Oshawa, Canada
Joined Sep 2004
3,753 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ginodouglas
Tony

I couldn't find the plan for kfm3 wing for BB24, do you know where is it

Thanks, Gino
There isn't one. I could easily create one if you folks would like although a KFm2 would be more suited to this size?

Tony
Tony65x55 is offline Find More Posts by Tony65x55
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 03, 2008, 11:42 AM
MacBeth, SC
Joined Aug 2007
899 Posts
Hey Roadsplat,
Thanks for posting the url for the FMS additions. Lots of good ideas there for
scratchbuilts. I assume these are FMS downloads. I have FMS loaded on this
computer. How easy is it to download and access these files? Keeping in mind
that I am long in tooth but shy in technology attributes.*G* Warm regards, Jim
Jim Hatch is offline Find More Posts by Jim Hatch
Old Sep 03, 2008, 12:05 PM
Taubate, SP, Brazil
Joined Aug 2007
66 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony65x55
There isn't one. I could easily create one if you folks would like although a KFm2 would be more suited to this size?

Tony
Tony

A KFm2 would be great! Sorry for the trouble.

Gino
ginodouglas is offline Find More Posts by ginodouglas
Old Sep 03, 2008, 12:06 PM
Foam Fighter and a Bloody Mick
Hermann, MO
Joined Jul 2008
393 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Hatch
Hey Roadsplat,
Thanks for posting the url for the FMS additions. Lots of good ideas there for
scratchbuilts. I assume these are FMS downloads. I have FMS loaded on this
computer. How easy is it to download and access these files? Keeping in mind
that I am long in tooth but shy in technology attributes.*G* Warm regards, Jim
Roadsplat, thanks from me too, those are some of the best flying planes for FMS I have found yet.
Jim, yes, those are downloads for the software. The way I install them is:
1-download the zipfile
2-open zipfile
3-copy the "usually" 5-6 files in the folder
4-paste files in location MyComputer/programfiles/FMS/models

I think thats right, i'm at work right now, so I can't check. Also, if you find any landscapes, its almost the same thing, but you use the "landscapes" folder instead of "models". or is it called "scenes", anyway, you probably get the point, if not, we'll get some picture instructions posted. Not kidding.

Tim
grenadapult is offline Find More Posts by grenadapult
Old Sep 03, 2008, 12:13 PM
MacBeth, SC
Joined Aug 2007
899 Posts
Thanks Tim,
Much appreciated. Gotta get stocked up today for possible hurricane this weekend.
Vittles, water, batteries and med's. If ya wait too long, it's all gone. But I'll be
trying out some of those planes tonight if I can get them downloaded and working.
Thank you sir! Good food for thought on some of those designs. Gets my creative
juices flowing. Makes me want to start cutting blue fff.*G* Warm regards, Jim
Jim Hatch is offline Find More Posts by Jim Hatch
Old Sep 03, 2008, 12:32 PM
Taubate, SP, Brazil
Joined Aug 2007
66 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SergeyK
I used 32" kfrm3 plan from the first page of this thread and just scaled it to 24" wingspan, preserving existing plane's chord.

If you want, I can create a sketch with sizes I used.

Sergey.
Sergey

It would be fine, thanks a lot. I am bulding my second BB24, but I can't figure out how you made your only 109g. My first one have 150g, I am trying hard to get this one to 120g.

Gino
ginodouglas is offline Find More Posts by ginodouglas
Old Sep 03, 2008, 02:22 PM
United States, NY, Kings
Joined Feb 2006
892 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ginodouglas
Sergey

It would be fine, thanks a lot. I am bulding my second BB24, but I can't figure out how you made your only 109g. My first one have 150g, I am trying hard to get this one to 120g.

Gino
Ok, I'll do that when I get home. As for the weight, I used lighter motor and servos and I suspect the foam is lighter as well than the meat trays.
But the kfm3 wing will definitely be much heavier than the UC one.

Sergey.
SergeyK is online now Find More Posts by SergeyK
Old Sep 03, 2008, 03:05 PM
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Jun 2008
72 Posts
pink baby wings

I need some help. I've read over 40 pages of this thread and got all excited about making a Blu Baby BUT I could find no FFF so I built the fuse out of styrofoam and the 3/8 " pink stuff. I made some wings too but as I tried to bend them booth of them cracked. they cracked because my efforts to bend them didn't seem to be working so I kept applying more and more force and, sure enough, they cracked (bedning over conter edge.) So my question is: is there a suitable foam for wings that I can buy, say from RCFoam.com? I'd appreciate suggestions on what kind and what thickness I should get. BTW, this is for the 33" ws model.

Thanks. I'm eagerly anticipating making this plane.

Further BTW, Tony, as I built it, I was very impressed with the carefulness and cleaverness of it's design. Thanks.
Ondaweb is offline Find More Posts by Ondaweb
Old Sep 03, 2008, 03:18 PM
Washington MO
Joined Jul 2008
567 Posts
ok something else I would like to see if someone here can explain better. when looking at props for my motor this is how they are listed

The GWS EP9050 prop produces about 32 ounces of thrust at 22.5 amps with a pitch speed of 46 mph. Avoid constant wide open throttle.

that's an example. not a prop I am considering lol.

I understand the thrust and the amps I don't know what the pitch speed means for sure tho. anyone able to explain that for me a little bit?

and I will PM you Hopalong later tonight. let me check with the wife and make sure she wont mind the date I have in mind

thanks again guys
Jon
jhtitan is offline Find More Posts by jhtitan
Old Sep 03, 2008, 03:29 PM
Hermann, MO
Joined Jul 2008
393 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ondaweb
I need some help. I've read over 40 pages of this thread and got all excited about making a Blu Baby BUT I could find no FFF so I built the fuse out of styrofoam and the 3/8 " pink stuff. I made some wings too but as I tried to bend them booth of them cracked. they cracked because my efforts to bend them didn't seem to be working so I kept applying more and more force and, sure enough, they cracked (bedning over conter edge.) So my question is: is there a suitable foam for wings that I can buy, say from RCFoam.com? I'd appreciate suggestions on what kind and what thickness I should get. BTW, this is for the 33" ws model.

Thanks. I'm eagerly anticipating making this plane.

Further BTW, Tony, as I built it, I was very impressed with the carefulness and cleaverness of it's design. Thanks.

I built two BB33's out of Elmer's Foamboard from Walmart. You can get about a plane a sheet, if you're careful with the layout. It even makes a wonderful UC wing.
the hard part is getting the paper off. First i tried water, that sucked, then I read about alcohol, that was a littl better, but IMHO, just pull it. there IS a trick in the techniques, and you have to be really careful not to crack or split it, but the best foam surface i had from everything I tried, was grab n' go. I just start at a corner, where its probably no biggy to tear the foam a little and pull up the paper. Once I get it going, I lay it flat and start pulling it. i developed that techinque by accident. You HAVE to do it that way at the end if you're hold the paper in one hand and the foam in the other. Make sense?
Old Sep 03, 2008, 03:30 PM
Joined Oct 2004
789 Posts
Simulators

On the following site you can also download a lot of Free Scenaries, planes, helicopters etc.

http://www.rc-sim.de/index_en.htm
MadDuc is offline Find More Posts by MadDuc
Last edited by MadDuc; Sep 05, 2008 at 01:42 AM.
Old Sep 03, 2008, 03:44 PM
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Jun 2008
72 Posts
You HAVE to do it that way at the end if you're hold the paper in one hand and the foam in the other. Make sense?[/QUOTE]

I don't understand this sentence. Could you explain in more detail?
Ondaweb is offline Find More Posts by Ondaweb
Old Sep 03, 2008, 03:58 PM
Hermann, MO
Joined Jul 2008
393 Posts
Quote:
You HAVE to do it that way at the end if you're hold the paper in one hand and the foam in the other. Make sense?

I don't understand this sentence. Could you explain in more detail?[/QUOTE]

I was afraid that may have sounded vague. I just make sure that the paper is folded all the way back onto itself when pulling.
if you lay the board flat, and pull the paper straight up, it will crack the foam.
I just hold the foma in one hand, paper in the other, and start pulling. the first sheet i crackedbadly, the 2nd went flawless on both sides. I think this foam is a little less durable than BluCor, but alot prettier when its blank.
Better?

I'm sure glad i'm finally getting a chance to try to be helpful with as much help
as I have gotten here!
Old Sep 03, 2008, 04:10 PM
Ipoh, Perak Malaysia
Joined Jul 2006
4,011 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhtitan

I understand the thrust and the amps I don't know what the pitch speed means for sure tho. anyone able to explain that for me a little bit?

Jon
To understand pitch speed, just imagine the prop as a screw (an airscrew). Eg take a prop with a 7" pitch rotating at 8000 rpm.

For every revolution of the prop, it would theoretically (in a perfect world) go forward 7". If you ignor slippage etc etc blah blah

So, at 8000rpm, it would go forward 8000 x7" /12" = 4,666.7 ft/min

This is about 4,666.7 ft/min x 60 min/hr /[ (3 ft/yd) * (1760 yd/mile)] = 53mph.

Hope that makes it clearer.

chewy
chewytm is offline Find More Posts by chewytm
Old Sep 03, 2008, 04:12 PM
United States, NY, Kings
Joined Feb 2006
892 Posts
Quote:
So my question is: is there a suitable foam for wings that I can buy, say from RCFoam.com? I'd appreciate suggestions on what kind and what thickness I should get. BTW, this is for the 33" ws model.
I like the foam sheets from http://www.bphobbies.com/view.asp?id=V603330
I used 3mm for BB24, for 33 you probably want 5mm (or a mixture of 3 and 5 for different parts).
This foam is covered with plastic film on both sides making it sturdy. I pealed the film off from under the wing to make it curve more easily (one side peals more easily than the other).

Sergey.
SergeyK is online now Find More Posts by SergeyK