SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 03, 2007, 08:36 PM
Postcards From The Purple Edge
United States, OK, Sand Springs
Joined May 2007
3,919 Posts
There's couple of sample vids from my camera here, post #39. The Boy was shooting for me, but you can get an idea of the quality.
tuppertn is offline Find More Posts by tuppertn
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 03, 2007, 10:30 PM
Joined May 2007
3,919 Posts
The BigBaby

Okay, here she is in all her macrosomic glory. She's not Tony's well-planned BBAP plane. She's just an original BB scaled up 200% with ruler, protractor, calculator and 4" monoblock.

Du-bro nylon hinges on the rudder, strapping tape for the elevator hinge. LG are 1/4" CF tube with .078 music wire axles all PU'd into the fuse slot just like the original. After building a 6' Telemaster Electro recently I took a hint and gave her a steerable tail wheel. She got a coat of Krylon H2O ivory on top and red on the undersurfaces for visibililty.

Birth stats:

WS= 64"
Wing area= 675 sq.in.
Weight= 35.3oz (w/o batts)
Wing loading= ~8.5oz/sq.ft.
Setup: HXT 35-36-100; 11x7 APC-E; 40A OEMRC ESC, 2x HXT9317BB 15.5g servos, AR6100 receiver
Batt options: up to 4x 1320 2s 12C TP Prolites (2.2oz each--probably need at least 2 for the amps) or 2250 3s 15C Chinese cheapo (6oz )
AUW= 40-50oz

She's much heavier than expected due to the weight of the 9mm pink stuff. On the plus side it's very stiff. I'm putting a lot of trust in the 56" 1/4x1/2 spruce spar. I'm going to watch the wing loading in the air very closely. Depending on how it looks it's very likely she'll get a set of struts. What's more I've built her a 39", 10oz set of floats. She'll definitely need struts for that.

I like to try to balance without batts, but she absolutely would not. Couldn't get enough gear into the nose to level her out. On the plus side (assuming the wings don't break off) with the double 2" monoblock the electronics bay has a private bath and walk-in closet. I could easily loft a guinea pig-sized beastie...or perhaps a small Yorkshire terrier.
Last edited by tuppertn; Sep 03, 2007 at 10:54 PM.
Old Sep 03, 2007, 11:03 PM
Registered Aircraft Offender
Carmichael, CA
Joined Feb 2007
3,537 Posts
very nice kendall! hehe, that bb32 fits under it's wing.

since it looks like you're going to end up using struts, you probably won't need the spar once they're installed. not sure how 9mm pink compares with 6mm blue, but my 6mm blue with struts/no spar is plenty stiff & sturdy.

i like the cf LG struts & tail wheel also. i never used cf struts until last week when i maidened my infineon bipe; they're quite durable. btw, i ended up using .093" piano wire struts to fix the nose over problem i had with the thinner 0.064" wire. a bit heavier, but way more husky.

floats too? cool, i was thinking about doing that a while ago but got in to other projects before i could design/build them. let us know how she floats.

-kev
Truglodite is offline Find More Posts by Truglodite
Old Sep 04, 2007, 12:32 AM
I'm not flying backwards!
Oshawa, Canada
Joined Sep 2004
3,753 Posts
Wow Kendall, that's a jumbo BB. From my first AP BB I found I needed struts with the UC wing. The problem: WING FLUTTER!!!!! As soon as you picked up some sped with the nose down it flapped like Gertrude the Seagull. Obviously, that wasn't going to last long so I got four struts on it right away. Problem solved. Big heavy bird with a camera and a 60" wing and she floated like a slow stick. You'll love it. Nice job.

Tony

PS: Here's a pronghorn for ya!
Tony65x55 is offline Find More Posts by Tony65x55
Old Sep 04, 2007, 12:44 AM
Registered Aircraft Offender
Carmichael, CA
Joined Feb 2007
3,537 Posts
tony, nice pic. was it taken from the air? those groundhogs (or whatever they are) don't seem to be bothered at all by your presence.

-kev
Truglodite is offline Find More Posts by Truglodite
Old Sep 04, 2007, 01:43 AM
John 3:16
Dom. Rep.
Joined May 2003
3,825 Posts
Yep, that's pretty cool that you can see one right over the center of the pronghorn's back. Good picture!
Daddy-O
Daddy-O is offline Find More Posts by Daddy-O
Old Sep 04, 2007, 05:59 AM
I'm not flying backwards!
Oshawa, Canada
Joined Sep 2004
3,753 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truglodite
tony, nice pic. was it taken from the air? those groundhogs (or whatever they are) don't seem to be bothered at all by your presence.

-kev
No, it was taken from the ground. He was walking through a prairie dog town and stopped to pose. You usually don't get them that close. The Pronghorn Antelope, for those that wish to know, is North America's fastest land mammal. They can run at 60 mph and slow down to 20mph to graze and breed. They are North America's only member of the camel family. They do not fly (even with encouragement.)

This is just like National Geographic! HAHA

Tony

Tony
Tony65x55 is offline Find More Posts by Tony65x55
Old Sep 04, 2007, 06:46 AM
Joined May 2007
3,919 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony65x55
He was walking through a prairie dog town...
Careful...prairie dogs carry Yersinia pestis--the PLAGUE!
Old Sep 04, 2007, 06:36 PM
Mike
USA, OH, Westerville
Joined Aug 2007
301 Posts
Say hello to my little friend, "The Dayglow Avenger BB".

Thanks to all who offered info and advice. Now if my UH shipment would ever arrive...

Mike
muidaq is offline Find More Posts by muidaq
Old Sep 04, 2007, 07:15 PM
Joined May 2007
3,919 Posts
Arrgghhhh! Link broken..can't...see...pic! I hate it when that happens.

Poo-poo! I had hoped to maiden the BigBaby tonight, but I had no sooner left work, got home and got changed when I got called back in. Now I don't have enough light left to get her flight ready. Wouldn't you know it after a windy day there were perfect maiden conditions tonight. I watched longingly out the window at work.

I say again: poo-poo!

kendall
Last edited by tuppertn; Sep 04, 2007 at 08:27 PM.
Old Sep 04, 2007, 08:02 PM
Mike
USA, OH, Westerville
Joined Aug 2007
301 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuppertn
Arrgghhhh! Link broken..can't...see...pic! I hate it when that happens...
I'm not sure what the problem with embedding pbase images in vbulletin is. I've had that issues over on northamericanmotoring.com before as well. Let's try this...

(the wing and horiz stab really are straighter than it looks )
Old Sep 04, 2007, 08:07 PM
Joined May 2007
3,919 Posts
Whoa! You won't lose sight of her! She'd look friggin' awesome flying under a blacklight.

Speaking of paint-related coolness, anyone ever tried a full glow-in-the-dark paint job?
Old Sep 04, 2007, 09:12 PM
Joined May 2007
3,919 Posts
BigBluBaby taxi test

Took the BBB out under the street lights to taxi test with the steerable tail wheel. I left the wing off to avoid any Tony-esque "oops-it's-flying" episodes.

Works amazingly well! Trouble is she doesn't want to stop once she gets rolling. I tested as high as ~20% throttle (because that's all I had the cojones for) and she was haulin' arse down the street. On 2s no less. She was easily up to rotation speed. I don't think she's going to need much to keep her in the air with this setup. 3s could conceivably give even her big fanny better than a 1:1 power to weight ratio and about 130W/lb.

I'm hoping she'll float at around 1/4 throttle with some trimming. I ordered the Eagle Tree Micrologger and altimeter expander a few days ago. When that gets in I'll be able to tweak the setup a bit for max runtime. It may be wishful thinking, but I'm seriously gonna try for a one-hour flight. If she's floaty enough she just might do it. I wish UH stocked a 2s bigger than 1800mAh.
Last edited by tuppertn; Sep 04, 2007 at 09:32 PM.
Old Sep 04, 2007, 09:30 PM
Mike
USA, OH, Westerville
Joined Aug 2007
301 Posts
Ooh, blacklight photography. Might have to try that.
Old Sep 04, 2007, 10:01 PM
AMA 14680
Northern Nevada
Joined Mar 2007
1,581 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by muidaq
I'm not sure what the problem with embedding pbase images in vbulletin is. I've had that issues over on northamericanmotoring.com before as well. Let's try this...

(the wing and horiz stab really are straighter than it looks )
Mui... Too cool. Fantastic. Bob
Foamenator is offline Find More Posts by Foamenator