HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 30, 2007, 05:04 PM
azkeith
Nampa ID
Joined Feb 2005
130 Posts
42" BB

Kaos 2 thank you, I got the plans printed. I plan to start building this BB also.
I will build the mono block a bit different as I am not going to mount a camera but will use it for the rear bulkhead. then have plenty of room for batt & electronics. Is a CG range of 25-30% with a 50% KFm wing a good range?
What is a reasonable weight range w/o motor & batt please.
azkeith is offline Find More Posts by azkeith
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 30, 2007, 07:21 PM
Heli's don't fly voluntarily
United States, TN, Columbia
Joined Apr 2007
524 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by azkeith
Kaos 2 thank you, I got the plans printed. I plan to start building this BB also.
I will build the mono block a bit different as I am not going to mount a camera but will use it for the rear bulkhead. then have plenty of room for batt & electronics. Is a CG range of 25-30% with a 50% KFm wing a good range?
Keith, the recommended CG range for a 50% KF step is 38% - 40%. Mine is roughly half way between the two. As far as the weight minus motor and battery, I can't be sure, but I think mine was between 12 - 13 oz.
Kaos2 is offline Find More Posts by Kaos2
Old Jul 31, 2007, 05:16 AM
You deserve my opinion
Collierville, TN
Joined Apr 2005
1,497 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by azkeith
I think Kaos is right-on regarding the weight. I just weighed my 42" BB with a KF wing and ailerons. Weight is 13.4 w/o battery. The motor and mount is 2.1 oz, so that would take it down to 11.3 oz w/o battery and motor. Given the lift of this plane, you could easily add a few more oz and still be very "reasonable."
FirstShirt is offline Find More Posts by FirstShirt
Old Jul 31, 2007, 05:21 AM
You deserve my opinion
Collierville, TN
Joined Apr 2005
1,497 Posts
Gotrek, Great looking Blu-Baby! When it comes to scratch building, there's nothing like using what you have on hand. Looking forward to your flight report! Pat
FirstShirt is offline Find More Posts by FirstShirt
Old Jul 31, 2007, 06:04 AM
It's a trap!
Brisbane, Australia
Joined Feb 2006
3,143 Posts
Cheers. Actually the use of the SlowStick wing was completely unplanned. I had originally counted on making a wing out of depron. I had printed and cut out the paper templates and was holding them up against my sheet of depron to see if they'd fit. The SlowStick wing was leaning against the wall next to the depron and I realised that it was much the same size as the wing template. I held it up against the fuse template and bingo! - it was almost a perfect match. I'd previously trimmed down the back of the wing in preparation to add ailerons, but I never got around to it and left it gathering dust in the corner. Just goes to show you should never throw anything away!

I'm hoping to have a Futaba 9CAPS soon (possibly by the end of the week). I found one place that seems to have the best price in Oz, I'm just waiting to hear back from them.
GotrekGurnisson is offline Find More Posts by GotrekGurnisson
Old Jul 31, 2007, 12:02 PM
azkeith
Nampa ID
Joined Feb 2005
130 Posts
32"BB flt report & ?'s

Yes this nubie flyer needs help getting my BB set up. Below are results of e flights this morning early- no wind.
Specs. AUW=15oz, wing=flat KFm 3/4"KF@50%.elev. deflection=1/2"pwr E-flite 400 w10/4.7 prop. incidence=4deg 2 flights, 2deg 3 flights.
Take off is good climbs very well, very sensitive to elevator and rudder, power on 1/2-3/4 T gains or maintains alt power off nose down drastic up elevator it jerks up. Turns=shallow ok turn a bit more and drops the low wing and into a spin that is difficult for me to catch, did catch it twice, 3rd time spun in. During landings reduce power and nose down at about 45 deg and difficult to land going fast and not able to flare.
Anyone have ideas how to set the plane up? What am I missing other than talent or knowledge. Thank you in advance.
Old Jul 31, 2007, 02:06 PM
I'm not flying backwards!
Oshawa, Canada
Joined Sep 2004
3,753 Posts
Sounds like you have it flying very well. With most aircraft, a turn of more than say, 10 degrees, requires holding a little up elevator to keep the nose up in the turn. Sounds like your CG might be a little far forward OR you need a little more motor down thrust as she is dropping her nose in a power off glide a bit too much. However, if you move the CG back you will INCREASE the sensitivity of your elevator and rudder, perhaps too much so. I would not move anything but instead, land with a little power or hold a little back stick in the glide.

Tony
Tony65x55 is offline Find More Posts by Tony65x55
Old Jul 31, 2007, 02:09 PM
Oshawa, Canada
Joined Sep 2004
3,753 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by plasticpaul
I am building the 44" version for my daughter for her B-day. I used the KFM wing and I was wondering if a GWS EPS-350C is enough power for it? I want it to fly slow and easy for her to learn on.
The GWS 350 (C) with a 1080 prop is perfectly adequate to fly this plane as a trainer. This is the motor in the original 42" BB.

Tony
Old Jul 31, 2007, 09:32 PM
azkeith
Nampa ID
Joined Feb 2005
130 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony65x55
Sounds like you have it flying very well. With most aircraft, a turn of more than say, 10 degrees, requires holding a little up elevator to keep the nose up in the turn. Sounds like your CG might be a little far forward OR you need a little more motor down thrust as she is dropping her nose in a power off glide a bit too much. However, if you move the CG back you will INCREASE the sensitivity of your elevator and rudder, perhaps too much so. I would not move anything but instead, land with a little power or hold a little back stick in the glide.

Tony
I dont think I made myself clear it is not flying very well or I am not flying well I do hold up elevator in a turn & if the wing drops more than about 20-30 down it FLIPS into a spin augered it in from about 75 feet could not recover. Probably me but the plane at this point is very touchy in my hands. Most of my experience has been SloStick, Easy Star and Super Star. I do want to work on and get this plane to fly as a trainer. Right now it feels expert.
I will move CG aft see if that helps if not I will add down thrust. One step at a time. Also going to try to meet with expert and let him fly it.
Thank you for the help.
Old Jul 31, 2007, 10:46 PM
Ipoh, Perak Malaysia
Joined Jul 2006
3,968 Posts
Azkeith, do you have dihedral in your wings? If so, how much? As a rudder-only trainer, you must have adequate dihedral, otherwise, you can't turn it properly and have it self recover when you release the rudder.

chewy
chewytm is online now Find More Posts by chewytm
Old Jul 31, 2007, 11:00 PM
azkeith
Nampa ID
Joined Feb 2005
130 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chewytm
Azkeith, do you have dihedral in your wings? If so, how much? As a rudder-only trainer, you must have adequate dihedral, otherwise, you can't turn it properly and have it self recover when you release the rudder.

chewy
Yes 11/2" . It does not recover so I know it is out of trim, have checked the alignment of all surfaces on the bench and they are per plan plumb & square.
Will keep working on the challenge.
Old Aug 02, 2007, 05:41 AM
Micro Brushless crazy
India, Bangalore
Joined Jul 2002
1,009 Posts
One of the lightest BL Blue baby's??! Here's mine at less that 10gms AUW:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...83#post7914093

Thanks for the plans Tony.

-Uttam
Uttam1 is offline Find More Posts by Uttam1
Old Aug 02, 2007, 12:04 PM
Postcards From The Purple Edge
United States, OK, Sand Springs
Joined May 2007
3,919 Posts
weight/thrust

Heh-heh.

I just bought a $40 postal scale at Staples and rigged up a cheesy thrust scale by balancing the plane inside a cardboard frame nose down on the scale.

Found out my AUW is 10.6oz and my Park 300 (1oz., BlueWonder-ish thing) on 2S (1320mAh, 2.2oz.) swinging an 8x3.8 APC-E puts out 5.2oz at WOT.

Tony always said the thing would fly with 4oz., but I need more power...

EDIT: Can it be assumed that if I go to 3S and increase the voltage by 50% that thrust will increase ~50% as well?

EDIT-EDIT: The BB snags another new pilot! In post #753 I mentioned my father's first ever flying experince with the BB. He solo'd for real the next day. He bought a DX7 while he was here visiting and yesterday he dropped $300 for a Mini Telemaster and gear (guess he didn't trust himself to do the scratchbuilt thing).
tuppertn is offline Find More Posts by tuppertn
Last edited by tuppertn; Aug 02, 2007 at 12:46 PM.
Old Aug 02, 2007, 01:57 PM
Oshawa, Canada
Joined Sep 2004
3,753 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uttam1
One of the lightest BL Blue baby's??! Here's mine at less that 10gms AUW:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...83#post7914093

Thanks for the plans Tony.

-Uttam
WOW! Man, that is the littlest, lightest BB ever done, for sure. Have you flown it yet?

Tony
Old Aug 02, 2007, 02:00 PM
Oshawa, Canada
Joined Sep 2004
3,753 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuppertn
Heh-heh.

I just bought a $40 postal scale at Staples and rigged up a cheesy thrust scale by balancing the plane inside a cardboard frame nose down on the scale.

Found out my AUW is 10.6oz and my Park 300 (1oz., BlueWonder-ish thing) on 2S (1320mAh, 2.2oz.) swinging an 8x3.8 APC-E puts out 5.2oz at WOT.

Tony always said the thing would fly with 4oz., but I need more power...

EDIT: Can it be assumed that if I go to 3S and increase the voltage by 50% that thrust will increase ~50% as well?

EDIT-EDIT: The BB snags another new pilot! In post #753 I mentioned my father's first ever flying experince with the BB. He solo'd for real the next day. He bought a DX7 while he was here visiting and yesterday he dropped $300 for a Mini Telemaster and gear (guess he didn't trust himself to do the scratchbuilt thing).
"More power Mr. Scott!" (sigh) Your 3s lipo will definitely give you more power, I dunno about 50% but certainly more. Don't forget, it needs a different prop with 3s.

Congrats on your Dad's solo. How come you didn't make him a BB?

Tony