SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 09, 2007, 08:07 AM
I'm not flying backwards!
Oshawa, Canada
Joined Sep 2004
3,753 Posts
Ray, Pat's post is right on the money. Cut the fuse with the curved wing saddle if your are using the 4-40 airfoil, flat with the optional KFm airfoil. As to dihedral, don't sweat it. Anywhere from 1" per tip to 2.5" per tip will fly fine. The Blu-Baby has LOTS of rudder authority as it was originally designed to fly indoors with huge, nasty concrete walls looming up everywhere. In fact most people find it too responsive and tone it down some.

Brad, I'm unfamiliar with EPE but I'm willing to learn.

Tony
Tony65x55 is offline Find More Posts by Tony65x55
to remove ads between posts
Old May 09, 2007, 10:29 AM
You deserve my opinion
Collierville, TN
Joined Apr 2005
1,497 Posts
BB2 Maiden flight

Got out early this morning to fly my new BB. (Of course I have to check it out before giving it to my friend who is learning to fly! ).

Wow! It was great! Temp was perfect. Zero wind. BB did a sweet ROG, flew staight and steadily gained altitude. Just a couple of clicks of up-trim and everything was looking super. Flew around for a few minutes. The plane felt like it was on rails (always wanted to say that!). Did a neat little T&G and was back in the air.

And then...........I had a stupid-attack (no other way to explain it) and put the plane in my neighbor's tree! Ouch! No point in explaining it. Just bad piloting!

And...the plane is still in the tree! Looks like there's a good possibility that a good wind will bring it down, so I'm not going to try any heroics, potatoe guns, etc. LOL!

So...all I can say is that the plane flew beautifully...and I didn't!

Just good reason to build another one...maybe a Bird Dog?!

Can't wait to tell my friend...

Good news: I finished your plane and it flew beautifully. It's perfect!
Bad news: You're going to have to get it out of a tall oak tree!

FirstShirt is offline Find More Posts by FirstShirt
Old May 09, 2007, 12:25 PM
AMA 14680
Northern Nevada
Joined Mar 2007
1,581 Posts
BB Birddog Flys.... Does Not Cartwheel Well

Following FirstShirts tradition. BB Birddog took off straight and true. Made a couple of fly bys and trimmed things out. Too much power for this plane so I'll get it more appropriate power setup. Now comes the pilot error part Came in too fast. caught the gear on the pitchers rubber resulting in at least a double gainer cartwheel breaking off about four inches of the starboard wing. Being overly confident... I didn't carry any repair materials to the field so it was back home for quick repairs and a beer. BB Birdog flys again tomorrow a.m. Bob
Foamenator is offline Find More Posts by Foamenator
Old May 09, 2007, 12:42 PM
You deserve my opinion
Collierville, TN
Joined Apr 2005
1,497 Posts
Bob,

I feel your pain. I knew you had trouble when I read the first sentence of your post! Sorry, but after my boner, I just had to laugh at yours. Maybe it's a good thing we don't fly on the same field. LOL! And just think, we did all this with a "Primary Trainer!" Hehehehe.

Trust you'll get that beauty back in the air in the morning! I'll let you know if mine makes it down.

Pat
Old May 09, 2007, 01:07 PM
AMA 14680
Northern Nevada
Joined Mar 2007
1,581 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstShirt
Bob,

I feel your pain. I knew you had trouble when I read the first sentence of your post! Sorry, but after my boner, I just had to laugh at yours. Maybe it's a good thing we don't fly on the same field. LOL! And just think, we did all this with a "Primary Trainer!" Hehehehe.

Trust you'll get that beauty back in the air in the morning! I'll let you know if mine makes it down.

Pat
Pat... Look at the bright side... your BB2 is accumulating a lot of air time. As I told my wife... this crash wasn't my fault. The diamond I usually use was being watered so I went next door and the backstop on that field prevented me from landing into wind. Not only that; I explained, the unusally high pitcher's mound created an unforseen thermal causing me to overcorrect and clip the pitching rubber; and in addition, the grounds keepers were derelict in making repairs to the rubber before I flew this morning. I hope she understands it's a jungle out there. Oh well... it's back to the P6E this afternoon. Bob
Old May 09, 2007, 03:11 PM
You deserve my opinion
Collierville, TN
Joined Apr 2005
1,497 Posts
Bob,

Glad to see that you too have mastered the fine art of creative reality!

Actually, I am having fun with this. Check the thread I started on "Give me your best excuse for landing in a tree." Your last post would fit right in!

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=683559

Praying for just the right gust of wind.

Pat
Old May 09, 2007, 05:08 PM
I'm not flying backwards!
Oshawa, Canada
Joined Sep 2004
3,753 Posts
You guys... What am I gonna do with you guys? You build these great planes and then you have a "dumbthumb" attack. First time I ever heard of a thermal from a pitcher's mound that sucks planes DOWN. Almost as bad as those suicide trees that leap out into the path of oncoming aircraft. "Boreal Chicken" huh?

Tony
Tony65x55 is offline Find More Posts by Tony65x55
Old May 09, 2007, 07:55 PM
Frankenstein recycled packs
USA, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Jan 2006
8,805 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nubee 1
I think EPE is that foam thats a lot like EPP but not as flexable and real strong. I have seen it and always wondered if you could use it but after seeing EPP being used anything goes. But I think EPP is ugly. And thats my $0.02 USD

Ken
EPE is more flexable than EPP. We call it Ethyl at our field. LOL. I would only use it on a fuse between or outside of FF, never on wings or tail surfaces. It would take way too much stiffening to make it work without adding a lot of weight.

Rick
www.commonsenserc.com
rampman is offline Find More Posts by rampman
Old May 09, 2007, 08:15 PM
AMA 14680
Northern Nevada
Joined Mar 2007
1,581 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony65x55
You guys... What am I gonna do with you guys? You build these great planes and then you have a "dumbthumb" attack. First time I ever heard of a thermal from a pitcher's mound that sucks planes DOWN. Almost as bad as those suicide trees that leap out into the path of oncoming aircraft. "Boreal Chicken" huh?

Tony
Tony...I know it's hard to believe. I think it has something to do with the winds blowing off Lake Tahoe. They say it's called "Foamie Fantom Feenomeenom" FFF for short. Snatched that little BB out of the sky and bounced her like a tennis ball. LOL Bob
Old May 09, 2007, 10:02 PM
teched88
SW PA
Joined Feb 2007
344 Posts
Looks like I'll have to add this to the list! Nice plane
Subscribed
teched88 is offline Find More Posts by teched88
Old May 09, 2007, 10:06 PM
You deserve my opinion
Collierville, TN
Joined Apr 2005
1,497 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony65x55

Tony
OK, Tony, here's what happened...

I was passing my neighbor's house when I happened to look in his tree and noticed a Lesser Spotted Tree Weevil. As you know the Lesser Spotted Tree Weevil can reduce a mature tree to sawdust in days. So as a neighborly act I took it upon myself to rid the neighborhood of this tree destroying monster.

Knowing that the mating call of the Lesser Spotted Tree Weevil is very similar to the sound that a small electric plane makes, I pulled out my brand new Blu-Baby Primary Trainer. By flying close to the tree I managed to entice it out. My next act was to attempt to kill the Lesser Spotted Tree Weevil by hitting it with the propeller. (As you know this is the only method approved by the EPA, National Forest Service and OSHA for killing Lesser Spotted Tree Weevils).

Unfortunately I only managed to wing the weevil, not kill it outright. A maddened Lesser Spotted Tree Weevil is a dangerous creature. But disregarding my own safety I pursued the Lesser Spotted Tree Weevil into the depths of the tree where I managed to administer the coup de grāce with the recommended electric prop.

Unfortunately the model was so far into the tree by now it was impossible to fly it out. But that is not important. What is important is that I saved my neighbor's tree and possibly most of the trees in the area. So, just think of me as a hero.

(Thanks to Punkie for this excuse! http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=683559&pp=20)
Old May 09, 2007, 10:18 PM
AMA 14680
Northern Nevada
Joined Mar 2007
1,581 Posts
We'd better let up

Pat ... We had better let up. Otherwise we'll never get another design out of Tony. Personally I'm trying to go straight . I've been off the foam fumes for two hours now. Bob
Old May 09, 2007, 10:51 PM
Use whatcha got!
Metairie, LA
Joined Sep 2000
2,982 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamenator
...I've been off the foam fumes for two hours now. Bob
You poor guy! You might want to try keeping a few square inche of foam in your pocket, or on a string around your neck so you can always get a few fumes...

-ms
msmith is online now Find More Posts by msmith
Old May 10, 2007, 12:50 AM
John 3:16
Dom. Rep.
Joined May 2003
3,825 Posts
You guys are pretty funny! I usually keep some foam on my person somewhere, and some tape stuck to the bottom of my shoe. You never know when you might need it.
Daddy-O
Daddy-O is offline Find More Posts by Daddy-O
Old May 10, 2007, 07:12 AM
You deserve my opinion
Collierville, TN
Joined Apr 2005
1,497 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamenator
Pat ... We had better let up. Otherwise we'll never get another design out of Tony. Personally I'm trying to go straight . I've been off the foam fumes for two hours now. Bob
Careful, Bob. Withdrawal can do do funny things to the mind.

Then again, you may have a point. I have a feeling like I've been throwing spitballs in the back of a classroom. Anyway I look at it, this is a FUN hobbie! (Even when my plane is stuck in a tree!)

OK, I'm ready to talk abou the Blu-Baby again!