HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 08, 2007, 04:41 PM
John 3:16
Dom. Rep.
Joined May 2003
3,825 Posts
That Blu Baby Bird Dog looks great! You did an excellent job painting it. It looks like it is going to fly like...well....a Blu Baby Bird Dog should!

Thanks, Ray, for the link to the video. The larger version does look like it flies smooooth as silk.

Daddy-O
Daddy-O is offline Find More Posts by Daddy-O
to remove ads between posts
Old May 08, 2007, 04:49 PM
I'm not flying backwards!
Oshawa, Canada
Joined Sep 2004
3,753 Posts
Bob, nice job on the BB. It should fly as good as it looks.

Tony
Tony65x55 is offline Find More Posts by Tony65x55
Old May 08, 2007, 06:10 PM
Check my blog-updated
Columbus,Ohio
Joined Nov 2005
2,133 Posts
Tony, this looks like a winner. Great job and keep the info comin'-- may try to have one built soon.
Mayday!Mayday! is offline Find More Posts by Mayday!Mayday!
Old May 08, 2007, 07:11 PM
Dismembered Member...
Niagara Falls/Toronto area
Joined Dec 2003
4,536 Posts
Tony: I hate to rain on yer parade here, but Styro doesn't interest me much. I've been collecting blocks of EPE at work from various electrical gadgets (that most folks won't have access to, unfortunately ) However, a bit of dumpster diving (or asking nicely at the local electronics place i.e. future shop etc) should supply you with a ton of the stuff, as they use it for packing. It's much more resilient than Styro, and much cheaper than EPP (as in free ).

Brad
arx_n_sparx is offline Find More Posts by arx_n_sparx
Old May 08, 2007, 08:27 PM
AMA 14680
Northern Nevada
Joined Mar 2007
1,581 Posts
Thanks Tony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony65x55
Bob, nice job on the BB. It should fly as good as it looks.

Tony
Should be interesting. I borrowed the electronics, battery and motor from Porky. This one is a lot lighter than the SE5. It weighs 11.9 oz compared to the SE5's 17oz. Bob
Foamenator is offline Find More Posts by Foamenator
Old May 08, 2007, 09:38 PM
You deserve my opinion
Collierville, TN
Joined Apr 2005
1,497 Posts
Bob, Wow! That is a great looking Blu-Baby Bird Dog! You sure have a gift for building beautiful planes! Looking forward to a maiden report. Hope to finish my second one soon. Can I ask how you did the graphics? -Pat
FirstShirt is offline Find More Posts by FirstShirt
Old May 08, 2007, 10:18 PM
AMA 14680
Northern Nevada
Joined Mar 2007
1,581 Posts
BluBaby Graphics

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstShirt
Bob, Wow! That is a great looking Blu-Baby Bird Dog! You sure have a gift for building beautiful planes! Looking forward to a maiden report. Hope to finish my second one soon. Can I ask how you did the graphics? -Pat
Hi Pat. I downloaded the Stars and Bars from the RC Group Scale Site. I used Microsoft Picture Editor to get the sizes I needed. I made the text using Microsoft Word, scanned them and used Picture Editor to get them to the size I needed since Word doesn't have big enough font sizes for the wing text. I printed them out on to Avery full sheet label material (#18655). There are ten sheets in the pack for about $12.00. It took two sheets. The labels are pretty clear and have adhesive on them. Depending on the surface, you might have to use some clear sticky glue to get a firm bond. I didn't put anything on the bottom of the wings to have some orientation. Have fun.... Bob
Old May 08, 2007, 10:22 PM
AMA 14680
Northern Nevada
Joined Mar 2007
1,581 Posts
Tony's Design will fly for sure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddy-O
That Blu Baby Bird Dog looks great! You did an excellent job painting it. It looks like it is going to fly like...well....a Blu Baby Bird Dog should!

Thanks, Ray, for the link to the video. The larger version does look like it flies smooooth as silk.

Daddy-O
Thanks Daddy-O. If Tony designed it... it will fly well. The SE5 is a blast to fly. I'll give you a report on this one tomorrow, weatherman permitting. Bob
Old May 08, 2007, 11:36 PM
KZ RIDER
Confederate States of America
Joined Nov 2001
1,037 Posts
EPE???
Ray
raythomas is offline Find More Posts by raythomas
Old May 09, 2007, 12:51 AM
You deserve my opinion
Collierville, TN
Joined Apr 2005
1,497 Posts
Blu-Baby #2

Here's my second BB. I sure like this design, but the next time I build one I'm going to send it to Foamenator to decorate! (Bob, thanks so much for the graphics info. That BD sure looks tempting.)

This one is also an EPP fuse with Depron wing and tail feathers.

Motor: Westport 22.5mm/20T
Prop: 9047 SF
Weight: 7 oz w/o battery

This little motor should put out around 10 oz of thrust on a 2-cell battery, so s/b plenty of thrust.

Hope to maiden it tomorrow if the wind is calm.

Thanks again, Tony!
Old May 09, 2007, 03:24 AM
Joined May 2006
2,854 Posts
I think EPE is that foam thats a lot like EPP but not as flexable and real strong. I have seen it and always wondered if you could use it but after seeing EPP being used anything goes. But I think EPP is ugly. And thats my $0.02 USD

Ken
nubee 1 is offline Find More Posts by nubee 1
Old May 09, 2007, 06:31 AM
KZ RIDER
Confederate States of America
Joined Nov 2001
1,037 Posts
Hey FS, I noticed yours doesn't seem to have alot of dihedral, how well does it turn with rudder only?
Also, on the plans, it shows the top of the fuselage where the wing goes on to be flat.
Wouldn't it be better to cut out the foam on the fuselage sides to match the bow or arc of the wing itself so when you rubberband it on it would match more perfect?
Or am I missing the point totally??
Not wanting to change the overall design, just curious.
Thanks Ray
raythomas is offline Find More Posts by raythomas
Old May 09, 2007, 07:17 AM
You deserve my opinion
Collierville, TN
Joined Apr 2005
1,497 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nubee 1
But I think EPP is ugly. And thats my $0.02 USD

Ken
Ken,

You have a point on the EPP. That was my first impression too. After building several planes with it, however, I've really come to like it. It's very hard to make a nice undercam wing with it without a lot of reinforcement, but a fuse is easy. EPP has a certain flex and durability to it that give the plane a little different quality, esp on landings. I has a little "bounce" that I love to see on touchdown.

I got tired of crunching Blucor and Depron, and Blucor especially seems to "ugly-out" over time. EPP keeps its looks longer (even if it's a ugly ), takes a hit with a little more grace, and is usually easier to repair. It tends to tear rather than break or shatter. So, I keep going back to it when making a fuse. I've gotten used to the appearance--and have even come to like it.

Pat
Last edited by FirstShirt; May 09, 2007 at 10:06 AM.
Old May 09, 2007, 07:35 AM
You deserve my opinion
Collierville, TN
Joined Apr 2005
1,497 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by raythomas
Hey FS, I noticed yours doesn't seem to have alot of dihedral, how well does it turn with rudder only?
Also, on the plans, it shows the top of the fuselage where the wing goes on to be flat.
Wouldn't it be better to cut out the foam on the fuselage sides to match the bow or arc of the wing itself so when you rubberband it on it would match more perfect?
Or am I missing the point totally??
Not wanting to change the overall design, just curious.
Thanks Ray
Ray,

Actually, the wing has more dihedral than the photo may show. I gave it Tony's recommended 1.5" on each side. It flies great with rudder only.

I see what you mean about the plan appearing to show the fuse to be flat on the top where the wing attaches. Actually, the curved line you see at the very top of the fuse template is cut into the fuse itself. If you're doing an undercam wing, just ignore the straight line underneath the curve and cut the curve in the fuse. The wing will sit on top of this curve.

Check the fuse pix on post #24. This may help you visualize what you see on the template.

Tony may want to clarify this, but I believe the straight line is there for those who want to build the BB with the K-F style wing (which is flat on the bottom). In that case, ignore the curve and cut the top of the fuse straight.

Hope this makes sense.

Pat
Old May 09, 2007, 07:43 AM
I'm not flying backwards!
Oshawa, Canada
Joined Sep 2004
3,753 Posts
A very short tutorial as to how to cold roll a Blu-Baby wing has been added to here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...31&postcount=1

If you are unsure of the forming process this will amaze you. It's pretty easy.

Pic 1. After rolling the airfoil, flatten it a bit so the camber is the same for both. Make sure they mate together nice and straight. Block up the tips and you'll see where material has to be removed in order to mate them after the dihedral has been sanded into the wings.

Pic 2. After the dihedral has been sanded in, glue 'em together. I normally use a bead of hot melt. After it has completely cooled (dried?) I take a thin bead of PU glue and rub it into the joint. When it expands it assures complete adhesion. I put a half width strip of duct tape, preferably white or black, across the top of the joint for looks and strength. It also assures the PU glue doesn't ooze out the top of the wing. Under the wing, I cut a popsicle stick halfway through, bend in the dihedral and hot melt it to the wing at the 33% chord mark. This is also the CG point. Lastly, I run a strip of fiber reinforced tape across the bottom of the wing, tip to tip. This tape is brute strong a gives a great deal of strength to the wing without adding any appreciable weight.

NOTE: This plane was designed as a primary trainer and was designed around the GWS IPS motor system. If you are goiing to put a powerhouse motor in it, additional bracing may be needed. On the Blu-Baby Park (GWS 350-C), I used bamboo wing struts.

Tony
Tony65x55 is offline Find More Posts by Tony65x55