HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 04, 2007, 09:18 PM
United States, OH, Westlake
Joined Mar 2002
4,519 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuppertn
Whoa! You won't lose sight of her! She'd look friggin' awesome flying under a blacklight.

Speaking of paint-related coolness, anyone ever tried a full glow-in-the-dark paint job?
I just saw glow-in-the-dark acrylic at Michael's and almost picked it up. Doesn't seem that it would be bright enough though.
kdahlhaus is offline Find More Posts by kdahlhaus
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 04, 2007, 09:36 PM
Postcards From The Purple Edge
United States, OK, Sand Springs
Joined May 2007
3,919 Posts
Possibly. It may have to be more of an industrial strength stuff like this .

There's also high energy glow tape that could be promising.
tuppertn is offline Find More Posts by tuppertn
Last edited by tuppertn; Sep 04, 2007 at 09:42 PM.
Old Sep 04, 2007, 09:48 PM
Ipoh, Perak Malaysia
Joined Jul 2006
4,011 Posts
Quote:
... I wish UH stocked a 2s bigger than 1800mAh.

Just use 2 of the 1800 with this cable:

https://www.unitedhobbies.com/UNITED...idProduct=2155

chewy
chewytm is offline Find More Posts by chewytm
Old Sep 05, 2007, 01:09 AM
Registered Aircraft Offender
Carmichael, CA
Joined Feb 2007
3,519 Posts
muidaq, nice ride! with that plane you might as well throw out disorientation as an excuse for crashing.

Quote:
... I watched longingly out the window at work.

I say again: poo-poo!

kendall
i feel your pain brother, i feel the pain... work & life always manage to leave me hanging when it comes to weather. it's just not fair.

glad things are looking up with your taxi test. that plane might come closer to 1hr than you'd think. during the last flight mine stayed up for 20min easily, and it was far from an endurance profile flight. i haven't taken a shot at 30min+ yet, but i'll bet it's cake even with my overpowered/overweight 3s2100 setup. throw in some decent thermals & 1hr is within reach. just make sure to prepare for endurance flights by drinking water, going potty, stretching thumbs, applying sunscreen... seriously, fatigue sets in fast once you pass 20min.

btw tony, this is better than national geographic. if it was like NG i'd never have fantasized about how that shot could've been taken from a bbap. the plaque?!?! i need some rodent bombs for my bbap now.

kev
Truglodite is offline Find More Posts by Truglodite
Old Sep 05, 2007, 04:37 AM
Ipoh, Perak Malaysia
Joined Jul 2006
4,011 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truglodite
... the plaque?!?! i need some rodent bombs for my bbap now.

kev

Hey Kev, please don't mention the "b" word or you might get ALL big sized (or even mid sized) models banned!

chewy
Old Sep 05, 2007, 06:27 AM
Joined May 2007
3,919 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chewytm
Just use 2 of the 1800 with this cable:
I made my own parallel cables, so I can use up to four bats (that's 5280mAH with the 2s stuff I have ). It's just that you save a little weight paralleling a couple big bats vs several small ones because of connectors/cables. Though I gotta say the TP Prolites are probably 25% lighter than other brand batteries of comparable capacity. There just not economical for pilots with budget constaints.
Old Sep 05, 2007, 06:51 AM
I'm not flying backwards!
Oshawa, Canada
Joined Sep 2004
3,753 Posts
Quote:
btw tony, this is better than national geographic. if it was like NG i'd never have fantasized about how that shot could've been taken from a bbap. the plaque?!?! i need some rodent bombs for my bbap now.

kev
Now, how about some nice rodent 'chutes and you could drop them into the back yards of people you don't like. Give the little critters 24 hours and the yard will look like the surface of the moon.

The taxi tests sound good and I think you discovered the reason I use tail skids!

Tony
Tony65x55 is offline Find More Posts by Tony65x55
Old Sep 05, 2007, 06:52 AM
Oshawa, Canada
Joined Sep 2004
3,753 Posts
Quote:
Hey Kev, please don't mention the "b" word or you might get ALL big sized (or even mid sized) models banned!

chewy
No kidding. Homeland Security is watching...
Old Sep 05, 2007, 10:20 AM
Joined May 2007
3,919 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony65x55
The taxi tests sound good and I think you discovered the reason I use tail skids!
Really! I guess sometimes a little drag is actually a good thing.
Old Sep 05, 2007, 11:43 AM
Joined May 2007
3,919 Posts
Okay, the BBB is flight ready. Maiden is tonight wind permitting.

To get her to balance with only 2x 1320 2s the batts had to go right up under her chin WAYYYY up front. Gonna have to make some adjustments to that area of the monoblock. The old battery bay will be nice for the camera though.

Tony, how did you mount your camera under the BBAP2?
Old Sep 05, 2007, 08:57 PM
Joined May 2007
3,919 Posts
BigBaby Maiden Report

The Boy had soccer practice tonight. I had a short window after dinner and before soccer to give her a go, so I counldn't wait for the wind to die down. My windsock, the rooftop flag on the neighbor's house, was snapping straight out. So it was very windy and the baseball park is down in a little bowl that makes for some funky multidirectional, swirly wind craziness until you get above the tree tops.

Last night with just the (more or less) streamlined fuse scooting around the street I had high hopes for her. Once the big UC wing went on, however, she slooooowed waaaaaay doooooown. The poor motor must have thought I entered it in a tractor pull. At WOT she got airborn after about a 50ft ground roll. It was hard to tell how to trim her because the wind just bounced her around. She did like to nose up so I'll be looking at the h-stab alignment or adding more downthrust. She could fly at 1/2 throttle, but I had to use a lot of throttle to fight the wind. This setup appears very amp hungry--perhaps the prop is a bit much. I maidened her with 2x 1320mAh 2s and unexpectedly hit the LVC after just 6 minutes. So much for my hopes for an hour of flight time. Didn't plan on trying to dead stick the landing in all that wind either. I probably should withhold judgement until I've tested a few prop/battery combos and taken her up in calmer air.

Anyway, my 6 y/o son shot some video of the second half of the maiden session. Trying to embed it now.
Last edited by tuppertn; Sep 05, 2007 at 09:05 PM.
Old Sep 05, 2007, 09:28 PM
Registered Aircraft Offender
Carmichael, CA
Joined Feb 2007
3,519 Posts
Quote:

chewy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony65x55
No kidding. Homeland Security is watching...
sheesh, ok ok. i'm no longer stockpiling nukes. i guess it's a good idea to avoid mentioning things that might be controversial. i'd never drop something that would harm anything or anyone, although the idea of dropping pests into the backyard of someone i don't like sounds entertaining.

kendall, what's your auw? mine's 22oz w/ a tp3s2100. i'm using a gws 8x4 hd with a bp21 (2408-21delta); plenty of reserve power.
Truglodite is offline Find More Posts by Truglodite
Old Sep 05, 2007, 09:51 PM
Joined May 2007
3,919 Posts
Quote:
kendall, what's your auw? mine's 22oz w/ a tp3s2100. i'm using a gws 8x4 hd with a bp21 (2408-21delta); plenty of reserve power.
42oz. The 9mm pink foam is probably twice the weight of the regular blue stuff. I started building this plane over a month ago when I knew nothing about RC and just wanted something bigger. Now I know next to nothing so at least that's a step up.

If my 2600mAh lasted only 6 minutes then my average draw was around 26A! I just don't see how I could have been drawing that much current on 2s unless it's just over propped. But, there's a thread here on this motor with folks swinging a 10x7 and only drawing 12.85A at 7V. I just don't get it.

kendall

here
here
here
Last edited by tuppertn; Sep 05, 2007 at 10:04 PM.
Old Sep 05, 2007, 11:13 PM
Oshawa, Canada
Joined Sep 2004
3,753 Posts
Wow Kendall, the Big Baby flies! Whoo-hoo...congratulations. Now you need to fly her in good conditions to figure out the trim and what that motor's doing. Are you on 2s or 3s?

Tony
Old Sep 06, 2007, 02:41 AM
Ipoh, Perak Malaysia
Joined Jul 2006
4,011 Posts
Good flight, Kendall, but I think you need a bigger motor. You are over-working the motor in the wind.

chewy