HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 02, 2009, 01:51 PM
If it flies, I will crash it
USA, CO, Westminster
Joined Jan 2008
3,040 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony65x55
Thanks Rob. I missed you guys too. There won't be any new birds for a short while but wait'll you see what is on the drawing board.......

Tony
Wait a minute here. I was under the impression that you have been locked up in a steel vault somewhere in the middle of Canada so you wouldn't be interrupted while you worked on the next great BB design! Was I misinformed? What in the world else could you have been doing?

Can't wait to see what you have on the "Board". It really is nice to have you back.

Rob...
mxspode is offline Find More Posts by mxspode
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 02, 2009, 01:51 PM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,936 Posts
BluFFF is right on, Keep Film to outside!

Ken: would be cool to be able to help out. will have to start planning soon, The fellow who would want to go with, will prob only want to be there a day or so. Might have to be two trips for me. Ah what the hay, I'm retired . . . 'course also have to clear with "she who must be obeyed" 8^)

2100kv 6x3 is 2s for me, although I do have a 500mah 3s I haven't had the guts to try with her. She's plenty fast as is.

lastly, the Can-Am Flying association is waiting for it's inaugural meeting when you get the guys from Windsor you met at the swap meet together with us! 'course we have to invite Renns and Tony too!

(check the SeaBB thread)
springer is online now Find More Posts by springer
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 02, 2009, 01:52 PM
Albany, Or
Joined Jan 2009
162 Posts
windex and a toothbrush gets most of it off
Lowflyer52 is offline Find More Posts by Lowflyer52
Old Mar 02, 2009, 01:54 PM
Joined Feb 2009
14 Posts
Really? That would make my day. I just assumed that it would require a volatile solvent, and I know foam reacts to most solvents
Morgan2260 is offline Find More Posts by Morgan2260
Old Mar 02, 2009, 01:55 PM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,936 Posts
Rubbing alcohol also removes most of it. But I haven't tried the windex, will have to try it - Thanks Lowflyer!
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 02, 2009, 02:10 PM
If it flies, I will crash it
USA, CO, Westminster
Joined Jan 2008
3,040 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackerbes
"..Another and much better idea then using some partial throttle scheme would be to reverse the shaft and mount the motor in a gear box..."

Yeah, right. That really sounds like a "much better idea". To run a low Kv motor through a reduction gear instead of just flying at partial throttle.

With a low Kv motor you'd have to be careful or you might just be creating a static display because you can't get the prop turning fast enough to move the plane.

Rob, you're joking, right?

Jack
I missed this one, no I am not joking. It is basic mechanical theory and common practice in the R/C flight world. The easiast way to turn a larger prop with any motor regardless of KV is with a gear box. Besides, 2840 would not be considered a "Low KV" motor. I don't think advising him to run a 9" prop on a motor designed to run a 6" prop is a good idea. That is a short cut to a burned up motor. Manufactures give those specs for a reason. Frankly other then a re-wind which may not be able to produce the desired results it is the only way.

Morgan; My best advice to you is to ask your questions in the Power Systems forum. That is the best way to get good advice. Frankly you kind of ended up with the wrong motor for the job, however please note that renns has successfully flown his plane on a 7x4 cut down to a 6x4 so the plane will fly with that motor.

Rob...
mxspode is offline Find More Posts by mxspode
Old Mar 02, 2009, 02:30 PM
Joined Feb 2009
14 Posts
Yeah, Rob - mine flies great on either a 6x4 or a 6x3, and even those arent the "correct" props. They are Master Airscrews off of an old Cox engine. I'm perfectly happy with 5-6 minutes on a 360 mAh 2s.
Morgan2260 is offline Find More Posts by Morgan2260
Old Mar 02, 2009, 03:13 PM
Jack
USA, ME, Ellsworth
Joined May 2008
17,218 Posts
"..How are you guys getting the tape to stay stuck on th NON-film side of the pb3?..."

I use the Duck brand Standard grade clear package sealing tape from Wal-Mart. And I mask off a strip along the edge and spray a light coat of 3M 77 or Duro 01-81088-10 adhesive on. The strip is wide enough to cover most of the area the tape will cover, like 3/4" wide or so. You can get about four cans of the Duro for the price of one can of 3M 77 and it seems to work just as well. I get it at Lowes.

I do that for either the plastic side or the foam side. Let that dry 15 minutes or so and that Duck tape will not come loose. You can see the procuess described here in this build thread for the Zagnutz flying wing:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=2222

If the two pieces of foam are positioned on the tape so that they are at and 90 degree angle just as the tape starts pulling, it usually comes out pretty good.

"..I just wish that black print would come off somehow...."

On the black paint stuff, a little sanding with a 100-150 grit open sandpaper on a rubber sanding block will take most of that off. Enough that you won't see it through the colored tape anyway. Vacuum it afterward to get the black dust off. You can see the before and after here:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=2238

Jack
jackerbes is offline Find More Posts by jackerbes
Old Mar 02, 2009, 10:19 PM
Postcards From The Purple Edge
United States, OK, Sand Springs
Joined May 2007
3,919 Posts
Blu-Angel Baby Plans

Okay, I've been sitting in front of the computer for the last couple of hours justifying my "plans" with the actual plane. I think I've got it right now. At least all the measurements work out between the model and the plans.

Keep in mind that I haven't actually built directly from these plans so if you try it you'll essentially be "beta building". It's likely you'll find something that needs to be fixed. Just let me know.

kendall

EDIT: Plans re-posted to remove grid lines and add scale ruler. In case you got here from Tony's sticky thread, there are some pics here and a video here.
tuppertn is offline Find More Posts by tuppertn
Last edited by tuppertn; Mar 03, 2009 at 04:31 PM.
Old Mar 02, 2009, 10:45 PM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,738 Posts
Hey Kendall,

Thanks for taking the time.

Ken
dz1sfb is offline Find More Posts by dz1sfb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Mini H Quad Project
Old Mar 02, 2009, 10:46 PM
Geaux Saints
Grafton, Il
Joined Nov 2007
1,913 Posts
tuppertn

I'll post a link as beta plans for the moment. Then will update as needed.
Sound good?
Mike

You are now the newest member of Post #3 on the Tony thread.

All we need now is a build log with lots of pics!!!
Hopalong X is offline Find More Posts by Hopalong X
Last edited by Hopalong X; Mar 02, 2009 at 10:57 PM.
Old Mar 02, 2009, 11:02 PM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,738 Posts
Using Scale and Tile

Kendall,

Do you know how to turn off the grid lines this is alot of wasted ink. If you are not sure, this is how it is done. I am assuming you are using scale and tile. When you launch the application, just grab the bottom edge of the bar with the file name windows and pull down. This will expose the grid line and some other option boxes.

Ken
dz1sfb is offline Find More Posts by dz1sfb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Mini H Quad Project
Old Mar 02, 2009, 11:19 PM
I'm not flying backwards!
Oshawa, Canada
Joined Sep 2004
3,753 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dz1sfb
Tony,

What, where, when, and how about this Can-Am Flying Association?

Ken
Well Ken, I'm kinda open to suggestions. As for the Can-Am Flying Association, it really doesn't need to be much more than a contact list/social club. It's supposed to be FUN!!!!! Here's some other events in the Windsor/Detroit area this summer.

June 13: Red Bull Air Races on the Detroit River. I was there for last year and WOW!!! Can those guys fly!

July 18 & 19: Thunder over Michigan - Willow Run Airport

Aug 29 & 30: Major Air Show at the Windsor Airport
Tony65x55 is offline Find More Posts by Tony65x55
Old Mar 02, 2009, 11:21 PM
I'm not flying backwards!
Oshawa, Canada
Joined Sep 2004
3,753 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuppertn
Really? It's a re-drawn BB42 done in the Navy Blue Angels color scheme. I just didn't have the stuff to make the big yellow "US NAVY" under the wings. Nothing more sinister than that.

kendall
Actually Kendall, I got that part. I was poking a funny at you regarding beans and lighters.

Tony
Tony65x55 is offline Find More Posts by Tony65x55
Old Mar 02, 2009, 11:22 PM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,936 Posts
Verrrrry interesting! combining one of those events with a foamy fly-in. Verrrrrrrrrry interesting!
RCG Plus Member