HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 10, 2007, 07:37 AM
I'm not flying backwards!
Oshawa, Canada
Joined Sep 2004
3,753 Posts
May 9th, a day that will live forever in foamy infamy. In a totally unrelated incident, the Kid and I decided to go Blu-Baby flying, he with his 40" Blu-Baby Park and I with my Blu-Baby AP with the 52" Slow Sport wing on. I also took my 60" flying wing (I was feeling big yesterday)

I even decided that I would film it for you guys as the big girl cavorted and danced through the spring skies at dusk.

1. The camera batteries were dead

2. The flying wing's transmitter batteries were dead.

3. I was content to fly the BBAP-52SSW (Blu-Baby AP with the 52" Slow Sport wing) (it handles like a big, slow Formosa).

I had a really fun time. I chased some seagulls and practiced a bunch of aerobatics. I practiced slow flight and did a couple of really slow spot landings with full flaperons.

I was at 200', boring holes in the sky when suddenly, the Kid yells out, "I'm dead! I'm dead!". Naturally I turned to see what was the matter as with the Kid, that statement could mean anything from having a glitch to ramming a school bus full of nuns. I quickly ascertained that he had hit LVC (using one of my good Polyquest packs no less!)and was successfully gliding in.

I immediately turned my attention back to my BBAP which was at 200" flying straight.

WRONG!!!! I was in a full power dive at 50 feet, going straight down!

Before I could utter, "Holy S**t" the BBAP smote the ground with a hideous crunch, scattering foam for 10 feet in all directions. It is TOTALLED, completely shattered from the nose to the rear wing saddle. The wing survived with only minor damage and I'm not sure about the electronics and the motor. Good to know the prop saver worked as the prop was only broken in three pieces. Thank God there was no camera on board.

After examination of the Black Box, I have determined the following: In my moment of inattention, the BBAP, with its ability to spot objects from great heights, saw a Lesser Spotted Tree Weevil walking along the grass at the edge of the ball diamond. Crying "Tora, Tora, Tora" it attempted to avenge FirstShirt's BB by killing said insect in the proscribed manner, the application of an electric propeller. As you well know, this is the only method approved by Environment Canada as well.

The Weevil has been determined to be dead. A 9x5" diameter smear was discoved under the carnage of the BBAP and has been thoroughly identified by forensic DNA analysis. FirstShirt is avenged. Transport Canada has set up an investigation team beside the impact crater.

Tony

PS: I turned to the SE5a to assuage my shattered senses. On final, I hit a wire. The SE5a spun around, plummeted to earth and actually landed on its wheels. No damage at all. WHEW!!
Tony65x55 is offline Find More Posts by Tony65x55
Last edited by Tony65x55; May 10, 2007 at 07:43 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 10, 2007, 07:43 AM
United States, OH, Westlake
Joined Mar 2002
4,493 Posts
Nearly spit the morning tea all over the keyboard.......
kdahlhaus is offline Find More Posts by kdahlhaus
Old May 10, 2007, 08:27 AM
Near Aberystwyth - Wales
Joined Aug 2004
2,116 Posts
I can see it now, Tree Weevils spread world wide and cause havoc.

Del
Del-Dredd is offline Find More Posts by Del-Dredd
Old May 10, 2007, 08:44 AM
Joined May 2006
2,854 Posts
Already here. There called Pine boreing beatles & have killed millions of trees in the south (USA) . But the story goes on. The forest service being smart as the army corp or engineers that filled lake Okeechobee with silt. Imported a Japanese Hornet to eat the beatles which promply found something else they liked better to munch on. The hornets are bad news and people have died from there bites. So there people in the modeling world Go ahead and kill the Spotted Tree Weevil with Kamikasi plane atacks
cause the US goverment might bring a foam eating roach and we would have to go plastic and the gas prices are high enough.

Ken
nubee 1 is offline Find More Posts by nubee 1
Old May 10, 2007, 08:59 AM
KZ RIDER
Confederate States of America
Joined Nov 2001
1,037 Posts
Okay, Orkin commercial is over
I need to see somemore build article and pictures
I'm really interested in some pictures and details on this "sportwing" version
your speaking of.
Thanks Ray
raythomas is offline Find More Posts by raythomas
Old May 10, 2007, 09:05 AM
Always Ready!
Chicago, IL
Joined Dec 2006
5,103 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by raythomas
Okay, Orkin commercial is over
I need to see somemore build article and pictures
I'm really interested in some pictures and details on this "sportwing" version
your speaking of.
Thanks Ray
I second that. I'm looking forward to seeing the 60" plans and build log. If you give me the plans, I'll try to do a build log... if I can remember to slow down to take pictures. I'm hoping this plane will be the perfect aileron trainer.
warhead_71 is offline Find More Posts by warhead_71
Old May 10, 2007, 09:27 AM
AMA 14680
Northern Nevada
Joined Mar 2007
1,581 Posts
Back to business

I don't know about you guys... but if I didn't have these unnatural flying events from time to time, I would run out of hanger space.
Foamenator is offline Find More Posts by Foamenator
Old May 10, 2007, 11:58 AM
USA, TX, Bullard
Joined Jan 2006
26 Posts
Blu-Baby 40in. Plans

Have the plans for the 40in. version been posted? I sure would like a copy.Thanks
LoneStar702 is offline Find More Posts by LoneStar702
Old May 10, 2007, 12:03 PM
Always Ready!
Chicago, IL
Joined Dec 2006
5,103 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamenator
I don't know about you guys... but if I didn't have these unnatural flying events from time to time, I would run out of hanger space.
Amen... and it's a good thing they are built of foam, makes it a bit easier to get back on that horse after you fall off. I have such a long list of planes I'd like to build that natural selection (or Darwinism) becomes a necessity
warhead_71 is offline Find More Posts by warhead_71
Old May 10, 2007, 12:17 PM
Joined May 2006
2,854 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneStar702
Have the plans for the 40in. version been posted? I sure would like a copy.Thanks
I'm interested also. My (34") Blu-Baby with removeable elevator is almost done and ready to put in a suitcase to take to Fla. I rolled my wing in one piece, added an inch cause I went 2" monoblock. Question is I'll need to 2 piece the wing. Thinking short piece of brass tube and CF spar.
I can put tubes on and then cut wing apart. Ideas anyone Im open.

Ken
nubee 1 is offline Find More Posts by nubee 1
Old May 10, 2007, 12:50 PM
AMA 14680
Northern Nevada
Joined Mar 2007
1,581 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nubee 1
I'm interested also. My (34") Blu-Baby with removeable elevator is almost done and ready to put in a suitcase to take to Fla. I rolled my wing in one piece, added an inch cause I went 2" monoblock. Question is I'll need to 2 piece the wing. Thinking short piece of brass tube and CF spar.
I can put tubes on and then cut wing apart. Ideas anyone Im open.

Ken
Ken... I'd make a one piece spar out of liteply with the dihedral built in. You could mount foam tracks for the spar in each wing section without adding much weight. The spar would slide into the tracks on each wing and set the dihedral. Hold the wing together with some velcro on the underside of the wing fitting between the fuse sides. Just a thought. Bob
Old May 10, 2007, 01:48 PM
You deserve my opinion
Collierville, TN
Joined Apr 2005
1,497 Posts
Guys, I've been following Tony's thread and have not seen the 40" version posted yet. I think that's in the future.

Personally, I like the way the 33" BB flies so much that I was considering just scaling it up 120-125%.
FirstShirt is offline Find More Posts by FirstShirt
Old May 10, 2007, 01:55 PM
You deserve my opinion
Collierville, TN
Joined Apr 2005
1,497 Posts
Tony, I'm soooo sorry to hear about the demise of your plane. Ouch! I hate it when that happens! But count yourself among Canada's true hero's for taking out that Lesser Spotted Weevil. (I had no idea they had spread to Canada!)

Bob, I think we can relax. Tony is definitely one of "us."
FirstShirt is offline Find More Posts by FirstShirt
Old May 10, 2007, 07:22 PM
AMA 14680
Northern Nevada
Joined Mar 2007
1,581 Posts
Wheres BB2?

Pat ... Is BB2 still airborne? I didn't take BB Birdog out today. After reading Tony's post I thought I'd let the Karma pass. Bob
Old May 10, 2007, 08:05 PM
Pickering, Ontario
Joined Aug 2004
135 Posts
Tony, sorry about your unfortunate evening. I'm sure there are a lot of us thinking that we were the only ones that fate would strike like that.
The last time I brought a bag of foam home, I commented to my wife that things had gone well. I now had all the parts I needed to build another plane.

GIAS
Glu it again Sam is offline Find More Posts by Glu it again Sam