM
Micro Flyer "Q"
United States, MD, Silver Spring
Joined Sep 2003
1,264 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuppertn
Here's what I have so far. Went with the standard size fuse and doubled the size of the control surfaces. She may be a little slow to respond, but I think she fly with the big wing. The wing is a 96" KFm, 50/8.5% step, full length CF spar. The jointer is a 6" length of 1/4" aluminum tube bent to get the 10" total dihedral. It flexes at the tips like a glider wing, but it's pretty stinkin' solid.

I had my BB32 flying with a 48" wing. This is a bit more of a stretch, but if it doesn't work I can cut the wing back some.
Just out of curiosity, what's the name of that cute looking thing in the foreground of the first pix? Are there any plans or is it available as a kit?
qban_flyer is offline Find More Posts by qban_flyer
Old Sep 08, 2007, 10:27 AM
I'm not flying backwards!
Oshawa, Canada
Joined Sep 2004
3,753 Posts
96"! NINETY SIX INCHES!!! Holy cow Kendall, I never did see a man carrying Blu-Baby before!!!

That's a seriously big airplane. It will fly, but what are you planning on powering this monster with? Are you planning on lifting a TV camera?

Tony
Tony65x55 is offline Find More Posts by Tony65x55
Old Sep 08, 2007, 11:26 AM
John 3:16
Dom. Rep.
Joined May 2003
3,825 Posts
That wouldn't be a 'Blu-Baby', but a 'Blu-Giant'!
Daddy-O
Daddy-O is offline Find More Posts by Daddy-O
Old Sep 08, 2007, 01:38 PM
Joined May 2007
3,919 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by qban_flyer
Just out of curiosity, what's the name of that cute looking thing in the foreground of the first pix?
That's my impression of a Pelcan-type pusher seaplane (note the floats under the wings). Like so many others it's still a work in progress. The camera angle's a little funny I guess because it actually has a 48" WS. No plans, just bits of this and that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony65x55
96"! NINETY SIX INCHES!!! Holy cow Kendall, I never did see a man carrying Blu-Baby before!!!

That's a seriously big airplane. It will fly, but what are you planning on powering this monster with? Are you planning on lifting a TV camera?
It's just a normal sized BBAP with a high aspect ratio wing. I didn't scale up the whole thing. Well, only because I had already finished the fuse when kev mentioned it or I certainly would have. This is the next stage in my quest for an hour-long flight. If I can carry 14oz worth of batteries then I just might make it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddy-O
That wouldn't be a 'Blu-Baby', but a 'Blu-Giant'!
"The Jolly BluGiant" or maybe "BluBaby BoT"

kendall
Last edited by tuppertn; Sep 08, 2007 at 03:16 PM.
Old Sep 08, 2007, 03:00 PM
Micro Flyer "Q"
Joined Sep 2003
1,264 Posts
Quote:
That's my impression of a Pelcan-type pusher seaplane (note the floats under the wings). Like so many others it's still a work in progress. The camera angle's a little funny I guess because it actually has a 48" WS. No plans, just bits of this and that.

kendall
Next to the "Jolly Blu Gigant" it looks tiny!

The Pelican is a nice looking bird, I like it. I love amphibians, especially flying boats, period!

Keep us posted on its progress, plzzz!
Old Sep 08, 2007, 03:09 PM
Joined May 2007
3,919 Posts
Quote:
I love amphibians, especially flying boats, period!
Me, too. When Tony posted the float plans for the BB42 I started using them as a starting point for amphib fuses. So far I have the Pelican-ish thing and a Sortastar (Sorta Northstar) started.
Last edited by tuppertn; Sep 08, 2007 at 03:20 PM.
Old Sep 08, 2007, 03:36 PM
registered foam addict
Munich, Bavaria
Joined Dec 2004
1,265 Posts
Hey Tony! anything new on the AP-Baby V2? did the double step fly differently from the single step foil?
cheers
chara
chara is offline Find More Posts by chara
Old Sep 08, 2007, 04:32 PM
Micro Flyer "Q"
Joined Sep 2003
1,264 Posts
Quote:
Me, too. When Tony posted the float plans for the BB42 I started using them as a starting point for amphib fuses. So far I have the Pelican-ish thing and a Sortastar (Sorta Northstar) started.
Sorry if I have deviated from the topic at hand, but amphibians and smaller planes are my weakness.

I have the parts for the junior BB already cut. Gotta finish my Clancy Yard Bee this evening before I tackle the BB, then onto an E-Flite JN-4. I am into smaller than 36" planes these days. Gotta look for the post with those floats on too.

I had a Sweet 16 back in the early 80s. It was a 16' kitted foamy with plywood reinforcement here and there; it was powered by an IC .60 and wing struts were a must for it to fly. It looked quite a bit like your "Jolly Blu Gigant", though it was brown in color. Quite a sight in the air, scary wihle on the ground.
Old Sep 08, 2007, 05:36 PM
Registered Aircraft Offender
Carmichael, CA
Joined Feb 2007
3,449 Posts
Quote:
Sorry if I have deviated from the topic at hand, but amphibians and smaller planes are my weakness.
you're not the only one. it's rare that a seaplane design works the first few tries. it's a bit surprising that there aren't more cookie cutter plans for floats & seaplanes on the groups. i've been debating on how i'll go about making removeable floats for my bbap 60". luckily i have a 12' pool in the backyard to do float tests on the massive plane (the bathtub's just too small).

kev
Truglodite is offline Find More Posts by Truglodite