SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 21, 2007, 08:18 AM
I'm not flying backwards!
Oshawa, Canada
Joined Sep 2004
3,753 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamenator
I forgot to tell you the most important thing.... Pat's in charge of production, airframe stress measurement and test flying. I'm the marketing and idea guy. I think we will call the first production model "The Pole-n-ator" since Pat has already developed a video highlighting the theme. I think we will be a great team... Bob
The greatest! The Rutan brothers will be shaking in their boots! (the Wright brothers will be rolling in their graves)

Tony
Tony65x55 is offline Find More Posts by Tony65x55
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 21, 2007, 08:19 AM
Heli's don't fly voluntarily
United States, TN, Columbia
Joined Apr 2007
524 Posts
Many of the people who frequent the Blu-Baby thread will remember when I put a KF wing with ailerons on the Blu-Baby (I think I was the first). That original KF Blu-Baby continues to be one of my favorite planes to fly. I was so impressed with the KF wing that I designed an aerobatic plane around that airfoil (another first), the Regal. Then, after some discussion with Dick Kline, I created an experimental version of the Regal that included a stepped fuselage, along with the KF stepped wing. I was able to get a maiden flight in on this experimental Regal last night, and get video as well. Video of Regal Maiden Flight This experimental Regal flies and handles just like the original. I will be performing ongoing tests to determine the impact (if any) of the stepped fuselage.

The Regal goes where you point it and keeps going that way until you tell it to do something different. The KF wing ensures great handling at all Regal speeds. With reduced control throws, I think the Regal would be an excellent next step after one has mastered an aileron trainer. You can fly this plane in a very docile manner, but it's capable of so much more when you're ready.

I hope Tony forgives me for this shameless commercial in his Blu-Baby thread
Kaos2 is offline Find More Posts by Kaos2
Old Jul 21, 2007, 08:22 AM
Postcards From The Purple Edge
United States, OK, Sand Springs
Joined May 2007
3,919 Posts
Dad had his first shot at the BB this morning. I was out flying earlier and it was pretty windy. 60-70% throttle, nose into the wind, and about the best I could do was stay stationary. Several times I was actually flying backwards relative to the ground.

I took off and got up around 200ft and handed him the box. Took him less than 15 seconds to get it downwind and into the ground. In his defense it was very windy. Not good solo conditions. After a few repairs we tried again. This time there was so much wind sheer that, even in my experienced hands, no matter which direction I pointed the nose it kept knocking me down. Had to give it up. We'll try again this evening conditions permitting.
tuppertn is offline Find More Posts by tuppertn
Old Jul 21, 2007, 08:34 AM
Oshawa, Canada
Joined Sep 2004
3,753 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaos2
Many of the people who frequent the Blu-Baby thread will remember when I put a KF wing with ailerons on the Blu-Baby (I think I was the first). That original KF Blu-Baby continues to be one of my favorite planes to fly. I was so impressed with the KF wing that I designed an aerobatic plane around that airfoil (another first), the Regal. Then, after some discussion with Dick Kline, I created an experimental version of the Regal that included a stepped fuselage, along with the KF stepped wing. I was able to get a maiden flight in on this experimental Regal last night, and get video as well. Video of Regal Maiden Flight This experimental Regal flies and handles just like the original. I will be performing ongoing tests to determine the impact (if any) of the stepped fuselage.

The Regal goes where you point it and keeps going that way until you tell it to do something different. The KF wing ensures great handling at all Regal speeds. With reduced control throws, I think the Regal would be an excellent next step after one has mastered an aileron trainer. You can fly this plane in a very docile manner, but it's capable of so much more when you're ready.

I hope Tony forgives me for this shameless commercial in his Blu-Baby thread
No forgiveness necessary Rich, the Regal is a superb aircraft and I totally agree. After you cut your teeth on the Blu-Baby, both primary and aileron, the Regal would be an outstanding choice to hone your skills to a razor edge.

Tony
Old Jul 21, 2007, 08:36 AM
Oshawa, Canada
Joined Sep 2004
3,753 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuppertn
Dad had his first shot at the BB this morning. I was out flying earlier and it was pretty windy. 60-70% throttle, nose into the wind, and about the best I could do was stay stationary. Several times I was actually flying backwards relative to the ground.

I took off and got up around 200ft and handed him the box. Took him less than 15 seconds to get it downwind and into the ground. In his defense it was very windy. Not good solo conditions. After a few repairs we tried again. This time there was so much wind sheer that, even in my experienced hands, no matter which direction I pointed the nose it kept knocking me down. Had to give it up. We'll try again this evening conditions permitting.
Sounds like the weather conditions were impossible. Try again later!

Tony
Old Jul 21, 2007, 03:37 PM
You deserve my opinion
Collierville, TN
Joined Apr 2005
1,497 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony65x55
The greatest! The Rutan brothers will be shaking in their boots! (the Wright brothers will be rolling in their graves)

Tony
Well, it doesn't paid to get behind in this thread! Never know what you might be volunteered to do!

Bob, I'm more than willing to handle the test flights. Stress tests are my specialty. If there's a flaw, I'll find it.

I was thinking of calling our plane the "Polecat," but "Pol-n-ator" also has a nice ring to it. I'm in touch with the firm of Crasher, Basher and Smasher to do a little market research for us.

I'd suggest we price our plane at all-the-market-will bare + 10%. With a little luck, we could be bringing in big bucks like Tony with his original Blu-Baby. I'd be willing to split the dough 70/30.

Pat
FirstShirt is offline Find More Posts by FirstShirt
Old Jul 21, 2007, 08:37 PM
Postcards From The Purple Edge
United States, OK, Sand Springs
Joined May 2007
3,919 Posts
Dad flew the BB about an hour ago. Conditions were much better this time--very light breeze, winds aloft were light and steady. I took him up to 200-ish feet let him have it. Aside from a couple of scary moments ("I can't see what it's doing" as it spins plummeting to earth) he did very well. Circled above the park for the better part of 15 minutes. He has trouble with orientation coming head-on and generally moves the sticks too much, but he flew.

I should mention that he went and bought RealFlight G3.5 this afternoon. He spent more than a few minutes practicing on the BLT Park Flyer. Cool game-sorta-thing. Very addicting. Really makes me want to revisit my aileron wing.

So, Tony, I thank you and my father thanks you. Good times!
tuppertn is offline Find More Posts by tuppertn
Old Jul 21, 2007, 11:06 PM
Oshawa, Canada
Joined Sep 2004
3,753 Posts
Hey Tupp, I'm glad you and your Dad had fun. Sounds like he did very well once the wind stopped blowing.

Tony
Old Jul 21, 2007, 11:13 PM
Oshawa, Canada
Joined Sep 2004
3,753 Posts
OK folks, you asked for it and I did it. Voila! One set of floats for the 42" Blu-Baby. Enjoy!

Tony
Old Jul 22, 2007, 07:27 AM
essex u.k
Joined Sep 2005
89 Posts
Blu Baby 33

Just completed and painted yet to maiden fitted with Tower Pro BM2408-21T, 25A ESC, 1300mah 3s Lipo. Can someone suggest the best prop for this setup...
Thanks
hologram is offline Find More Posts by hologram
Last edited by hologram; Jul 22, 2007 at 12:26 PM.
Old Jul 22, 2007, 08:09 AM
AMA 14680
Northern Nevada
Joined Mar 2007
1,581 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstShirt
Well, it doesn't paid to get behind in this thread! Never know what you might be volunteered to do!

Bob, I'm more than willing to handle the test flights. Stress tests are my specialty. If there's a flaw, I'll find it.

I was thinking of calling our plane the "Polecat," but "Pol-n-ator" also has a nice ring to it. I'm in touch with the firm of Crasher, Basher and Smasher to do a little market research for us.

I'd suggest we price our plane at all-the-market-will bare + 10%. With a little luck, we could be bringing in big bucks like Tony with his original Blu-Baby. I'd be willing to split the dough 70/30.

Pat
Pat... As usual you are way too generous giving me 70% of the take. Since you are handling production costs, labor, liability insurance, etc.,and even though I realize the priceless value of my marketing and creative skills I think we should split the profits 50-50. Once again, I appreciate your generosity.

Let's get going... Not to put any pressure on you and your production team I do feel I should point out there are only 156 days to Christmas. Your partner Bob
Foamenator is offline Find More Posts by Foamenator
Old Jul 22, 2007, 08:38 AM
You deserve my opinion
Collierville, TN
Joined Apr 2005
1,497 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamenator
I think we should split the profits 50-50.
"What we got here is...failure to communicate." -The Captain, Road Prison 36, "Cool Hand Luke"
FirstShirt is offline Find More Posts by FirstShirt
Old Jul 22, 2007, 02:21 PM
Always Ready!
Chicago, IL
Joined Dec 2006
5,139 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hologram
Just completed and painted yet to maiden fitted with Tower Pro BM2408-21T, 25A ESC, 1300mah 3s Lipo. Can someone suggest the best prop for this setup...
Thanks
Best prop for that motor on 11V is GWS 8x4.

What wingspan is yours?
warhead_71 is online now Find More Posts by warhead_71
Old Jul 22, 2007, 03:02 PM
essex u.k
Joined Sep 2005
89 Posts
Its the 33" I have an 8X4 on it at the moment so ill give that a try when I maiden it...
hologram is offline Find More Posts by hologram
Old Jul 22, 2007, 04:05 PM
Always Ready!
Chicago, IL
Joined Dec 2006
5,139 Posts
that should be more than plenty... in fact - you should have no problem doing acrobatics.
warhead_71 is online now Find More Posts by warhead_71