Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Aug 30, 2007, 12:15 PM
Postcards From The Purple Edge
United States, OK, Sand Springs
Joined May 2007
3,919 Posts
My son is only 6, so I don't think he's quite real to take the sticks on his own yet. He can fly the heck out of just about anything on RealFlight G3.5--video game monkey that he is. Not exactly a good thing, though. The couple of times he's worked the BB sticks he got frustrated because he wanted it to handle like an Ultimate.
tuppertn is offline Find More Posts by tuppertn
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 30, 2007, 12:24 PM
Heli's don't fly voluntarily
United States, TN, Columbia
Joined Apr 2007
524 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuppertn
My son is only 6, so I don't think he's quite real to take the sticks on his own yet. He can fly the heck out of just about anything on RealFlight G3.5--video game monkey that he is. Not exactly a good thing, though. The couple of times he's worked the BB sticks he got frustrated because he wanted it to handle like an Ultimate.
Build him a Regal and let him go!
Kaos2 is offline Find More Posts by Kaos2
Old Aug 30, 2007, 02:56 PM
Mike
USA, OH, Westerville
Joined Aug 2007
285 Posts
I'm nearing completion of my 52" flat wing BB and I noticed the wing is quite flexible. Does the wing need to be more rigid than a single piece of foam? Does it need support and/or reinforcement? I got some wooden plant support sticks from the foam section of the craft store i was thinking of attaching along the bottom of the wing. Is this a good idea?

Thanks,
Mike
muidaq is offline Find More Posts by muidaq
Old Aug 30, 2007, 03:02 PM
Joined Apr 2007
524 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by muidaq
I'm nearing completion of my 52" flat wing BB and I noticed the wing is quite flexible. Does the wing need to be more rigid than a single piece of foam? Does it need support and/or reinforcement? I got some wooden plant support sticks from the foam section of the craft store i was thinking of attaching along the bottom of the wing. Is this a good idea?

Thanks,
Mike
Turn it into a top step KF airfoil. That will solve your wing flex issue, plus fly better than a flat plate.
Old Aug 30, 2007, 03:17 PM
Mike
USA, OH, Westerville
Joined Aug 2007
285 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaos2
Turn it into a top step KF airfoil. That will solve your wing flex issue, plus fly better than a flat plate.
Are there plans for the 52"kf?
muidaq is offline Find More Posts by muidaq
Old Aug 30, 2007, 03:49 PM
Joined Aug 2006
170 Posts
Servo for Ailerons:

Does this servo have to be beefier than the servos on the rudder/elevator? Any special considerations about where to locate it and to run the control rods?

Thanks,

elight50
elight50 is offline Find More Posts by elight50
Old Aug 30, 2007, 03:52 PM
Joined Apr 2007
524 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by muidaq
Are there plans for the 52"kf?
You don't need plans. Cut a hunk of foam that is 50% the size of your wing. Bevel the front with your Xacto on the top and bottom to a 45 degree angle. Get a piece of spruce 1/8" X 3/8" X 36". Measure 1/2 way back from your leading edge on the lower wing and glue the spar in centered. Lay your top foam on the spar. Edges should be flush with spar, leading edge, and of course wing tips. Glue the top foam to the spar. Use packing tape to secure the top to the bottom stock along the leading edge. Cut 3/8" foam filler for the gap between the spar and the wing tip and glue in place. You can aslo cut a wedge to fill the wing tip opening.

Look at the pictures in this thread.
Old Aug 30, 2007, 05:36 PM
Registered Aircraft Offender
Carmichael, CA
Joined Feb 2007
3,513 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by elight50
Servo for Ailerons:

Does this servo have to be beefier than the servos on the rudder/elevator? Any special considerations about where to locate it and to run the control rods?

Thanks,

elight50
typically yes, but if you're tail servos are overkill then maybe not.

to give you an example a 9gm servo works well on a 32"bb wing, but if you have 9gm servos on the tail then they're all the same size. on the other hand you can probably get away with 5gm servos on the tail of the 32" bb, in which case the 9gm wing servo would be "beefier".

it also depends on the wing config: 1 or 2 servo (ailerons or flaperons). for example, if a single 9gm servo works well for ailerons on a given wing, then obviously using 2@ 9gm servos on the same wing for flaperon control would be overkill/wasted weight. in this case 2@ 5gm servos would be a better/lighter fit, since 2@ 5gm servos put out the same or more torque than a single 9gm servo.

btw, what size were you building again, & are you using flaperons? (sorry, my short term memory is horrible)

-kev

[nm, it's 42" right? i'd use hs-55 (or similar) all around. when you are ready to convert to kfm you can add a second servo for flaperons & more aggressive controls, but a single 55 should be enough for now.]
Truglodite is offline Find More Posts by Truglodite
Last edited by Truglodite; Aug 30, 2007 at 05:42 PM.
Old Aug 30, 2007, 08:39 PM
Joined Aug 2006
170 Posts
Kev -

I was intending to build a 42 inch KF with ailerons. To be honest, I don't quite understand how to set up the third servo to operate the ailerons. A mini tutorial on ailerons and servo set up would be helpful.

thanks,

elight50
Old Aug 30, 2007, 09:30 PM
Joined May 2007
3,919 Posts
Put the third servo on the underside of the wing in the center (inside the fuse) close to the LE. Orient the servo along the long axis of the fuse. Use a double-arm control arm oriented parallel to the wing. You'll need to cut your ailerons so they are full span. Control horns go close to the fuse. Run a control rod from each arm to each horn forming a "V" shape pointing toward the nose of the plane. When the servo moves it pushes on one the control rod and pulls on the other moving the ailerons in opposite directions. You'll need to cut "windows" in the sides of the fuse for the control rods to exit out of. My digital camera doesn't work or I'd post a pic of mine, but here's a cheesy MSPaint diagram viewed from the underside of the wing.

EDIT: An aileron deflected upward will change the cord line to reduce that wings lift causing that wing to drop. A downward deflected aileron increases the lift of the wing causing the wing to go up. So just make sure your channel reversing is set so that the aileron on the side you're turning to goes UP, eg: left turn = left aileron UP
Last edited by tuppertn; Aug 30, 2007 at 09:51 PM.
Old Aug 30, 2007, 10:12 PM
John 3:16
Dom. Rep.
Joined May 2003
3,825 Posts
I was just weighing our new B-Baby and it comes in at 9.9 ounces without the landing gear wire. I do have the wheels included in the 9.9oz. I'm not sure how much the wire and glue to get it all in there will come to, but it looks like we are looking at a Baby that will about 11 ounces at birth. How does that compare to the other ones out there? Do I have a big baby, and normal sized baby or a small baby (not likely)?
Daddy-O
Daddy-O is offline Find More Posts by Daddy-O
Old Aug 30, 2007, 11:24 PM
Joined May 2007
3,919 Posts
Mine was 10.2oz with 1320mAh 2S and 24g motor. I added an ounce with the new motor so now I'm 11.3oz, but she flies much better.

11.7oz with the aileron wing.
Old Aug 31, 2007, 11:20 AM
Joined Aug 2006
170 Posts
The diagram answers may questions. Thanks again.

To all - have a great holiday weekend!

Elight50
Old Aug 31, 2007, 10:47 PM
Dom. Rep.
Joined May 2003
3,825 Posts
We just gave birth to our new baby (it's finished). It weights 10.8 to 10.9 oz (kinda flippin between the two) with the 2s 800 battery pack. It looks pretty good, but I bugered it up a little bit while finishing it up. It's not noticable at first glance though. I did something I've never done before. I connected both control horns to the elevator (didn't have anything on the rudder!). I couldn't believe it when I finished! It's all good though. I'll post some pre-maiden pictures tomorrow.
Daddy-O
Old Sep 01, 2007, 07:50 AM
Dom. Rep.
Joined May 2003
3,825 Posts
Here are the promised pictures. It flew just great! It lands very gently and predictably. My son and I were both very happy with the plane (especially my son!). Thanks for putting this out there for us Tony.
Daddy-O